8. Town Visitations
172 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

"What's the matter?"

"Apologies for the interruption Lord Commander but I have a message from the royal capital sent by a Storm Pigeon."

A small rolled parchment appeared on his palm. He gave it to the duke after a salute.

"This… what is that dunderhead thinking?" Duke Al muttered.

That remark made Kyrios flinch. His reaction was very unusual but then, Sterne found that he was merely suppressing his laughter. "Who's the dunderhead father was referring to?" 

The eldest shrugged and in a low voice he whispered the answer. "He's referring to the king."

Oh boy, their father was cursing at the king and casually committing lèse-majesté. A crime under Land's Law punishable with death by beheading all members of the family. Her hand went to her neck. 

And here she was trying to think of ways to help everyone avoid becoming monster fodders.

Sterne frantically pinched the eldest's sleeve, "Correct me if I'm wrong, the king is the highest authority in the kingdom, yes?" 

"Yes, but his relationship with father is… complicated." He sounded like he was trying to assure her. 

Sterne was conflicted. 

Kyrios chuckled. "In short, it's not a big of a deal." 

My foot! 

"It's only barely a week since we finished the subjugation in the forest. He wanted all the members who participated to march back to the Royal Capital to receive military honours and rewards. Refusing to comply will be deducted half a year's salary."

Her big brother Dio snickered. "When are we going to head out?"

"In a week."

"Sweet. That's enough time to settle the territory."

However, their father's face remained grim. Later that afternoon, he called for a general meeting with his ten captains and vice commander.

"Preposterous! They wanted you to rush back? Have they even considered the risk you took at that time?"

"If it weren't for that miraculous rain Lord Commander is still on death's door right now!"

"Even without that rain, think about it. Do they think subjugation is a child's play? To be given only a week's rest. What insolence. They treat our Obsidian like working cows."

"Humph, I say it's those pompous asses in the court who pressured the king to agree to this farce. I can clearly see them gloating."

"Bah, if that king has half the guts of Aldebrand, he will not become such a pushover sissy."

Sitting on her favourite spot on the balcony, Sterne listened to the cantankerous old men merrily commit another lèse-majesté. By now, she had more or less gotten used to it. 

Ah~ hail to the king. She thought sadly for that poor man sitting on the throne. 

It seems that there are disagreeable people in the king's court, (widely known as Council of Lords). But how much authority do they really hold? She knows there is someone out there who can pressure the king more than those bunch of clowns.

After having that dream, she learned a lot of things… one of which is about the powers holding the kingdom in a firm grasp. Her gaze went to her father, does he know about it? Is that the reason why she cannot detect a sliver of resentment despite the king's obvious inaction?  

"Aye, even Lord's Commander little lass is more spirited than the king."

Oi, oi, oi, don't drag me in the water. Sighing, she smiled. 

It's not as if she does not understand their grievances. A soldier needs a long time off after an arduous mission, a week can barely be sufficient to recover lost energy. Exhausted mana, needs a whole day to replenish provided that the physical body is in good condition if not great. Sustaining heavy injuries requires a long time to heal of course.

Remembering the kind of injuries her father and the rest suffered, without the Regen Solution she doubts a month or two would suffice.

Those nobles have their own idea by calling the Obsidian. With the excuse of rewards, it's obvious that they wanted the whole kingdom to see the knights tattered and beaten faces.

"Gentlemen," with a calm countenance, Duke Al addressed his angry mob. "This is an edict by our king we must comply with. However, if the enemies wanted to see us down and defeated, it would be impossible as we will never give them that chance. We will march for royal capital Aurea after we stabilize the fief."

The mob of enraged old men miraculously quieted down.

"But Lord Commander, I'm sure the news that you have sustained fatal injuries must have spread around." Count Heinrich said. 

"It certainly has, but where is their evidence?" Duke Al asked, still calm and unperturbed.

"Right, mouths can talk but the irrefutable truth can only be seen and heard. They wanted the Obsidian to fail, they are bound to disappoint themselves." Vice Commander Gorgon laughed his teeth off. 

"Let's play along a little," Kyrios agreed with the same strange smile. "They wouldn't feel so lonesome by then." 

 

That night, Sterne visited her father's study. He must have been working so late it took a while before he opened the door. 

"Still not asleep?" His Grace wore a comfortable linen shirt half open for ease. His smile was soft when he welcomed his youngest in and sat her on the soft couch. 

Sterne smelled a comfortable scent in the air and was dazed for a while. The windows were wide open so it must be from the flowers outside.

"Erm," she squirmed, "Father, I have something to consult with you."

Duke Al put up his hand on the armchair and leaned his head to it. "If there is something bothering you, you are free to speak with me anytime. You know I will always, always listen." 

"T-Thank you father." Sterne smiled back tearfully. "I want to tell you about the future…" 

 

True to his word Duke Al resumed going around the territory.

In one of the towns, Lutum, there was not much change in scenery except for the healthy blanket of grass down the valley and the clear water stream. The stone mountains remained a picturesque white, grey, red, and orange giving the village an awe-inspiring calmness amidst the veil of fog during mornings.

The duke purposefully put this place first for inspection because amongst all five towns, Lutum is at a very disadvantageous location being near the mountains and the border wall.

"Oh, Your Grace." Baron Maurer greeted them as soon as he spotted the entourage from the quarry.

He and a group of twenty men were digging inside the cave with all their might. They stopped sharply and bowed after coming out.

"How is everyone?" Duke Al inquired and dismounted.

"The old coots started digging as soon as their sore backs and stiff shoulders were healed, the potters never left the kiln unless it was for a meal. All of our furnaces are fired up, thanks to that rain but it won't be long until the missus will kick us out of our houses."

A rumble of laughter came out of the duke. "You better take it slow. I received your missive four days ago and I thought it would be a good time to look around the fief."

"Leave the menial things to us, tenants. You have your hands occupied enough being a father, a lord and a commander. At least, rely on us to do small tasks. By the by, I heard you are being called to Aurea?"

"Aye, a small thing came up."

"Tsk, where was this an unusual occurrence? I take it that some dandy lord having an itch to bitch at your Order again came up with the idea."  

"Actually, it was said that we come to receive honors." 

"Honors?" The baron repeated. "Some water must have clogged those braggarts heads. Honors were long overdue, don't you think so as well Your Grace?"

Duke Al suppressed a smile. 

"Don't be smiling silly at me." Baron Maurer snorted. 

"Thank you for helping me as always."

The baron quickly changed face and grinned, "Having a good liege is more than enough for us."

Duke Al nodded. 

"I have known you since you were a boy until now that you have your own good reputation, not many lords stay the same. Other territories who were well-off wrings its people dry, whereas those who had both wealth and manpower stuck their necks up high, seeing themselves as bloody immortals." The last sentence Baron Maurer said was spat out like a curse.

"I consider myself lucky for having retainers as you."

"Humph, it's all we can do. Now that this year's Monster Tide is drawing near you and the soldiers are pretty much occupied. I tell you again boy, do not dive into the fray directly. It doesn't matter whether you are a Wargod class fellow, this year ought to be the biggest. You must think about your family first."

His Grace said no words and just solemnly stood quiet. His back was rigid like a puppy with its little tail tucked between his legs. According to Kyrios, the baron is usually a cranky devil feared by the people here in Lutum but he softens when he is talking with their father, but their father has always been frightened silly by him.

"He is moody but I have to say, he's a respectable person." Her elder brother said with a wry smile.

Far from Sterne's early impression, Lutum actually derives huge profit from pottery and high-quality stone products. The craftsmen here are top notch for they can process granite faster than in other territories.

Baron Maurer along with the four more chiefs manages their humble livelihood of pottery, marble, granite, a small amount of hemp and some flax linen. If it weren't for this, merchants would have long abandoned Nachtwald Duchy.   

There are four more towns to visit, instead of growing weary Sterne's excitement is at the highest peak.

 

Along the way, aside from enjoying the scenery, Sterne also heard things she usually doesn't hear a lot. Today they visited the town where their major linen products are made. Trefoil.

The ladies here are good-natured, gossip-loving women. While working on their spindles and looms their giggles serve as a musical background. Under the shade of towering trees, they sit and work.

The fields now are filled with a fluffy cloud of white, with a mix of green from the fibre plants. People with baskets on their back walk on the rows of plantation harvesting using simple magic tools.    

"I just noticed now that it's brighter but aren't the Nachtwalds the most beautiful family one has ever seen?"

Her little ears are picking up murmurs of the people as they ride on the flower fields of Trefoil for an inspection. Talking with the town chief has become a daily routine for the adults and Sterne became a mascot following them around.  

"Aye, I agree. Look how dashing and gallant the father and sons are. Lord Duke looks unbelievably young despite having three children. They say that the powerful a skill is the youthful one looks. Ahh… those wide shoulders and lean muscles, and wavy long hair."

"Yes, yes. Sinful to the eyes. I hear women in the capital fighting over our Lord."

"What a shameless lot! None of those women will ever reach the standard of the former duchess."  

"Right, right."

"The young lord Kyrios has a certain kind of appeal that makes one melt."

Sterne looked at her brother suspiciously. Err... eldest brother what did you do to them?

"Oh dear, when our eyes met I forgot to breathe. Those compelling silvery eyes can eat you up."

"I know! Even Young Master Dio. Such a debonair at thirteen, one can only imagine how he will break hearts once he reaches adulthood."

"I cannot believe that such battle maniac men could be this elegant."

Sterne's eyes went to the ladies and made a soft giggle. What's wrong with battle maniacs? They look rather gallant and strong.  

One cannot entirely blame them for admiring since they really are handsome rogues. Now she finally understood why people would say that women in the capital were throwing themselves at her brothers' feet.

Well, she just hopes none of them take from those women the royal capital. The warhorses will surely trample them. 

An enthusiastic aunt took notice of her. "Wait, I seem to see a little girl." 

"What girl? That's a boy."

Sterne shivered. 

"Where?"

"The tiny thing snuggling at young lord Kyrios."

"Girl?"

Startled, her head flicked to the side. Why you-- I'm not a boy! She was about to chime in a retort when the eldest covered her mouth.

In a serious tone he warned, "Aunts are the most scary of all people, especially to cute girls like you." 

Huh...? 

"She looks more like a sprite than a human. I want to bite her cheeks."

That frightened the dear girl.

"Her face could fit in your palm, ahhh, ahh! What fragile little thing."

"Wait, I seem to-- oh! That's the lady of the house, Lady Sterne." A middle aged woman holding a basket said. 

"The youngest child? What were those boys thinking of bringing her out in such heat? Look how flushed the poor thing is."

"My cousin said that her health has improved."

"Truly? Oh, that is great news then. I heard the child was kept inside the manor for six long years because she couldn't handle the damp weather but I guess all is well now that she's out."

"Looks like the men will mince every suitor that may turn up at their doorstep. I pity that fellow whoever that is." An old man cackled while patting his knee.

Looking up at her elder brother, Sterne curled her eyebrows in confusion. Brother, mind telling me what a suitor is?

Her brother, recognized for his formidability on the battlefield, talented beyond compare and known to have a pristine elegance even when slashing monsters suddenly gave a somewhat cramped smile as if he had eaten a fly.

Err, did I ask a question that should not be asked?

 

12