29.All Too Common
309 5 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The votes grow even closer than before. While I still haven’t cracked Giovanni’s voting bloc it isn’t the same thing as it once was. I could start forcing things through but that would cause the remaining nobles to grow even more distant from my side and push them to Giovanni. I need simply wait for things to go my way. 

After morning court finishes Giovanni walks up to me. I merely narrow my eyes. What is his purpose for meeting me? He has long since ignored me whenever possible. Well... I guess I might as well play along. 

“Your Majesty, I have been wondering how busy you have been lately.” He gives me a fake smile. I clearly haven’t been as busy as you. I had been certain I created a coalition to beat you and yet it seems to be a few people short. “I am concerned about your health. I still remember the time that you collapsed due to exhaustion. We are all your loyal subjects. You should rely on us a bit more.” 

“I thank you for your concern. I have never felt better. My youth has allowed me to recover and I have been more careful since then. Which reminds me... You are getting along in years. Perhaps you should take a step back from the political scene to foster good health.” I smile at him. You say I am working too hard? Well look at yourself old man! You seem to be working even harder than I am. Your daughter will worry for you if you continue going on like this. 

“I thank you for your concern. I will be taking my leave, I promised to show my wife and son to the Great Library.” He says leaving me alone with my thoughts. My body does feel fatigued. I spend almost every single day and night inside my study. I do not like doing paperwork and I have never liked it. 

I much prefer the sword and being outside under the sun. 

Not that that is an option. I need to keep working. A few more well-placed bribes and I can probably solidify my base. I just need to pass a couple of laws. I look outside. The weather is no longer as nice as it has been. Fall is quickly setting in. 

The war will lull during the period. 

I get up and walk around the palace. I usually hole myself in my study working all day and if I am not there I am at the training grounds practicing my sword skills. While walking around I see Francesca. 

Before I can call out to her she rushes into a room. I frown upon realizing that is the library. Does Isabella not spend most of her day in there? Why would two people who dislike each other take any time of the day to talk to each other? 

“Lady Casttica, what a pleasure it is to see you today as well.” I stop before entering the room. While it isn’t polite to listen in on people’s private conversations this is my palace. I can do whatever I want. “You don’t seem flustered today.” 

“Yesterday I was in too much of a rush to see you. Today I took your advice and took my time.” Clearly something is going on with her. I look behind me to see Luca listening intently as well. Now that I am thinking about it he has been leaving my side more and more lately. It doesn't take long for me to figure out what is going on.

“Luca.” 

“Yes, your majesty?” 

“It seems I have grown blind. Are you perhaps jealous of Matteo?” Luca just blinks before kneeling on the ground. It seems that I have caught him. He wasn't even trying to be sneaky about it. “What is her opinion on the matter?” 

“She... still doesn’t wish to marry me. I hope to change her mind slowly.” 

“Then I will leave this matter for another time.” I deal with corruption all day. It seems this has caused me to become jaded about it. I have begun to see it as a normal thing. It is all too common in my opinion. 

I knock on the door. It is about time that I joined them. 

“Your majesty!” Isabella is the first one to call out to me. I would have thought after last night she would have called me by something more intimate but I guess I was wrong. I just walk over and sit down next to her. 

She seems to have been reading books on the previous emperors. Does she want to know about my family's history. “What have you been reading?” 

“Nothing all that impressive. I happen to enjoy reading and thus I spend a good amount of my day here.” I am not surprised. I have been informed about her activities since she got here. I pick up one of the books and read them. 

They go over the important details but since I have read the diaries these seem so distant compared to what I know. It is a very different view on what has happened. It is much too generous about their actions. 

But a few of them I respect and by a few I mean a very small amount of them. Some of them created public works for the people. Improved standards of living. Created law and improved the military. These books cover all the great deeds they accomplished. I guess one doesn’t want to mention the faults of the emperor in a book. 

What will they write about me? How will I be remembered in history?


A/N: I have written 30,000 words. I cannot believe how far I have gotten in this story. Usually by this moment I would have long since gotten bored of writing the story and put it on hold. I think there are two big factors: First, this world is very well developed on my end. There is just a ton of stuff to know about it. Impossible to write in a single book. Secondly, writing for you guys has given me the motivation to get farther than I ever have.

I am still currently working on the winter chapters and I am excited to get to the war. Fun fact: In the previous version the war was well under way and closer to finishing with half the words. While this one may be a tad bit on the fast side of pacing it is nowhere near as fast paced as my previous version. As always, Thank you for reading!

5