30.Talk of War
312 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sit down with Reynard Hamond De Mitham. He goes over some offers with me but none of them please me. If I accept any of these it would seem as if we lost the war. I will not go down as the emperor who lost to Allonia. 

A nation so politically unstable they had a civil war less than one hundred years into their existence. Though I guess losing to William wouldn’t be that surprising, he did destroy his opponents. 

“Sir Mitham, you are not even giving me a chance to accept. I refuse anything less than Arria taking the land.” I smile at him. Arria would be willing to fight to the bitter end. I cannot say the same for Allonia. 

“You are being unreasonable. I believe a white peace is more than acceptable.” If I have issues at the moment accepting a white peace would cause a civil war. Crown authority would plummet, Arria would be destroyed. 

“Talk of war tires me. Perhaps you would like to join me for tea?” 

“Of course.” I wave in some tea for us. Since I can remember Reynard was the official diplomat for Arria. Allonia is the only Alton nation to maintain a diplomat with Arria. This might be something to change in the future. 

I would need to convince enough nobles that it is worth the trouble. While alliances are out of the question trade deals might not be. Arria has a ton of natural resources. Trade would be very lucrative for us. Even if we never trade with Allonia stepping up in continental trade would be very beneficial.

I pick up the tea and take a sip. It is definitely poisoned. I have long since learned how different poisons tasted. That and it leaves a sense of heat upon my back where the sigil is. “I recommend we skip the tea, it isn’t very good.” 

“Not good? It smells delicious.” 

“I am glad you think so. Do you ever miss Allonia?” I know if I leaved Belnuo I would miss it. I spent my youth growing up here. Most of my life was spent here. While I have traveled across all of Arria nothing seemed better than Belnuo. 

“I most certainly do. Unfortunately Allonia is nowhere as stable as Arria.” I do not doubt it. The War of Brothers was bloody and scars can still be seen in Allonia to this day. The door opens and I look over to see Isabella enter. “Your majesty, it has been too long since I last saw you.” 

I swear that Reynard appears to be nervous. I do not know why he feels the need to be threatened by Isabella but I choose to ignore it. “Come and sit down. I am talking with Duke Mitham.” 

“I see that you have been well Duke Mitham.” 

“Thank you for your concern. Might I say that you are looking as beautiful as ever.” Now that I am thinking about it I do not believe that Duke Mitham has remarried since his wife’s death. “How have you been your majesty?” 

“I came to make sure that his majesty took some time to relax.” I wasn’t planning on doing anything today other than practicing my swordsmanship. I am pretty much done with the ledger. I have squeezed out all the money I could from it. 

“It is very important. I am sure that he is tired after how much he works.” I want to scoff at the very mention. I probably don’t work as hard as many of the Allonian emperors. They have an entire disaster to deal with. 

To have to be voted on to become emperor. Shameful. The mere notion defeats the entire purpose of an emperor. A strong ruler with the ability to guide the nation in times of troubles. No wonder Allonia always seems in trouble. 

It is a repetition of the parliamentary system all over again. 

“I am fine. I am merely doing my duty as emperor.” Reynard and Isabella talk but the conversation is awkward. I simply remain queit for the most of it. Small things hardly need my comment on them. I don’t necessarily have a favorite place or food. 

“I noticed the tea being served here has changed recently. Do you know why?” 

“That is because this tea helps with fatigue. This tea is also native to Arria rather than imported from Monza.” Isabella answers his question. I hardly noticed that the tea has changed but now that I look it is true. 

“Oh, I thought it was just because it tasted better. My mistake.” Reynard laughs. I am fairly certain that he didn’t care about the change in tea. He is most likely trying to get into our good graces in an attempt to change our mind. 

I sigh at the poor fool. It is a nice attempt but it is doomed to fail.

“Excuse him, he is just exhausted.” Isabella explains to Reynard. There isn’t a need to apologize but I remain silent anyway. No reason to be rude either. 

“Hm? Did his majesty do something?” 

“Did you not hear?” 

“He cannot read our facial expressions.” I explain to her. My sigh was hardly audible. Only reason she notices was because she could tell I was tired. Reynard probably ignored the small sound. 

The two begin to talk even more after that. Why is she paying any attention to him? The man is old and a father. What could possibly be so interesting. I should probably end this and bring her to lunch. 

Before I consider the idea of cutting out his tongue for talking too much.


A/N: I can't even! They are so similar! What kind of punishment would you give a diplomat? Cut his tongue! I noticed your guys favorite chapter is the one with Matteo. Do you guys like him? This makes me want to bring up the question of who is your favorite character. Just so I can see how the answer has changed. So, who is your favorite character and why?

7