28.Finally Reached Cerva
403 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I look up to the grand walls. I cannot believe that we have finally reached Cerva. We had to leave behind our heavy cavalry. How long will it take us to take this castle. It has multiple layers of outer walls! 

It was clearly designed to allow the defender to keep falling back. To simply grind down the enemy as this was the only way into Arria. “This will take too long. The nobles will start revolting before we get past this. They already barely sent any soldiers and rations.” We have a few cannons but we would still need to spend too much time before we could take Cerva. Besides, just because we take down the walls doesn't mean we have managed to take the castle.

"The casualties will be too high. How would we fight afterwards?” 

“We will not be able to take it.” I look at William. I do not doubt his words but if we cannot take it then how will we win? Arria will be far more willing to continue this war than Allonia. “It has only been taken twice in history. Both times by Arrians during civil wars.” 

“What will we do?” 

“We have to simply ignore it.” I am lost. We already went past the only other way into Arria. To simply go back would be time wasted. “We allow the Aveven military siege Cerva, while they think we are held up here we sneak over the mountains and attack their undefended belly.” 

If we can accomplish this then it would be impressive but... these mountains are impassible. It is the strongest geographical border in the world. To simply ignore it? What will Aveven think when we do this? I seriously doubt they can siege Cerva with any efficiency.

“We will live off the land. Destroy the countryside and hope Arria buckles first.” 

“Hope?” Hope is a horrible plan. One should only do an action if it heavily favors you. To choose a battle that could go either way is a strategic failure. “I cannot support this, we have to come up with another solution.” 

“The moment we took up our arms we were fighting an uphill battle.” William looks tired. He has been trying to find a way to win and I do not think he has seen it. He is merely taking the actions that increase his chances the most. “Our hands were tied. Do we let Arria increase their power unopposed? We may not win but we need to make it hurt.” 

“You aren’t trying to win?” 

“I am trying to win, anything but rolling over is a win in my book. We can discuss the logistics later. We still have to wait before fall and winter are over. Until then it is going to be impossible.” A wave of relief washes over me. At least we will be doing it during the warmer spring. This would also give us time to issue instructions to the Aveven army. I believe even King Harold could follow these without making a mistake.

“This is simply marvelous. I would never have believed Arrian’s could build something so grand.” There is nothing like this in Allonia. Some castles are actually good but most aren’t as there really is no threats nearby. Only the Kingdom of Felworth is of any concern. 

“Yes, they do like their buildings. Everything is built to be grand and impressive. Some people feel as if it lacks a soul but I do not see it that way.” I guess I could see it having no soul in it. The castle is imposing. 

“How was your time in Arria?” 

“Better than it was in Allonia, I am a bastard.” I lower my head. I knew this about him. The civil war saw the end of the Cavendish line and the near end of the Asherton family. I am surprised they treated him better with their arragance. “Back home I was shunned, in Arria I was simply ignored. I spent a lot of time reading tons of books. Did you know Arria has tons of books in it?” 

“They do?” 

“Did you think them uncivilized? That title belongs to the Yanzhou, they simply like taking rather than creating.” He seems to dislike the Yanzhou immensely. I guess it is his time spent away from Allonia that fostered this hatred. I guess the continent would be more peaceful if they had never come here. 

“Do you know where they came from?” 

“I am not entirely sure. I hear it is from a faraway continent. The exact location is beyond me but they should simply go back to their ancestral homeland.” It doesn’t really matter. They should just leave us alone and go back.


A/N: So how well do you think William's plan will go? Will he manage to break Arria's spirit? Do you think the Aveven army can take Cerva? How do you guys think Michael will react upon finding out an Allonian army is in his country side wrecking havoc and chaos? After we get through the Fall/Winter the war will speed up as it will be a different type of warfare. Siege warfare is boring and takes forever. As always, thanks for reading. I hope you guys are enjoying the story!

5