Chapter 26: A platinum coin’s bet
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The atmosphere in the surrounding was tense. As the conditions proposed by Cassius were inhumane but everyone surrounding realizes that this was not a simple loan repayment but a grudge, A grudge that the overbearing young master of the Noble family has with that newbie adventurer Solis.

A grudge with a noble that they do not want to be part of so everyone surrounding Cassius and Nick’s party went back a couple of steps so as not to show they are siding with Solis in any case. Only Nick, Albus, and Merle were standing with Solis.

Solis saw this as she looked back and realize that her friends are with her, and seeing emotions in Nick’s eye Solis solidified her will and went up to Cassius.

Solis looked at Cassius and said, “I am willing to give the money to you and sign a lifetime enslavement contract with you”.

Hearing this Nick’s emotions were in turmoil as they began to jumble between confusion, rage, sadness, and guilt.

‘What to do? What to do? What can I do now? Ah! Why don’t I just run with Albus and Solis from here? I am sure this will solve everything. Right Albus? ’ Nick’s asked Albus as this was the only thing he can do as of now.

‘What will that change? He will just go to her family and then we need to go run around as fugitives. I heard in the town that fugitives are just slaves when they are caught. So calm down I am thinking about what to do Albus thought a bit and replied.

But this reply made Nick, even more, panicked instead as he saw Solis walking toward Cassius he was unsure of what to do. He looked toward Merle and she was also thinking while putting her head down and rubbing her forehead.

On the other side, Cassius's smirk was getting larger and larger but he immediately thought of something and said “You think you alone are that much? If you wanted to save your family from enslavement then with yourself at least being that beast with y-”

Just as Cassius was speaking with joy in anticipation of his moment to avenge his humiliation was just at the corner. He was interrupted again.

“HEY THERE, WHATCHU DOING? WITH SUCH A CROWD OVER THERE. HAS SOMEONE CAUGHT A DRAGON OR SOMETHING? IF IT IS LIKE THAT BOOK ME A PIECE OF MEAT.”

The voice was unknown to Cassius but he can understand that this was a voice of a man, and the owner of the voice is a powerful person.

He looked around to see who the owner of the voice is. Although the crowd was also looking to find the owner of the voice to respond to his looks the crowd surrounding them spread apart and Cassius saw a man coming towards him with a light brown cloak covering most of his body and face but Cassius can guess that this is the man who has interrupted him.

Cassius knew that this person was strong but he can’t lower his noble dignity like that “Who are you that has interrupted future lord of the Auwack barony? Cassius J Auwack. State your identity or face consequences of interrupting a noble’s judgment and I can assure you it won’t be light”

“THEN WAIT YOUNG LORD, LET ME COME TO YOU AFTER ALL I CAN’T SPEAK THAT LOUD SO YOU’LL HEAR ME FROM THAT FAR” replied the man with a monotonous tone.

As his voice reached everyone hears in the hall, they all realize that the man is just trolling Cassius.

Cassius also realized that he was being mocked but he could do nothing but get enraged over it as he knew that the man was powerful and sending his weak knights to catch him will just result in another humiliation for him.

In a couple of seconds, the man was in the guild warehouse and he came closer and asked “What were you saying again? I couldn’t hear you from that far”

Cassius fueled with anger could do nothing but clenched his fists ‘Just you wait, If your identity isn’t worth anything then I will not let you without any consequences

“I am asking what is your identity. And what gives you to right to interfere in a noble’s judgment against a commoner trying to cheat a noble of his money”

The man with a smile replied, “The answer to this question is simple. I am Chalinus Decmus, a simple earth mage. I was just passing through here and the commotion attracted me. So I thought why not take a round-up here”.

No matter how arrogant Cassius was he was no fool as a noble he had learned several lessons from his father one of the most important being ‘Learn as much as you can about every noble family in the kingdom and most importantly learn about the most relevant person from them in present’ and this name ‘CHALINUS DECMUS’ does ring a bell.

‘Ah yes, he is an earth mage from Count Decmus's family and is an earth mage of the 5th circle’

Remembering it Cassius started to sweat bullets but immediately thought ‘It is unusual for a mage and noble of such ranking to be here. It will be good for us if he were to be of good intentions with us. I shall try to coax him to curry his favor.

“Ah, I greet the youngest son of the Noble House Decmus and an infamous earth mage of the 5th circle.   Forgive me for not being able to recognize you, My sight must have been weak” said Cassius while bowing to the man who then with an annoyed face removed his hoodie.

While everyone might not have heard a sound of “Tch” from the Chalinus but Albus certainly did but he choose to see what events follow from here.

“No need for being that formal with me, I was just going from here but the crowd attracted me, So now that I am here can anyone tell me what is happening that young master is here to bring judgment?” asked Chalinus with a curious tone and with his expression he wouldn’t take no for an answer.

“About that.. the story is” Cassius answered first and then Solis chimed in and after hearing both arguments for a couple of minutes Chalinus nodded his head with looks of ‘I understand what you mean and then replied “I see, I understand your problems now let me solve your problems”

After saying this he removed a sheep skin paper from his pocket and showed it to them while saying “Well to tell you truth, I was here for an assignment to search for this plant called ‘Blue blooming herb’ in 2 weeks but I can issue that as a guild request for you and if you can find that for me I can give you the money you require as a reward. Of course, I will also pay for the guild’s commission for that, So what do you say huh?” to the Solis.

Hearing this Both Cassius and Solis were stunned.

Solis was in shock for a second but immediately realized that it was a great solution to her problem and she without any hesitation replied “Yes my lord, I am willing to do that quest. I will bring you that herb in 2 weeks for sure”.

Hearing this Cassius was in even more shock and he immediately responded with “My lord, that quest cannot be fulfilled with her meager ability, My knights will surely bring that for you and while I hesitate to say that but I feel obliged to tell you. What will happen if she did not come back at all and came back without herb? Won’t you and I will be at loss?”

Chalinus with a smile removed another thing from his bag and replied “Ah I have also thought for that, I shall bet a platinum coin on that so if she did not come back the platinum coin will be yours and if she came back without herb then the platinum coin along with Her as a lifetime slave will be yours. Now tell me won’t this condition solve your loan repayment whether she came back with herb or without herb or even if she did not come back at all you will still be in benefit”.

Hearing this Cassius went silent a gold coin might be a common thing for him as a noble but a platinum coin was as rare to him as a gold coin was to a commoner. The entire barony’s monthly profit barely came to around 2 gold coins and that was on a good month. So the deal was a great benefit to him while tempted by the coin he was about to take the deal but then he realized something and asked “why are you betting a platinum coin for such a commoner? Do you have any connection with her”

This question attracted everyone’s attention even more than a platinum coin.

0