Chapter 9- Controlling essence
345 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kade chose archery over any other weapons art because archery had the lowest mastery level.  

Although complex, archery was essentially knocking the arrow, pulling the string, aiming and then firing. The sword needed footwork, the ability to parry, to block or evade. Then there were variations of attacks like thrusts, jabs, cuts, and even grappling, all needed in specific times of the battle. Kade didn't think that he would be lucid or calm enough in such situations to pull it off without gravely injuring himself or even dying.  

Hence archery as his choice. If all went as planned, he would have his golems to protect him while he trained. Essentially, he would only need to think about attacking, whereas, with a sword, he would have to evade and attack. 

There were two responses to life-or-death situations: to run or to fight. In almost every scenario, Kade would rather flee. It was a fact that angered him when he thought how weak of a man he was, but that was precisely what he was, a weak man. If he wanted to change that, he had to address the problem systematically.  

He felt that once he had become somewhat accustomed to battle and he didn't fear death. He would attempt close quarter combat. He knew even then it would prove difficult, but his odds of survival would be significantly higher.  

Kade wished he was the stoic type like the Mc's he had read about that could ruthlessly kill unafraid of death and pain. Unfortunately, that wasn't him. Before this, he was just an ordinary waiter, working a low paying job scrounging for tips to survive. It was a whole different battlefield where bending the knee was often the right choice.  

Kade thought back to all the times he had to smile when a customer was belittling him. How any idea he had to improve the restaurant, his manager claimed as his idea. How he was always apologizing even though he was right.  

'I don't want to go back!'  

In this world, he had opportunities. It didn't matter if he was pink, grey or blue. If he wanted strength, he could get it.  

'I will never be trampled on again!' He vowed to himself. 

To achieve that, he knew he had to work hard, much harder than anyone else. To be free, to never have to bow his head. It was all senseless drivel without the strength to back it up.  

Kade placed all his items in the basket, ready for purchase. The total price amounted to 4750 guros. Upon checkout, he wished he still had the 20% discount, but there was nothing he could do about it. At that moment, there was no time to search for skills or other potions to make the best of his purchase. He needed the healing as soon as possible.  

Kade looked at the coupon box and typed THIRD. There was no guarantee it would work, but nothing said it wouldn't. 

[The system commends your greed. All items in the cart have been discounted by 10%. Note that the discount will be null and void if you choose to add more items.] 

Kade frowned when his idea to add more items was taken away. However, in the end, he took a chance, and it paid off. For that, he was happy. 

Kade proceeded to buy all the items at a discounted price of 4275 guros. Now he had 2651 guros left. He wanted to keep enough money in case of an emergency.  

Once everything was bought, Kade opened his system inventory and equipped his new armour. He had to admit, it felt much more comfortable than it looked.  

Next, he took out the skillbook <Basics of Essence Control> and began reading.  

[Welcome to the beginning of magic. Magic is the ability to manipulate phenomena and elements to your benefit. None of this is possible without essence that resides in your soul. 

To get started, first, you need to be able to sense essence. If you can already, you may proceed to the next chapter. 

Essence is invisible to the eye, but it exists. If only it was possible to see essence, would this task be a lot less daunting, but that is the reality we face.   

Now you're probably wondering how do I sense something I can't see. Well, you can't see wind, but you can feel it. You can't see scents, but you can smell them. Honestly, this has nothing to do with sensing essence, but it's an excellent analogy, right?] Kade rolled his eyes, 'Who wrote this.' 

[ To tell you the truth, most of you will find sensing essence very difficult, but there are ways to make it easier. If you have an essence potion prepared, please continue to read here. If not, go to the next chapter.] 

Kade skipped to the next chapter.  

[ If you have someone who can inject their essence into you, then please continue to read here. If not, proceed to the next chapter.] 

[If you are reading this chapter, you most likely don't have any assistance from outside means, meaning you're most likely poor. To improve, you need money; to make money, you need strength. That is the law of this world, but you don't need to be discouraged.  

An overreliance on herbs and potions in your early stages will cause your body to develop an immunity to it. Then once you reach your threshold, you will need more potions to breakthrough. Again, this can be offset by having a lot of money, ergo many potions, but I digress.  

The path you have chosen or were forced into will be difficult but by no means impossible.  

To sense essence, you need to sit in a lotus pose and clear your mind of everything. Once you have entered a tranquil state, your body becomes a conduit for essence to enter. Although you won't feel it yet, essence will be flowing in and around your body and through your essence pathways. Keep yourself in this state eventually you will sense the essence within you. I cannot give you any more than this. Each experience is different to each person so is the nature when dealing with souls. For one person it could be talent-related. To another, a simple ideology could be holding them back. However, once you know, you will know.] 

After reading the chapter, something stuck out to him, 'This author used the word breakthrough and threshold. Is there a level cap, or was the author referring to something else. The writing style gives a cultivation novel feel... But we are in an MMORPG like world where levelling is the way to get stronger, or is there more to strength than just levelling. It would possibly make sense since there are xanxia type of people, so the God told me. So maybe those elements could be included as well. This is a game but also real life. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. It is far too advanced for me right now. I'll cross that bridge when I cross it, it might even be why the author didn't mention anything.'  

Kade cleared his mind and focused on his breathing, feeling his lungs go up and cave in.  He repeated the process for an hour until there was a linear silence in his room, and he entered a tranquil state. Kade activated, <*Chrono vision*> as light twirled around his iris until it got sucked in, turning his eye colour from green to yellow.  

Kade looked around the room. he could see essence in all their shades of colours. Kade looked down into his body and saw his soul as a warm feeling emerged above his stomach area. Kade remembered this feeling; it was the same one he felt as he looked into the full moon.  

Kade disabled his ability, closed his eyes and focused on the warm feeling that slowly grew within his soul. As he did, a whole network of pathways and gates appeared within his mind.   

He saw his soul within his mind. He saw his essence circling in its storage, locked away with bits seeping through and coming out. Kade focused now on the golden lock and willed it to open slightly, and it did. With the gate somewhat open, essence trickled out of his soul and entered his pathways.  

Kade tried to control the essence and moved it along the pathways, but it proved harder than anticipated. Although it was moving, it was very slow. When he saw this, he decided to stop there and read on lest he causes irreparable damage to himself.   

[Skill: Essence sensing  

Type: Passive 

Description: You can now sense essence around you and within you.] 

He saw the notification and swiped it away, then began reading the next chapter. 

  [If you haven't learnt how to sense essence, do not read further. If you have, it is time for the next step (Do not increase your stats before you can control 100EP). After sensing essence, you need to be able to handle it. Look into your soul and open the latch where your essence is stored. Do not open it all the way, as a surge of essence is something you cannot control yet. The essence will storm through your pathways, forcibly ripping them open. Although it won't do permanent damage, you will be in extreme pain and won't be able to practice for several months before your pathways heal. Then there is also the fact that if all your essence leaves your body, you will be in a state of essence deficiency. Symptoms include vomiting, fainting, drowsiness, thirst, hunger, the list continues.  

Now once you have slightly opened the lock, drill your essence through your pathways. At first, it will be slow and might even hurt. Unfortunately, if you are the latter, your talents do not lie in magic, or you're using too much essence. If you have no talent, yet you are dead set on walking this path, I have ways to counter it. This will all be explained in my next book <Intermediate Guide to Essence>. 

Anyway, send your essence through all your pathways until they become accustomed to it, then repeat with a larger quantity of essence. Once you can freely move 1000 EP around your body, whether sitting, walking, or in combat, you have reached the beginner level.] 

Now that Kade knew that what he was doing previously wasn't wrong, he started again. He opened his essence valve slightly, letting some escape. He then guided his essence around his body, forcing it through his channels. He did this for an hour until he could easily transport his essence around his body.  

[Name: Essence Control 

Description: You can now control the essence inside] 

After seeing the notification, he decided to increase the quantity of essence, but before that, he wanted to see precisely how much essence he could control. 

'Status' 

Name: Kade FullLocke  

Title/s: Beta Tester, The World Universe Multiverse!  

Level: 3  

Class: Combat Golemancer  

Subclass: Runemaster  

Health points: 800/800  

Essence points: 950 /1150  

------------------------------  

Attributes:  

Vitality- 11 (+5) 

Strength – 10 (+4) 

Dexterity – 11 (+4)   

Agility: 14 (+5)   

Intelligence – 17 (+6) 

Wisdom – 16 (+6)   

---------------------------------  

Skills: <Contract Soul>, < Summon Golem>, < *Chrono Vision*>  

Passive Skills: <Loved by Essence>, <Nocturnal>, < Language Shmanguage>   

Affinity/s: Time-space (High-Deity), Darkness (Low-Deity), Lightning (High-Demi-God) …  

-----------------------------------  

Attribute points: 8  

Equipment: Xigor Cloth Armour (Common)  

Bloodline: Sealed 

Currency: 2225 Guros 

 

17