17. A Slow Life In The Duchy
145 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

On her way to the dining hall, Sterne noticed that the corridor felt empty somehow.

Hm, where could everyone be?  

She walked absently for a few seconds before remembering what Sir Ahmose said about everyone waiting in the kitchens so picking up her pace, she changed direction and ran towards the back of the manor. As soon as she came near the doors, she saw a lot of people lining up doing each of their jobs. 

Dio and Lyon were on the long table gnawing food and didn't notice her. They were chewing rapidly, not sparing anyone a glance and it was quite a sight to see. 

"Milady!" Emilia called. 

Her earlier worry was dissolved by the time she came in. The smiles she saw from them drowned out the cruel truth she learned, and before Sterne knew it she had forgotten most of it. The truth will once again visit her in the future along with the meeting of foes and friends.

Today is the day they will sample something new from the Lost Recipe. Aside from valuable spell formations, concoctions and lost crafting methods, there are also plenty of basic things such as food!

The ancient races were people with a highly developed sense of taste. The food they partake in varies from each clan as well the techniques and materials used. Aside from being a symbol of refinement of one's culture, eating is also a basic need for every creature. They have uncovered the proper uses of herbs and spices through the elven people's compiled knowledge of plants as well as the different blend of sauces. Thanks to these guides the quality of flavour and nutritional value of food in the duchy advanced.

The menu for today's meal is Cook Renault's latest masterpiece, the Beef Stew hailing from the meat-loving beastmen tribe! 

Lady Sterne handed over the task of uncovering the secrets of the recipes she shared with him.  

"Who knew Red Bison's tail could be so tender and full of flavour? It easily melts in the mouth as soon as it touches the tongue and there isn't a hint of a gamey smell in it, thanks to the bay leaf and celery's fragrance."

Sterne picked her spoon and poked the meat on her plate. The red sauce and the smell of herbs made her already empty stomach growl. These were the tomato fruits they picked several days ago, they were squeezed and processed resulting in this. The sweetness of tomato spread in her mouth the moment she bit into it. 

Wh-What is this… it's so good! The burst of different tastes in her mouth nearly made her tear up.

She was lucky to survive until now! 

The days of mashing, boiling and grilling are over! 

"We need more of these!" She declared spooning more and putting it in her mouth, "Emilia, quick you eat as well."

Emilia tilted her head on the side. She was supposed to bring the lady's food to the dining hall but it was already eaten before it was delivered. The kitchen had already fallen into chaos, so to prevent the tragedy of losing her share she promptly picked up her spoon and ate. 

Today's beef stew is also magnificent. She thought yesterday's herb-roasted chicken was delicious enough but the red sauce from the stew packed a very solid flavour. 

Cook happily recounted the steps he went through. However, there was no one... absolutely no one but Lady Sterne who listened to his gourmet commentary since everyone in the kitchen from the lady's handmaid down to the cheeky scullery girl was on their plates wolfing down the bison tail stew.

Cook rolled his eyes inwardly. Heartless brats! 

"To think that it could taste much better. We were such fools!" One of the footmen cried out as if those he had eaten before were not real food.

"I never imagined something so delicious could come out of these plants buried in the ground." Agnes, the scullery girl chimed in feelingly as she forked a carrot.

"The food here is already sufficient but to make it even more delicious… haa!"

"You can choose between rice grains or white bread to pair with it." Sterne proudly suggested. 

Speaking of rice grains during the harvest, Sterne was appalled to learn that the farmers set them aside to become livestock fodder! Fortunately, with the help of Herald's Eye, the rice grains escaped their sad fate of being abandoned in the stables without given time to shine. As she instructed they were milled and dehusked; the glistening white grains toppled everyone's impressions as soon as they appeared on the table. 

A lot more things happened as she searched for more basic dish components and combinations to enhance the variety. The worry of food shortage had long been over thanks to the Lost Recipe. When the spices and the sauces were developed, they began teaching them to the relevant people in the territory. 

"Aside from the merchants visiting, there were reports of frequent visitors who come in only to eat food in our inns," Emilia said.    

No wonder she saw a lot of people around lately. Sterne thought. 

Agnes gushed out, "I guess I'm lucky I'm a local. I don't have to stand in line like those people." 

"Haha, right." 

"I can eat the beef stew for a whole week without getting tired of it." Sosa, the gardener, blurted out of the blue.

"Are you sure about that?" Sterne asked Sosa slyly. "There is still plenty we haven't tried."

He cheekily replied. "Milady, I know that as long as I stay here in the manor I am guaranteed to eat plenty of good things but still, this beef stew is my number one!"

Well, at least the man knows his priority.

"Fine then, from here on I'm giving most of my formulas to the kitchen. In one condition,"

Suddenly everyone looked at her with hungry expectant gazes as if she held the pot full of food.

"Anything milady."

"Considering your hearty appetite and sensitive tongues might as well ask you to test everything that comes out from here."

"Gladly!"

What fast reactions. They didn't even have second thoughts. When she mentioned 'everything' that naturally includes failed ones. Oh well…   

Beef stew is only one of the many food items the Lost Recipe showed. Honestly, she never expected such a big reaction but who would have guessed it would easily seize everyone's stomach… and sanity. As she instructed, Cook Renault took in apprentices to teach them the step by step method of the new recipes.

In turn, they will spread it around the territory.

Red Bison is an A-rank monster common in Sleeping Forest, Nachtwald had an abundance of it because the Obsidian frequently encounters them everywhere. Because these monsters only eat grass rich in mana, the meat from it is a lot softer and juicier compared to ordinary beef. In fact, most monster meat is far richer in texture and flavour than livestock.

On the other hand, the kingdom's upper crust only eats carefully raised animals. Aristocrats consider monster meat uncouth, food for the masses. For that reason along with being on the front lines, the people of the southern duchy were being looked down upon. Nachtwald has long been regarded as the dregs of this magnificent nation.

Sterne thinks those people were pitiful for missing out on the most basic things such as eating good food.

 

Meanwhile in Golden Leaf in Freesia. The restaurant received a very unusual guest. 

"This food, what do you call it?" The man in the black suit asked.

Earlier before lunch where there were fewer people inside the establishment these two seemingly upright nobles entered. One is in a crisp suit diligently attending to the man with a delicate and wan countenance.

The latter, despite his frail countenance still managed to exude a lofty disposition common to every noble. As though there is an invisible cold field swirling about him, right at this moment that cold field has multiplied many folds as he glared at the tiny simple steak making the waiters break out in a sweat.

"The dish is called fillet mignon from a dragonewt living in the high valleys of Sleeping Forest." The manager said wishing he could wipe the sweat off his brow.

"Is this the best your place can offer?" The valet chided. 

How can this lowly restaurant insult his master by serving this measly cut of meat doused in unpalatable brownish sauce and wild mushrooms?

Manager Roux pressed down the displeasure he felt from an unreasonable customer. The recipe was given to him as a gift by a friend who lives in this town. He checked and personally sampled it and could testify to the food's amazing potential. Through years of eating different kinds of food, his taste had been refined even the high ranking nobles heeded his advice! Now, this food can only be described in one word: Per~fec~tion.

The superb marbling, the sweet smell coming off the dragonewt's meat and the pinkish colour... Manager Roux swallowed his saliva and tried to control himself.

Anyway, he is absolutely certain that the moment he goes back to the empire, the main branch will crash when patrons surge in.

"Dragonewt you say?" The beautiful man asked, his eyes scanned the embroidered insignia on the managers' breast pocket and flashed a knowing light. "Very well."

Without further complaint, he began cutting the steak and quietly put it in his mouth.

The valet panicked, "Master!"

However, no words were spoken. The person quietly raises the gleaming cutleries as he partakes on the elaborately served meal on the white plate. His movements were not slow yet elegant, cutting and chewing successively. The valet turned silent, it seems the master has taken a liking to the food. His only worry is that he ate a little too fast; he feared he might suddenly choke.

M-My poor master, I didn't know he was so hungry. He lamented.

"Another."

"Yes, of course." Manager Roux bowed. 

His foxy eyes swept the valet who was turning from pale to red not forgetting to smirk before turning on his heel to relay the order.

"Interesting," The beautiful man said, lacing his fingers above the table. "I didn't know that the empire would pay attention to this place."

"By empire you mean…"

"Zircon."

The assistant who had labelled the place inferior visibly blanched. 

Z-Zircon Empire of the west… He was momentarily rooted to his position before flitting to his side. The relaxed posture he had was replaced by sharp vigilance all of a sudden. His hand crept to the weapon hidden inside his clothing warily looking around for an enemy that did not exist.

"The food?"

"It's not poisoned." The man said languidly. 

"Master, we should leave before anyone from here takes notice and recognizes you." 

"I haven't finished my meal yet."

He didn't want to think that his master would one day be put under such pressure by eating horrible food. "Then the reason why you ate it--"

"The food is undoubtedly delicious."

The valet, "..."  

"After the meal, go back to the villa and inform Vier and the rest that you are temporarily leaving the kingdom."

"What about you, master?"

In a quiet dangerous tone, coupled with the frigid gaze the man said. "Since when are you privy to my matters?"

The valet's blood froze. He got too absorbed with the light conversation earlier he forgot his place. His body began to shiver even though the room temperature was just right. It was the exact same scene the manager and waiter walked into.  

Why is this guy shivering like a wet quail? Manager Roux wondered. Tsk, tsk, the poor guy looks paler than a radish, really makes one wonder which of them was the one sick. 

 

***

 

After lunch at the manor, Sterne went to town to visit Bisque. Today she has plenty of new books and scrolls given to her by big brother Dio. Since he and Kyrios returned to the academy, the supply of new reading material resumed.

Emilia went to the store Omnia across the square and she was left with Lyon sitting on a stone table watching passersby on the street. It was as if the tide never happened, many came to see for themselves if the duchy truly did survive, some curious of how they managed to avoid another disaster but Sterne knew that none of these people fully comprehend the real horror the tide brought upon the locals. Perhaps she wasn't entirely wrong for harbouring a bit of resentment to these strangers who have no idea how close to death they were. Well, not it matters, when she doubted that most would ever be grateful of how Nachtwald defended the borders and their lives yet again. 

"Hello, I think you dropped something." When Sterne looked over her shoulder she saw a girl a few years older than her wearing a beautiful silk dress and lace parasol approaching. In her hand was the sheet of parchment she used as a bookmark last night. The girl gave an amicable smile while handing the piece.

Sterne easily returned the smile with the same candour. It was her first time seeing another noble aside from the guests of the estate, her eyes twinkled brightly. Why it's not every day you see a proper lady.

Wait, she's a Lady herself... only that the difference was regrettable. Sterne wiped the blood from her bleeding heart.

"You picked this? T-Thank you. I didn't notice I dropped something. Sorry to trouble you."

The girl waved her hands off. "No, I don't mind. I just happened to see it."

"Thank goodness you picked it up. I was using it as a bookmark, now I'll have to rifle on the pages again."

"Is it important?"

"The book? Yes."

"No… the bookmark. It looks very interesting."

Sterne was a little confused. Of course, it is important as well since it was made of good paper but not as valuable as the book itself. Does she like it?

"I could make you a new one if you want. Would you like to join me for--"

"Impertinent little girl," The maid with a displeased expression came forward, cutting the conversation a little too strongly. "What makes you think milady should accept an invitation from you?"

Sterne looked at the maid, "It's customary to return the favour with a polite attitude." 

"Just you? There is no need." 

The little girl looks clean, delicate even but she disapproves of her being near her lady. From her neat and simple clothing, she seemed to be from a lower household. It was just a tiny bookmark but she was acting all too important, they could buy a hundred of those. Someone like her is not fit to be an acquaintance, definitely not.  

Lyon, whose nearby frowned. He didn't like the maid's tone. Those deprecating eyes were blatantly appraising his lady; the woman did not even bother hiding it. Annoyed, he stepped forward and blocked Sterne from her sight. "Since the young miss has other business to attend to, we will no longer bother you."

In short: Leave.

The little girl is with someone. The maid raised her sights quite haughtily and quickly noticed Sir Lyon in his military uniform, she instantly lost her colouring. Her eyes shifted back to the pale looking child in fright. A knight escorting a little girl in the duchy… 

Her lady tapped her shoulders and spoke in a gentle tone, "Then, we will get going." 

The young lady gave Sterne one last glance and left with her entourage.

Sterne held on to the bookmark while looking at their departing backs with "Sir Lyon, I have never met someone so nice and pretty."

Pretty, yes but nice? Lyon doesn't think so. The young lady could have stopped her maid from cutting in but she did nothing and just quietly stood by. He reached out his hand and ruffled Sterne's soft and fluffy hair.

"You still have a lot to learn." He said. 

"I know, Miss Amy always says I often have lapses in my speech," Sterne replied, completely misunderstanding his meaning. "But I was nervous you see, it's my first time talking to another girl that is not my friend." 

"In my opinion, you did well, milady. What I was worried about was the way the maid had spoken to you. She was rude, are you sure you did not feel uncomfortable?"

"Indeed she was but, it was to be expected considering how I plainly dressed today. That means my disguise was perfect." 

Lyon's mouth twitched. Was she not taking the situation seriously at all? He resigned with a sigh and shrug. Those two people's behaviour was nothing strange to him as he had seen plenty of it back in their kingdom. It was only natural that he wanted Lady Sterne to watch out for those kinds of people because there is a high chance she would be bumping into them once again when her social circle began to widen. 

He would hate to see the little lady being trampled by the likes of those two. But it seems he was just being exceedingly paranoid. The Lord Commander's daughter is not some delicate little flower after all. 

 

7