Chapter 17 The Contract
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I do have a request and hope you can help," said Aretha.

"Please speak," said Alex reflexively.

"I want you to take Varis with you as your companion," said Aretha.

"What? It's dangerous out there," said Alex.

"You don't have to worry about his safety. I have taken care of it. I am sure, Varis, will be a huge help in your journey," said Aretha.

A lex did not buy it. A small eagle in this ancient forest will be of limited help. If something happened to him by accident, Ms. Aretha would be the first to hunt him down.

As Alex was thinking of how to reject her. Ms. Aretha took an Ancient scroll out of nowhere and opened it.

Alex saw a peculiar drawing full of symbols and connecting lines.  Alex immediately thought of the Magic arrays.

"This is an ancient Magic Scroll for contracting Beasts. After agreeing to an equal contract, both of you can gain one or two of the other party's abilities."

Alex's heart moved, and he immediately thought of the possibilities. If he can morph into an eagle and fly. That would be cool. But why was a pie falling from a sky all of a sudden?

"Can I ask why?"

"Well, It's cause Varis wants to go with you. He does not like to stay here cause of his cousins," said Aretha gloomily.

"Why did you agree to let him travel outside?" asked Alex.

"All eagles leave the nest eventually. Varis is just leaving a few months earlier," said Aretha and stopped speaking after that. Alex still had to ask an important question.

"But what about his safety?" asked Alex.

"You don't have to worry about that. I have a souvenir for Varis, which can deter the low-level beasts. As for the high-level Magic beasts, they are constrained by an ancient pact and are not allowed to kill juveniles," said Ms. Aretha.

"Does this pact protect human juveniles, too?" asked Alex with some expectations. He was seventeen years old. Technically, Alex was a juvenile.

"No. Humans used to be in the pact during the Era of Seven Kings. But after the fall of the Seven Kings, humans illegally caught and enslaved many magic beasts. So the pact no longer applies to them."

'Damn it. I can't catch a break.' thought Alex.

"Ok. I agree," said Alex.

Without hesitating, Ms. Aretha placed the ancient scroll on the pedestal and said:

"Both of you drip some of your blood on the scroll."

Alex cut his finger using his knife, and few drops of blood fell on the parchment. Half of the magic array started glowing with the symbols and lines. Then Alex's thoughts diverged.

Wait! what if it's a trap? Ms. Aretha's smooth performance made him ignore the pitfalls. But it's too late. Alex can only comfort himself:

'Hey, have you seen a billionaire trick a homeless man into a contract? Even If the Sky eagles have any bad intentions, I cannot stop them anyway.'

Soon, a few drops of Varis' blood fell on the scroll, and the other half of the scroll glowed red. Slowly the parchment burned, leaving few ashes.

All of a sudden, Alex's head started aching. He held his head and screamed. On his opposite side, the little eagle also screeched.

After some time, the headache subsided, and information poured inside. Alex felt a connection with Varis, through which they can communicate at any time.

[Hello, Varis, Can you hear me.] Alex tentatively thought in his head.

[Ye... Yes, Alex] A childish voice was heard in his head.

[Ok, this is cool. Shall talk to you later. Over and out.]

[What does that mean?]

[I will explain it to you later. Over and out.]

Alex opened his eyes, and he immediately noticed some changes. His vision became exceptionally sharp. He can clearly see an ant crawling near his self-made leather bed, the half-eaten berries, and outside trees through the vines.

As Alex was adjusting to his new ability, he heard Ms. Aretha speak again.

"Usually, In an Equal contract, both parties will get one or more suitable abilities from the other. Do you feel anything different?" Aretha asked.

"Yes. My vision became very sharp," said Alex.

"That's a good ability. Eagle Vision is one of the best abilities. Let's see what Varis got," said Aretha.

Varis chirped, and a blue aura spread on his wing.

"Oh, his proficiency in Mana control improved. That's not bad," said Aretha.

Alex was a little ashamed. He got a good ability, but he did not have many abilities to share except the Mana control.  But with some practice, anyone can be proficient in Mana control.

Aretha saw Alex's discomfort and added.

"Don't worry, this is not the end. As you both improve your strength, you can upgrade these abilities or may even gain new abilities," said Ms. Aretha.

Alex was a little relieved.

"Ok, the contract is set. From now on, you are brothers," said Ms. Aretha.

"Of course, That's a given," Alex said as he caressed the little guy's head.  The little bird also did not dodge this time. Seeing Alex stepping up to his responsibilities, Aretha was pleased.

Alex suddenly remembered an important question he wished to ask and said:

"Ms. Aretha, this afternoon, I saw three great Demonic Wolves fighting the humans, and I felt an inexplicable fear just by looking at them. Can you tell me why?"

Alex wanted to know the reasons. So that he can make better preparations.

"You mean like this," said Ms. Aretha, and the air in the room started buzzing.

Alex felt a great force crushing him. It was like he was in deep water, and even breathing became hard. Just as he was about to collapse, the suppression disappeared.

Alex gasped for breath and slowly regained his composure.

"It is slightly different. But Yes, that's what I am talking about," said Alex.

"Well, that is the magic suppression from an Alpha beast or above," said Ms. Aretha.

"An Alpha?"

"You really don't know anything, do you? Now, I think it's a mistake to send Varis with you."

Varis on the side chirped indignantly.

"Ok. I will tell you the basics. Humans divided the beasts into five levels based on their Magic powers. They are - Common beasts, Fierce beasts, Alpha beasts, Lord beasts, and King beasts." said Ms. Aretha.

Alex noted them down in his Redbook.

"Human warriors are also divided into five ranks: Rookie, Professional, Elite, Master, Legend."

"You are just a normal Rookie now. If you face an Alpha-level beast with enormous magic power, you will be suppressed. Got it?" said Ms. Aretha.

"I think so, But is there a way around it?" said Alex.

"Well, if you have enough willpower and exposure, you can bear it," said Ms. Aretha.

Alex definitely had good willpower. However, as he was thinking about how to practice against the Alphas, he heard Ms. Aretha speak.

"Ok, then I will take my leave first. Don't forget to notify me before you leave," said Ms. Aretha, as she morphed into a Sky Eagle and flew off the cave.

1