Chapter 12: Close Combat
187 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are the two of you willing to share your names yet?" David questioned leisurely as he looked up at the two women hovering in the air above as lightning continued to flash about.

He was surrounded on all sides by the survivors of his last attack.

They were staring at him with shiver-inducing gazes, full of palpable bloodlust.

His continued appearance of leisure did nothing but further incite their rage, and it was all they could do not to lunge at him and strip him of his life.

"The only thing I am willing to share with you is the feeling of death!" The dark-haired woman spoke with an ice-cold tone of voice.

"I am truly sorry, but I will have to decline such pleasantries, as I currently have many obligations that I must fulfill. And those obligations require me to be alive, but sadly even if I were to entertain thoughts of meeting my death I am sure that it wouldn't be your turn to introduce me to it." David gave an embarrassed laugh as he cupped his hands politely.

The woman obviously didn't see the humor in his words, as her grip tightened on her sword's pommel, ready to draw it and swing at a moment's notice.

After a moment of silence, thunder once more boomed illuminating their figures. 

When it did tensions exploded as countless magic-based attacks streaked through the air towards him from every direction.

Yet, as soon as those attacks came within a certain distance of him they vanished like smoke, as he exerted his control of the world through 'World Sovereign' in order to forcefully neutralize them and drain the Mana contained within.

"And so it begins." He spoke as he launched attacks of his own toward their weakened forms.

Countless spears of earth sprung upwards from the bowels of the earth and swept in every direction in conjunction with countless blades condensed from the transparent wind.

Those around them did their best to defend against his ferocious attacks with shock flashing through their eyes as they had expected him to be weakened after his previous attack.

At this moment a bird-shaped Demonic Beast swooped down from the air above and attempted to snatch him up, its talons that looked as if they could easily rip apart refined steel outstretched. It was emerald-green in color and gales of green-colored wind swirled around its body. 

David's eyes slightly widened into surprise due to its sudden attack, yet he reacted quickly; reaching upwards as a sword made of condensed lightning instantly took form and his hand and stretched upwards for tens of feet, penetrating through the bird's chest and extending from its back.

Golden-colored lightning then exploded outwards from its body as it released an ear-piercing screech and its body convulsed before dissipating into ash.

This entire sequence of events took place in less than three seconds, and yet in that slight moment of distraction, countless tree roots resembling eastern dragons surged up from the ground below in an attempt to bind his body's movements if not reducing him to paste.

The roots neared him in the blink of an eye and he rapidly moved his mind and the earth around him surged upwards, forming multilayered walls in defense.

This split-second maneuver only managed to impede the roots for an instant, but in that time he focused strength in his legs and launched upwards from the ground like a rocket.

He performed a backflip in mid-air and a circular pad of air took shape beneath him allowing him to stand in the air hundreds of feet above the ground.

As he got ready to launch another attack upon those down below a shadow appeared at his back, launching a deadly attack.

A blade constructed from pure darkness fluctuating between gaseous and solid forms slashed forwards in an attempt to separate his head from his body.

A rotating shield of wind brimming with Mana appeared at his back in order to briefly block the attack.

He then swiftly spun around and the attacker was revealed to be the dark-haired woman.

Her hair billowed behind her and her blood-red eyes shined brilliantly in the night sky, her expression calm.

David's expression reflected her own as a two-handed sword made of golden lightning instantly took shape within his hands and he activated his Inherent Ability; 'Bestowment'. This ability allowed him to bestow objects with Heaven-Defying powers and abilities.

Once he activated 'Bestowment' time slowed and an unstoppable flood of Divinity escaped through his palms and rushed into the sword. 

The sword took on a solid form, seemingly made from golden metal radiating a sacred aura. Its blade was four-fingers thick and decorated with complex markings carrying an ancient aura.

Goldenlight circled the blade naturally, and it seemed capable of piercing the Heavens above and Hell bellow with Angles, True Demons, Deva, Worlfgaurds, and Humans shivering at its might.

The sword's transformation was completed in a mere instant and David ran his gaze over it with rapt attention.

"This blade fits in my palms perfectly and a piece of my soul seems to have fused creating an incomparable sense of familiarity, and I sense an Anima being gestated within." He thought to himself as he felt a sense of connection to the sword and a small presence slowly taking form within a sky-blue gem set in the sword's crossguard.

At this moment the shield of wind gave out with the last vestiges of its power absorbed by the blade of Darkness.

The woman slashed her sword once more with murderous intent and a calm face.

"Boom!"

David instantly reacted and parried her blow, a distinct explosion resounded in the sky surrounding them as air exploded outwards from the point of contact between their two swords.

His sword constantly emitted a brilliant golden light that resisted the devouring force of her attack that continuously grew in power, whipping the air surrounding them for miles into a frenzy. 

He promptly began to channel a greater amount of his Divinity into his sword stirring up its power as its markings began to release golden light which illuminated the surrounding darkness, further restraining her sword's attacking force.

"Hmph!" She released a snort of indignation and her form became illusory.

She then began to launch an unceasing sequence of fatal attacks from every direction, placing him on the defensive.

"Interesting." He smiled as he erected an impenetrable defense and countless arcs of golden light appeared in the air around him, forming an inescapable net that impeded her movements.

The woman's movements became more nimble as the speed and force of her attacks increased progressively.

"Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!!" Explosive sounds broke out every time their swords made contact, wreaking havoc on the world around them.

Long-ranged attacks continued to fly towards him at opportune moments, forcing him to split his focus between altering their trajectories through 'World Sovereign', and defending against the woman's lethal sword that desired to devour him whole.

But, as they fought he began to adapt to her attack patterns and his own movements smoothed out.

"There it is, I'm starting to see it." He spoke, and his sword danced beautifully, lighting up the night sky with brilliant rays of golden light. 

He began to anticipate her attacks moving to block before she even made her attack, occasionally launching attacks of his own and making her defend.

Yet contrary to his own expectations he still couldn't gain the upper hand.

Even as the woman was occasionally placed into a defensive position, her expression remained composed. Her attacks continued to grow in ferocity as her sword devoured and assimilated the power contained within his own.

"Truly interesting, I haven't had such a stimulating sword fight since way-back-when!" David exclaimed as his eyes started to radiate a rarely seen seriousness.

As he lost himself in their exchange his mind began to drift back to the past when he trained in the sword with Akatsuki under her father.

The following events took place in rapid succession in the span of a few seconds.

In the brief instant when his concentration slipped, a spear made from super-condensed flame, hot enough to turn a vast ocean into a desert, ripped through the air a the speed of light. Traveling miles in less than a second it carved a red line in space connecting it to the woman dressed in a pleated skirt. Her appearance was slightly haggard as she had channeled almost all of her strength into that attack. Her hands were facing forward and her wings were outstretched to either side as she panted.

The woman wielding a sword of darkness vanished instantly as she had been waiting for this moment.

The instant her form disappeared David also snapped back to the present due to a grave sense of danger.

He instantly knew that he had no way of escaping from this attack, yet despair didn't surface in his eyes, only embarrassment.

The spear made contact with his back and an explosion once more rocked the Dungeon, as a giant ball of fire a few hundred feet in diameter consumed him within.

The ball of fire was like a miniature sun and scorched the surrounding world.

At this time dark-haired woman once more appeared, standing above the miniature sun, enduring its intense heat.

Her eyes were now pitch-black and her entire arm seemed to be trapped in the darkness released from her sword.

She channeled all vestiges of her power into the sword and slashed the sword downwards.

A blade of darkness carrying an extremely powerful devouring force extended outwards and made contact with the ball of flame.

The two ate into one another before fusing to become a flame constructed from pure darkness. The pitch-black flame then collapsed inwards before becoming a black hole the size of a small house.

5