Chapter 16: One Sane Person In A Group For The Mentally Impaired
195 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elena soon arrived at the doors leading into the library and pushed them open.

After she did Bruno appeared in her line of sight. He was sitting at a large table with a map of Cornith stretched across it. He was currently marking down various positions on the continents while drawing routes connecting those same positions.

She made her way over to the table asking as she approached, "You've found the others?"

"You could say that. But in the process, I have also discovered quite a bit more. Let's wait for the other two before we discuss it. Though I'm pretty sure I know what their reactions will be, much like I know what yours will." 

His tone contained an overwhelming sense of assurance in his own words as he continued to work.

A mocking light shone in Elena's eyes as she scoffed, "Oh, so my egghead of a cousin thinks he knows everything does he?"

"Well, with this Tome Of Knowledge in my hands, I'm not too far off from being all knowing. And besides, after all he has done for all of us, I really don't see how any of you could be swayed from my initial estimation of how your reaction when I tell you of David's current predicament." He responded matter-of-factly.

Elena clenched her fist as she said, "I won't deny that you are mostly likely correct in your estimation of our reactions. But that doesn't take away from the fact that I really want to pound on your face right now. Because, as I am sure you know, I wasn't far off from fusing my Spatial and Barrier Magic, a prerequisite for the complete Awakening of my Bloodline. Calling me away from cultivation sets me back, especially in this period of adjustment."

"I know how important taking that step is for you. And since that is the case, I normally wouldn't interrupt you. But the current situation needs our immediate attention. We need to decide our next course of action so that we can make the necessary preparations. So just relax, Natalia and Justin will be here soon." 

As he spoke, he lifted his head up and gazed directly into her eyes.

She took note of the sense of urgency in his expression and released a deep sigh as she unclenched her fist.

"Very well. But I'm still going to kick your ass later for interrupting me, so be ready." She nodded in acceptance before responding with a noticeably softer tone.

She then began to wander around the library, perusing the maps and books arranged haphazardly throughout.

Soon after, Natalia and Justin walked through the library's threshold.

"Natalia, Justin, I am sorry for the interruption but as you have surmised, I have in fact located the others." Bruno was the first to speak as the two approached.

"Y-you were eavesdropping!?" Natalia exclaimed and a slight blush surfaced on her cheeks as she understood the hidden meaning within his words, struggling to maintain her composure.

"While it was an accident and I am sorry about it, yes I did in fact overhear quite a few things when I channeled my Divinity in order to locate the others. You're not the only ones trying to adjust to an altered physiology you know, and when I channeled the Divinity, it further heightened my already extreme sense to the point that I couldn't fully control them." Bruno spoke in an apologetic yet matter-of-fact tone, as he defended himself.

Justin moved to stand in front of Natalia before he leveled an aggressive glare at Bruno. He then spoke with an authoritative yet imploring tone, "I understand your predicament, but I suggest you figure it out quickly."

Bruno then felt a palpable sense of pressure weigh down on his body and the space around them seemed to freeze. As a result, the ambient Mana turned static and the flow of air ceased, making it difficult to breath.

Bruno's complexion slightly paled under the pressure, yet he didn't give in and instead meet Justin's gaze head on as golden light once more filled his eyes as he spoke firmly, "I have already apologized so please, put this aside for now as we have much that we need to discuss."

At this moment Elena walked over and spoke on Bruno's behalf, "Justin calm down for a moment. I admit he is in dire need of a good beating, but at the moment he still needs to tell us what he discovered. As such, I ask that you do as I have, and put aside your grievances until after he relays the others' current state of affairs to us, and we come up with a decisive plan. I assure you it won't be too late the beat him then."

As Elena spoke Natalia managed to recompose herself and stepped up to Justin's side. 

"It's okay Justin. It wasn't completely his fault, and I trust he'll soon have those ears of his under control. As such a similar mistake will not occur a second time." She spoke to him in a soothing tone before turning her gaze towards Bruno and asking, "Will it?"

The gaze she turned upon Bruno gave off a sense of warmth, and her tone was gentle, yet carried an inviolable sense of authority. And as her cousin he knew just how terrifying Natalia could really be, as such her tone and gaze did nothing but cause his very soul to shiver.

There had been many a time when someone within their inner circle had done something to gain her ire and suffered grievously as a result. Yet none dared to retaliate as not only was Natalia herself capable of taking any of them one-on-one with her unique combination of Earth and Summoning Magic, but she also received the unconditional support of "The Iron Tower" Justin, her fiancée whose adoration she had gained when they were just lids. 

On top of that, David, who was their leader in all, but name viewed her as a caring elder sister and would do just about anything to make her happy. This included helping her deal with those who held a grievance with her.

Bruno nodded his head in affirmation and managed to maintain his outwardly composer as he responded with a small stutter, "O-of course not! I will soon completely adapt and as such there is no need to worry."

Yet he cursed internally as his soul experienced a slight tremor; "Dammit, that vulnerable and embarrassed appearance that she made in a moment of shock threw me off for a second. For a moment there I had truly forgotten that she's the one in the group that everyone does their best not to offend, aside from Emily that is. Though even that psycho does her best not to stir up unnecessary trouble with Natalia. I just hope that when we do eventually regroup with the others, she doesn't mention this. If she does with David's personality, I definitely won't have an easy life in the future. Although that maniac seems easygoing on the surface, he's always the first to resort to violence... Dammit I may be the only normal one within this group! Yeah, now that I think about it everyone besides me has some form of mental issue."

The atmosphere began to ease as Justin cast a final almost apologetic gaze towards Bruno. Yet when he saw a strange light flashing about within Bruno's eyes, he could only release a sigh loaded with a complex array of emotions.

He knew what Bruno was thinking and said to himself, "Which one of us hasn't at least once thought we're the only sane one in a group of the mentally impaired."

He knew just what type of woman his soon to be wife was, but he was also aware that all of his friends and even himself were far from normal in the eyes of others.

And as if to prove that point Elena spoke up at this time, "Good, I am glad to see that you all have come to an understanding. This means I don't have argue with you two for the honor of giving him his first ass kicking since we have arrived on this world."

Bruno came back to his senses and have a rueful sigh as he remembered their earlier quarrel and thought to himself; "She lives up to her Title as "The Overly Aggressive Otaku."

He quickly shook his head in order to disperse such thoughts.

"Hm-hm," He cleared his throat before speaking aloud, "Now that we got that all cleared up, shall we get down to business?"

Announcement
I'm very sorry about the long wait between this chapter and the last. Unfortunately, a few things came up, and then every time I got back ready to write, I couldn't quite catch my flow and whenever I wrote some dialogue it felt unnatural. So I just took some more time to think about the characters and the ways they interact with one another both as a group and individuals.  And it worked I'm really gaining a feel for the characters now, and I have to say I like where the story is about to go. Anyways it looks like us students just gained a really long summer break. I hope everyone is staying safe in this time of crisis and taking the necessary precautions. Also as of Tuesday I have officially graduated high school with an Honors Diploma. ???Hip! Hip! Ho~ray! Hip! Hip! Ho~ray! Hip! Hip! Ho~ray!??? Three cheers for Azu! 

?? 

~~~~ Anyways, Azu Out!

5