66. Death or Glory
161 3 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We shouldn’t be that far away from the mountains, once we cross those we should be in friendly territory. I look over at William, he seems to have grown quite the beard since the start of the campaign. “Nathaniel, we need to split up.” 

“Why?” 

My brows furrow at the question. What could we possibly gain from splitting up? Wouldn’t that weaken our already faltering fighting strength? Unless we expect to lose the next battle no matter what there isn’t any reason to do so. 

“It is the only way, we cannot be completely destroyed. You promised me that you would take my letter to my son. You wouldn’t betray the promise you have made me, would you?” William looks at me. Suddenly the bag that holds the letter weighs down on me. I wish to take it and tear it up, into broken pieces that can never be fixed, but I cannot. 

He would simply give me another letter. 

“I have already planned the routes. You shall take the shorter route through the forest while I exit and head for the city of Nara. This should distract them and let you slip away without them ever realizing you were here in the first place.” William explains his plan, showing me each route by trailing his finger on the paper. 

“I hope to meet you on the other side.” 

“We shall see fate truly favors me, I hope to see you as well.” William’s response leaves a hole in my stomach but I cannot force myself to say anything to comfort him. As I am about to leave him he reaches out and grabs my arm. “One more thing... please give this to my son.” 

Looking back at him I see the Ashen sword. Passed down from parent to heir within the Asherton family. I look up and into his eyes. He seriously thinks that he will not return from this campaign and resigned himself to death. I grab the sword from him. 

“I-… I will give it back to you on the other side.” 

“Thank you.” He tells me but I merely turn around and begin to march on my path. If I turn around and look back I will not have the courage to leave. Memories flash by my mind. Of him reaching out to me during my childhood. Taking care of me and teaching me when nobody else would. 

___________________________________________________________________ 

I make my way to Nara. My head pounds, visions blur together. Nothing makes sense but all I know is I must go to Nara. I don’t remember where I heard it from, perhaps it was an Arrian adage. When one enters a battle hoping to live, he shall die. When one enters a battle expecting death, he may live. All I know is it is very fitting for my situation. 

Whatever awaits me in Nara I am ready for it. 

Be it death or glory. 


A/N: I am back! I got most of the ending done but I am still hesitant about releasing the next few chapters because I don't feel that they are fully finished as they seem to be missing something.

0