regret – Chapter 22
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I lost myself in the corridors. The only sign of life were the maids who scowled as I perused past them. Whether they disliked me for some unknown reason or they disliked their job I didn’t know. I didn’t care enough to ask them.

Every door I passed contained the same excess I experienced in my room. Gold was scattered out so casually it felt as if gold cost no more than the cheapest of lumber. Eventually, I came across a cellar door that I could only assume was either a dungeon or a wine cellar. It was made of a dull heavy iron and stuck out from the bright gold that was scattered around the room.

I decided to unlatch the trap door and walk down into the cold room beneath the palace’s surface. The room was carved into stone, lacking any of the opulence that could be seen in the rooms above.

The dimly lit torches suggested that this bland room was used. As I walked down the corridor I noticed empty cells, many of which had cobwebs on them. It was clear that the palace rarely had anyone down here to clean the dungeons. I continued walking down the corridor full of empty cells, peering into each one to find signs of life.

I shuffled further and further down the dimly lit corridor. “There must be people here,” I thought. Why else would the palace keep the torches burning and the walls fairly clean?

Eventually, I spotted a hunched figure in the back of one of the cells. It was difficult to tell what he looked like. His dark hood blended into the shadows that danced on the back wall of the cell, brought to life by the dim torch, lit on the opposite side of the room.

“Who are you?” I asked.

The person sitting in the back of the cell mumbled something under his breath. I didn’t catch what he said.

“If you tell me, I might let you out?” I said.
The man laying down in the cell chuckled.

“Alright, I’m Han. Why are you so nosy? Who let you down here?”

“I got caught up in some feud. I want to know if you’d heard of anyone named Crom.”

“Hmm. There was a man named that came through with that name months ago. From what I heard he was executed just days after arriving.”

I just nodded solemnly. After I heard the Duke had no idea who or where Crom was, I assumed maybe the king had found him. The mages were desperately looking for him after all. It was enough closure for me.

I kept my end of the bargain, sticking my hand onto the cell and calling forth heat. The iron bar melted as I ran my hand down the metal shaft. I kept doing this until I had created an opening where the figure in the cell could easily fit through.

Jared

I watched in horror as a flurry of magic slammed into my army. Sparks from lightning were blinding, incinerating troops below. The only indication of life were the cacophony of screams that rang out from my troops.

It was all downhill after Cloud had fallen. Sarah leaped into the battle with her soldiers but she didn’t have the same offensive magic that Cloud had. Rayan lacked any offensive ability so it was planned that he would avoid the battle. It wouldn’t be wise to risk his death. I’d sent a scout to check on him. The scout had recorded he was missing.

I was furious when I found out, but mostly I felt regret. I was a noble with deep pockets. I could have lived a long life of comfort. It was my birthright after all. I knew that wasn’t how it was going to end, not when I watched my troops be torn to shreds in front of me.

“I have prepared the horses, lord. We should leave quickly if we want any chance of getting out of this mess alive.”

I nodded. It wouldn’t be easy hiding from the King’s mages. I shuddered as I remember the numerous stories the Duke had told me of the mages efficiently hunting down and torturing rogue nobles and escaped prisoners. They took their job seriously. It would have been easy if Rayan hadn’t already deserted. He was a prodigy tracker that I suspected even the mages couldn't find. If I ever found him, I’d slit his throat.

Now wasn’t the time to think about him. It was time to leave. I threw myself onto the back of the horse and began the journey away from this hell-hole.

Erik
I scurried up the dungeon stairs and reentered the labyrinth of decadent hallways that hid the fake King and his many royal relatives. I rushed down the corridors trying to locate the room that Nick had showed me. It was difficult to retrace my steps and I was forced to ask some of the maids I’d seen on how to get back to my room. Most would scowl disapprovingly before telling me to turn down this hall or go through that door.

I opened the door to my room. Inside Nick and two other were standing.

“Ah, Erik you returned. I brought some people I need to introduce you to.”

I looked over at the figures that stood with Nick. One was familiar, he was the same mage that hunted Crom and I as we escaped from Lord Cresten. The other I had never seen before.

“This is Devik and Gorn they’ll be working with you while you learn the basics of what we’re going to have you do.”

Gorn, the mage I knew, stared at me with his solid black eyes. I could tell he recognized me.

“You seem familiar. Have we met?” Gorn asked.
“You passed by a village I was from, so you probably noticed me in the crowd,” I stated. I hoped the lie would be convincing enough to stop Gorn from looking into my past.

“That’s possible,” said Gorn but his tone indicated he wasn’t convinced.

“Take today off. We’ll start tomorrow.”

“Ok. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said.

I watched as the mages casually made their way out of my room. I sat on the ground in panic. I knew if I stayed he’d eventually recognize me or I’d let something slip that would give away who I was whether that be Crom’s friend or a member of the Duke’s army.

As I sat there, I realized it was time to leave. For so long I was caught up in trying to find out what happened to Crom that I became embroiled in this pointless war. Only bad things would happen once I was outed.

I picked myself up and headed into the gilded hallways once more. I had a feeling the nexus was close to the palace.

ADVERTISEMENT

1