56.Concentration of Forces
175 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I swing my blade between a soldier’s neck and collar bone. To think that they would even have built a fort for such an insignificant bridge as well. I sheath my sword and pick up a spear on the ground. A large number of the soldiers are wearing chainmail, a spear will be easier to use against them than a sword. 

Another Arrian shouts a slur at me and I block his spear with a small circular movement. I swiftly redirect my movement and stab him. I pull the spear out from his body. 

A hole is left where my spear pierced the armor. 

I look around to see mostly Allonians. There were not many Arrians defending the fort but I am sure each one fought to the death. Things such as this make siege warfare a pain. We have been slowed down because we had to build makeshift ladders. 

While only a couple needed to be made they still had to be long enough that the defenders couldn’t simply push them off the fort. I look back and signal that it is safe for William to enter. 

There may be a couple of Arrians hiding within corners of the building but for the most part we have taken over the building. I grab onto a weapon on the ground. A crossbow. A neat little tool. 

I toss it back down as the soldiers lower the gates and William enters. 

“This was easier than I expected it to be.” I tell William. He gets off of his horse and smiles at me. His jewel like eyes gleam. “You are giving me a weird look.” 

“Sometimes what you say is funny. This is just a simple fort not supported by any army camp or city. Naturally it is fairly easy to take.” Each of his words betray his good mood. Now that we have taken the fort we can cross the river. “They won’t be able to defend every fort along the way.” 

“Shall I send out scouts to screen ahead?” The question is a stupid one. I already know the answer but I want to hear it from him. William gives me an affirmation and I begin to move. I begin to instruct them on what I want them to look into. The area is relatively flat so I am not worried about surprise attacks as much as before but... there are many ways to ambush the enemy. 

“You see that forest.” 

“Yes, sir.” 

“I want you to carefully scan the entire place. Do not let your presence be known.” The scout nods his head and I send him off. I am having a bad feeling. I look out onto the fields. It reminds me of Allonia. 

I am immensely homesick. Too long have we been stuck back here and it is causing me to grow ever more tired. I have been stuck in this place for too long. Marching day in and day out. 

“It is only going to become even harder.” 

I look back to see William walking towards me. The longer we stay back here the harder it will become. Resources will begin to dwindle, manpower will be grinded down until it becomes too low to realistically win a battle. 

“Do you think that there is somebody who can beat us?” 

“Who knows. Victory can depend on many things. Sometimes plain luck is the greatest factor.” I want to snort in response. Plain luck is stupid. Deciding the fate of a battle on pure luck is stupid. For that matter anything related to luck is stupid. 

Our conversation is cut short because I suddenly hear a horse galloping back. 

“Sir, grave news. An army is camped between us and the next river.” I thank the scout for telling me and inquire about their numbers. Another army that is larger than us. Once again they are larger than us. 

How to break them and achieve victory. 

“Opinion?” 

“Concentration of forces would be best.” We don’t have any terrain to attempt a different strategy. This is the one most likely to succeed. All we would need to do is decline battling on our weakened center and flank. 

“Good idea. Change up your tactics so that nobody can predict them. The moment the enemy knows what you plan is the moment you have lost.” William responds to my answer with praise. I need to keep each and every word of his in my memory. “We will draw plans today and meet them in battle tomorrow. Allow our troops to rest before the next battle.” 

“I shall get to it.” I bow and begin giving out instructions to make camp. Tomorrow will be another long day. 


A/N: Next chapter is the battle. Any bets on who wins?

2