Chapter 31: Dungeons, Dragons, and DP
2.4k 21 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilith raised an eyebrow. “Really?” She asked, motioning towards the large display case in the middle of the room. It read “Property of Lilith Clements and Kali, do not touch!” It was currently empty, but the main problem was the little heart underneath it that had “K + L” written inside of it.

Kali laughed nervously. “That was a month or two ago while I was prepping things. Carmen had just kissed me, and I was excited. I forgot about it, or else I would have removed it.”

Lilith sighed. “Alright, whatever. I’m guessing this is where we’re going to keep the core?”

“Yeah.” Kali said, “The casing itself is made of some pretty sturdy stuff, so even if someone does get in here somehow, we should have a bit of time to react before it gets dangerous.”

“So, how do we go about actually making the dungeon?” Lilith asked.

“Easy enough. Go ahead and get your spare avatar onto the pedestal, I’ll open it up.” She went up to the display and began fiddling with it, poking and prodding various parts of it. By the time Lilith had maneuvered the spare avatar in, a door had opened, and the spare avatar squeezed inside. Kali shut the display and it sealed, leaving no trace of the door.

“Alright. I’m going to need Mae to inhabit the spare avatar for this one, since we want Lilith to be the Dungeon Master.”

Understood. A short swap later, Lilith was back in the main body and Mae was sitting still in the display case.

“Now in a minute I’m going to sever your connection like I’ve done with Carmen, just a bit more…complete. It’ll probably going to be a little unpleasant, given how you are right now…” She trailed off, looking Lilith up and down. “It’ll be fine as long as we’re fast.” She said. “So, once the connection drops, I want Mae to concentrate on making a dungeon. It should just pop up a confirmation window, and you just need to hit yes. Since I’m your sponsor, I get naming rights over the dungeon, but I’ll pick whatever you want provided it’s not lame. So, what do you want?”

“Uhh…” Lilith froze, staring blankly ahead. “Um…Don’t put me on the spot like this.” Her lips moved soundlessly as she tried out different names.

“You’ve got one more minute.” Kali said, grinning. “Or else I’ll just name it whatever comes to mind.”

“Uh, um, The Hall of Judgement!” Lilith blurted out.

Kali smirked. “Acceptable answer. No takebacks, alright? Anyway, once the dungeon is made, Mae will be able to prompt you to become the Dungeon Master. As soon as you accept, I’ll reconnect the two of you and we’ll be off to the races. Ready?”

Lilith lurched forward as her body went slightly numb. She felt…heavier, and everything responded just a hair slower than it should.

Would you like to become the Dungeon Master of The Hall of Judgement?
Yes/No

Lilith immediately accepted, and a moment later she let loose an involuntary sigh of relief as the strange sensation vanished. “What was that?” She asked.

“I cut off your connection with Mae, and your body is linked to her main body. Unlike with Carmen, Mae wasn’t even being registered as a Parallel, and Avatar isn’t up to handling two extra bodies. Normally the second avatar would just go poof, but one was in use and the other was being directly sustained by the main body. So, you were experiencing the side-effects of that. But it’s all good now, let’s talk about how dungeons work and how you can expand.” Kali explained.

“Oh, Mae, if you haven’t gone back to the main body, you can do that now.” She said, noticing the slight movement in the Dungeon Core. “I don’t think it should interfere with the running of the dungeon.”

The movement ceased, and Kali continued. “Dungeons run off of two main resources. The first is mana, and that should be self-explanatory. It’s going to be in pretty much every purchase you make, and the Core is going to have a constant mana drain from the dungeon’s upkeep.” She paused. “You really might want to consider a Parallel for the dungeon. It’s going to increase the mana regeneration rate by a lot.”

“I just said no.” Lilith said frostily.

“I don’t think you’re considering this properly and you’re just letting your knee-jerk reaction get in the way of things.” Kali said. “I see literally no reason not to make one as long as you’re not doing it willy-nilly. As the one who actually made the Skill, I’m telling you it’s not what you’re making it out to be. And beyond that, the people who are already in the situation are telling you it’s fine.”

I understand your hesitation, mistress. However, you and I both know that you are looking forward to the prospect of managing a dungeon. It’s not like you’re creating someone just to clean toilets. I would implore you to consider this.

“I thought you wanted me to be more assertive.” Lilith said, ignoring Mae.

“Not when it’s against your own interests.” Kali replied. “If you can give me a good reason, I won’t ask again.”

Lilith paused. “My feelings count as much as everyone else’s feelings and it makes me uncomfortable?”

There was silence for a long moment. “I suppose that’s good enough.” Kali said. “Give it some serious thought, though. If you don’t make another Parallel or even a Mask, you’re going to hit a lot of walls with this dungeon and it’s going to make things a lot harder than they need to be.”

“That’s fine. I’ll deal with it.”

Siph grabbed her shoulders. “While I can respect you for sticking to what you feel is right, even if it means making things harder. However, as your mother, I’m going to tell you that if things start going south, you really need to do this. If this is directly related to getting you stronger, then it’s a matter of life and death.”

Lilith looked away. “Well, we’d need Carmen’s permission anyway. It’s not even a sure thing.”

Mistress, we are both aware that Carmen would be telling you to make another Parallel. Don’t try that excuse.

“Hey, aren’t you supposed to be on my side?” Lilith protested.

I am. And I’m telling you that, right now, the only one not on your side is you. This is incredibly inefficient.

“Oh, come on, it can’t be that much worse.”

Mistress, an avatar has 20% of your maximum mana and regeneration, one piloted by a Parallel has 95%. Which reminds me, have you given any thought to the evolution of those Skills?

Lilith blinked. “Why? They’re not going to hit max level for a while.”

During my experimentation I hit the maximum level in most of them. The only one yet to reach maximum level is Parallel Processing, and it’s at level 9. I also hit the maximum level in several other Skills, including Eldritch Abomination. I’ve compiled a list of suggestions that I highly recommend you look through.

Kali coughed. “Later. We have a dungeon to get started right now. Anyway, the other resource is, well, we’re just going to call them Dungeon Points. Generic, I know, but if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Dungeon Points are a sort of processed mana, and you gain them whenever mana is spent in your dungeon by anything except the Core, or whenever anything dies in it.”

“Including my monsters?” Lilith asked.

“Yes, but there are some caveats to that. You’re not going to get as much DP back as you spent on them, and if you buy a respawning monster you don’t get DP from its death. Mana spent by your monsters doesn't generate DP, and if you do the killing yourself you get no experience. But, if someone unaffiliated with the dungeon who so happens to be in your party kills them, that’s a different story. And they’re not sapient, so don’t worry about that. Even if they seem like they have intelligence, it’s all just a ruse. They can’t really think.”

She tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Well, unless you rope in something from the outside. But I doubt we’ll need to do that. Normally, Dungeon Cores have a type of monster as their specialty, but that’s tied to their Racial Class, and you’re a Perfect Chimera, so your specialty is everything. So, feel free to go wild with what you make.”

“The next important thing is dungeon effects. You can set these for the whole dungeon, for one floor, or even just for a few rooms. The one that’s probably going to be most important for you is Deathless, which boots anyone killed in the dungeon out to the entrance instead of killing them. Save the Dungeon Master and Core, of course. Given that we’re not looking to let anyone we don’t trust and want to keep alive inside, I’ve gone ahead and purchased that one for you out of my own pocket using a bit of Worship.”

“You can also place treasure chests in the dungeon, and stock them with a one-time cost of DP. The contents will respawn once a day, but that can be shortened with additional DP expenditure.” She cut off suddenly, staring off into space.

“Oh, my old administrator just got back to me on the notification thing. Alright, I gotta stop by her place and get this sorted out. In the meantime, do yourself a favor and play around with the dungeon.” She gestured towards the far wall. “That’s the portal I mentioned earlier. You should be able to expand your dungeon through there. If you have any big questions, you should still be able to contact me via telepathy, so don’t be afraid to do that.” She winked and left the room.

“Hey, Mae, you figured out how to open the Dungeon Management menu?” Lilith asked.

I was wondering the same thing, so I tinkered around with it while Kali was explaining things. You should just think about it, like everything else.

Siph walked up to Lilith and ruffled her hair. “Alright sweetie, I’m going to leave you to it and go hunting. Have fun, OK?”

“Alright, mom. Love you.”

“Love you.” Siph kissed Lilith’s cheek and walked out.

Lilith turned her attention back to the dungeon, opening the menu.

Dungeon Name: Hall of Judgement
Mana: 1,000/1,000
DP: 100
Dungeon Effects: Deathless

Available Options:
Claim Territory
Territory Editor
Dungeon Effects
Dungeon Upgrades

She selected the Claim Territory option and was met with an odd sensation. Despite there being no change to her senses, she knew exactly what the dungeon’s territory was, and she had a feeling that by pushing those boundaries she could expand them. She pushed the territory through the portal, then poked her head through herself. She was in a wide, grassy plain that extended beyond her line of sight. She expanded the dungeon to make her first room, securing a 10m by 10m area, extending 5m below and above the ground.

And she was nearly already out of mana. She found that, roughly speaking, each 1m2 claimed cost 5 mana, and came with 5m of height. Claiming area below or above already claimed territory cost half as much, so all in all it took 750 mana just to claim that plot of land.

Undeterred, she transferred over 750 of her own mana to the Core avatar and continued her work.

Mae immediately took half of the mana and gave it back to Lilith. We should keep the mana below capacity so we can take advantage of all sources of mana regeneration we have available.

“Ah, right. Thanks.” Lilith said, opening the Territory Editor and viewing the options.

Designate a Floor
Designate a Room
Edit Floor
Edit Room
Monsters
Traps
Treasure

She went and designated the area beyond the portal and above the ground as a floor, with the belowground area as another floor. She then designated each claimed area (including the one in Kali’s house) as a room and opened up the Edit Room menu. She selected the aboveground room and looked at her options. Since there were no outer walls, she was given the option to make some, as well as the option to make one of several pre-built structures.

But she didn’t have the necessary materials to do any of that. So, she spent 250 mana to hollow out the ground below, and then, using the stone and dirt, she spent 100 mana on a simple entrance hall, and a further 100 on some stairs downwards.

Mae took over transferring mana while she worked. She opened up the Monsters menu and scrolled through the list to get a better idea of what she was working with. She had a lot of options, and she wasn’t surprised to see that she couldn’t get anything halfway decent without bankrupting herself.

Broadly speaking, monsters came in two types, single purchases and spawners. Spawners would respawn the monster after a day but were far more expensive than a single monster. She didn’t have the DP to get one of those for the moment, so she turned her attention back to carving out space for her dungeon. She made the first room she made a hub of sorts, branching off into several separate rooms where she planned to house her monsters.

Towards the middle she had to take a break and let her mana restore. Even with the extra mana she got from Mae, she was just burning through it too quickly. Once she had finished her first floor, she got to work making DP. She began to cast spells and use Skills, just burning as much mana as possible. It seemed that she generally got DP around every 500 mana spent, so that came out to…

479.225 DP an hour. Mae said before Lilith even had time to start her calculation. If you pool all our regeneration, we regenerate 230,364 mana an hour, and if you assume we start with a full pool of mana, that is brought up to 239,612.5. Divide by 500 and you get 479.225.

“Thanks.” Lilith said.

It’s my job, mistress. While we work on this, would you look over my list of recommendations? I can handle spending mana for you.

“Oh, uh, yeah. Thanks.” As soon as she said that, a window popped up in front of Lilith.

Mae’s recommendations:

Class Experience Up (Moderate) -> Class Experience Up (Major) -> Class Experience Up (Maximum)
You’ll end at Level 9, which will give you a bonus of 450%

Growth Up (Moderate) -> Growth Up (Maximum)
This one doesn’t have a Major. It just goes straight from Moderate to Maximum. It’ll be maxed out and give a 200% bonus.

Racial Class Experience Up (Moderate) -> Racial Class Experience Up (Major) -> Racial Class Experience Up (Maximum)
You’ll cap out the Skill, giving a bonus of 500%.

Skill Experience Up (Minor) -> Skill Experience Up (Moderate)
You’ll be at level 2, giving a bonus of 20%

Diagnosis Skills -> Full Diagnosis (Moderate)
The Diagnosis series of Skills lets you look at HP, Mana, and Stamina of other things. King’s Knowledge will let us combine all of the ones we have into one that works for everything. The Moderate version will be fast enough that we can use it in combat, but we’ll only have 1 significant figure to work with until we level it up more, or if we choose to take more time analyzing something.

Other Biologist Skills (Specialized) -> Other Biologist Skills (Generalized)
You don’t need to worry about most of these. I’ll evolve them all together on my own time later, I don’t think they’ll be useful, so I haven’t bothered much with them, I’m just letting you know they exist.

Parallel Series of Skills + Eldritch Abomination -> Hivemind
Once Parallel Processing reaches maximum level, we can do this. It’ll improve our efficiency when we work together and will give us an extra mana pool that any of us can draw from.

Mathematician Skills -> Eye of Laplace
This will make allow the speed of the Mathematician Skills to be proportional to how much mental processing power I put into them. I think that’s all that needs to be said to state how useful it’s going to be.

And, finally, go pick a Class. I’d suggest resetting Progenitor and getting the maximum possible bonus from it before moving on to High Arbiter.

That all sounded fine to Lilith, so she went ahead and did everything that Mae recommended. Experience had started coming in from Siph again, so she was able to reach maximum level in Progenitor in one go. Before she officially switched to High Arbiter, she took a look at the Class, just to see what she was getting into.

Class: High Arbiter
Rank: Unique
Bonuses: +3 all stats
EXP Scaling: .01%
Skills:

Level 1: Contract Control
Level 25: Aura of the Arbiter
Level 50: Judge of Character
Level 75: Watchwoman
Level 100: Righteous Indignation
A unique Class given to the High Arbiter.
With this, the world will know that no one is above the law.

Contract Control
Level 0: 0/0 EXP (Skill does not level up)
Rank: Unique
You may declare any form of contract or agreement null and void, and any and all documentation will change to match. This costs 1 Worship, with additional Worship required if the contract is magical in nature (cost dependent on the strength of the contract). Magical contracts involving you take 1/10th the normal Worship to break. You may also change any contract or agreement or make new ones. This costs extra worship depending on the magnitude of the changes, willingness of the parties involved, and whether or not the contract or agreement is magical in nature.
Words may hold power, but you hold power over words.

Aura of the Arbiter
Level 0: 0/0 EXP (Skill does not level up)
Rank: Unique
You may choose to emit an intense aura, affecting sapient beings with a stat total less than 2 times your Charm. They become paralyzed, completely unable to act without your permission.
Order in the court!

Judge of Character
Level 0: 0/0 EXP (Skill does not level up)
Rank: Unique
You may look into a person, seeing any crimes they have committed within the last year. This includes going against your direct orders. This may be done for free once per day and will cost 10 Worship for each subsequent use.
Nothing can hide from the law.

Watchwoman
Level 0: 0/0 EXP (Skill does not level up)
Rank: Unique
You may spend 100 Worship to place a watch on someone. You may freely scry any person you have placed a watch on, and if they commit a major crime (including acting against your direct orders), you are notified. You may end this effect whenever you wish.
It’s you. You watch the watchmen.

Righteous Indignation
Level 0: 0/0 EXP (Skill does not level up)
Rank: Unique
Your stats are doubled against those who have committed a major crime or gone against your direct order within the past year. This effect is applied separately to all other effects.
Unlawfulness will not be tolerated.

Well. That was quite the Class. Lilith took it immediately and watched as her remaining experience converted into levels for the class.

As Siph and Mae worked, she began to think about what she’d take next. As she browsed through her list of Classes, she started a mental list of her priorities. Non-combat Classes would be less than helpful at the moment, so any of those were immediately thrown out.

What she needed right now was something she could pick up and use with relatively little learning. Unfortunately, that ruled out most close-combat Classes immediately. She wasn’t confident in her hand-to-hand skills, and the Classes wouldn’t actually grant any techniques. They’d only provide bonuses to her when she used those weapons.

I would suggest Gunslinger or a magic Class. Mae said. With guns you just need ammo and good aim. I can help with aiming, so with practice I think we can hit almost every shot and make some pretty ridiculous ones to boot. On the other hand, increasing our magical capabilities is always welcome. We’ve got an innate advantage over everyone else there thanks to Decipher, so either way we’ve got a leg up on the competition.

Right. So, her options were Gunslinger, Mage, Sorcerer, and Warlock. She had to admit that they were all very tempting options. Gunslinger was tempting, and she had to admit that snapping off shot after shot with near-perfect accuracy sounded pretty cool.

But...so did throwing out fireballs and lightning bolts. She soon decided that the question wasn’t what to take, it was what order to take it in. Warlock was last on the list for sure. It required more EXP than Mage or Gunslinger, and it focused more on harnessing black magic, making risky pacts, and generally seemed to be unnecessary for her. She could already do most of that stuff and if weren’t for the fact that it had a Skill that would increase the efficiency of that type of magic, she’d ignore it entirely. Sorcerer was probably next, as it focused on raw power at the expense of mana efficiency, and she wasn’t too interested in that. If she needed more power, she’d be basically unable to win anyway, so there wasn’t much benefit to her.

That left Mage or Gunslinger. Mage would give general bonuses to magic, and that was something she could get behind. It led into all sorts of other Classes too, so it was something she’d end up taking eventually anyway.

Then it hit her. She didn’t have any guns right now. She could probably get one from her dungeon, so that wasn’t an issue in the long run, but until she had a gun the class was basically pointless. So, that settled it. She’d pick Mage now and work through some of the classes derived from it and pick up Gunslinger whenever she could find a gun.

With that settled, she…really didn’t have anything else to do but wait. Not enough DP to do what she wanted, not able to leave without stopping her DP flow. It was going to be a long couple of hours.

Hey all, back once again with a chapter! This is the last Lilith PoV for this arc, and the second to last chapter in the arc!

As such, I'm officially opening up to questions for a Q&A, and they're staying open until Friday the 20th! This one's going to be a little different than the last one, though. I decided to do an in-character Q&A, since A: that sounds fun, and B: if you want an OoC Q&A that's open 24/7 in the comments. So, if you have questions you would like the characters to answer, send me a message, a character to answer the question (if any particular one is required), and any questions you have. Feel free to ask as many as you like, as I don't expect there to be too many to reasonably answer, but if somehow I end up with a ton then I'll just cut off some of the questions I feel are least interesting from anyone who has a large list. I don't expect to have to do that, though, so go wild!

Next chapter is going to be after a timeskip, and is going to have quite a few different PoVs, so don't be confused when that happens.

Anyway, onto the actual chapter!

Don't expect a huge amount of dungeon management in the series. It'll be touched on here and there, but it's mostly something that's going to be happening in the background.

Also, something I've been meaning to talk about for a bit, Lilith's regeneration is absurd. For Health, Stamina, and Magic. She regenerates just about anything within minutes, but the actual value of the regeneration itself is going to remain mostly static for a while, regardless of how much those three stats grow. The only way to increase it is via something from Racial Classes, Skills, or Titles/Achievements, and right now she's comfortable enough that she doesn't need to worry about actively seeking those.

Mae's recommendation window: Most people can't just make a window, even to themselves. Lilith and her Parallels are currently no exception. That window was provided courtesy of Kali, who honestly has nothing better to do with her time. Lilith will become an exception once she makes a Champion or two, but that's something for a later time, and she'll only be able to give windows to her Champions, not herself.

And no, she can't appoint herself as her own Champion. Even if Kali did the separation trick, as soon as the trick was undone, the appointment would be undone and all Worship used refunded, as the Worship wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the appointment and the base pool of Worship, if that makes sense.

High Arbiter's abilities: So, you'll probably notice right away that, Righteous Indignation aside, none of these abilities are really useful in combat. If Aura of the Arbiter works on something, it's probably not even going to be threatening enough to be a fight, so that's not really helpful. I very specifically chose stat total instead of a specific resistance stat on that one, as I wanted it to be 'anything strong enough' can resist, not just those decked out in magic resistance. It's not a magical effect as such, it's...not sure how to describe it other than an aura? An oppressive atmosphere?

Whatever. Point is, anything tough enough to threaten Lilith won't care about that. Most of High Arbiter's Skills revolve around utility outside of combat for upholding the law. Changing laws or overturning rulings. Keeping others quiet while you talk. Sniffing out crimes. Making things easy to stake out.

And Lilith could change laws. They're just a form of contract. You promise not to do x, we promise not to do y in retaliation. It would require a lot of Worship if it's a big law, and people wouldn't be notified of the change, but she could do it.

And, finally, so people don't ask, we'll be getting an updated version of Lilith's status soon™. When I've made it. It's going to be a lot of work updating everything after the timeskip, so I miiiiiiiight be putting it off. I'll...get to it when I get to it, or when it becomes too important to ignore.

Oh, and I've actually started work on the rewrite. Right now it's just the prologue, but once I get fiveish chapters done I'll be releasing it as a separate series, which I'll link here when it happens. I can't exactly modify the earlier chapters of this one, as I'm smashing multiple chapters together or splitting them apart as I see fit, and I wanted a better name anyway, so it works. I've got no timeframe for when that'll actually be posted, and I probably won't keep a consistent schedule on it once it is, but I think the prologue is already much better than it was, and it's only actually half-done, as I'm throwing chapter 1 into the prologue as well (I only have the current prologue rewritten now).

Anyway, that's all, thanks for reading as always!

46