Chapter 35: Resolve
2.3k 19 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey, it's me up above this time since I figured it'd get a bit more attention. It's just a reminder that I'm doing an in-character Q&A, and the last day to get questions in is Friday. If you want in on that, comment below or message me, whatever works. I...don't have any questions yet, as embarrassing as that is to admit, but if I don't get any I'll just take it to mean that the characters are explained well enough that no one feels the need to ask them anything. If you want an out of character Q&A, that's always open in the comments below. Anyway, here's the chapter!

Raphael sat down on her bed, looking into the mirror on the other side of her room. She had grown rapidly used to her new appearance, and…well, she didn’t even notice it anymore.

And, now, she had an out. A way to go back. Lilith’s base form was stuck that way, so staying a girl until they figured out how to change Lilith was pointless, because they weren’t going to figure out how to change Lilith.

And so, she was stumped. On one hand, she was taught to keep her word. She didn’t specify any ‘just in case it’s impossible’ scenario, so she would technically be going back on what she said. Lilith would probably tell her that the technicality isn’t important, but Raphael didn’t believe that. Technicalities were extremely important; her grandmother had given her rigorous training on contracts, both magical and nonmagical, and ignoring a technicality could mean big trouble down the line.

Especially if you were talking with the fae. And Lilith, technically, was fae. Carmen was almost explicitly fae. She couldn’t afford to treat technicalities lightly when dealing with them.

But, on the other hand, Lilith said it was fine. If everyone involved agrees that it’s fine to go back on someone’s word, doesn’t that make it fine? Isn’t the intention more important than the wording?

She wasn’t getting anywhere. So, she stood up and left the room, going down a few doors until she found the one she wanted, then knocked.

Alex opened it. “Raphael?” She said, blinking in surprise.

Raphael looked down, embarrassed. “H-hey. Can we talk?”

Comprehension dawned on Alex’s face. “Of course. Come in.” She had Raphael sit on a chair in the corner of her room, then hopped on her bed, facing Raphael. “Let me guess, you want to talk about…being a girl?”

Raphael nodded hesitantly. “Y-yeah. How did you know?”

Alex played around with her tail, twirling it between her fingers like one would a lock of hair. “Well, we don’t talk much, you’ve got a big choice to make, and I’m the only other person who really understands. So, I think it makes sense for you to come talk to me.”

“Oh.” Raphael paused, searching for a good way to phrase her question. Not finding one, she decided to just say it. “So…why did you choose to stay? Not what you told us back in the medical room, but the thing you were going to say and then didn’t.”

Alex blushed, glancing over to the door. “I…wouldn’t tell anyone else this, but because of your circumstance I’m willing, so long as you keep it a secret.”

Raphael nodded, confidently this time. “I promise. I’m good at keeping secrets.”

Alex fidgeted slightly. “I think I like Lilith. Like like her. I don’t know if it’s love, but…Lilith doesn’t like boys. And…well, I really don’t care very much about what sex I am. It was uncomfortable at first, but I’m used to it now. Actually, I’m used to liking it, but now I just don’t care. I remember liking being a girl, I remember liking being a boy. I guess it just all feels the same, and this way I at least have a shot if Lilith and Kali break up.” She cracked a small smile, obviously trying to lighten the mood somewhat. “Although that might change once I get my first period after removing that mental alteration. Might be worth asking for the mental alteration back, if only so I don’t have to deal with probably hating every second of it.”

Raphael was silent, unsure how to process that. Eventually, she spoke up. “Why does it matter if they’ve broken up?”

Alex looked around, unsure. “Oh, right. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but on Earth it’s weird to have more than one lover. So, I don’t think Lilith would be OK with it.”

Raphael paused again. “But she’s fine with her parents.”

This time, Alex paused. “Right. But…she’s apparently nervous about having even one girlfriend, so two is a stretch, at least for now. We’re not here to talk about me, though. What’s going through your mind? What’s your big question?”

Raphael frowned. “Well…it’s like this. I don’t really care about it anymore – Anyone who would give me a hard time about it is gone, and Thiala even said she likes me better this way. So, that’s not a big deal to me, so the biggest downside is gone. I’m still getting used to things like the bathroom, but it’s really not a big deal. And…then, I know it’s a little silly, but I don’t want to break my word to Lilith. I told her that I’d stay a girl as long as she did, and I don’t want to go back on that. She’s been really nice to me, you know? I was awful to her but she just didn’t care and so I feel bad not living up to my promise. I know Lilith said it’s fine, but I thi–”

Her rambling was cut off as Alex hugged her. After a few moments, she released the hug and knelt down, so she was at eye level with Raphael. “I understand. I get it, more than you think.” She leaned in, closing the distance between them further. “I was even worse to Lilith than you were.” She whispered conspiratorially. “Some of the others don’t know this, but I met Lilith because I was a member of the Society that was supposed to capture Lilith and bring her back for brainwashing.”

That shocked Raphael more than anything else. Alex had been a member of the Society, out to get Lilith? Alex was more defensive of Lilith than anyone…well, anyone except miss Siph. She couldn’t even imagine Alex trying to hurt Lilith, much less capturing her and bringing her back to the Society.

Alex leaned back so that they could see each other’s faces more clearly. “I know.” She said, smiling. “I was in a really bad place. I joined the Society because I thought it was unfair to keep the people of Earth in the dark about magic, and I hated that people like your grandma were trying to keep it that way. But…I regretted that pretty soon after. They were awful to me and pretty much everyone else, but I couldn’t get out. So, when it backfired and I was forced to serve Lilith instead…well, I had a way out. And she was just as nice to me as she was to you. So, I get it.”

She coughed into her fist and changed the subject, blushing. “I think that right now it’s not really about keeping your word. I think that’s something you’re telling yourself because you don’t want to acknowledge that you might like this.”

Raphael was about to say something, but Alex raised a hand. “Alright, it might be about that a little. But, let’s sit down and talk about how your life is different, and how it would change if you decided to be a boy again.” She sat back down on the bed and patted the spot next to her, clearly inviting Raphael over.

Raphael didn’t decline, moving from her chair to the bed.

“So, how is your life different now?” Alex prompted. “Anything that you can think of.”

“Well…I have different friends. Now it’s mostly just Thiala and Lilith. I can’t really call Emily a friend anymore, so that’s really all.”

Alex nodded. “Would that change if you changed?”

Raphael thought about that for a second. “No, I don’t think so. I mean, maybe Thiala wouldn’t be my friend anymore but…”

Alex’s face tightened for the briefest of moments before she spoke. “I’m sure that’s not true. I don’t think  Thiala meant that she only would like you if you were a girl. I think she just meant that she likes the way you act more now.”

“R-right.” Raphael said, not completely convinced. “Aside from that, grandma gets mad at me easier now.”

“Why do you think that is?”

“I think it’s because I’m not doing what she wants. She hates it when people don’t do what she wants, so she’s mad that I won’t. I…don’t think it’s that bad, though. It’s nice to be able to do something that grandma can’t force me to stop, and it’s not her business anyway.”

“Does her wanting you to change back make you not want to change back?”

Raphael shook her head. “I don’t…think so? Maybe a little? I’m not sure, but it doesn’t matter.”

Alex remained silent.

“Um, my clothes are slightly different. I don’t have as many pockets as I used to. But it's not like I’m not forced to wear anything I don’t want to.”

Alex waved her hand. “I can get pockets for you if you want, don’t worry about that. Does anything else bug you about the clothes?”

“No, it just still feels a little weird to see that the tags say that they’re girl’s clothes and not boy’s clothes.”

Alex narrowed her eyes. “And how does that make you feel? Are you sad that they say they’re girl’s clothes, or do you feel bad that you’re wearing them?”

Raphael put a finger to her chin as she thought about that. “I don’t think so. It just feels…weird. It doesn’t really bother me much, just sometimes I’ll forget, and it’ll surprise me. It doesn’t happen very often, though.”

“Alright. Anything else you can think of?”

Raphael thought about that for a bit. “I feel closer to you and Lilith now. Like we share something that no one else here does. Oh, and using the bathroom is different now, but I don’t think that’s a big deal.”

Alex laughed. “Right, right. So, what would changing back into a boy mean for you? What would be the positives and the negatives?”

“I would…be like I was before.” Raphael ventured.

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“A good thing, I think?”

“Why? I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I just want to know why you think it matters.”

Raphael froze, suddenly unsure. “I…don’t know. I…I’ll have to think about it.”

“That’s perfectly fine.” Alex said soothingly, “What else?”

“I can fit back in all my old clothes.”

“That’s true.”

Raphael thought for a while longer. Unable to come up with much else, she said her last bit. “I’ll…feel bad. Like I failed Lilith.” She mumbled, looking down.

Alex pulled the girl into a side-hug. “Hey. It’s nothing to feel bad about. Lilith wouldn’t want you to feel bad about being the way you’re most comfortable.”

“I know, but I’ll still feel bad.”

Alex squeezed Raphael a little closer. “I get it. Anything else you can think of at all?”

“No.” Raphael whispered.

“Alright. You go think about it for a bit, alright? Take your time, it’s a big decision.”

“Um…” Raphael began to speak but trailed off, too embarrassed to continue.

“Yes?” Alex asked.

“Can I…keep hugging you for a bit? I haven’t had a hug like this since…” She stopped there, not wanting to think about it any further.

Alex’s gaze softened even more. “Of course, come here.” She said, pulling the smaller girl into her lap and turning her so they were facing each other.

Raphael buried her face in Alex’s chest and wrapped her arms around Alex. In turn, Alex wrapped her arms around Raphael and began to stroke her hair. They remained that way for a few minutes before Raphael disentangled herself, blushing slightly. “Thanks.” She whispered.

Alex smiled. “Of course. Come back here any time, alright? No matter what you decide I’ll be more than happy to talk with you about this sort of stuff or give you hugs or whatever you want."

Raphael nodded, and went back to her room.


A few hours later, there was a knock at her door. “Come in!” She said, watching the door.

It opened to reveal Lilith standing there sheepishly. “Hey…can we talk for a bit?” She asked, rubbing the back of her neck.

“Of course!” Raphael responded, scooting over so there was more room on the bed. Lilith, taking the hint, walked in and sat on the bed next to her, not forgetting to shut the door on her way.

“This is…kind of awkward, and I really do want to give you time to think about things, but…I just figured I should let you know some stuff up front.”

Raphael, slightly worried, nodded. “Alright, like what?”

“Look, the whole “staying like this to bond” thing is just something that Carmen was using to manipulate you and, to a lesser extent, me. That’s not really…important, you know? I’m not going to treat you any differently if you decide to go back.” Lilith said, not meeting Raphael’s eyes.

Raphael patted Lilith’s knee. “She’s right, though. It is something that you, me, and Alex have in common that no one else does.”

Lilith shook her head. “That doesn’t make it not manipulative, though. I just…” She trailed off, leaving the sentence hanging.

“Hey. It’s fine. Carmen did some nasty stuff, but so did I. We’re even, I think. Even if it was manipulation, I like where it brought me. I’ve got better friends, and I’m not forced to do whatever grandma wants anymore. I liked the past month a lot, so I haven’t been suffering, alright?”

Lilith looked slightly relieved, but her face wasn’t completely free of worry yet. “Alright. Just…if you choose to stay like this, don’t do it because of what you said to me, OK? I don’t want you to feel like you have to stay like this forever just because I have to.”

And then, it hit Raphael.

Earlier, Lilith said probably forever. That meant there was a way back. And, considering all the options this new system had put in front of her, research into this sort of thing was going to be easier than ever.

Raphael jumped up from the bed, pointing a finger at Lilith in her best dramatic pose. “I’ve decided!” She said, excitement mounting. “I’m going to figure out a way to turn you back! And I’m not turning myself back until I do! You can count on it!”

Lilith waved her hands in front of her frantically. “I don’t think you understand just how difficult that would be! It’s hard-coded into the system itself, it’s not something you –”

“I’m not going to hear it!” Raphael replied, still pointing. “Just you watch, I’m going to be your hero! Now get out of my room, I have plans to make!”

Lilith reluctantly left the room, and Raphael waited a minute before following. She went straight to Alex’s room and knocked.

Once again, Alex opened the door. “What’s up?” She asked, looking at Raphael curiously.

“I’ve decided!” Raphael said, putting her hands on her hips and puffing out her chest. “I’m staying!”

Alex raised an eyebrow and waved Raphael inside. “That was fast. What happened?”

“Lilith came to talk with me.” Raphael said, hopping back into the chair she was in last time.

Alex giggled. “Seems like it turned out opposite to how she intended it to.”

Raphael grinned. “See, I realized that Lilith never said there wasn’t a way back for her, just that it’d be super hard. So, I decided that I was going to find that way!”

Alex raised her fist, and Raphael bumped it. “Sounds like a plan! What are you going to do now?” Alex said, smiling back.

“I’m going to train! I’ll level up so fast that even Kali will be surprised!” She bounced onto her feet, unable to stay sitting much longer.

“Whoa there,” Alex said, grabbing Raphael playfully. “Hold on a bit. I love the enthusiasm, but it’s late, you gotta get to bed! You’ll have plenty of time tomorrow, and it’s not like Lilith’s on a time limit, so I expect you to take care of yourself, you hear me?”

As much as Raphael hated to admit it, Alex had a point. “Alright.” She grumbled.

Alex ruffled Raphael’s hair. “Hey, don’t be down about it. I’ll get some books on transformation for you, and I’ll help you out tomorrow. How does that sound?”

“Really?!” Raphael said, perking back up instantly.

“Really. Now, bed!” Alex responded, shooing Raphael out of the room.

Hey it's me in your regularly scheduled bottom-of-the-page author's note. I've got a bit of a shorter chapter today, but it accomplished what I wanted it to and I didn't want to needlessly drag it out just to meet some arbitrary word count.

For the poll I posted last week, it's overwhelmingly in favor of tagging the novel as Girl's Love, so I'll be doing that as soon as this chapter goes up. Sorry, the three of you that wanted me not to. You made valid points, but, as I...think I mentioned in my responses, I prefer the tags to be representative of what the audience as a whole feels, rather than what I feel. With some exceptions if I feel people are, you know, trolling or something. So, I guess, feel free to suggest a tag if you think one's missing. I'll consider it, and if it's a safe bet I'll put it up.

Anyway, the chapter itself. Coming into this chapter, I was not expecting pseudo-psychologist Alex.

We got pseudo-psychologist Alex and I must say I'm very happy about it.

This particular justification was always the way Raphael was going to decide to stay female. I thought it made logical sense, given what we know of her.

And I also think it's reasonable that paying attention to technicalities and not going against your word is also taken much more seriously on Haven's side of things. With magical contracts, failing to do so is a lot more punishing than it is on Earth, and it's even worse if you're dealing with the fae. So, even an implicit contract like that is taken seriously.

It's also implied here that a relationship with more than two people in it is perfectly acceptable in Haven's society, and so I'm here to say yes, it is. I'll admit that's probably somewhat influenced by my personal views on the matter, but I also think it is natural given Haven's society was built during a time of really low population and a not-perfectly-even sex ratio (Mostly because of the presence of female/male only races such as dryads or satyrs. Which...isn't to say that the sex ratio is even IRL, it's just even less even in this universe. Not dramatically, like 40-60, but enough to be noticeable).

Anyway, next chapter we start officially start the next arc. See you then and, as always, thanks for reading!

47