An End and a Beginning
2.4k 13 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well. Here we are. The final post for Fatal Attraction. Writing the story has been an absolute pleasure and I'm extremely grateful for all of the readers who have taken the time to read through my work. Fatal Attraction was a newer direction for my writing style so it was nerve wracking to post it early on. I'm very glad it worked out as well as it did.

Now, looking ahead to my next projects. As many of you area probably aware, I held a vote to gage interest in a few different stories that I was considering making my next focus. It was foolish to include, since I already knew it was probably going to win, but 'My Yandere Wife Doesn't Appreciate The Fact That I've Been Transported To Another World' won with overwhelming numbers. I would be a fool not to work on that next and keep up the momentum I've gathered with so many readers interested in Yanderes.

So that's why I'm going to work on 'Focal Point'. That's right. I'm in charge here, not you :P

But in all seriousness I had started writing 'Focal Point' a while ago and had always wanted to make time to go back and finish it so that's what I'm going to do. But rest easy Yandere fans, 'My Yandere Wife Doesn't Appreciate The Fact That I've Been Transported To Another World' will be next on the list. Though it may be long, I plan on including a snippet from each story down below. If you're interested in reading either story, feel free to follow me so you can be notified when I begin posting.

On a side note, I'm launching a Patreon. If you like my work and want to support me, feel free to stop by:

https://www.patreon.com/JTNestman?fan_landing=true

I'm offering the ability to read five chapters ahead on my current project so if that interests you consider joining.

Let the sneak peak begin.

**********************************************************************************************

First is the snippet from Focal Point. This story revolves around an extremely talented teenager who has dominated the world in a totally immersive and fully realized virtual reality FPS game titled Focal Point. The main character, Lucas, has devoted all of his time, energy, and thoughts to the only thing he's ever been good at in his life. Lucas suffers from severe social problems that isolate him from other professionals he competes with. Lucas' problems grow exponentially larger when he is transported to an alternative reality and asked to help fight in a war against sentient machines.

This excerpt is from Lucas' biggest rival, a gifted young woman named Ashten, and it was meant to capture what Lucas' opponents feel when they face him in Focal Point. This section is framed as an audio log, but the book as a whole will be written in a far more traditional format so don't let that throw you off.

 

Focal Point

 

(The recording starts with the sound of metal chairs scraping against a cement floor)

“Thank you for meeting with me.”

(A woman’s voice echoes a bit and sounds very close to the microphone)

(A younger woman answered the first dismissively)

“Yeah, whatever.”

(There’s a moment of silence as papers are shuffled around)

“Can you state your name for the record please?”

(The younger woman grumbled before answering)

“Ashten Sung. From… What do you want me to call it? The other earth?”

(The older woman clears her throat before responding with a disapproving tone)

“We don’t need to go into that. Now, we’re here to discuss you taking command over your squad. How would-”

“Wait, wait, wait.”

(Ashten interrupted the interviewer and a building anger could be heard in her voice)

“What do you mean take over command? What about Lucas?”

(The interviewer huffs a bit after the clearly unwanted interjection)

“He’s told us that you’d be a much better choice.”

“He what? That’s ridiculous.”

(Ashten scoffed loudly)

“Well…”

(More papers are shuffled around)

“It says here that he already lost to you back in… your world. It seems to me he feels you’re the better player.”

“What did he say about the match?”

(Ashten demanded)

“Just that he lost.”

(The interviewer replied and Ashten snorted)

“Of course he did. He purposefully left out the crucial detail that it was a fluke.”

“What do you mean by a fluke?”

(Footsteps begin pacing back and forth and there is a full minute of silence)

“Promise that you’ll never say anything to him about this?”

“I promise. Please, go on.”

(Ashten sighed and began speaking)

“I never understood his in-game name until that day. I thought he went by Silence because he didn’t like to talk in real life. Or it may have just been Defcon Zero’s coach or owner pushing a persona onto him.”

“Does that happen often?”

(A pen could be heard scratching notes on paper as the interview prodded Ashten to continue speaking)

“More than you’d think. Most of them do it to generate public interest. I don’t know. Drama and all that. Like Silence was his name just to make him seem dark and brooding to the fans.”

(Ashten scoffed at her own statement)

“I know now that wasn’t the case.”

“Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand.”

“He’s called Silence because that’s where he strikes from in game. You learn very quickly that you’ll never see him before he sees you so you start to listen. Your ears begin to strain for footsteps. Gunshots. Equipment changing hands. Something. Anything to give you a clue as to where he is. For all your effort, you never hear a sound until his bullets are all around you. His mere presence in a match is deafening. He slowly fills the map until only he remains. Silence.”

“You make him sound almost supernatural.”

(Ashten laughed)

“There’s a reason most people think he’s a machine. My team of random strangers won the first two rounds that game and I didn’t even realize he was on the opposing side. I’m sure you’re aware that he statistically dies the most in the first two rounds?”

“Yes, we were concerned about that when we first considered him.”

“Yeah well it doesn’t give you confidence playing against him. Round three came around and my entire team was wiped single handedly. I couldn’t believe the turn around. I watched the replays after the game finished just to try and understand what had happened. The first round he wasn’t very serious. I think he had just queued into a public game to try out a new weapon or something. Round two is when he became the monster. I could see him drink in information about my random teammates like he was a shrink analyzing mentally disturbed patients. We eliminated him last. Didn’t even fire his weapon. He just watched.” 

(Ashten paused a moment but continued unprompted)

“Round three, after he killed everyone else on my team, he engaged me directly. We traded shots and I somehow ended up in a parking lot where the rest of his team ambushed me. I’ve baited people into bad positions before, but not like this. I felt like a rat in some experiment. Do you know how frightening it is to realize that you have been manipulated by someone you’re trading bullets with?”

“I can’t say that I do. What about the rest of the game?”

“His teammates were absolutely terrible players. Mine were at least semi competent. He had to do everything on his own but still took us all the way to round nine. Put him with professionals that he practices with daily? Yeah, good luck. That last round, we managed to make it two on one in our favor. He had me pinned in a building across from his own.“

(Ashten trailed off and sighed before she continued)

 “I used to make fun of people that complained about Silence having x-ray vision but... “

(Ashten chuckled darkly)

“I didn’t say anything against them after that fight. There was nowhere I could hide. His bullets followed me as I dove from cover to cover. All of this happened, mind you, while he had no visual indication of where I was. He traced me through opaque walls purely by instinct. The only reason I wasn’t killed was due to a one in a billion set of circumstances.”

(Her tone grew sour)

“In the room I was in, there was a vase set on a table. That vase was struck by a passing bullet and shattered into hundreds of pieces. One of those pieces happened to sail right into the path of a bullet aimed directly for the center of my chest. That bullet’s damage variables, having already been reduced by penetrating the outer wall of the building, were reduced again from passing through the ceramic material. That meant the damage that bullet caused, I went through later and did the math, brought my avatar down to a half a percent away from death. Half a percentage.”

(Ashten slammed her fist down on a table)

“He had my number that game. The only reason I was still in it was due to some stupid vase. He stopped firing at me because my last teammate had just entered his building. Poor moron had stepped into the open and lobbed a grenade into Silence’s room. My teammate was immediately taken down and I hastily put a few rounds out of my window and into the one Silence had been shooting at me from moments earlier. He wasn’t there, in the window, mind you, he had taken a few steps to the left and completely out of my line of sight. My bullets, which I only fired to try and save my last poor teammate as he was slaughtered, just so happened to hit something else that flew past the window.”

“The grenade? He said you shot that intentionally.”

(Ashten laughed again)

“He probably could have if he were in my position. No it was purely coincidental. I left that game knowing that my victory came at the hands of not one, but two flukes.”

(Ashten’s voice grew louder and fiercer)

“So I don’t care what he said about me and I don’t care what you may have seen. We play that game a thousand more times and he wins every time. I haven’t proven anything yet, but I will. I will beat him fair and square with my own skill. Until then, he’s the greatest player you’ll ever find.”

 

**********************************************************************************************

My Yandere Wife Doesn't Appreciate The Fact That I've Been Transported To Another World. This story will be a far more light hearted adventure in another world. The main focus will be on the main character and his yandere wife. Here is an early chapter that I think sets up the premise quite well. Enjoy.

 

My Yandere Wife Doesn't Appreciate The Fact That I've Been Transported To Another World

 

Stay calm. Princess Cecilia Josanne Victerian thought to herself sternly. You cannot let the people see your nerves. Remember what father says, ‘the people are only as strong as their leaders’. Maintain an air of strength and confidence.

Cecilia made sure to keep her facial expression utterly straight as she entered the main throne room. This room wasn’t just a symbol of power for the Fevelian Kingdom, it was a symbol of power for the human race. The Fevelian Kingdom had long held the border between the civilized world and the vast unclaimed lands to the west that were dominated by beasts, fiends, and demi-humans. Due to its size, fierce military, and skillful application of magic, a majority of the lesser human nations looked to the Fevelians for strength, guidance, and stability. The throne room was built with those concepts in mind. White marble pillars lined the edges of the large circular chamber. The polished floor reflected the high ceiling and hand crafted art that decorated the surface.

It had taken many long months for the artisans to detail the kingdom’s history on the circular ceiling, but their skill could not be denied. Humble beginnings depicted by hard working men and women of the earth banding together to stop monstrous invaders from the wild lands. Famous battles, technological achievements, and the mastery of magic were all represented along the circular timeline. The final portion of the ceiling was dedicated to the royal family. Cecilia could draw a direct line from her own parents to the direct founders of their nation state. She remembered asking years ago why the depiction of the royal family was at the end of the circular timeline, right next to the working class who helped found the nation. Her father’s response was that a king or queen was nothing without his or her people. Cecilia had always kept those words in mind while training to become the next ruler. 

While reminiscing about the past, Cecilia’s eyes dropped down to the current ruling pair. The king and queen’s thrones were positioned on the far side of the room. Both seats were gold plated and covered with the softest material money could buy. A few marble steps elevated the thrones above anyone standing before them. The king and queen were already present and observing the final preparations being made by the head magician. Cecilia’s mother was the first to notice the princess’ arrival. The queen didn’t make any overt gesture, but Cecilia noticed her mother’s eyes soften and the corners of her mouth lift ever so slightly.

“You are doing fine. Just take a deep breath and try not to worry.” Is what her mother’s gaze seemed to say to her.

Cecilia gave the queen a small nod of her head as the moment of understanding passed between them. In his usual fashion, the king had yet to notice his daughter’s presence. Deciding it was best not to dwell on the lack of recognition, Cecilia stepped to the right and began a slow circular approach to her parent’s thrones. A subtle shift of movement behind her let Cecilia know that Kaitlyn was present and in her usual position behind the princess. Cecilia couldn’t remember the last time in her life that Kaitlyn hadn’t been near. After all, the slightly older girl had been tasked with the princess’ well being, but at this moment the knowledge that her closest friend was next to her made Cecilia breath a little easier.

It’s not everyday you get to meet your future husband.

Even thinking the word made Cecilia’s stomach flutter. Being eighteen years old already, it was fairly common to already be betrothed or even married at this point in a royal life. Had it been that type of situation, Cecilia might have felt more confident in herself. At least then she would have a solid idea as to who she would be bound to for the rest of her life instead of a mystical figure spoken of only in legend and prophecy.

“The preparations are complete, my lord.” The head magician announced loudly as the eleven other magicians cleared away from the large magical circle they had just finished in the center of the room.

Being an accomplished magic user herself, Cecilia would normally be involved in such a complex and important project, but her responsibilities fell outside of the arcane this day. Magic took a lot of energy and concentration, which might hurt the princess’ first impression on the hero who is about to be summoned. The prophecy was… oddly specific about how attractive the hero will be, but Cecilia was far more worried about what type of person this traveler will be.

Not that looks aren’t important… Cecilia found herself growing flustered at the thought of romance. I mean… I don’t want him to be an old man or anything like that.

“Where’s-” The king’s disgruntled statement was cut off as he immediately spotted Cecilia off to his left. “Oh. Good. You’re already here.”

She simply nodded in response and gave both of her parents a low curtsy. Cecilia’s father grumbled for a moment before gesturing towards the head magician who was still waiting in the center of the large magic circle that dominated the center of the throne room.

“Proceed.” 

The king’s instructions were received with a swift nod and a flurry of activity. The head magician and his eleven assistants took up equidistant positions around the circle and lifted their arms in unison. There was a moment of stiff silence before each magician began chanting. The twelve voices matched each other’s speed and tone so perfectly they blended together into one singular sound. A rush of wind began to build from the edges of the room directly towards the center of the circle.

Cecilia felt her dress try to pull her forward as the wind swept past her. Where the powerful air currents collided a small orb of light appeared. The dim white glow grew quickly in size and intensity while the chant reached its peak. As one, the magicians brought their hands to the center of their chest until their palms met. The chant ended with a sharp crack that sounded like lightning striking a tree and the light winked out of existence. The wind fell still and the room collectively blinked their eyes and focused on the once empty center of the magic circle.

Cecilia drew in a sharp inhale of breath and felt her eyes widen at the sight before her. The hero stood tall. He didn’t tower over everyone, but he was certainly above average in his height. The hero had sandy blonde hair that was short with small spikes at the very front. He had broad shoulders, a young face, and vibrant emerald eyes. There were no obvious muscles showing through his simple button up shirt and black pants, but Cecilia knew from his well defined face that he didn’t have a lot of fat on his body. The hero surveyed the room with utter confusion.

“Where am I?” He asked hesitantly.

“Oh great hero from a land beyond our own.” The king launched into his meticulously prepared speech. “Times are indeed desperate for our lands and our people. A great evil which was prophesied long ago has stirred in the west and only you, the hero destined to face this foe, can save us from our imminent doom.”

The hero blinked in surprise, but didn’t interrupt Cecilia’s father as he continued.

“We call upon you, oh great and noble one, to act as our sword and shield. I am humbled to see you in all of your glory, as it was prophesied that you would be the fairest, most handsome, most wonderful man in all realities-”

“Whoa whoa whoa.” The hero made a T sign with his hands. “What’s all that about?”

The king hesitated for a brief moment until his eyes lit up with understanding.

“Ah, yes. I’m sure that you are disoriented from being transferred from your homeland.” The king dipped his head. “Forgive me. This must all seem so foriegn to you.”

“No, the whole ‘transported to another world’ thing is fine.” The hero crossed his arms across his chest. “What’s this about me being the ‘fairest, most handsome man’?”

The king spluttered a bit and he looked to his wife for assistance.

“I believe what the king was trying to say was that your charm and nobility have been deeply entwined with the prophecy of your coming.” The queen jumped in. “The prophecy is quite clear that your heart and services can only be won by the fairest beauty in the land.”

Cecilia opened her mouth to present herself, but the hero spoke before she had the chance.

“Who wrote this prophecy?” He asked with narrow, suspicious eyes.

“The head matron of the church, thousands of years ago.” The king explained.

“Thousands of years?” The hero rubbed his chin. “I suppose it wouldn’t be anyone I knew then. Sorry. It’s just… the prophecy sounds exactly like a few love letters I received in high school.”

The hero’s suspicion was replaced by a deep look of contemplation. Cecilia glanced towards her parents. They both looked disheveled, as their first interaction with the hero wasn’t quite going as planned. With an urging wave from the king and queen, Cecilia stepped forward.

“Oh great hero.” Cecilia lifted the edges of her dress and dipped into a respectful curtsy. “Though my beauty may fall short of your own, I offer my hand in marriage as a token of promise and good will on behalf of our people. May your betrothed ask you your name, oh great hero?”

If Cecilia were being honest, she wasn’t so sure that the hero’s beauty really dwarfed her own, but now wasn’t the time to get caught up in vain comparisons. Beauty was a subjective concept. There very well could be a commoner out in the world that could match or exceed Cecilia’s grace and beauty, but having the hero marry some random commoner would do little to tie his allegiance with the kingdom. The hero turned and regarded the bowing princess with a reserved expression.

“Devin. Devin Klein. I’m… honored? I suppose would be the right word for it, but,” The hero placed his hands together in a prayer-like stance, “I’m afraid I’m already married.”

Cecilia’s head shot up and she could hear equally shocked outbursts from everyone else in the room.

“Your partner, she would be back in your world would she not?” the queen ventured.

Devin nodded. “Yes she would.”

“I’m afraid you will not see her again.” The king said with a somber expression.

He reached over to his wife’s chair and clasped her hand in his own.

“I’m sorry sir Devin Klein.” The king dipped his head and gave his wife’s hand a small squeeze. “But I’m sure my daughter can offer you companionship in your wife’s stead.”

Devin shook his head. “I’m afraid I’ll have to decline. I’ll definitely be seeing my wife again.”

“The transportation is one way.” Cecilia rushed to explain. “Going back to your world will be impossible.”

“I’m sure it is.” Devin smiled wide. “But I guarantee that she’s going to find her way here long before I would ever make it back.”

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A loud knock shook David from his burrito induced nap. He rolled his wide body off of his couch and stumbled his way towards the front door. It was late, well after midnight. David didn’t have anyone coming over. Scratch that, David never had anyone come over. A small dose of adrenaline shot through his veins as he realized this fact. The exhaustion of having to get up lessened slightly and David approached the front door as quietly as he could. The knocking continued.

“Who’s there?” He called out cautiously.

“David?” A pretty female voice responded. “David Ritkins? You were Devin Klein’s friend in high school.”

It took David a few seconds to put a face to the name.

“Yeah. Who are you?” He called back to the woman.

“I’m Alison Klein. Devin’s wife.” She claimed.

David cast his mind back to high school as he tried to remember Alison. Lifting himself up, David peered through the peephole and his jaw hit the floor. The woman on his doorstep was a ten out of ten. Alison wore nice jeans, a long sleeve shirt that accentuated her figure, and a thin pair of glasses. She was tall, slender, long raven black hair, and an hourglass figure that would make any man weak in his knees. David remembered her now. How could he forget the subject of many of his adolescent fantasies?

“Can you open the door David?” Alison asked. “It’s important.”

David glanced down at his own appearance and felt a wave of self consciousness wash over him. He was wearing sweats that were two days old, he hadn’t brushed his teeth after the deep dish pizza he had for dinner, and his smelly feet were in plain view.

“Give me just a second.” David’s voice was an octave higher than it had been a moment ago. “I need to change.”

“Please David!” Alison sounded on the verge of tears.

Her voice stirred up many lost emotions in David. Though he was still hesitant he wasn’t about to leave her standing on his doorstep.

Why did I ever stop hanging out with them? David wondered as he unlocked his door.

No sooner had the chain been slid out of position then the door was being kicked into his face. David stumbled backwards but was stopped as a pair of hands shot through the open doorway and snagged the front of his stained sweatshirt. David felt his two hundred and fifty pound body leave the ground and slam into the wall painfully. David looked up to see furious lavender eyes boring into his own.

Oh that’s right. David felt the revelation hit him a moment later. She was insane.

“Good to see you Alison.” David wheezed out. “What can I do for you?’

The intensity of the woman’s gaze could set his house ablaze.

“I need you to tell me everything you know about isekai.”

 

If you read all of that, or skipped to the end, thanks once again for stopping by. I'm not sure when I'll start posting Focal Point, (as I'm taking a small break between projects) but I imagine I'll get around to it fairly soon. Until then, farewell.

37