12- The calm… and the storm
3.6k 6 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ahn... What is a... mud bath?" 

Mudrock asked this particular question during dinner.

"Why?" I know what it is but I'm more interested in why she asked.

"An old lady told me that I had really smooth skin and asked what I use to maintain it... I told her that It is because of the mud I make..." Kei said while remembering about the old lady compliments.

"Maybe that's the real the reason your skin is so smooth " I told her since her skin is really smooth. 

"But not as smooth as yours~ " mocked Jalter, followed of a snort. 

"Jealous!? " I responded to the annoying Avenger, getting a little in the defensive. 

"Of your smooth skin? Of course I am~ " Retorted Jalter with a playful voice and a wide grin plastered on her face.

...

Why does it feel like my loss?...

"But I think I ve heard about Mud baths... something about... relaxing, and beauty care?" Jeanne's hurried voice stopped one of our daily banter. It seems like she is already used to it.

"Tsk. You win, this time. But yes, like Jeanne said, mud baths are for beauty care and relaxation. Did they ask for some? " I started to explain Kei about what I now of Mud baths while trying to ignore the grinning Avenger 

Damn that pretty victorious smile of hers...

Mudrock nodded at my question

"Is it special or any type of mud works? " Jeanne has a point...

"Well... it should be a special mud but Mudrock can make something similar if not better with her Arts... I can also paint some people to do the rest... is up to you if you want to do it. If lt becomes something big we could use it as a cover to move around... we may need it in the future... " I told them what I knew. 

I don't know the specifics but I can buy the knowledge from the system if needed. 

"I want to do it... the people in this place have shown me their kindness... now I want to return something to them" Seems like Kei really grew attached to this place.

Is true that she is popular, she became like the daughter of every old lady in this place since this place is a little remote and grow up kids left for bigger places to search for chances and some only return after finishing what they have to do there or... if they fail...

"If you want to do something in return... just bonk some heads with us " Said Jalter while getting up from the table to prepare for tonight's clean up around the town...

"Do you want to come with us?" Mudrock focused on the house defenses and studying magic so she has yet to fight with us or any enemy outside our spars.

"The soil and the rocks around the house are all my friends... I also want to place some of them around the town... " Said Mei while expressing her wish to expand her friends.

"Well. The devils in this town are increasing, we may need her help sooner or later... but don't worry I've also worked hard learning new spells " Even Jeanne was getting annoyed by the devils just flying away... at the end we all agreed that flying magic is necessary if we are going to fight them. learning something new and interesting seems to have awakened some kind of childish curiosity for spells within her.

Still... 

I made some preparations for the worst case and Jalter is already using it so...

"I also made yours... let's go, Jalter should be waiting inside " I told them while making my way toward ond of the walls.

With that said I made a door to where the 'preparations' are waiting for us...

After entering, for the surprise of the two, the first thing we saw is a much older and fully equiped Jalter, looking more like her real self.

"What took you so long. I almost went out by myself " Said Jalter who was looking at her own body, trying to get used to it.

The most impactful thing is the second Jalter laying on a table, a young body that we all know of since it is the Jalter that we live with.

The second body is just laying on top of the table without moving, with a calm and steady breathing, as if sleeping

While another table with the name 'Mudrock' and another with a 'Jeanne'. Both are surrounded by many Mana batteries and a giant tube filled with [Ink].

"The idiot didn't explain it to you right...? Right, I'm going then. See ya." Without wanting to listen to my explanation again, she went through one of the doors leading to the town.

Leaving us behind.

"It was supposed to be a surprise... well this is the thing I've been working on. As you can see Jalter helped with it. This makes another body, a fake one based on your original selves... For Jeanne, the body is going to give you a boost in strength and of course your adult appearance, as for Mudrock... I don't know about the strength since she was summoned at her peak "I told them a little about how it works...

This is done based on my observations of [Dusk].

The same way I do with [Dusk], this brings out both Jeanne and Jalter real strength temporarily, in a crude and forceful way that requires mana... tons of it. A couple of months worth for each of the bodies.

"That is... amazing. How safe is it? " Asked Jeanne intrigued about the specifics.

"This body is temporal and will only last for at best four or five hours in a continuous fight. Aside from the strength the most important thing is that you will go back to your real bodies once the fake one disappears " I told them while getting on my own table, setting an example on how is done. 

"Do I have to lay here? " Jeanne is the first one to do so, she seems eager for it. Not without a reason, she is the one who usually got stalled and surrounded by devils due to the defensive and support nature of her spells, and combined with her lower strength due to her being a child...

I guided her step by step while Mudrock just followed Jeanne as an example... Someone who lived as a mercenary can easily understand the utility that lays in a safe way of retreat. 

Mine got a while to get used to, especially to the tail since I decided to go full [Dusk] for my disguise...

It took a while for Jeanne to get used to her new body, Mudrock didn't have this problem since the only difference with hers is the horns and those are only hidden during the day since they are not exactly 'normal' in this world...

It didn't took too long, more like a feeling of going throw a ramp then landing in a new place.

After a little bit of trying the new bodies, we are ready to get outside...

But even before we stepped outside, just by opening the door a little, our noses were assaulted with the smell of burnt, smoke and ashes...

At first we expected the normal scene... but instead of a lively and flourishing forest what while found is a sea of hot and scorching heat, flames and trees whose leaves have been burned and its wood and life turned into a fuel to the fire...

"¡Jeanne!(Jalter)" I panicked... I didn't took me a second before dashing towards the place where I felt Jalter was.

I moved toward her after sensing her general direction, with Jeanne following shortly after.

But Mudrock seems troubled with something...

'Down worry about the earth, Jalter flames won't expand if she doesn't want to' I tried to explain to Kei, I know she gets worried for things like this.

'Even if she looks like that Jalter knows how to control herself...' Jeanne voiced her opinion, even if twisted, in a way Jalter is still in a part like herself. 

The strong grip on the pole of her flag, the strength behind each of her steps and her serious face showing her worries and eagerness to stand and protect her other self.

Hearing our words and sensing the general situation of the earth made her stop worrying about her possible friends... 

She knows the soil in this place is a lot stronger than in her past world. 'Magic' seems to strengthen everything, and as long as the soil can murmur. As long as it can dance. it is her friend...

'Jalter, what's going on? ' My voice carried a hurried and worried tone without realizing

'What took you so long?... I see... Fufu, did their new bodies appear naked like the first one I did?Did you enjoy the view?' Said Jalter trying to sound calm and collected.

Even when joking and trying to sound as if everything is all right, even when trying to hide it, her voice contained hints of Exhaustion.

if they can corner Jalter in so little time...

Dammit! What is an idiot like this doing in her territory... 

This town is under that idiot rule!

---- . ----

AN: 

Question.

Am I doing a good job with the characters? 

I tried to talk more about Jeanne and Mudrock since I felt that they were being overshadowed by Jalter due to both of them being the more silent type.

88