Ch 9 – Realization
167 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rest of the trip to the farm was mostly spent processing our previous discussion. Terrance seemed to be quite pleased for some reason. And as we arrived he gestured towards Hagas, “Alright let's see about this quest then.”

I nodded in agreement, still leading the way to Hagas.

As we arrived Hagas smiled towards Terrance, “Greetings adventurer, anything I can help you with today?”

Terrance replied as he arrived, “I heard you have some quests for me.” Though he turned his eyes to me as he said it.

Hagas shook his head, “I’m sorry adventurer looks like I don’t have anything for you right now.”

I couldn’t help but reply, “Hagas, you said you had quests!” My tone matched my own confusion.

Hagas looked at me, “I have two quests, you can help weed my garden, or you can collect seeds from the forest.” he said with a grin.

I stared back at Terrance and nodded as though that explained everything.

“Accept, the weeding quest.” Terrance said.

“I’m sorry adventurer but It looks like I don’t have anything for you right now.” Hagas replied again.

I stared at Hagas in confusion, then looked at Terrance, and back to Hagas.

“But… But you just said you had them.” I replied, my confusion peaking.

Terrance, who didn’t look confused, was instead looking at me with a wide grin, “Maybe you should accept a quest. Seems to me like he doesn't want me to help.”

Hagas himself was looking at Terrance with a slightly confused expression.

I replied from casual dialog, “My sorry adventurer, but you are supposed to do the quests, not me.” 

“Oh? So what are we supposed to do? He refuses to give me the quest, yet he’ll give you the quest. So how am I supposed to help? Seems to me like the only one here who can help is you.” Terrance noted casually with a big smile on his face.

Well, I did want to be helpful. So I looked at Hagas and nodded, “I accept your quests.”

Hagas grinned, “Sounds great! I look forward to speaking with you again once the quests are completed.”

I looked at Terrance, “Well… now what?”

“Did you not receive a notification?” He replied.

I wasn’t sure what he meant, “Nothing happened.”

“Do you have a quest log? Quest markers? Anything like that?” Terrance asked.

I considered, I looked thought what I had access to, and tried accessing quests, however It didn’t yield information, I wasn’t sure what was wrong with it it just seemed to not give anything back, not an indication that there were no quests, not an indication that there were quests, just nothing. I tried it several times as Terrance had suggested with such ‘experiments’ earlier, however nothing happened on each attempt so it was consistent.

“Based on that confused look on your face I’d say not?” Terrance asked.

I shook my head, “Accessing quests is not doing what it normally does.”

“Hmm… What about for me?” Terrance asked.

“I don’t understand what you mean?” I replied.

“Don’t you usually pull up quests for an individual?” Terrance replied.

“No.” I answered.

Terrance also seemed confused by this. But after a short time, he seemed to come up with something else, “Maybe we can ask him about the quests.”

I wasn’t so sure, when someone had asked me about the quests I’d been unable to access the quest anymore. So I shook my head.

“No? Well let's give it a shot. Ask him.” He gestured towards Hagas.

I looked at Hagas and formulated my question, “Hagas, where do I need to go to weed?”

Hagas replied, “You’ll find weeds all over my fields, you just need to look for them.”

I was shocked but intrigued, “Hagas, where do I need to go to find seeds?”

“Just to the north in the forest you’ll find plenty of seeds scattered about.” Hagas replied.

I looked at Terrance, “He answered!”

Terrance just chuckled, “Why not? He's the quest giver himself, so he should clearly have additional dialog about the quests.”

I wasn’t so sure, but I nodded, “Alright, so I need to go gather these weeds and seeds.” I said, indicating what my plan forward was.

“You should probably find out how many you need as well, otherwise you might just wander around all day getting extras.” Terrance pointed out.

I was confused once more, “He wants a specific amount?”

“That's usually how it goes for a collection quest, he might want ten of each type of seed for instance.” Terrance pointed out.

So with a little help from Terrance I managed to get the information from Hagas, he responded once we had the right question, but otherwise he mostly just stood there grinning, probably just happy someone was helping him. I thought that he might be a bit unusual. No one else seemed to communicate that way.

By the end of it me and Terrance were wandering around the fields to find fifteen weeds.

I found a few, and grabbed them, but something about the situation was bothering me so I asked Terrance, “Why are you just following around instead of also weeding?”

“Well it's your quest, I can’t help with it.” He replied with his hands gesturing up as though there was nothing he could do.

“You can’t?” I mused aloud, a lot of what was happening was certainly confusing.

“Nope, I can’t even see the weeds, they are just for you.” He explained further.

“That's…” I began, unable to select a correct descriptor.

“Strange? Weird? Gamy? Terrance offered back.

I shrugged, and then continued processing what I’ve learned so far. Finally as I was walking to the last weed I would need I spoke, “Could it be that people have been doing my quests all along? But because the tasks for the quest are specific to each person, each person must perform the quest?”

“That sounds about right.” Terrance replied he seemed to be looking at me with a warm smile that I didn’t quite understand.

“Did you already know that?” I asked, my suspicion about his knowledge had only been building since we left together. I glanced at him, as I pulled the last weed hoping to see his face as he replied.

“Yeah, all adventures do.” He explained still with his warm smile.

“Why didn’t Tidal tell me then?” I asked.

“Maybe he just didn’t understand what you were talking about. From our perspectives this all makes sense in context. But it doesn't really line up with how you see things I imagine.” He explained.

“Does this mean that I’m an adventurer now? Because I know?” I asked.

“Do you want to be an adventurer?” Terrance asked with a raised eyebrow.

I considered, “I want to help people.” I explained.

“Do you think you are helping Hagas right now?” Terrance asked.

I nodded, “I do.”

“Then it sounds like a good fit right?” Terrance offered as I turned to route my way back to Hagas.

I considered for a few moments then nodded again, “Maybe I should be an adventurer.” After all what I was doing right now was adventuring, I was completing quests and that all lined up.

Terrance chuckled to himself, “Well how about this, we finish these quests, and then you can go back to the guild hall. Then I’ll meet up with you again and we can find more quests for you to do?”

“Do you need to come with me to be an adventurer?” I asked.

“I don’t know? But I’m certainly helpful right?” Terrance offered.

I nodded in agreement, “I don’t think I could have figured this out without you.”

“See? So we can just plan on this for now, and maybe once you’ve gotten the hang of things you can try some on your own?”

I nodded my agreement as I arrived next to Hagas. I looked to Terrance, “Now what?”

“Just tell him you want to turn in a quest.” Terrance explained.

I nodded, “Hagas, I wish to turn in the weeding quest.”

Hagas grinned at me, “Fantastic! That's one less bit of work I’ll have to do now. Here you are, ten coppers for your hard work.”

I took the coopers and then smiled back, “I’ll be back once I finish the seed quest.”

He nodded his head in reply and I started north.

It took me a bit to realize that Terrance had paused and was looking at me from behind.

So though I didn’t have to stop, I did and I called back to him waiting for him to catch up, “Terrance? I’m heading to the forest for the second quest.”

He shook himself and then caught up, “Sorry.. I was a bit surprised that you leveled up.”

“Leveled up?” I asked.

“Yeah, no notification for that either huh?” Terrance asked.

I shook my head, still not sure what he was talking about.

 

Ticket: #794 - Missing NPC

Bason: Players in my guild have reported that the NPC that manages the shop has disappeared on several occasions. It's not a huge issue since they can just warp to town, but it's sort of an inconvenience and it's supposed to be present and usually is.

Support: Thanks for your report. Can you supply player names, and provide timestamps for the instances where the NPC isn’t present?

Bason: Kervick and Mira, however I only have a time for Kervick, which was just before 03:42 GMT. They were complaining about it on our channel just after the incident.

Support: Thank you for the information, I’ll supply that information to the team so they can hopefully come up with a resolution.

10