Book 1 – Prologue
6.4k 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
The first trailer for Fables of the Void Animated series has landed, go check it out here

 

These are the Fables of the Void…

 

An epic journey of cosmic proportions will take us to the far reaches of our imaginations. Tales will be told of worlds and peoples, heroes and villains alike, contending across the cosmos to wield a supreme power that would allow them to command the universe. These legendary and magical powers, granted to the souls who’ve relentlessly hunted it down, gave promise of abilities so extraordinary that the wielder would never again be limited by the laws of the universe.

 Some knew this mysterious and magical energy as The Void, and to others who were more knowledgeable of its nature called it The Nihil. It was no easy feat to find this mysterious cosmic power. However, those who stumbled upon and took possession of it did not anticipate the consequences of its eternal curse.

The Master of a clandestine Order that ruled over mankind since the onset of interstellar travel was one of those seeking the power of The Nihil. For decades Thanatos Velix sought a greater understanding of this mysterious power by studying ruins he had found on a distant planet he called Dessix. These ruins confirmed an age-old myth. One that many scholars and travelers of the galaxy endeavored to uncover.

A mighty entity in the form of a man emerged from a Grand Temple on the peak of a mountain. He stood alone on a planet far from civilization. The man stretched out his arms and displayed such great might that he was overwhelmed and consumed by it. The energy destroyed all life and everything surrounding the temple, including the mountain on which the temple stood.

The myth originated with those who claimed to have witnessed this horrific event unfold firsthand. They managed to escape the world of its origin to warn the galaxy against the power they’ve seen, fearing it would go to other worlds destroying everything in its path. Those who knew where to find the planet passed away long before any expedition could be planned. However, the myth endured throughout the ages, but the world it originated from was lost forever.

For thousands of years, people thought it a mythical tale and that those it originated from were suffering from a common space-traveling infliction said to make one lose their mind and hallucinate strange things. Finally, however, to Thanatos, the planet was found, and the myth was confirmed. And with it, a strange new reality.

Inscriptions on the ruins found on Dessix likened the entity to a man void of any living cells. Descriptions of the abilities of this entity told of powers he possessed so unimaginably powerful that it would enable the entity not only to ruin a mountain and turn the landscape around it to chaos and dust but also destroy an entire planet and turn it into a lifeless ball of rock and sand. The magnitude of these powers described on the various ruins had such a profound impression on the aging Thanatos that he permanently relocated himself and his Order to Dessix in the hopes of finding the source and wielding it himself.

Thanatos passionately believed that the ability to consume or destroy was not The Nihil’s only limitation. Instead, he felt its capabilities could be extended to create and shape things around him and make whatever he desired become a reality, including the resurrection of those he once lost.

To make his residency on the planet more permanent and create a base of operations that would assist him in his search for the ruins on Dessix, Thanatos enslaved the local population and forced them to build him a Citadel that towered high into the skies of Dessix. The fortress would become the headquarters of the clandestine Order Thanatos Mastered over; he was called the Epsimus or Grand Master of the secret organization known as the Order of the Ipsimus.

In the depression in which the Citadel was built, more ruined pieces of what Thanatos believed was the old temple built where the entity destroyed the mountain lay scattered. Many of the stones had writing on them, but they were mostly incomplete. The wisdom the old Epsimus believed these stones possessed kept him confined to the planet for most of his elderly years, causing great strife and division within his clandestine Order. Nevertheless, he was adamant in his quest of finding the source of this power and wielding it himself to rule absolutely over the galaxy.

Once all the pieces were together, the aging Thanatos believed he would be able to decipher the words written on them, and the secrets to obtaining these abilities would be revealed to him. The only thing standing in his way from reaching this goal in time was his aging body and the imminent betrayal within his Order.

With science, he has managed to achieve the ancient age of three hundred and twenty years. Only a few of the most elite people in the galaxy could afford the treatment that would increase the number of their days far beyond what was naturally possible; however, time was running out for Thanatos, and the treatment seemed to have no effect on him. His body was aging rapidly, his mind was fading, and the Order was moving against him. His final hope of acquiring this power before his end rested on the shoulders of his successor, Izzar Velix.

9