Extra 2: Queen Seeds
169 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Royal Capital, Aurea. The day the Herald came.

 

Regina Augustine Stolz 

 

My father was a count who recently elevated his rank in peerage when his great uncle the marquess died and bequeathed all his wealth and title to him as a sole living relative. Now Marquess Byron Stolz not only became one of the distinguished lords of Aurum Kingdom but also holds a land rich with silver and mithril mines.

The newly inherited fief, though plagued by periodic spawning of monsters, is by no means affecting the commerce. The mines offered jobs to the masses and being that the marquess' land is one of the most important areas he only has to request it to the kingdom and their very own Mythril Knights will come to subjugate such pests.

It is known that the Stolz fief is one of the wealthiest, and can be called the second royal capital because of its perpetually clean streets and thriving business establishments. It's where the latest imported products are displayed on racks. As his daughter, I, Regina get first priority to everything. Our people love me. Why not? I bore our family's light pink hair and the gentle hooded green eyes.

Raised and educated by excellent tutors to be a proper lady, I inherited my mother's former nickname as the delicate flower of high society. Everything was set and I have no complaints, my life is perfect.

When the king announced young girls ages eight to eighteen must attend the royal selection ceremony there was no doubt that I wouldn't be chosen as one of the candidates, the same goes for the children of high birth from other noble houses. Although the purpose of the gathering is to search for the fated maiden and our proud statuses had to be voided, I still found the idea of sitting near the children of low birth revolting. It is indeed a fierce competition. 

The commoners, well I pay them little to no mind at all. It is after all unthinkable for the next queen to be a plebeian. Being born with noble blood has given us plenty of advantages, especially in magical arts. A thing commoners can only dream of their whole life. 

The day when the edict arrived at our doorstep, my father and I had a rare serious talk. "The time has come for you to show your worth. In this family, only the winners survive. I do not have to tell you to do your best." He said with a steely glare. "Regina, do not disappoint me." 

"Of course, father. It is I, Regina, who will win the prince's favour." I replied despite my trembling hands.

The pressure under his scrutiny was unnerving. But I had to show him my strength in order to be of help to him.

"The three princes are going to be present, although it is a tradition that the first born shall inherit the crown, there is a chance that either of the two will be selected."

It goes without saying that as a candidate I should try my hardest to capture the interest of the Crown Prince and aid him to secure his position from his brothers. The words spoken by my father, I understood them very well. 

And so my lessons had been doubled and I spent the whole month under strict tutorials, of the do's and don't inside the castle. Boxes of dresses from the trendiest store abroad were delivered at our manor along with a wide selection of pieces of jewellery and footwear.

My father, although he doesn't speak much I'm sure dotes on me.

As the selection draws nearer, I was quite flummoxed by the fact that father barely came home. The responsibility of acquiring a new fief is by no means a light burden. There are plenty of things to consider as to how to keep this vast wealth from deteriorating. Although he was officially named heir, there is a threat coming from the children of mistresses the past marquess once had. With so little time to spend with him, how am I supposed to ask for his opinion on what clothes to wear? 

On one occasion when I was able to catch up with my father and asked for his opinion, all I received was a stinging rebuke. 

"Don't you have eyes of your own Regina?" He said rather displeased. "Don't tell me those are just for decorations? Do not bother me with that stupid question again, I'm busy."

It was my fault of course. He had been exhausted by his new responsibilities. I intruded into his study without notice when he and a visiting lady were having a talk.

Talk…? I stopped short. 

Father and that woman seem to appear quite close to each other. Her violet dress was spread over the table and father was…

Pushing the image at the back of my mind, I walked back to the salon where the clothes my father ordered are stacked. 

Filthy… that woman is filthy…

The maids carried the boxes after instructing them to bring it to my room upstairs but an idiot dropped the gifts father gave!

 


 

Milcah Liliales Flumen.

 

The Hanging Garden at the west side of the castle is surely a magnificent sight to behold.

Crafted by ancient dwarven architects, the royal abode reposes the dramatic characteristic of lost art. Ornamental and very stylish with the combination of gilding, gorgeous curves, light colours and paintings.  

The dwellings in Aurea all have a charm of their own but still, in my opinion, nothing beats lost art.

There are at most four hundred young girls frolicking about the garden, drinking sweetened water and eating tea cakes. Dressed in flounce and ribbons they all look like delicate butterflies adorning the Hanging Garden but none of them appreciates the splendour of such a place.

~Sigh.

"Lady Milcah, what seems to be the problem?" My maid Aya inquired with a worried face.

"This is boring. I don't understand why I am stuck here against my will looking at children below my age."

Aya lowered her voice, "Err, it is because your father Marquis Flumen wanted you to participate in the selection ceremony."

"Why don't they just start and be done with it? I'm tired of hearing all their giggling."

Aya has no answer. Well, whatever it's not like I need her to share an opinion anyway. Seeing my maid casually answer to me could become problematic since we are currently outside and had to maintain faces. 

Such stifling rules. My birds are a much better companion.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the daughter of Marquess Stolz sneering at an earl's daughter. The delicate childlike face was displaying a not-so childlike expression unbefitting of her age as if she was about ready to chew on the poor girl.

What a troublesome child.

She was admired for her beauty but the same could not be said of her behaviour.  Half of these girls are from gentry and merchants' circle, the other half is from the nobility. One would expect that there will not be friction since it is only a gathering of children. As one of the slightly older girls attending, I could clearly see that there is trouble boiling.

Marquess' Stolz's nine-year-old daughter may not blatantly show her hostility to those of lower class but her gazes says otherwise. The viciousness at such an age could be problematic. And it wasn't just her, there were children of several noble houses who did not bother hiding their dislike of those in the lower class. Social status had always been a great issue ever since the olden times. 

Ah, I somehow feel bad for the royal family heirs. The first prince is fifteen years of age while the second is twelve. These two might be able to handle that kind of attitude.

The youngest just turned ten. Poor kid.

Oh, that was a rude thought. Whatever the circumstances are, they are still royalty and handling these problematic children was easy.

"Ladies, the king and queen along with the princes will arrive shortly."

After a long wait, the Grand Chamberlain finally appeared and made an advanced notice in a well-modulated voice. Everybody went back to their seats like some great wind had blown them. The excitement is at fever pitch with their blushes staining their cheeks.

What’s there to blush about? Well, it's royalty. How many chances does an ordinary person get to face their monarch? 

"My, my, it begins so soon." said by Bernice in front of me.

The daughter of Count Vallis, she was the same age as Regina sitting on the other table. Not so long ago, those two were of equal status and were often compared. 

Bernice started preening, patting her puffy dress over and over again while fixing the flower ornament in her honey orange hair.

 


 

Bernice Anna Vallis  

 

Right at the moment the doors of the castle opened, my sights were fixed only to the three handsome creatures up front.

They say that the royal family is not only endowed with great knowledge but with unparalleled beauty as well. The vision of silk-like golden hair dominated the scene. From their chiselled visage and slender build, they are like works of art made by the gods.

Yes, I have decided. I will try my best to become the next queen. The spot beside those princes is a world even treasures cannot fill. Not that I hate luxury. I love luxury at the same level as I love visually engaging things.

I'm confident with my beauty. Though Regina has blatantly enjoyed being dubbed as a delicate flower, people do not only see her. I as well had been nicknamed as exceptional by high society.

Both of us are yet to have our social debut but people have already recognized our worth. A thing to be expected since our mothers have long laid the foundation, well-known for their influence and grace there is no doubt we will follow even surpass their brightness.

But knowing Regina's true nature, I doubt any of the princes could stomach being with her. The selection will only choose one for the crown prince, I better do my best.

But then it happened…  

The Herald bestowed blessings and twenty-four out of hundreds were selected!

Twenty four was still a large number. In the past the number of Hallowed Ones did not exceed five. Does that mean there are twenty-four rivals?

The thought made my whole body stiff. 

In those twenty four, commoners managed to mix in as the golden light brightly showered them. Unthinkable! The others were also in the same state of shock and disbelief but no matter what sort of emotions each one was feeling the Herald had already bestowed the blessing. The selected maidens are now bonafide Hallowed Ones. 

The proof is the holy emblem, a golden floret pattern on the left wrist proving one's identity.

The means… that means that beauty, wealth, and peerage is now voided as the qualification for the next queen?

After all the work I've been through, such things…

As the king declared. All twenty-four are now legitimate candidates as the next crown princess and will be undergoing training.

However, it is not that simple.

As the Hallowed Ones the selected few must prove themselves.

The Herald will judge our worth in the end.

 

5