B2 Chapter 49: Casting Off
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The caravan had finally reached Port Ealar by around midday, the journey was tense, not a word was spoken. Each remaining member of the group fearful of somehow attracting the monster, even the ponies and Gulgul appeared to understand the underlying tension present. It was only once the thick walls of Port Ealar came into view that the group released a collective breath.

“Father… Father… DAD!” Vexariz was so lost in thought he didn’t hear his daughter until she screamed into his ear, causing him to grasp his ear, a pained expression across his face. “GODS Damn it girl! What is it!” Vexariz yelled back, while making sure not to spook the ponies.

“You didn’t answer the first few times. I wouldn’t have had to yell if you had been listening. Anyway, that’s beside the point, I want to know what you saw? What was that thing?” It tore those Karsi to shreds, and if it stays in the area, it could block off the quickest route with Port Ealar!” Cauaria had brought a valid point, such a beast could seriously harm supply shipments between the two towns. Grenne provided much of the refined ores needed for trade overseas, with Port Ealar importing much of the food supplies Grenne requires.

“I know. The situation has changed, but if that thing is roaming the mountains, then we will have more to worry about soon enough.” Vexariz turned his attention to Anselm, the boy saw the look in the man’s eye and let out a sigh as he shrugged his shoulder. Understanding that the chieftain needed him, and it would be a difficult task.

Sure, enough Anselm’s instincts were correct in this regard, as Vexariz reluctantly ordered him to head back to Grenne and organize the defense among other things. “Anselm my boy, I’m sorry. You are the most capable at commanding and strategy. I need you to take whatever troops Ealar can spare, even a single soldier. Start by bolstering Grenne’s defenses against a mass Karsi invasion, and if the chance arises before we return, press into their mountains, and construct a fortress to repel both man and beast. Do you understand?” A big smile lit up across Anselm’s tawny features.

“Do not worry chief, I would be more than happy to fight for the clan. After all vacations are not for me, besides you will be wishing you had remained when hearing of my exploits. I will push back the Karsi and hunt them within their own mountain strongholds!” Anselm was confident, and he had a right to be, he was a very capable commander, but lacked the skill to translate that success onto the sea. While numerous truces and agreements kept the tribes at relative peace with one another, the boy had not had much opportunity to prove himself. Yet here it was, the perfect opportunity to test his theories, he would never miss the chance.

“We should send a hawk back to Grenne, let them know to send a patrol to scout the area. If it is still operating in the area, we will have all our clansmen circumvent that road. That will reduce possible casualties until we return from meeting with Lord Amyntas, we’re already running behind schedule as it stands.” There was little more Vexariz could do at the moment, if the beast was what he assumed it might be, then it was more akin to a natural disaster.

Allowing Anselm to act independently was best, he could polish his skills while acting more effectively to changes on the ground. Thus, he gave the boy one of their horses and sent him on his way, while they made for port, he would head for the city proper. After which he would assemble what he needed and depart for Grenne as soon as he could, the rest would be his decision to make. The crown of command that he was bound to one day wear as a member of the chieftain’s family, soon he would realize what that truly meant.

As he watched Anselm ride away, Vexariz turned to the others, “If anything, the Boss will know what to do… they call it a Gralg, a fearsome alpha predator. They are rare, but we had encountered something similar within the dark forest once before. That beast had been wounded when we found it and its cub, but still it managed to kill six members of the expedition… Keep in mind, boss Caedyrn only brought his elites, and that four-armed bear still managed to kill six of them. Spears shattered trying to penetrate its steel like shell, while it’s claws, and teeth had no trouble tearing through our shields and armor. So please, don’t try anything stupid, just wait until I talk with the Boss… Okay.” Most of those present were aware of how skilled the Scholar’s troops were, and if it was an expedition filled with members equal in capability to Vexariz, then their skills were easy to discern. Yet even so, such a group of hunters, while outnumbering their prey fifteen to one still ended up taking heavy casualties.

The idea of such a creature was a sobering thought, even more so when it came to how close it was to their homes. They could only hope it returned to the western mountain range which ran up the entirety of the island, at least then it would be far from them. Silence permeated the group once again, the members simply watching in silence as the walls of the town grew larger.

The sheer cliffsides which sheltered the bay towered overhead, casting their shadow over the port below. On this day the docks were filled to the brim, from common fishing boats to the larger Kurtian merchant ships. All in addition to the Balearii raiding vessels which could be seen returning from yet another raid, their decks stocked with food, gold, and slaves.

“Tritus, lead us.” Obeying the chieftain’s orders, the old sailor led the caravan along, many of those along the path taking notice of the caravan, more specifically the large crimson bear trundling alongside them. Those who were regulars, particularly the more seasoned Balearii raiders, instead took notice of the fiery haired man and woman seated within the wagon, placing their fist upon their hearts in a show of respect.

“Dad, are we going to be hopping aboard one of the raiding biremes? Because I think we need at least a trireme to fit our own troops along with the cargo, and the existing crew and oarsmen.” Sabina and Anselm couldn’t help but agree with Cauaria’s assessment, neither vessel was large enough for their needs, and she was correct. However, unbeknownst to her and everyone other than Vexariz and Tritus, the Sawtooth was no mere vessel.

Vexariz grabbed his daughter into a mighty bear hug, crushing her as she struggled and yelled curses at the laughing man. “Fear not my little Firestarter, we will be sailing on neither a bireme, nor a trireme, just calm yourself… You will be begging me for one of your own soon enough.” He finally let go of the girl, only to receive a swift kick to the shin.

“You better be right, or else you will never hear the end of it old man.” Cauaria crossed her arms and sat back, her eyes skimming over the calm bay, observing the many ships as they traveled to and fro. Opposite her Sabina was staring at Vexariz with a curious expression upon her face, as if she was holding herself back, a fact Vexariz easily picked up on. “Child, if you want to ask a question, go ahead. I won’t scold you for it… Just yesterday you were willing to strangle me for breaking your concentration, yet now you hesitate to ask a question?”

“I was just wondering, the modified weapons you had me work on for the past month, were they for this ship?” Stroking his beard, the man took a few seconds before answering.

“No, not necessarily. They were designed so that they could operate on this ship, sure. But they were also designed to be placed on defensive emplacements and even biremes and triremes. The weapon was broken into parts for such a purpose after all.” As Vexariz spoke his eyes were drawn to the middle two wagons, the covers obscuring the cargo within.

“We have arrived Chieftain.” Tritus cut in, before Sabina could continue the conversation. Vexariz didn’t show much of a change in expression as the vessel came into view.

The Sawtooth was a sleek ship, with a thin protruding nose at the front, it sat low upon the water and possessed some ports upon its deck for the placement of oars. However, what differentiated the vessel from any other were the three masts rising from the center, bow, and the stern, with the central mast the larger of the three. Not only did the mast rise higher than what would be seen on a normal galley, the Sawtooth sported several triangular sales, as opposed to square sails.

“Well boys and girls, we have a bit of a journey ahead of us. So, let’s get to loading the ship and head on out. I’m sure there will be many guests in port surprised to see the notorious shadow ship leaving port.” Vexariz couldn’t stop laughing as he dragged the equipment on board. The ship had always remained docked in a hidden cove, obscured from view. Yet its reputation was well known in the half year it had operated within the Adrite sea, assailing Aletrian pirate fleets and strongholds. Raiding and pillaging Lyrian colonies all along the southern coast of Galia, the survivors only ever speaking of how the ship seemed to appear and disappear into the darkness.

1