Chapter 5 – When the Dark Comes to Light (2/6) [Mellissa Version]
130 12 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“I can’t believe I’m working with… you.”

 


 

The way Lana said that directed at me made me feel like I was some sort of virus she was avoiding. She squared up to me but with her being so short, I didn't feel threatened at all.

“Did you enjoy the cinnamon muffin?”

I grinned, causing her to get flustered.

“I hate cinnamon, thank you very much!”

At least we had that in common. Abigail walked over and held her little sister close to her breast.

“Lana, stop pestering the dark vessel. She’s going to help us get your friend back.”

The child’s cheeks were bloated as she turned away from me. Their followers stood behind their goddess as they circled us in the library.

“A few days ago, a team of my people went on a pilgrimage to the ancient ruins and the village nearby. 16 of them went first, and 4 of them, Caesar included, searched for them… We haven't heard back."

Jade jumped in.

“That’s the situation today, so our job is to go to the Cero Village and discover what happened to them.”

“The Cero Village?”

I asked. Abigail turned to me with a determined look.

"It's a small village west of here. They live on the land, but lately, they've been suffering from plagues. Our people were sent there to help them by treating their disease."

One of the followers added.

"It's just a common cold, but it's more severe for their small tribe. It was a simple pilgrimage, but with our members not coming back and the search team going missing too, we're beginning to worry."

“These aren’t just numbers; they are friends and family.”

Lana said as she clenched her fist. I could feel her fear for the people she cared for. I think it was her honest emotions showing that drove in how desperate this situation was.

“They are friends and family. Our people are worried about them so it’s imperative that we find them and bring them back home.” 

The “goddess” said as she crossed her arms and closed her eyes. I could clearly see the worry in her.

"Friends and family…."

20 friends and family have gone missing in only a few days... As someone who never actually had family in that kind of way, I don’t believe that I could truly connect with them in that way...

“I understand. I’ll do what I can to help.”

I said, coyly. Still feeling the detachment from the idea of... family.

“Good, thank you for your help.”

Abigail turned around.

“We leave at the top of the hour. Make sure to get all your gear for a few days.”

“Eh… we’re going to be out for days?”

I silently complained.

“Yeah, did you have other obligations, Feodora?”

The knight asked. All I could do was shrug.

I never made any plans so there were no problems.

Abigail and her group exited the library, leaving Jade and me alone again.

"Remember, don't let her get into your mind. Our goal is to find the culprit, and that's it. Their goal is to save their friends… don't get things twisted."

“Isn’t that a little cruel?”

She shook her head.

“No, it’s reality. That doesn’t mean I won’t help those in need, but Abigail's followers aren't the priority."

I watched as Jade exited the library. There I knew the drive she had to find the answers she needed. It would be likely that I'd face the culprit of this case. So, I closed my eyes and felt the destructive shadow crafts within me.

"The sooner this is over…, the sooner I can go back to my simple life…"

With that determination sending me forward, I exited the library too. When I got outside, everyone was packing up. They were bringing supplies on their backs. There had to be around 12 people of all ages, likely friends and families of those who went missing.

“Lana, we’re going to find Gloria, alright?”

A kid in the crowd of onlookers petted Lana on the back. The barklight seemed to be tearing up as I walked over.

“Eh?! What do you want?”

On the defensive, Lana barked like a dog.

“Is one of your friends missing, Lana?”

She crossed her arms and turned away from me. Instead of answering me, her friend took the initiative.

"Yeah, her name is Gloria. She played with Lana and was on the pilgrimage the other day. Lana is worried about her."

“Shut up, Precis.”

Just as Abigail said, these aren't just numbers but friends and family. I bent down and got to my knees. I wasn't good with kids because of my bullying from the past, but anyone could see that they needed this encouragement.

"Don't worry, if anyone can find them, it would be Jade."

The girl named Precis hopped in excitement.

"I heard Jade was powerful. She and our goddess are working together; nothing can stop them! They’re going to find everyone and bring them back safely!”

The innocence in her words made me smile. However, Lana was still pouting, likely trying to appear tough around me. I still wasn’t sure why she attempted to take my weapon that day, but she seemed to still hold firm that I was the one at fault in that situation.

“Hmmph!”

Lana pushed out before running to her older sister. I watched as they met, held each other’s hand, and continued chatting away with her other followers.

"I wouldn't worry about Lana…."

Precis said as we both watched her friend from afar.

“She’s just trying to do everything for her older sister. She lacks the same powers as her… and feels a bit inferior to her.”

Precis said as we watched the two of them.

“I see.”

"So, she does anything to make her happy. If something happened between you two… maybe she was trying to help her sister, and you got in the way per se."

I thought more about that day. She said that her sister was looking for artifacts of the dark arts. Could it be that she saw my weapon as the perfect gift for Abigail? But that would also beg the question…

Why is her sister looking for artifacts of the dark arts in the first place?

“Feodora.”

Abigail approached with her arms crossed. Her wings flapped as she asked…

"Would you mind helping my group as they pack goods and supplies? An extra pair of hands would be appreciated.”

“Oh, sure.”

I rushed over and did as I was asked. There were tents, food, survival kits, and the like scattered about.

“So, how long will we be gone?”

I asked one of the followers.

“Around 3 days. It takes a day to get to the Cero Village. We plan to search around for a full day and head back, hopefully with everyone, on the last day.”

I tied a few bags to the carts.

"Hopefully, we can find them."

I whispered.

The woman nodded as she threw another bag on the cart. Suddenly, it just occurred to me… that sweet scent clouded my mind.

"Wait a minute…."

I turned to see Abigail Pasco. We caught eyes with one another, and skillfully, she blew a kiss my way.

"She's good…."

It was scary… how fast she made me fall under her command. Jade warned me, and I should have been on guard around her. This established that next time… she wouldn't get me so quickly.

“Before we leave, Jade, Feodora, I need to address my people.”

The “goddess” said before walking to the middle of the steps. We followed behind her, under the torii gates. People watched from houses and buildings as she raised her hands. The aura she produced was powerful. Jade crossed her arms and watched with apprehension.

 

 

"People of the Barons, today a pain has fallen on our people. However, do not fret, for my family and I will do all that is in our power to make sure your loved ones return. So please, follow the guides of our group. Fellowship with your loved ones who remain here and pray for the safekeeping of the brave ones who are venturing out to find them."

Abigail closed her eyes and lowered her hands.

“It is faith, the way we find our answers. Because of faith, we seek the truth."

Everyone began clapping as she turned away. Cries of joy and happiness spread around the group as we all made our way down the street. It was like a mini-parade as people tossed flowers, likely a thank you to their “goddess.”

“Be safe, Lana!”

A few kids cried out. All this attention was getting to me, so I began hiding behind Jade. She was as tall as a tree anyway, and it would be best for me to stay in the shadows.

“Are you getting nervous?”

Jade asked, looking at me.

“Not... nervous… just so many people around.”

“Ah... that’s right… you’re a hermit.”

“I’m not a hermit.”

She smirked. Clearly, she was teasing me, which was out of character in my eyes for Jade. But as I thought about it, maybe I've only seen one side of the fearless knight, Jade? Could it be that… she might be looking forward to this in a way?

“Opal Jade.”

Abigail called out as she approached her. They continued walking side by side as we made our way to the gates.

“What is it, Abigail?”

She nudged her shoulder on the knight and gave her a wonderful smile.

"I look forward to seeing what the soon-to-be head of the Knight Order can do."

"Don't test me…."

Interestingly enough, Jade gave her a vicious smirk of her own. I guess today would be the time to show her true strength in front of the entire Baron group… well, a portion of them.

“Have a safe trip, Jade!”

A group of knights met us at the gates. It went to show me that Jade has her subordinates as well. It felt like going through two different parades, and the attention was causing my stomach to swirl.

"Stay vigilant. I'll be back soon."

Not a long speech but one to get the masses going.

The field was wide, but we had a clear path to stay on. The place we were heading was to the far north in the mountains. There was a small village there and beside it was a ruin from time and time ago. They believe that the team may have found themselves trapped there.

We marched along for around a few minutes before a follower tapped me on the back.

“Hm?”

“You’re… Feodora, right?”

"Yes, I am…."

“You have someone here to see you off. It’s the Cafree daughter.”

My heart sank to my stomach as I turned towards the Radiant City. There at the gate was the kindest human and cruelest demon.

I faced Mellissa as she put her hands behind her back. The bright morning glow showed me her innocence. But it also reminded me of the second side of her, battling inside. The sweet and innocent human side was tainted with a devil that no one could control. The demon that would devour anything. I wondered if by approaching her I was indirectly making things harder on her. The guilt of something I couldn’t control caused me to look away shamefully.

“I wanted to visit you yesterday, but Jade said that you needed to rest.”

 

 

She looked at the knight as she spun her hair in her fingers. Jade gave her a wave before she turned back to me.

“I-I didn’t know you were leaving for a trip though Feodora. One of the knights mentioned it, and when I heard… I rushed over here to see you off!”

Mellissa looked away as if something was on her mind.

“Did you want something from me, Mellissa?”

Her cheeks went red as she brushed her bangs.

“M-My mom and dad wanted to invite you over someday. T-They have never met a dark vessel and wanted to get to know you better too. W-Would it be too much of a trouble for me to invite you for dinner?”

I’ve… never been invited to anything before this. My chest twisted, and I knew if I kept this up I’d… be delaying the inevitable.

“You… want me to come to dinner?”

I asked.

“Yes, silly.”

She nodded while giving me such a tender smile. The pain coming from her voice a few days ago was a distant memory as I admired her. But as a dark vessel, someone who doesn’t belong in this world… just me being around here was hurting her.

“I see…”

It’s too bad that I needed to say it to this side of her. The side that was tender and kind. The one that never hurt me. But if I was right, her demon side could see through her eyes. So, the perfect time to chat with both of them was when the kindest human was out.

“Mellissa…”

“Y-Yes, Feodora?!”

She beamed at me… like she always had. In the brief time that I’ve known her, all she had been was kind to me, and I felt like dirt as I spoke my feelings.

“I’m a very solitary person. I don’t like getting involved in all of this. The bombings, Jade’s missing person cases… it’s all foreign to someone like me. Like I mentioned before I grew up in a forest, alone. I…”

I swallowed.

“You’re the nicest person I’ve met since I’ve come to the Radiant City, and I thank you for your generosity, Mellissa.”

I sighed as that ritual came back to me. Everything Polechenote mentioned about the pain that I was causing her. It all added up… and it went back to Maxwell’s teaching. Stay alone, stay in the shadows. I am not a part of this world, I’m just forced to exist in it…

I… do cause pain for others. And the kindest person I’ve met since I arrived here… was no different.

“But I like being alone, away from people. And because of that Mellissa Ann Cafree…”

 

I shifted my body, put my arms to my side, and gazed softly into her tender eyes.

“I don’t want to get involved with you and your other side, Mellissa. I’m sorry but… I think it would be best if we see less of each other.”

 

 

I hated the words I was saying because… in the end I wanted to know more about her. But Polechenote’s words were sharp, and they buried themselves into my soul. I knew I would be putting my life in danger for that was going directly against Maxwell’s teachings.

I had to live not just for me… but for my father Maxwell too.

That beam on her face faded… like a dark shadow cast over her. She stood there with her mouth opened slightly, trying to register what I was saying. At least, it appeared that way.

“Oh… my other side did something, didn’t she?”

 

 

I shook my head.

“No, it’s not that… this is. It’s something… else.”

Her eyes lowered and she put her finger to her lip.

“O-Of course. Jade told me you were a hermit. And I’ve been known to be a bit pushy. And I’m sure my other side is a little hard to deal with and…“

She scratched her cheek. Her excuses were growing smaller and meeker by the sentence. By the end, her voice was a desperate whisper. When she raised her head from looking away from me in shame she admitted.

“I just wanted to get to know you better. This… always happens when I like someone...”

Coldly, she whispered.

“Why… does this always happen to me?”

Those bitter words escaped her lips as she backed up, regained her composure, and smiled… saving face for the crowd around us.

“E-Excuse me. I’ll be going now. H-Have a good day. Bye bye, everyone!”

She forced a smile and marched away with her head held high. Occasionally she would wave at the soldiers and people nearby with that wonderful smile. But it was obvious…

That Mellissa was trying her best not to break down and cry.

“Mellissa...”

I never experienced someone wanting to be my friend. Mellissa was the first and probably last person who’d ever treat me so kindly.

(“This is the life you wanted me to have, isn’t it Maxwell?”)

I asked bitterly in my head. His teachings helped me live so far, and going against them would be selfish…

But everything in me wanted to understand more about the kindest human and what made that devil erupt inside her. But it would have been selfish of me to pursue that.

 

“I’m ready to go…”

I said to the group as I took the lead. Nobody said a word as we all made our way towards the Cero Village.

 

5