Chapter 20: Earth Crushing Strike
121 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monstrous roars echoed out from all sides as countless Orcs charged through the now fracturing barrier of wind.

As he witnessed the barrier fracturing in multiple places Eric's expression suddenly darkened.

His eyes then began to glow with cerulean light and he channeled his Divinity to its highest extent.

Three pairs of cerulean wings unfurled on his back and a holy aura descended upon the surrounding forest.

He stretched out his hands and countless blades of cerulean wind manifested in his surroundings before rushing outwards to cut into the second wave of Orcs’ bodies.

Countless Orcs roared in pain as the blades of wind whipped them into the air and sliced into their bodies.

He motioned once more with his hands and the blades of wind came together to form a western dragon in the sky above.

It released a Heaven Shaking roar before diving down towards the ground devouring a group of fifty or so Orcs as it became a storm of cerulean wind.

It continued to transition between the two forms as it laid waste to countless Orcs and the surrounding forest as a whole.

Elsewhere Marcus had been drawn into a battle of endurance against a group of 50 or so heavily armored Orcs and another group of 20 or so Orc Mages and Archers that had pinned him down.

Yet, his strength continued to grow as the battle drew on due to his Inherent Skill [Battle to the Death].

As a result of said skill; the longer he fought the more power was drawn from his Bloodline and the higher his strength would become at the cost of his Vitality.

Due to these effects, this skill would be suicidal if it wasn't for his other Inherent Skill [Battle Ground]; which made it so that the area one thousand feet around him would become a Battleground. Every enemy within the Battleground would have their vitality siphoned away, with said Vitality then flowing into his body and becoming his. 

His enemies would also have their minds clouded with bloodlust, impairing their thought processes to a great extent.

In addition to that skill he also activated [Armor of The Battle God]. This skill drew power from the earth below him and formed a nigh impenetrable suit armor formed from crystalline rays of light. The armor defended against all attacks both physical and magical in nature.

These three skills used in conjunction made him an almost impossible opponent to overwhelm with pure numbers, and as such; let alone these 70 orcs, even a few hundred would be meaningless.

Alexandra was also surrounded on all sides by Orcs, but she proved to be as unaffected by numbers as Marcus, stealing the Orcs' Vitality in order to heal her own wounds while piercing through their vitals with her spear, ending their lives instantly.

She also releases pulses of black light to cancel out the attacks of Mages while deflecting the innumerable arrows released by archers with her spear.

Elsewhere Elizabeth had activated [Awakening of The Beast] which elevated all of her stats by multiple times by pushing the circulation of her Divinity into overdrive.

She now appeared to be a streak of golden light as she flickered across multiple battlefields attacking Orc Mages and Archers; severely impacting the Orcs' overall ability to effectively release AOE attacks or pin down the others.

From beside Eric, Sabrina manipulated countless arrows condensed from golden-red flames, inflicting fatal wounds to many Orcs, and limiting the combat ability of countless more.

"This isn't going to end any time soon. The sounds of our earlier battle drew over more Orcs than the original 300 or so. If I wasn’t sure there was a large-scale settlement nearby before, I definitely am now." Elizabeth spoke telepathically as she continued to dart about.

"Can you tell the situation of Carter and the others?" Sabrina asked.

Carter was the name of the team captain assigned to the group tasked by the Yverian Empire to watch over them during their training in various relatively lower-leveled Dungeons.

He was powerful enough to register as an S-ranked Adventurer, having reached the 6th Rank. And as such he was capable of fighting evenly against an Orc King.

His five companions had reached a similar level of strength and composed a party consisting of a swordsman (Carter), one paladin, two archers, one mage, and one healer.

As such; the balance and individual strength possessed by Carter's group would be of significant help to Sabrina and the others in overcoming their current predicament wherein they faced increasingly larger numbers of Orcs.

Elizabeth knew what Sabrina was thinking and spoke with some sense of disappointment, "No such luck. I took a look earlier and as it turns out the party of Orcs they encountered earlier did in fact consist of the Orc King, his Courtmages, and his Generals."

"If that's the case we'll just have to fight them off ourselves." Marcus voiced his opinion.

"And how do you propose we do that?" Alexandra asked.

"A single Super-Large Scale AOE attack that wipes them all out in an instant." He responded simply.

"That could work, but making such an attack would expose one of us to countless attacks due to the preparation time required while also placing the rest of us at risk of being caught in the blast." Eric showed some resistance to the idea.

"He's right." Sabrina contemplated before agreeing with Eric's sentiments.

"I have a solution, I will use Earth Crushing Strike while the rest of you fly up into the air in order to avoid the ensuing shockwaves," Marcus responded.

"Can you survive under all their attacks long enough to launch your own?" Elizabeth asked.

"Of course," Marcus responded with zero hesitation.

The others fell into a contemplative silence, hesitating over whether to leave him alone on the ground to face the Orc horde by himself.

"We'll do it your way then, but first everyone uses your non-super-large scale AOEs to thin out the horde in conjunction," Sabrina spoke.

"My pleasure!" Alexandra responded enthusiastically.

"Of course," Elizabeth smirked.

"No problem." Eric nodded in affirmation.

"Let's get this thing started!" Marcus's eyes released a fierce light.

Sabrina waved her hands and the countless fire arrows exploded simultaneously killing a large number of Orcs.

Eric aimed his bow before him and pulled it as far back as he could. The countless blades of cerulean wind rushed into it forming a solid, crystalline arrow of the same color.

After Eric released the arrow it flew out at a speed surpassing sound and pierced through tens of Orcs before eventually releasing an explosion that destroyed everything in 500-foot diameter.

Elsewhere Marcus lifted his foot to give the ground a mighty stomp.

The ground in a 300-foot radius of him trembled before giant cracks opened up along its surface, swallowing up countless Orcs.

Golden streaks of lightning seemed to blossom in the depths of Elizabeth's eyes as she stood in the middle of the battlefield.

Blades of windswept outwards with her as the center and bolts of golden lightning blossomed on her swords.

She continuously swung her swords outwards launching streaks of lightning into the crowd of Orcs surrounding her.

The lightning then jumped from one Orc to another eliciting countless shrieks of pain.

Alexandra rose into the air in the center of all the chaos and stared at the Orcs below.

A black-light once more filled her eyes.

Countless Orcs once more died instantly under her gaze, their Vitality flowing into her ceaselessly.

As she acted Eric flapped his wings and ascended into the air alongside her.

Golden gales of wind also lifted Elizabeth gently up into the air after them.

Flames blossomed on Sabrina's back and condensed into a pair of golden-red wings possessing immaculately arrayed feathers and she then rose into the air as well leaving just Marcus on the ground below.

Looking at the countless corpses belonging to their comrades the remaining Orcs felt extreme bloodlust.

They released shiver-inducing roars and their eyes filled with a bloody light as they trained their gazes on Marcus's lone figure and rushed in his direction.

Marcus released a laugh as he spoke telepathically to the others, "It seems that we pissed them off. Though I can’t say that wasn’t intended on my part."

"Yes we did, it seems that we underestimated the extent to which our actions would anger them," Eric commented.

"Well, any being capable of organizing in such groups would react that way to the slaughter of the same species of beings. Let alone their brothers in arms. It's a good thing we targeted the Mages and Archers specifically with our attacks or that dimwit would be in trouble." Alexandra responded to Eric.

Indeed their most recent attacks had killed off the remaining Orc Mages and Archers leaving just the Heavy Armored Warriors.

Marcus placed his full attention on the approaching horde of Orcs that now number in the thousands and revealed a dauntless smile.

He gave his foot another stomp and a giant wall rose up from the ground enclosing a 100-foot radius around him.

It stood around 200 feet tall and 10 feet thick.

He stomped again and another one rose up within the first standing 20 feet taller without even the tiniest gap existing between each wall, leaving him with 80 feet of open space in every direction.

He then stomped 3 more times creating five walls in total, each one taller than the last.

"That should give me more than enough time," He spoke to himself.

Just as he spoke the walls began to tremble as the first wave of Orcs smashed into the first wall.

After a while they gave up trying to destroy the walls enclosing him and instead stabbed their weapons into the first one in order to form foot and handholds so they could scale it.

Marcus ignored the cacophony of noise they produced and focused on channeling his Divinity.

His eyes released a golden-brown light as similarly colored ripples spread outwards from his body.

He raised his halberd skyward, gripping it with both hands.

He then closed his eyes and sent his Divinity into the halberd, causing it to release golden-brown light as well as the Archaic Symbols on its surface were lit aglow.

He continued to hold such a pose for no less than a minute before the entire section of forest surrounding them began to tremble and its gravity pulsated.

Many of the Orcs scaling the walls instantly fell down to their deaths under the sudden change in gravity.

At that moment his eyes snapped open revealing a fierce light and he slammed his halberd onto the ground beneath his feet.

Announcement
Azu here, 

This should be the last chapter of Cornith for the week and as you can see I have settled on writing at least the first volume in a non-linear format similar to the first season of The Witcher. Soon the perspective will switch back to David and show most of his journey up until the time when Bruno and the others "Arrived". After that, we switch back to Bruno's group for a while before finishing up the first volume at around 40 chapters.

This is where I shamelessly insert a link to my discord server where you can view character pics and get status updates for my chapters; https://discord.gg/JDVN5PC .

Azu out!

3