Chapter 39: Nice to Meet Goo
2k 29 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey everyone, it's me. I've got a semi-important announcement at the end of this chapter, so be sure to read the chapter note.

Or don't. You do you, you know?

As the group made preparations to teleport, Lilith had Carmen bring their parents to the destination. She figured it would be best to get their inevitable meeting over with, and this way her grandfather would be guaranteed to be under the supervision of everyone.

Once the circle was drawn and everyone was inside, Lilith activated it, transporting them all to the living quarters.

“Hey.” Carmen said nonchalantly. “Lilith already told you, but I’m Carmen. Nice kind of meeting you all.”

Kirdin glanced at Lilith, confused. “You have a twin?”

Carmen rolled her eyes. “No. We’re the same person. Lilith already told you about this, remember?”

Kirdin furled his brow. “I thought that was like…a voice in your head.”

That too. Mae said. There are three of us.

“And we’re constantly sharing senses and whatever, so you don’t have to get me up to speed. Anyway, this is mom and dad. Mom and dad, this is grandma and grandpa.”

Kirdin snapped to attention, strutting over to Mike and looking him up and down. He sniffed disapprovingly, glaring at him. “I don’t see what’s so great about you. Break up with my daughter or I’ll snap your neck here and now.”

Lilith moved to intervene, but Tiamat grabbed her shoulder, shaking her head.

Mike maintained eye contact and spoke. “No. Regardless of what I feel, though, that isn’t something for you to decide. If she loves me and I love her, then you have no business telling us we can or can’t be together.”

Kirdin narrowed his eyes and looked at Jessica. “And you?”

She snorted. “Please. There’s no chance of that. Besides, that threat’s empty and you know it. Siph or Lilith would stop you before you could even try.”

Kirdin laughed uproariously. “You got me, well done. Both of you pass.” He turned serious again as he looked at the two of them. “This really won’t do, though. I can tell that neither of you have picked up any sort of eternal youth. If this keeps up, you’re just going to end up making my girl sad. Come on.” He grabbed each of them and started to drag them away, before stopping suddenly.

“Lilith? Where’s the training room?”

“Right behind us. There’ll be a teleporter that’ll take you straight to it.” Carmen answered.

“Much appreciated.” He said, turning around and dragging a bewildered Mike and Jessica into the teleporter.

Siph smiled warmly. “Dad’ll get them whipped into shape in no time. It’ll be hard, but I think it’s for the best. They need to be stronger, he needs to bond with them, it’s a win-win. Despite how he acts, he’s a remarkably good teacher. Still, I’m going to go make sure he’s not too harsh on them. I’m not sure he knows just how fragile humans can be.” She said, stepping into the teleporter with a wink.

Tiamat sighed. “That musclebrain never changes. You were going to show me around?”

So, they began to show her the place. Everyone else was out training, so they didn’t have to worry about interrupting everyone as they did their little house tour.

Which isn’t to say they weren’t interrupted. Around halfway through, Kali contacted Lilith mentally. Hey, can you come over to my place? I need you for a bit.

“I’ll keep showing her around, you go see what she needs.” Carmen said. “I’d like to talk with grandma a bit more anyway.”

Tiamat tilted her head. “What’s this all of a sudden?”

“Kali just called us in for something.” Carmen explained. “And, since there’s no real need for both of us to be in the same place, I figured I’d keep showing you around so you could get to know me better. Well, better than you already do, since a lot of what you know about Lilith applies to me too.”

“Oh, that’s fine. Make sure to come introduce her to me when you finish, though. I want to meet my granddaughter’s girlfriend.” Tiamat said, smiling.

“Right. Sorry about this, grandma, but it’s probably important.” Lilith apologized.

“Don’t be. You’ll still be right here, so I don’t mind at all.”

Carmen smirked. “See? Grandma gets it. Now shoo.”

Lilith sighed, but left for Kali’s house anyway. It was a little surprising to be called over there – recently Kali had been spending more time in Lilith’s dungeon than she had in her own home, so it was somewhat unusual that Kali specifically wanted to meet in her house.

Not that it really mattered, given the two might has well have been the same place with how closely they were connected.

“I’m here!” She called out, officially stepping out of her dungeon and into Kali’s house.

“Ara ara, you look so cute I could just eat you up.” Lilith was surprised as she felt her arm land between two soft and squishy things. She looked over to find that she was gripped by two gooey green hands connected to a tall woman made entirely out of the same slimy material. She noted, with some surprise, that she could see through her ever so slightly, like a frosted window.

The woman looked over to Kali, who was snickering on the bed. “Did I say that right?” She asked.

Kali sighed. “Yeah, you got it, but the effect’s ruined if you ask whether or not you did it.”

“I know.” The woman teased, sticking her tongue out. “Not fair if she’s the only one I get to poke fun at.”

“Yeah, yeah. Anyway, Lilith, this is my old administrator Amy. Amy, this is my first real Higher Being and, more importantly, my girlfriend, Lilith.”

“Nice to meet you!” Amy said, moving over to the front of Lilith and sticking out her hand. “I’m a slime but, like, the person kind.”

Lilith shook the proffered hand. “Nice to meet you.” She said, then glanced at Kali. “I’m not your first Higher Being, though? What about the Elder Gods?”

“Oh, those.” Kali waved her hand. “Those are more like AI than they are people. Don’t really count.”

Amy let go of Lilith’s hand and moved over to the couch, sitting down. “Don’t worry, I won’t stain the couch or anything.” She said, waving Lilith over. “Come talk with us. I was just about to help Kali lay out what’ll happen next, and you’re going to be part of that, so we figured you should know. That and I just wanted to meet you. So, come take a seat.”

Lilith sat down next to Kali, who immediately snuggled up to her.

“Alright, first things first, how much Worship are you making a day on average?” Amy asked, smiling.

“It’s only been a couple of days but around 1,000.”

“Not a lot, then.” Amy said, tapping her chin. “In that case, you’ll be better off building strength here for a while. I would have recommended that anyway, but we’ll just do it for longer. It’ll still be shorter than most people would take, since you already have a foundation and are catching up, but it’ll be a few years at least.”

“So, we need to talk strategy to do that. The key here is that people need conflict. Without conflict, people don’t have a motivation to get stronger. War is a pretty simple one, but the people who already know how to use magic don’t seem to be the type to start an internal conflict, at least not now, and you’ve rightly prevented conflict between them and the people who don’t know magic, so for them it’s got to be something else.”

“The people from Earth should be fine in this regard. There’s going to be territorial conflict for sure, and they’ll have their hands full just surviving, so you don’t need to worry about them. A popular choice to incentivize people to get stronger is to spend some Worship and make a demon lord system. A reincarnating individual that keeps some or most of its power between reincarnations and works to provide enough of a threat to make people band together and fight. As a bonus, they’re also usable as a combatant, so they’re a solid option.”

She looked at Lilith. “You’ve got a multiple personality thing going on, right? It’d probably be easiest to have the demon lord just be one of those. From what I understand you’re the world’s strongest right now anyway, and with this Kali won’t have to spend very much Worship. Just enough to give you the required abilities to be a demon lord and you’ll be set. It’d be way cheaper than making one from scratch.”

“Um…but…I don’t want to kill people.” Lilith protested weakly. “Don’t demon lords raze villages and that sort of thing?”

Amy’s expression softened. “I know it seems callous, but it’s for the best. If people don’t get stronger, you all won’t be able to get new planes, and if you don’t get new planes, people will run out of room and internal conflict is just going to get worse and worse. But, it’s not like you’ll be just killing defenseless people. An important part of being the demon lord is judging how much strength to use to give people a fighting chance.”

Kali squeezed her hand. “And if it’s you, we can be sure you won’t go totally out of control. I think I’ll be making one anyway, so it would be really comforting if it was you. I won’t force you, though. I know it’s a big ask.”

“Can I…have some time to think about this?”

“Of course. Take all the time you need.”

Amy nodded. “Right. It’s a big responsibility, so don’t feel pressured. You’ve already got a lot on your plate, so it’s understandable if you decide not to.”

She turned to Kali. “That being said, the next task is to start getting a team set up. A lot of people make the mistake of just throwing all their most powerful people into the team, but that’s sub-optimal. See, the thing about battling for a plane is that it’s all about Worship management. Whoever you send out can’t act normally without a stream of Worship, so you have to make the most out of the time they have there. More powerful people have a higher Worship cost associated with keeping them out, since they’re receiving more of your support to keep them at their normal strength. And, if someone forgets the rules and accidentally kills them, they cost more Worship to retrieve.”

Her face clouded. “It’s important to float people the Worship needed to revive their people if they accidentally die to one of yours. It’s just one of those rules that makes the whole thing tolerable for all of us. However, some people won’t do that, especially if they’re from an opposing faction. They’ll try and weasel out of it in whatever way they can. So, it’s important to take videos of your people fighting and interactions with enemy administrators when at all possible. If someone refuses to give you Worship after one of your people is killed, come talk to me and we’ll work on getting everything disseminated. If the proof is strong enough, the other administrator will be “blacklisted”, which just means that most people won’t refund them any Worship, and a lot of factions will close their doors to them.”

“If you can’t afford the Worship cost, or someone else can’t afford the Worship cost for you, we have a tool that will verify it for both parties; I’ll show you how to use it later.”

“But I’m getting distracted. You need to start thinking about team composition. A lot of people who use demon lords will use the teams of heroes that rise to defeat the demon lord, granting them immortality and sequestering them away once the demon lord is defeated, training them further to work with the other heroes and keep their skills strong. A lot of them will even explain the truth behind demon lords and have them work with the demon lord.”

“But that’s just a suggestion. Personally, I’d suggest making sure all your Perfect Chimeras make it to the field each time regardless of how you set your team up. They’re all big hitters, and, given how closely tied they are to your system, actually won’t be that expensive. From my understanding they already require a hefty one-off sum of Worship to make, so they’re going to be partially fueled by that in other planes. Their stats will probably drain over time if you don’t feed them a stream of worship like you do others, but that’ll fix itself after a bit of rest back on one of your planes.”

“And, honestly, Lilith could potentially be free. She should be able to sustain herself off of her own Worship, but I’m not exactly sure how the logistics will play out, as I haven’t ever seen someone as closely tied to an administrator’s system as she is. So, with that in mind, what are your thoughts on what your team will be like?”

At this point, Lilith’s attention was drawn away from Amy and over to Carmen, who was talking with Tiamat.

“So, it looks like it’ll be a few hours? In that case I think I’m about ready to go home, dear.” Tiamat said, giving Carmen a hug. “Your grandfather wants to stay and train your parents some more, so you should probably prepare one of those guest rooms. He might be here for quite a while.”

Carmen nodded. “I’ll do that after I send you off.”

Tiamat smiled, hugging Carmen. “I’ll probably want to come over every few days, is that alright with you?”

“Of course! Just let us know when you want to, and we’ll come pick you up.” Carmen said, releasing the hug and beginning to draw a circle.

A short time later, Tiamat had left, and Lilith returned her attention to Amy and Kali. They were still deep in conversation, and Lilith would have assumed the two had forgotten about her completely were it not for the fact that Kali had begun to play with Lilith’s hair.

Not sure how to ask if her presence was still necessary, Lilith didn’t, instead choosing to settle in and hope the conversation didn’t go on too much longer.

First off, sorry for the shorter chapter. When I finished writing I found that it was like, 2,300 words instead of the 3,400 to 3,500 I felt like I had written. Probably due to all the exposition? And so it was either post a shorter chapter now or add in some filler and post a late chapter, and I felt like there was no need to pad the chapter to an arbitrary word count, so I didn't.

That being said, before my "important" announcement, I'm just going to be transparent with everyone about the state of things right now. I've got a bit of writer's block at the moment, so while I'm figuring the next chapter out, I'll be writing up the double date, and that'll be next week's chapter. I know people wanted that to come later on, during an interlude of sorts, but I just need a bit of a breather week so I can do the next "real" chapter right. Sorry about that!

And, the moment you've all (probably not) been waiting for, the announcement! Or part one of it, anyway. It's a two part deal so if this first bit doesn't interest you just skip down to that. Anyway, I posted a status message about it, and you may have noticed on the fiction page, but I've launched a Patreon! So, right now, I'm going to preemptively answer questions I think people might have and explain a bit more about it, but feel free to ask me questions if you have more!

First off, Patreon will not affect releases here in any way. Well, aside from potentially reducing the number of errors due to patrons catching them first. I'm not going to change my interactions with people on SH at all, you'll still be getting weekly chapters, a Q&A in-between arcs, etc, etc.

Second, you shouldn't feel at all pressured to subscribe to it. Unless, for some bizarre reason, people want me to, I'm not going to advertise the Patreon in author notes or anything. It'll just be that little button below each chapter if people want it. This is purely a hobby for me, so I'm not trying to survive off of Patreon money or anything. Just subscribe if you want the benefits.

Speaking of, I've got three tiers of benefits, which are as follows:

$1: 1 advance chapter, as well as full access to the rewrite's finished chapters
$3: 3 advance chapters, full access to the rewrite's finished chapters
$5: 5 advance chapters, full access to the rewrite's finished chapters, access to anything else on my disk that I'm not actively working on and isn't like, 2 paragraphs. Currently includes a short story about the length of one of the chapters in this story.

That being said, the Patreon's kind of bare at the moment. I have a backlog of exactly 0 chapters (having just finished this chapter a few minutes ago), so I'm trying to use this as a way to force myself to build that backlog up because I've been trying to for a while and keep failing. So, there are two chapters of the rewrite and the story up at the moment, and TBH I don't recommend becoming a patron until there's at least one advanced chapter of The New Chimera on there. If you're interested, I'll be posting a status message when I have the advanced chapters for each tier up, so look out for that, I guess?

The other big news is that I have "officially" decided to start work on another story. It's been sitting on my computer for nearly as long as this one has, but it's also not nearly as complete as this was when I started posting it. I've got a bunch of different scenes written but no actual connecting material, so I'm working on getting that made. This story won't be posted on SH until I've at least connected all the scenes I've written (which could take up a while, all depending on how many chapters it takes to get to that point). I might hold off a bit longer if that ends up being a much shorter task than expected, so as to build up more of a backlog of chapters.

That being said, patrons will have access to chapters in advance. Uh, when they're written. Like the rewrite for this story, I'm not forcing myself to a schedule for it, so chapters will come when they come. Speaking of the rewrite, I've also decided to hold off on posting that on SH until it's completely written, and then just dropping the thing over the period of like...a month. Not gonna lie, a lot of the reason for that is to get it more exposure, but it's also because I don't want to set a hard date for myself for getting that done.

Anyway, the author's note has been pretty long already, so let's get into actual chapter commentary, shall we?

Did anyone else remember that Kali's old administrator was supposed to be dropping by? Because I did. I wasn't sure exactly what species to make her, so I ended up going with slime girl. Because I rather like them and don't see them too often.

As for Kirdin and training Lilith's parents, that just sort of happened. Especially the whole staying for a while thing. While I was writing I figured that Kirdin would prefer moving around and training his son and daughter in law to just looking around a house, so that happened. And then, later, I realized that his sense of time isn't going to be the same as a human's, and he wouldn't be satisfied with just a day of training, so I decided to have him stay over. He'll be mostly in the background, but I do have a few things planned with him.

And if that just happened, potential Demon Lord Lilith really just happened. Because, I was writing out the explanation for the demon lord, and then I realized that Lilith (well, a new Parallel) actually perfect for that job. Immortal? Check. Can shift around appearance to an extent? Check. More powerful than just about anything else? Check. Knows when to quit? Check. You get the picture.

I'm not sure if that's something that'll actually happen, but it's something I'm thinking about and it's all going to come down to how I feel Lilith will feel about it. She's not going to be able to use the excuse of 'not wanting to make a new person for something' since that'll be happening anyway, so it's all about whether or not she'll be willing to personally be in charge of it.

And we also got more information on how fights over planes work. I'll be honest, it's not fully fleshed out yet, but feel free to ask questions on the stuff that's been talked about in this chapter, I'll be willing to answer that sort of stuff. Anything else is potential spoilers. And also potentially not decided yet ;)

Also, this is just sort of a general thing, but ending chapters is hard. I always spend longer than is probably necessary tinkering with the last few sentences of a chapter, just to make it seem like a more natural stopping point, and I'm not always satisfied. Just a thought I had.

Anyway, that's all for me today, so, as always, thanks for reading!

44