B2 Chapter 66: Choice of two Extremes
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Stop right there…let’s…not…be rash.” Rafflesia struggled to speak through her new host, first having to remove the blood clogging his windpipe. “You wanted want your dear brother to die… do you?” Spurius had moved in to cut down the monster nesting within his brother’s corpse, all the while hearing Sabina’s yells, reminding him that it wasn’t his brother. Yet he could not help it, his body and mind hesitated, unable to do what he knew had to be done.

“My brother is already dead; it is my duty to return his flesh to the earth. You are an abomination, and I will strike you down!” Spurius took a step forward, but Rafflesia held her hand up to her host’s throat, calling the young man’s bluff. His footsteps halted immediately, his legs and arms shaking as he struggled with himself, parts of which hoped, prayed that his brother was still in there somewhere, but knowing that he was fooling himself.

“That’s a good little boy, your brother’s soul is in my hands. Let me go and I won’t subject it to eternal pain and suffering. So, why don’t you take a few steps back.” Spurius, as much as he detested the creature before him, followed its instructions. Watching silently as the last remaining strands of dark energy were dragged out of the crystalline item in its hand as well as the corpse of the other monster at its feet. “Now, you just stay right there, let me finish up and I’ll make sure your brother’s soul doesn't disappear. A favor between the two of us, so long as the soul persists, I’m sure we can find away to transplant it elsewhere. But while I am weak, I will need you to do your best to stop your friends… otherwise, I can’t guarantee your brother’s safety.”

Spurius stood there motionless, glaring at the parasite leeching off his brother’s corpse, his head turning slightly at the sound of heavy booted footsteps. Running towards the two was Sabina, fully armed and armored, her two-handed Warhammer raised, ready to crush skulls and smash bones. Spurius would have to make his decision now, he had two options, stop the woman, and allow the creature to escape, trusting that his brother remained alive somewhere within. Or to accept Paulus’s death, and to cut down his mortal body with his own hands.

“Now is the time! Make your choice boy!” Rafflesia yelled out towards the hesitant young man, the voice of his brother causing him to flinch, the shaking only growing more intense. Sabina was close now, soon she would be upon them, and she would not hesitate like he was, and with it any hope of his brother’s survival. The tenseness in Spurius’s body settled, the shaking stopped and the grip on his blades hardened, it was clear that in his mind a decision had been made.

“Fuck!” Spurius cursed his fate, cursed the world, screaming why his brother had saved him. Spurius had always looked up to his brother, and their adoptive father and mentor Viriato, being the youngest among them. He had already lost one, but now he had lost the other as well, what had at first been a dream of freedom and adventure, had become a nightmare filled with death and loss.

Spurius turned his back to the creature and charged forward, tackling Sabina to the ground, and wrestling away her weapon. “I’m sorry, I can’t abandon the chance that my brother may yet still live. I can’t forsake my only family. Please understand and don’t resist.” Sabina although she could see the young gladiator’s bloodshot eyes, feel the tears of remorse falling upon her face, she could not risk that creature escaping.

A swift kick to the groin left Spurius reeling, after which Sabina used her impressive strength to cast him aside before stumbling over to her weapon. The movement of the ship and wetness of the deck created a surface that wasn’t quite stable, slowing down Sabina’s speed and the time it took to retrieve her weapon and regain her balance. By that point Spurius was standing, his legs still a little wobbly from the earlier hit, but still ready to stand in her path.

“Hurry up abomination, we are not friends, and I will not kill for you! So long as you keep your end of the bargain I will aid in your escape.” It was clear that there was no love between the two, a business transaction with Paulus’s soul as the currency at play. Rafflesia had a twisted smile upon its face, enjoying the delightful moment of betrayal, yet understood that the situation was not one in which it could afford to play around. “Of course, boy. I will keep up my end of the bargain. It shouldn’t be long now, a minute or two is all I need to absorb the remaining mana and then I will be out of your sight.”

Spurius had no time to respond to Rafflesia’s reply, he had to move to intercept the relentless Sabina. Although she was angered, and understood that Spurius would stand in her way, she could not bring herself to harm the man, aware of the internal conflict he must be enduring. In doing so she hesitated to swing her hammer, unable to bring it down upon her ally, a reaction he had hoped for and risked his own life to test. Using that opening Spurius was now close enough to engage in hand-to-hand combat, having thrown away his weapons, he attacked with open fists, not wanting to risk injuring the woman more than necessary.

Spurius was quick to disarm her, forcing the hammer from her hand before attempting to force the powerful forgemaster once again to the ground. This time he did not have the element of surprise and having spent many years pounding metal in front of the forge, her stance was solid like the earth. Spurius could not make her budge, no matter how hard he tried, instead being forced to eat one of her fists. That blow being heavy enough that even though he managed to defend against it at the last moment, it still left his forearm red and numb.

“Come to your senses Spurius, I’m sorry but your brother is dead. That thing is not your brother! If it escapes, it will return, and others will die… This is more important than familial bonds… you risk punishment, maybe even execution for your actions! Just step aside, let me do what needs to be done.” Sabina pleaded with the man, wanting him to accept the reality before him and understand the responsibility they all held. They all understood how dangerous these creatures were, could see the things they were fighting, and understand just what they were capable of.

Although hints of regret and sadness could be seen in Spurius’s response, his body language, it was made clear from his raised fists that he had no intention of backing down. At this point Sabina had resigned herself, understanding that no amount of words would persuade Spurius from his current action. So, understanding that she dropped her aggressive posture and simply glared at Rafflesia who was quietly observing the entire affair. Sabina realized that there was not enough time to defeat Spurius and kill her target if she was unwilling to end Spurius’s life as well.

“Well, it seems you have made your decision as well. I’m glad that you saw fit to understand reason. Seeing as how I am done; I’ll just see myself out. Take care children.” Rafflesia chuckled at the two’s suppressed anger, reveling in the feeling. A feeling that immediately soured upon seeing some of the individuals that placed her in such a situation in the distance. Realizing that time was up, she fell backwards off the railing and into the waves below.

Having completed his task, Spurius dropped his arms and lowered himself to his knees. A clear sign of submission to those around him, all fight had been knocked out of him, having understood, and seeking punishment for his actions. For her part Sabina did not leave him, instead sitting across from him and taking the distraught young man into her arms. It didn’t take long before he started to weep, his face pressed into her neck, apologizing profusely, not only to her but to Viriato, to Paulus, to everyone for his weaknesses.

Sabina said nothing, choosing to sit there amongst the blood, guts, and carnage, providing a sympathetic shoulder upon which to cry. Allowing the warmth of her body to provide some semblance of respite for the weary and shattered warrior.

I'll be dropping a new chapter of Alpha-7 today, because I feel like it, hope you enjoy the double release.

Alpha-7: Book 1 Foundations

1