The piano kid
23 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The flakes softly tapped my head as I walked into the cafe. I sat down at the seat near the glass windows, it was an exhausting evening. I looked out whilst the soft melody of the piano started playing, as though it tried to soothe my heart. The latte was maybe a little too sweet than I was expecting after looking at the cute kids running around. I smile and put down my phone. Feeling a little lost in my own emotions I forgot about the real world as I slipped into my own small comfort zone.

♪~The first feeling of the look in your eyes/ 

Was it my own misunderstanding alone?/

With your bright smile, you turned me into a fool~♪

 

His voice felt warm and as though it enveloped the cafe from the cold snowy evening. Soon it was only three of us in the cafe, the boy with the angelic voice, the barista and me. As I started regaining my consciousness I let out a tiny chuckle as the song had stopped and so did the piano but the boy hadn't left, I could feel his silhouette standing ahead of me. 

"Yes?" I asked with a face that was still smiling.

"Candy?" He had a rather husky voice, 

"Pardon?" Surprised by his voice, I stared at the boy for quite a brief moment. "That candy, can I have it if you wouldn't mind?" "Hm, this?" I point at the choco bar and pass it to him with a smile. Smiling brightly he bowed as he tore the wrapper and stood in front of me being all clumsy with the wrapper,

"Should I help you with that?" He looked flustered yet lost as he obediently gave me the chocolate. 

"Here, is that okay?"

 "You're pretty.." I could hear him whisper beneath his breath. "Ah-Yeah," he looked at me for a moment and looked at his chocolate. "You can take this" he sounded innocent as he pulled up his hoodie, "I'm fine, you can have it" picking up my coat I ruffle his hair. 

 

As I stand at the door I jerk away as my eyes lay on the young man running towards me at his full speed "holy-" quickly moving away I stare at the man who stopped right before me. "Eugene?! Holy heaven, what the heck happened to you?!?" He stared at me for some time while he was catching his breath, "will you speak or not?" I felt my harsh tone which was expected, I always had a soft spot for Eugene of all people. It was normal for me to react that way. "We need to talk-" just as Eugene started speaking, the cafe door dingled as the piano kid walked out. "Ah," maybe the disappointment in his voice was a little too loud. He just looked at Eugene who looked back confused and walked away. "So as I was saying…. SHE ACCEPTED MY PROPOSAL!" The excitement in his voice and those cute giggles he let out between his sentences reminded me of the old memories.

 

"Wasn't that obvious? Everyone knew except you" shaking my head as his smile kept getting wider with each word almost as if he would soon rip apart his lips . 

"Look at you getting married before any of us" I smile and look away, it wasn't sadness or anything but just the thought of how fast time flew by, it felt like yesterday when we sat together in the canteen skipping classes. 

"Also, how do you know him?" He stopped walking as he gave a serious look.

 "The piano kid?" I tilt my head in confusion. 

"Yeah, that guy" 

"Mhm, not really, why?"

"He looked familiar, really, really, familiar. He looked manly, didn't he?" I laugh amused. "Well, he did look handsome if I were to tell the truth."

 "Yeah! And what about the company?"

"What about it?"

"Stop acting like you don't know," I just sigh and try changing the topic to avoid answering. What about it? I wonder that too from time to time, maybe I have a lot to let out. 

We talked about Emelia (Eugene's wife), as we continued walking towards the cross road. 

"I'll get going now, get home safely, Lia might be waiting so hurry on" I wave as I could feel nostalgic about the good things, the bad things and maybe the unreasonable ones too.

 

Stepping out of the elevator I quickly rub my tired eyes.

 "Are you okay?" I turned to find the piano guy who seemed in a bit of a hurry as he almost bumped into me.

 "Mhm," I reached out for the dangling mini chest he held above the huge cardboard box 

"Moving in...I suppose?". 

"Thank you." He let out a tiny laugh as he nodded "Where to?" I smiled back without clearly giving a look as my curtain bangs were really living up to their name and covered my slightly swollen eyes. "520 and 637" I looked up, forming a hasty eye contact as to avoid showing my itchy eyes and before I could reply,

"Are you...?" I could hear his concerned tone clearly.

"Ah hm, not a concern. We're neighbours so… I'll be in your care." The exhaustion started creeping up as I opened the door to my room.

"Can I get your number?" I look back at him slightly raising my eyebrows, not that I was being weird but it's funny if someone you just met asks for your number unless they are interested in you, right?

 "We're neighbours now, as you said so in case-" His flustered face was cute as he tried to make his question less awkward which in all honesty wasn't working.

 "You won't have to worry about it." 

"That's good too" his pretty eye smile was too angelic. He stood there smiling at me until I stepped in, as if it was his own way of comforting me. 

"Strange" taking off my shoes I stare at the mirror in front as I recall his room numbers.

 

"Isn't it strange that both of his rooms are beside mine?" 

 

Ruffling through my hair I put it in a messy bun. "Meoww~" my eyes sparkled as I heard the tiny purrs from the bedroom, "Neo! You tiny little lovely thing" rubbing his fat belly I fell in love with him all over again. "Did you miss me? God, your mom really has it hard" I let out a loud sigh followed by tears, tears and more tears. I just didn't know anymore, "why are you crying, Xia? Do you have something to tell me? I can listen to you so go on, tell me." I always asked that to myself, sitting in my study with Neo on my lap looking as elegant as can be while my fair skin now just looked snotty and red. *Knock knock* Putting down Neo, I quickly wiped my face and unlocked the door.

 

"Hel-" Oh, shoot, my hair, quickly shutting the door I turned around to look at the mirror behind and brushed my hair pulling the band from the bun. 

"-lo" he stood there in front of the door smiling, that's all I remember, maybe it was the overwhelming emotions or maybe it was just his presence at the moment my heart fluttered a little like a child finding candy in their bag. 

"Yes?"

"I- this may be too much to ask but I need your help- I know it's late but I hope you can help me, please?" His eyes held a whole different universe in them; they were very expressive like now; they had a tinge of worry in them.

"Hm? What is it?"

"I need to get to the S.K.A University, can you please.."

Living in the 21st century where the internet is a thing and people are as active as can be it was funny that he bothered asking me but if I wasn't being too much of a narcissist then maybe he wanted me to catch a breather.

"Sure, can you wait here? I'll get my coat!"

"Really? Thank you.."

"How much time do you have?" I point at the candy at the table, signalling him to get in as Neo continued to stare from across the room.

"Oh? Oh- around 15 minutes….you are a strange lady…"

"Mhm, I hear that pretty often, what baffled you?"

"You wouldn't share your number but you want me to come into your flat? Me? A complete stranger?"

"You don't look strange enough to be called a stranger plus you have a pretty smile." I could see his smirk as I put Neo his cat cereal. 

"Mommy has some work to do, baby. Eat your dinner and go to bed, okay? Don't play for too long! Kay? Are you listening?" "meow~" "Good!" Slowly rubbing his head I kiss his tiny forehead, "Bye!"

 

"So, where are we going?" He followed me behind like a cat that has taken interest.

"To the university?" The oblivious question was unexpected

"I mean- do you want me to book us a taxi?"

"Get in, I'll drive." I put on a smug face as I put on the seatbelt and take a deep relaxing breath after my hours of tears. 

"So, you really think I have a pretty smile?" His voice was excited as he munched on the chocolate bar I passed at the apartment. 

"Mhm, and? Why the uni? Are you a student?"

"Do I look that young?" 

"Mhm"

"Hahahaha, a friend of mine just called, I need to pick up Zen!"

"Zen? That reminds me I've never asked for your name."

"Me? Ah-yeah, I'm Lucifer…"

"Cute…" I whisper under my breath as I park the car and get down.

"Lucifer, do you know where exactly 'Zen' is going to be?"

He stared at the building for a brief moment and turned around. "Is this a university? Why does it look never-ending?"  

"Fufufufu~ It is one of the best universities in the world, of course it's going to be huge" quickly checking his pockets he froze up.

"My phone-" I could see the corner of my lips go up as I handed him the phone. "Eh..?"

 "You forgot it at the couch while petting Neo, I was waiting for you to realise,"

"Ah... I- Thank you.." I could hear him sigh of relief as he did his thing, you know? The pretty eye smile and because I stood much closer to him this time I realised he had moles on his pretty wheatish skin.

"1,2,3,.." as his moles caught my attention I got closer to look at them without realising I got a little too close. His face got flustered as I slowly tapped my fingers against his soft skin. Maybe this was an episode of 'get to know me' because finding out his ears and hands turn red with embarrassment was hilariously adorable. 

"I'm sorry, they looked pretty" letting out a giggle I ruffle his hair. "Did he reply?" I looked around as I kept asking him about this person after certain answers it was clearer that this 'zen' wasn't a human. 

"Zen is a cat, Lucifer?" "Yea"

"He's a cat?" "Yep," 

"Why didn't you tell me that sooner?" 

"I thought it would be better if you met first" he covered his mouth to avoid laughing as I continued asking about Zen's likes and dislikes, his habits and didn't stop until I got a call.

"Don't go anywhere, you'll get lost, got that?" 

"Don't worry, I won't move an inch." Clearly he looked very obedient standing there staring at his phone for the arrival time.

"Mhm, don't move!" Getting inside the car I take a deep breath and pick up the call.

"Yes, dad? What happened? Are you fine? Did something happen? Do you need me to come home?"

"My, my, nothing happened, your mother reacted a little negatively this evening and she just felt sorry so she just wants to talk" I had forgotten the argument I had in the morning maybe that's why I had sadness etched the entire time. Knowing my mother for the past 23 years I wasn't surprised, this was something only she could do and she does each each time. Before my mother could say anything I quickly shouted "I'm sorry.." because at the end of the day it wasn't any of our fault I could hear my parents laughing from the other side after talking about it. Hanging up, I quickly got out to see if Lucifer got the cat.

 

"For the love of me, where did this kid go?! How hard can it be to stand in one place?" I looked at my contacts hoping to find his number and then remembered that we don't have each other's contact numbers. "Come on, Xia, you've graduated from here, you should know this place like the back of your hand, Mhm!" Quickly running towards the stairs I looked through my gallery to find the picture of my identity pass in case the staff had changed. 

 

"Ataraxia?"

"Hm? Professor~?" I waved at her with a huge smile, of course she would be there.

"Is that how you talk to the principal, lady? Why're you here? It's been about 2 years since I last saw you, you've grown up so much! Look at you wearing coats and heels, you truly surprise me each time." She did a little shoulder bump as she stood with me.

"Aunt, really? Didn't we meet at the family reunion last year?"

"It was starting to sound real nice but you have to destroy my pure fantasy each time, kid. Aish~ Did you perhaps bring me a wedding invitation?"

"Again! Didn't I tell you I won't be getting married anytime soon?"

"Zen! Stop running away!" My aunt looked behind my shoulder to see what was happening.

"Lucifer?" I turned around and a grey furry jumped into my arms like it was it's home.

"Oh-I'm sorry, I didn't know Zen wanted to play chase since he doesn't adapt fast.." his voice sounded shaky as though he had been running for quite a while.

"So you are Zen? Aren't you a cutie?" Looking at Lucifer I stare at him for a moment.

 "Is he your boyfriend? Did you finally get one?" She exclaimed looking at Lucifer.

"Aunt?" 

"No, no, no, I am just…" shushing Lucifer I just smiled and turned towards my aunt, "He's a friend, if you'll excuse us now-" 

"Why? Introduce us!! Isn't he handsome? He's perfect for you!" I could feel his lips curve up as I put down my hands from his mouth to avoid the conversation that I knew would take place if we stood here any longer. 

"Aunt, he needs to get home now and so do I. Let's meet later if we have time, okay?"

"Okay, okay, get back home safely, it's already 2AM you shouldn't be at the campus after 1AM, get going now, go. Shoo! Call me after getting home!"

I wave at my aunt as she goes back to the staff room. Slowly passing Zen to Lucifer I wink at him and stretch out my hand. No, but... what the heck was I thinking? With all the smirking he did the entire time I was just getting myself in more trouble. Gripping them tightly he smiled at me, 

"You started this." Trying to avoid the atmosphere I tease him as his ears turn red despite him trying to act cool not too long ago. 

"I- " he shushed himself this time as he looked away, leading him across the hallway. I tried recalling the school map but it has been nearly two years and many things changed overtime. Just as I found the elevator I heard a familiar voice.

"Ataraxia?" The voice only bought back the bad memories. "Yes?" "It's you!" He walked towards me with a stoic face or at least he tried to maintain one but froze when he saw Lucifer holding my hand, "Are you guys dating or something?" "Yes," "No" I turned towards Lucifer and eyed him about why he lied. He just smiled and interlocked our fingers like a natural flirt, which startled me a little. 

".....why are you even at the campus this late? Did you come to meet your aunt?"

 "I could ask you the same and me meeting up with my aunt isn't one of your concerns, is it?"

 "I'm a professor here now!" He continued staring at Lucifer from time to time as if he wanted to ask him something, "What is it, Alex?"

 "Are you sure you're not in a relationship?"

 "Hm? How does that matter to you?" I could feel the little force he exerted on my hand as he gripped them tightly. Gently brushing my fingers against his soft hands I smile at him as a light tint of pink overtook his cheeks. 

"I just- I don't think he will suit you"

"And who may you be to decide that? My ex? Clearly I haven't had one so I wouldn't know but-" 

"Xia, don't tell me are you still mad at me?" I turned and looked at Lucifer as he gave me an understanding smile and walked towards the elevator, "I'll wait," "Lucifer? Here" I toss my keys so he could at least sit inside with the heater and not catch a cold since it was quite a cold night. He just smiled and got inside the elevator. "It wasn't my fault, Ataraxia! Why do you keep ignoring my texts? And are you dating him? Do you like him?"

 

"Alex, before you get ahead of yourself let's get the misunderstandings out of the way. Firstly, don't even dare call yourself innocent or I will be the one who ends your life. Secondly, whether I date Lucifer or not isn't for you to worry about. Thirdly, I don't even have your number so whoever you're texting I'm sure they've reported you by now, so better stop." 

"Why the fuck do you hate me so much!?" His raised voice echoed the empty hallways.

"Alex, stop getting ahead of yourself, I've drawn the line so dark over and over that it has become a wall and yet you act so oblivious. The fact that I'm trying to clear up your inbuilt destructive mechanism is only so that you stop being a jerk and let Claire feel human again, you've ruined her life so now you need to take responsibility." I could feel my body wreck inside, everything around felt like it was floating. As I maintained my posture I could feel Alex get closer.

 

 "If you touch her I will rip apart your limbs." It was the first time I heard Lucifer's bold voice as I almost lost the strength from my legs. "Why're you here?" I shake my head and try to regain a proper vision. 

"Heh. How pathetic, Alex, really, you fool." Punching him with all the bare strength left in me I turn to Lucifer. "Where's Zen?" I try to force a smile. Looking with pure disgust at Alex he grabbed my hands and got me in the parking lot.

 "I knew I shouldn't have let you be alone there, with that bastard."

"Fufufufu~ you hate him? That's funny, you've not even met before, have you?" Just as I unlocked the door I could feel his warm hands holding the door and stopping me from getting in. 

"Hm? What happened?"

 "Are you really asking me that, Ataraxia?" I felt intimidated by his sudden change in behaviour almost as if he had an alter ego. "I'm fine, you worry too much, looks like you know my name now." I could hear my voice get softer compared to seconds ago.

"I have a driver's license too"

 "It feels like you are a whole different person" as if a little surprised he softened his voice, 

"Just sit down" he pushed me towards the other side of the car so I could sit in the passenger's seat. Getting in he let out a tiny sigh as he leaned over the steering wheel, "Don't smile if you don't want to" he took my hands that were shivering not because of the cold air but rather…. God, this hurts my pride but maybe it was because I was surprised. "What do you mean? Of course not" the last thing I remember before I blacked out was seeing him drive as his side profile blessed my eyes with his beauty.

 

 

2