B2 Chapter 59: Into the Mist
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trio of Caedyrn, Maatilani, and Malakos cut their way through the few remaining obstacles in their path. By now the soldiers had figured out the trick to putting down the difficult to kill human sandbags, they weren’t exceptionally skilled, their movements were dull and predictable. Their only redeeming feature as a fighting unit lay in their capacity to take a beating and continue fighting without running out of stamina. After peeling away the hoods a strange growth was discovered, it resembled a flower bud but fashioned from pulsating flesh, burrowed halfway into the base of the pirate’s skull.

This was the source of the undying warriors, none of these men were alive, they were long since dead, the growth simply mimicking surface level thoughts and actions. All the while eating away at the body’s internal organs and structures to regenerate damaged flesh. By cutting away the head they had severed this connection, and without access to enough material for regeneration they had been left in a starved state, unable to repair the losses. Caedyrn unceremoniously tossed the severed head over the side of the ship before smashing the door to the captain’s hut at the tail end of the ship.

Wood splintered and the door snapped off its hinges, falling onto the blood-spattered deck with a loud thud. Yet what the three found was an empty officer’s quarter, barely fifteen feet in any direction, more a small hut with a table and blanket in one corner.

“Looks like we just missed them, hmmm… they don’t really have anywhere to go anyway. So, I guess we can search the room… Perhaps we will find something of value.” While Maatilani and Malakos searched the nearby desk and shelf filled with scrolls. Caedyrn’s attention was drawn instead to the map of the Syroneika and the surrounding lands, specifically the trade routes and the markings upon its surface. A vindictive grin spread across his face. “With this the pirates will have nowhere to hide, I’m sure Vexariz will appreciate this gift.” Rolling up the lengthy piece of papyrus and depositing it into the inner side of his coat, Caedyrn was just about to check up on the other two when the sound of something snapping reverberated through the room.

Before any of the three could make a move to escape the cabin, the ground below their feet collapsed, dropping them eight feet into the level below. The darkness here was unnaturally dense, as if it were a thick mist, hanging heavy in the air and obscuring vision. It was only the sparse streams of sunlight descending through the damaged section above which appeared to keep the mist at bay, causing it to reel back as if it were alive.

“Hehe!” A spinetingling inhuman laughter rang out from all around, the three took up a defensive position, near one of the largest pillars of light. “We meet again so soon… Did any of you miss me?” Emerging from the darkness was a horribly disfigured woman, her body was a mess of limbs and roots. Her face or what was left of it was locked in what could only be described as a moment of suffering. Flower buds the size of a child’s hand were spreading across the body, a black sap like substance slowly mutating the remaining flesh.

Malakos was the first to act, charging forward, his eyes burning with rage and untold hatred. The spear in his right hand thrust outwards like a snake, twisting mid-attack following the motion of the man’s wrist as he aimed for its left breast where the heart would be.

Rafflesia, having learned her lesson earlier did not intend to pull her punches, choosing instead to go all out and seriously eliminate any threat to her currently weak and exposed form. Multiple spiderlike wooden limbs erupted from her back, darting forward two aiming to stop the incoming spear tip, and another two to skewer Malakos through the chest. Maatilani however had not remained idle, quickly moving forward, and using her newfound abilities to deflect both limbs before slicing one at the joint. Whereas Malakos’s spear failed to reach its target, yet still managed to shatter one of the limbs, the newly inscribed weapon glowing with magical light and forcing Rafflesia to retreat further into the dark mist.

“You have grown weak creature, where is all that arrogance you showed when you stabbed me from behind! Perhaps you are only skilled at killing old women and defenseless children… not quite the all-powerful creature you make yourself out to be. Will you continue to allow a weak and insignificant human like me to insult you like this?” Malakos excelled at aggravating others, whether consciously or unconsciously. He possessed an uncanny ability to know exactly what to say, and when to say it in order to infuriate others.

“I’ll kill you!” Rafflesia shot out of the darkness like an arrow from a bow, soaring through the air, ready to rip Malakos apart with her bare hands. Yet she had blinded herself to her surrounding, focusing entirely on one target while forgetting the other two. That failure earned her two big hits, the first was a single arrow piercing through one of the growths on her arm, almost immediately that limb went limp, hanging loosely at her side.

Next came Maatilani who got between the two combatants, her bulwark ability flared up, reflecting the full strength of the charge back at the dangerous creature mid-flight. This action had the same effect as if a cavalry charge ran head own into a brick wall, at full speed. Limbs bent or cracked under the pressure, sending her backwards in the opposite direction, smashing into multiple rows of benches and turning them into kindling.

“Before you die why don’t you tell us where your boss is hiding. I’ll at least make it quick.” Caedyrn aimed his bow towards the downed creature, its body struggling to repair the countless injuries inflicted upon it. Even in such a state it remained defiant, unwilling to submit to those it considered lesser. However, whatever Rafflesia thought, and how she felt had little effect on the man opposite her. Instead, he rapidly unleashed a pair of arrows toward her.

The first was deflected by her singular remaining spiderlike limb, but that was all, the second arrow struck around her waist. Only the very tip of the long arrowhead managed to pierce the wooden armor like structure encasing parts of her body. That was enough though, as she began to scream out in pain, the area around the wound burning, the plant killing poison not enough to kill her, but more than capable of weakening and injuring the abomination.

It was at this moment, before Caedyrn had the chance to nock and release another arrow to end the enemy, or for either Malakos or Maatilani to finish the job that the darkness rushed forward creating a thin barrier around the injured Rafflesia.

“Well, well… looks like the boss has beckoned me. You two take care of that one, I fear that what lies ahead is too much for either of you.” Maatilani tried to move forward to stop her leader, yet the mist once again stood in the way. Fluid like water, yet firm like stone, it was only when interacting with the light that it grew weaker, its form slightly dissipating in the heavenly glow. “Stay back Maati, this is not a fight for either of you. Believe in me and await my return. Better yet, finish off that thing and help the others, those soulless puppet soldiers will be far more challenging I feel than this thing in its current state.”

Maatilani wanted nothing more than to object and run to Caedyrn’s side, yet there was no way for her to deal with the mist swirling in the vicinity. It was not something that she knew how to deal with at the moment. She could only grind her teeth in frustration, watching as her liege disappeared into the darkness, to face the enemy alone.

So, Rafflesia clearly has a bone to pick with our main group, and we'll see how all this plays out now that they're fighting on their turf. Good thing they got those new powers, hopefully you all enjoy the coming chapters. As always we will have a lot of action, but also some new bits and pieces of the story will be revealed, tying into the overarching plot.

Later,

1