31.Deja Vu
281 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After Reynard finally leaves an awkward silence fall upon the room. “He is too cowardly. He seems very Allonian.” I nod my head in response. Allonian’s tend to weigh things in benefits. If it isn’t in their favor then they avoid the situation like the plague. 

“His Arrian is impressive for an Allonian.” I give him some credit. Not a lot of Alton countries even bother learning our language. When would they use it? So long as they leave us alone we tend to leave them alone. 

“Shall we have lunch?” 

“Very well.” I say getting up and offering my hand. I am not all that hungry but if it means I can spend some more time with Isabella then I don’t mind. She takes my hand and stands up. 

She talks about what she has been reading about. I have read a good number of the books in the imperial library so I am simply hearing things I already know. I don’t tell her this and pretend to be interested. 

“You know a lot.” 

“My father ensured I got the best of educations.” I do not doubt her words. Giovanni was very strict about his education. He was not happy when I skipped lessons. Or when I messed up his study that one time. 

I had just received a pet hawk. 

I will not apologize for doing this. Giovanni had it long coming. “What have you been reading about?” I know a large part of those books are military books. I do not think Isabella would be interested in the art of war. 

“Mostly history, I have read most of them before but it has been a while since I was studied.” 

“What time period is your favorite?” I happen to enjoy reading about the time period after the establishment of Arria, after Lucifer’s death. This is where Arrians lived in relative peace and prosperity. It was also Arria’s golden age in my opinion. 

“Can I answer all of Arrian history?” I want to laugh. That is not an answer. “What about you, what is your favorite time period in history?” 

“Can I answer none of it?” 

“No.” She expects me to give her a proper answer and yet not herself. This double standard is awe inspiring. “That is not an answer. My father’s favorite period in history is the reign of the second emperor.” 

“Is it?” 

“You still haven’t answered my question.” I wasn’t planning on answering it. I honestly hardly have a favorite. I am probably apathetic to it all. Why bother picking a period in history as your favorite when all serve the same purpose. 

To teach people of past mistakes and successes in order for those in the future to learn from it.

“I have not. How about I allow you to guess the answer.” She rattles off some time periods and I just shake my head. She is well versed in Arrian history. “Are you finished?” 

“No, don’t tell me you enjoyed the parliamentary era?” 

“No. Dear lord no!” The corruption of that era was horrid. After my long and stressful attempts to lower the corruption within Arria I have developed a deep-seated hatred towards corruption. I hate it almost as much as I hate the Yanzhou. “I prefer making history over being victim to it.” 

“I can see that. You are not one to sit idly by and wait for disaster to happen.” Isabella stops before looking down a hallway. We are almost to the dining room. Time has been moving by too quickly. “I like that quality.” 

I look to the corner to see Luca and Francesca. Could he not be any more obvious? “Lady Francesca, how are you?” She straightens herself out. Luca just smiles at us. He is very persistent. 

“I am just fine, how are you?” 

“I was just having a lovely time with my husband.” She says narrowing her eyes. I don’t think she needs to worry about Francesca but clearly she still hasn’t lowered her guard. “You looked to be having a... pleasant time yourself.” 

“Are you going to join us for lunch?” I ask. If she is here might as well invite her. I know eating by oneself can be rather dull. I seat myself at the head of the table. A sense of Déjà vu overwhelms me. 

It is too quiet. Are they still fighting? Is Isabella still unsure about my loyalty? 

“Luca is rather handsome, is he not?” 

“He is a very dashing person.” Francesca responds. Lunch is brought out and silence descends upon the room. I just try my best to stay out of their conversation. “How have you been? I noticed that we haven’t chatted today.” 

“Forgive me, I was spending time with my husband.” I just lower my head and begin eating faster. I don’t really care for lunch but since Isabella likes it I just let her handle the meals. I will eat just about anything put in front of me. 

“Understandable. I hope to see you this evening, a day without you feels like an eternity.” I can hear the smile from her. I think this is far better than last time. I don’t have any more food to eat. 

“I am looking forward to it. Though, I hope I don’t take away time from you.” 

“Thank you for your concern. You needn’t worry about me.” I look up at Luca. He is just staring forward pretending that he doesn’t exist. Most of the time this would work but right now I need him. 

“Luca, we have something to discuss.” I say getting up. “Forgive me ladies, I hate to leave early but I have some matters to take care of. I shall see you later.” 

I say giving Isabella’s hand a kiss before leaving.


A/N: So... Francesca and Isabella, they have improved their relationship by quite a bit, right? I keep getting Michael or Matteo on your guys' favorite character which I find hilarious. Talking about Matteo, he returns next chapter. You guys excited?

6