Chapter-7 Burning Deserts… 8/10
31 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day-Time.

Sen suddenly woke up to the sound of gunshots, he looked around to find his stuff still with him but he wasn't in the same place he was before, he was now in some sort of military base.

he got up as he took his M16 with him, he looked behind to see dozens of soldiers all running around while carrying all sorts of equipment and guns, Sen looked to his left to find the bot and the soldier waving towards him.

??? Boy: over here!

Sen walked towards the two as the soldier introduced himself.

Captain-Allen: first I would like to introduce myself, my name is Captain Allen, I would like to thank you for saving me, if not for you I would have died so I'm very grateful, if I had died my younger cousin here would lose his older cousin.

Allen puts his hand on Sen's shoulder as he continues to speak.

Captain-Allen: really, I'm grateful that you saved me, if I had died who knows what would have happened to him if he hadn't found you, or... maybe you have found him, its good to see that there are still good people in this cursed nation.

cursed nation? don't tell me this is world wide Sen thought to himself as multiple helicopters passed above them, Allen snaps his fingers as he removed his hand from Sen's shoulder and scratched his head.

Captain-Allen: ah! I nearly forgot.

Allen looks at the kid beside him while the kid looks down in response while Allen smiles and looks back at Sen.

Captain-Allen: I would like to apologize for what Peter did, I hope you can forgive him, he's just a child and I'm his only relative here, sigh... he lost his mom to those zombie freaks, I hope you can understand.

Sen nods while Allen did the same.

Captain-Allen: right, we need to get going, by the way we need fighters like you on our side, I'm not asking you to fight for us but if you can lend a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

Allen turns to his left to face the front line where soldiers are mostly gathered and are fending off the undead hordes.

Captain-Allen: ah, looks like I'm needed, see you later.

Allen walks away towards the front line while Sen looks at the kid in front of him.

Peter: I... I think I have to go too... g-goodbye.

Peter bows at Sen before running to some part of the base and disappearing among the crowd of soldiers leaving him all alone, Sen sighs as he looks above him to see not towering buildings but the bright blue and sunny sky.

Sen looked towards where Allen went to as he walked towards his location, he walked through the crowd of soldiers running and walking in every direction, once he passed the crowd he finally sees what the outside of the base looks like.

thousands, a hundred thousand undead, some even mutated, the horde contained all sorts of horrors, flying humanoid bats, giants, skinny skeletal like humanoid spiders and flesh monsters.

eww... Sen thought to himself as he shakes in disgust, they were all ugly looking rather than scary.

sigh... I better give them some support, Sen thought to himself as he looked around and wandered behind the trenches, after wandering around some more Sen finally found him.

Allen was located atop a watch tower where he overlooked the trenches below along with two other officers that didn't wear full military gear but only wore their suits and a vest, the only problem is however is that the tower is located in the middle of dozens of tents surrounding it, guarded by heavily armed soldiers with heavy armor.

well isn't this great, all I have to do is get to him, great... Sen thought to himself as he walked towards the tower only to be stopped by three soldiers half way through.

Soldier-1: halt! your not supposed to come here, get lost.

Sen was stopped dead in his tracks but the commotion caught the attention of Allen who looked down to see him being cornered by three soldiers, luckily Sen was saved by Allen who came down to get him.

Captain-Allen: don't worry, he's with me.

the first soldier turned around to face Allen to give him a salute.

Soldier-1: Captain Allen! apologies for the confusion.

the soldier lowered his arm while the other two saluted towards Allen.

Captain-Allen: at ease, your all dismissed.

the three soldiers saluted before walking off and disappearing, Allen then turned to face Sen as he gives him a smile.

Captain-Allen: I'm glad you decided to join us, follow me, we have work to do...

Allen walked towards the tower followed by Sen as they soon made their way to the top by walking up the hastily made stairs, once they arrived Sen saw the two officers standing next to the table in the middle.

Sergeant-Jessica: ah you must be the man Allen spoke of, welcome, and I thank you for joining us, my name's Sergeant Jessica, I'm a staff sergeant to be more precise.

the woman wearing shades and a vest with orange hair pony tail spoke as Allen along with Sen walked towards them and then stood next to the table while the other officer wearing a gas mask, goggles and a beany introduced himself.

Zeno: I really don't have any rank... so you can just call me Zeno.

Jessica and the other two looked silently at Sen as they waited for him for his response.

Captain-Allen: so? do you have a name?

Sen stayed silent while Jessica could only scratch her head in confusion.

Sergeant-Jessica: alright then... so your the silent type eh? fine, I could work with this.

Zeno: heh... I bet he's just shy.

Jessica chuckled as she leaned forward and placed both her hands on the table.

Sergeant-Jessica: real funny Zeno... well, since your here Allen must really trust you.

Captain-Allen: that's because he saved my life.

Jessica rolled her eyes as stands back up while Zeno crossed his arms.

Sergeant-Jessica: yeah yeah, you sure he's useful? he looks like a beggar.

Zeno scratched his head then moved his hand towards Sen.

Zeno: in that equipment? he's one deadly beggar.

Sergeant-Jessica: huh... you make a fair point, he does look deadly, in fact, he looks like a ghost.

Zeno: phantom's more like it.

Allen raised an eye brow as he looks at Sen before looking back at Zeno.

Captain-Allen: yeah... he does look like a phantom, at least a living one.

Zeno placed his hand on his chin while he wonders.

Zeno: you know what? since he cant, or will not speak then Phantom is the name for him.

Captain-Allen: yeah... that's if he'll even agree with that.

Allen gave it some thought as he looks at Sen while Zeno and Jessica waited for his decision.

Captain-Allen: you know what? screw it we're calling you Phantom.

phantom? I like that name, sound like what I look, it suits me... Sen thought to himself as multiple helicopters pass by the tower from above slightly shaking the tower as they passed by, then after four seconds Sen simply nods in approval.

Zeno: see? he likes it, I knew it was a good idea.

Sergeant-Jessica: yeah yeah, don't get ahead of yourself Zeno... now on to official business.

they all gathered around the table as they all looked at each other.

Sergeant-Jessica: we have a job for you Phantom... you up for the task?

Sen nods while Jessica responds by doing the same.

Sergeant-Jessica: alright, think of this as a mercenary job, I know that no one works for free so I prepared a little reward for ya once you finished your mission.

Jessica takes out a map from her pocket as she unfolds it on the table, once placed she points at a red marked location on the map while Sen looks at it before looking back at Jessica.

Sergeant-Jessica: I need you to gather food and supplies from the store north east of the base.

Jessica pulls out a knife from her back as she stabs the red mark on the map.

Sergeant-Jessica: I would have sent some back up with you but as you know we're a little short on hands right now, and Captain Allen here is in no shape to come with you.

Jessica crossed her arms as she smirks at Sen.

Sergeant-Jessica: rather, I'm pretty amazed that you survived this long all on your own, you must know some neat tricks on how to navigate through this hell hole, or you could have just fought your way through an undead horde.

Sen gripped his gun tighter as he prepared for a fight causing the other two to be on alert.

Zeno: woah, lets not get ugly here.

Sergeant-Jessica: oh calm down you two, I heard the gunshots, it was quite clear seeing and smelling the blood reeking off those unwashed rags and clothes of yours, it was quite obvious right from the start, its not like I'm blind.

Sen lessened his grip as he calmed down, but alert non the less.

Sergeant-Jessica: right... now that everything is clear and dandy how about you go on off and get to work, those supplies wont gather themselves you know? 

Sen sighs as he leaves the tower and walks down the stairs leaving Allen and the others alone.

Captain-Allen: you know that this is a bad idea right?

Jessica looks at Allen as she smiles at him.

Sergeant-Jessica: yeah, maybe... but I got a feeling that everything is going to go smoothly...

meanwhile a few minutes later Sen stands at the edge of the base to the east where a massive gate is located.

standing a few feet away from the gates Sen waits as the iron doors soon open up to reveal thousands of deformed corpses on the other side, all deformed to the point that there was no humanoid face to be recognized.

as the doors soon open wide Sen slowly walks through with his M16 in hand, the doors slowly closes behind him as he walks forward towards the blood filled streets filled with corpses.

now alone once more Sen walked deeper into the city, fog filled the streets covering any creature far away from sight, Sen gripped his gun tightly and prepared for the worst to come to him, silence was now his friend.

his silenced M16 would prove useful in killing wandering lone undead and monsters without alerting the others, although time was on his side, Sen would not wait for death, nor stay in the empty buildings only to be killed in his sleep.

Sen: damn, this fog sure is hard to see through...

Sen muttered as he looks around cautiously without making a single noise while walking.

there was complete silence, he could not even hear anything, only the ringing in his ears, minutes passed as he carefully navigated himself passed the streets of the city and towards his destination.

nothing stood in his way, there seems to be only cars and debris located in the streets and nothing else.

Sen: I have a bad feeling about this...

Sen said under his breath as he continued to walked deeper into the fog filled road.

after what seemed like an nearly endless loop Sen finally stumbled upon his destination, the three story tall mall stand tall and proud undamaged by the chaos that engulfed the city.

although it was left undamaged Sen could clearly tell that the inside tells something else.

Sen slowly walked towards the entrance of the mall, he pushed the double glass doors that blocked his way as he soon entered the mall, once inside Sen looks around to see a massive hole on the ground.

Sen: I knew it.

She turned to his left to see a massive corpse of one of those giant zombies, it looked old, so old Sen only sees a gray husk of the monster before him, drained of blood.

Sen stood silent but wary, shadows began to appear and move at rapid speeds, but Sen could tell they were no threat, his body felt no danger, unless he was the danger itself.

???: I harbor no Ill intent.

Sen slowly turned his head to see a black robed man standing behind him.

 the man's face was covered by cloth that wrapped around his head, only his purple and red eyes were seen glowing in the dark, his dark hood covered his head while his blade or rather sword stayed in its scabbard on the left waist.

black gloves and boots covered his feet and hands while a silver necklace that formed an eye hanged by his neck, the man was covered in black smoke, but he didn't mean any Ill will to the man in front of him.

Sen on the other hand had a tattered blood covered cloak, his body covered in armor and blood while his face and even his mask was shadowed by the hood that covered his head, only his hands and his weapon and armor was seen, the stench of blood on him reeked like death, compared to the smoke the unknown man had, he was the real danger.

Bishop: you may call me bishop, and as I said I harbor no Ill intent.

the hooded man slowly walked towards Sen, carefully he approached Sen, carefully trying not to antagonize him as he got closer, now two feet away he bowed to Sen lowering his upper body before standing straight.

Bishop: I assume you are here to take the supplies contained in this mall?

Sen nods while Bishop could only sigh.

Bishop: I see... then, if I may have a moment of your time please?

Sen nods in agreement while Bishop nods in responds as they walked towards the massive hole in the middle of the mall, there they stood at the edge, they both looked down before looking back at each other.

Bishop: unfortunately your supplies are stolen by those scientists, the ones in hazmat suits that knock out anyone they find and drag them into their laboratories for experimentation.

Sen stood silent, eager to listen to Bishop's story.

Bishop: ah, you like stories yes? then let me start on how I became this way...

Bishop moves his right hand with an open palm towards Sen as he starts his story.

Bishop: like the civilians of this city I was once a decent man, earning to live a life I envisioned, it was a peaceful time until the outbreak began a year ago.

a year ago!? that was way before I even arrived in this world! unless I slept for a year when I was half dead, Sen thought to himself as he shakes his head a little while looking down but soon looked back towards Bishop to continue listening to his story, Bishop sighs as he lowered his hand and continued.

Bishop: yes, that was a year ago, a foreigner like you would not have known, we were blocked off from the rest of the world... an efficient yet brutal tactic that the government used...

Bishop chuckled, never has he seen nor heard that his own country would abandon them for the sake of their careers, cowards all of them, unless it was the only choice they could make.

Bishop: this is an island nation, my country flourished through agriculture and food business, we relied on our own, we never needed any other nation for support... we were independent... for once in my life I thought that I would just die to the infected, but no, the government had other plans... not just for me no... but for all that survived.

Bishop gripped his hand into a fist, his body shaking due to anger, he wanted revenge, he wanted the ones that did him wrong to pay, and Sen would be the one help to him, but that remains to be seen.

 

 

 

1