33 โ€“ First impressions are important!
3.4k 8 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zenkai Academy. That was the high school that I went to. A famous academy in Tokyo that was renowned for both its athletics program and its academics programs. One where students had to take exams at the end of each year to be accepted into the next grade.

Failing meant that you would be kicked out. Of course, the academy wouldn't leave you hanging. It would arrange for you to transfer into another school, complete with a scholarship for the rest of your high school career.

In other words, once you were in, you were pretty much set for life. Of course, no one really wanted to be known as a Zenkai Academy drop out even if you got a full-ride afterwards... which meant there was a harsh competition to maintain grades, athletics, etc.

'But none of that means anything to you, right Mister Popular?'

Please don't remind me.

A bright summer morning. Dressed in our school uniforms, Celes and I walked down the road to the subway station.

Zenkai Academy was far, so we couldn't just walk all the way there. At least, not without being late.

I'd tried once. It had been awkward explaining to the security guard at the gate. Especially since I was flustered and sweaty at the time... meaning he misunderstood some stuff.

In short, awkward.

But anyway, we were walking to the subway station.

Like usual these days, Celes was by my right side, happily clinging to my arm and humming a happy song while we went about.

And also like usual these days, Ren joined us midway with a short greeting before walking in step alongside us.

But then...

"Yo! Kimura-san! How've you been!"

A random blonde male student whose face seemed vaguely familiar.

"Sen-kun! You look as cute as ever!"

A bookish female student wearing red-rimmed glasses who I also vaguely recognized.

I did my best to pretend like I remembered them and smiled. Nodding my head, I said, "I've been well. And ahaha... I'm not that good looking."

Celes frowned and tugged my arm. "Do not degrade yourself, Sen."

'Right! What Celes said! You're a super cute trap!'

Like you're one to judge, oh disembodied voice in my head.

'I do have a body! You just can't see me yet!'

Suuure.

'Ooh, just you wait! The next time I get to spin the gacha, I'm going to make you eat those words! The embarrassment you're going to get...!'

Ren cleared his throat and said, "We're going to be late at this rate. Come on." Ignoring the other two students, Ren grabbed my other arm and started dragging me forward.

Celes stepped closer to me, pointing blocking me from the other students, and then started dragging me along too.

Those other students let out an awkward smile, but then started walking behind us.

...And then more people showed up and started drawing towards me as well, like buzzards to a corpse.

'More like flies to honey, but I guess you would be a dead man if those ravenous people had their way with you?'

Please don't remind me.

I sighed, doing my best to avoid the crowd of people staring at me and then hopped on the subway with Celes and Ren.

...Please let there be no weird incidents.

-VI|IV-

There were no weird incidents.

But as if to make up for it, the moment we got to school and walked through the front gates...

"You! New girl!"

...A group of high school girls led by a snobby girl wearing the Zenkai academy student council badge around her arm showed up.

Objectively, the snobby girl was pretty. Setting her attitude and the fact that she was one of the crazies who stalked me all over the place aside-

'Ooh, you've got a fan club of yanderes? Where do I sign up?'

-She wasn't half bad.

Light brown hair, strikingly pretty facial features that were a mix of Japanese and Western features. Above average bust-size... which meant bigger than most of the other high school girls around.

And someone who's name I still didn't know since she always bugged me about dress code and insisted that I would look prettier if I wore a skirt like the 'other girls' instead of introducing herself.

It seemed like she was the Student Council president though? Or maybe head of the disciplinary committee?

Well, not like it mattered. Celes was much prettier than Miss Snobby anyway.

'๐Ÿ‘'

HOW are you talking in emojis?!

'XD'

Celes blinked and then tilted her head. "Can I help you?"

Ren sighed and then waved at me. "See you in class, Kimura-san. I'll tell the teacher that you're going to be late again."

"O-Oi!" I turned towards him and said, "You can't just bail on me like this!"

He ignored me, quickly running off into the distance towards the school building.

Miss Snobby looked at Ren, but she focused her attention back on Celes.

At the same time, the girls closed rank around us forming a loose circle.

A commotion started up as the other students started filtering into the courtyard. But as expected of high school students, they immediately pretended like they didn't see anything and headed inside.

Great.

'๐Ÿฟ'

You are *not* helping.

'You're right! I'm having fun watching!'

@#$@#.

'But I'm your lovable system B-word, right?'

Go #$@$ yourself.

'Tried. But I'm not a futa, so-'

"Step away from Sena-chan!" Miss Snobby stepped forward and pointed at Celes. "She belongs to everyone, not just some pretty girl like you!"

...

'Pft!'

Celes blinked and then turned to look at me. "Is this normal in your academies, Sen?"

Miss Snobby turned a bright red and gnashed her teeth. "Daring to drop honorifics for Sena-chan?!"

I sighed. "Ignore them, Celes. My classmates are all a bit..."

Weird? Crazy? Batpoop insane?

'All of the above.'

"...Well, let's just say it's not worth the trouble."

I started walking towards a gap in the encircling group of girls, intending to force my way through.

But before I could take a step, Celes let go of me.

"C-Celes?" I blinked and looked towards her.

She shook her head and said, "It is fine. This is what you asked of me."

[Your Partner, Celestine Elizabeth Pendragon, has joined your Career Mission]

Eh?

'??? That's weird. Since when can other people accept your missions for-'

"My name is Celes Muraki." She stared down Miss Snobby and said, "And I will not have some inconsiderate banshees like you and your followers swarming my beloved Sen."

"Banshee?" Miss Snobby laughed and cracked her knuckles. "Fine. Girls? Let's teach this girl a lesson."

Huh. This setup seems awfully familiar.

'Ooh! Is that snobby girl going to get trounced like some random mob in a trashy romance novel?'

Celes looked around at the group of girls and said, "I am not one for violence. But if you intend to stand between myself and my love... So be it."

"If I can't have Sena-chan, no one can!" Shouting those words, Miss Snobby ran forward. And as expected of the cliche development, the other girls ran forward as well.

...Wait. Can Celes even fight?

Celes suddenly blurred, charging at the attackers.

And then people started rag dolling through the air before landing on the grass nearby.

...Well. Guess that answers that question.

'XD Looks like Sennie-pooh just got demoted to main love interest instead of MC.'

S-Shut up! I am *not* a random side character-

[Congratulations! You have obtained the title: <Main Love Interest>]

...I hate you.

'Love you too~! Platonically. Don't want to get wrapped up in your love polygon with Celes and the crazy yanderes in your life.'

I sighed and then pulled out my phone.

Might as well answer some comments while Celes setting out the pecking order...

88