Season’s Solution
264 6 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Earliest of Mornings, where the Sun barely peaks over the Horizon. Wonderful Time to contemplate. 

 

Over the last three Months… Since we moved into this Home, as it got colder outside… The inside did too.
Thinking that it was just me forgetting to start the Radiators, I turned them on and increased their Level. 

 

Days passed and nothing has changed… The Sisters still use two Blankets during the Nights - During the Day, they wear a Tank Top and a Shirt underneath their Hoodies… While I calmly sit around in a T-shirt and Pants.

Maybe there’s something wrong with the Radiators… Maybe I didn’t let work long enough?

 

Throughout the last Month, September, it got worse.
As we woke up, we could see our breaths. With cold stretching far and beyond my expectations… Some Electronics in the Kitchen malfunctioned or misreported.
Up until today… I can’t find another realistic source of it all except, the Insulation.

 

I don’t know much about this House’s Construction but from the looks of it… it isn’t looking good. 

 

Sir, shouldn’t you wake the young Misses?

As I rest against the Bed’s Frame, in the view of my Wife, I turn to look at her.
Let her rest more, she deserves it. After all, she has to care for Lena and me the entire Day. | I highly doubt it’s a burden to her, Sir. It’s probably a pleasure for her.

 

Gradually I stand up, walking onto the Balcony and watching the Town wake up.
These… other Houses look… Girthier… | Sir? | As if… they have an extra Wall - a layer even. | Please do keep in mind that most of what you see is constructed during the Last Five Years. | How do you know?

 

Your Grandmother spoke about it, during her last Visit recently. | I didn’t catch that… | She noticed your Mind’s absence, Sir. Yet she disregarded it - in a good way! | That’s my Grandma…. Kind and caring. Much like my Mother.

 

Behind me, the Bed Frame creaks. Gently, I return inside. The small change in Temperature feels nice on my Body.

 

Katya - Good Morning, Dan~. | She rubs her Eyes, mumbling her words.
- Morning, Katya. How did you sleep? | I sit down beside her.
Silent, she stares at me.
- What’s wrong? | I tilt my head. 

 

Katya - You still look tired… Pale even.
- I’m sorry…
Katya - What for, silly? | She smiles a little.
- Did I make you worry?
Katya - As your Wife, I do have to look out for your health. Sometimes.
- Got me there…

 

My Vision switches to the Ground, staring into it.
Katya - Dan… I spoke to your Grandmother yesterday, on the Phone. She told me about our Home. | Excellent.
- And…?
Katya - The Insulation… it’s quite bad...
- How bad?

Katya - It is insufficient for anything other than the lightest of Winters.
- Thought so. | My Eyes close and I let out a sigh.
My Wife grabs my left Hand, holding it between hers.

 

Katya - We’re going to be fine, Dan. I know you’ll find a solution to any Problem we have. | Heard it, Raven? | Sure did, Sir. It’s hard to miss this… truly Angelic Tone telling you the Truth of the Situation.

 

Our Door slowly opens, a curious pair of Eyes peaks in before opening the Door completely. 

Lena - Hey, Guys!
Katya - Good Morning, Lena!
- Morning. Slept well?
Lena - I had to put another Blanket on me then it was super comfy~! | I’m thankful that both of them are happy. It’s all that matters.

 

Katya - Lena - dear, could you make the Coffee today? When we come down, we’ll make Breakfast. Okay?
Lena - On it! | My little Sister shoots off.

 

Sigh… It’s been rough lately…

From the Day my Wife showed me her positive Pregnancy Test, I patiently waited for her Stomach to grow, letting us know that our Baby is healthy and safe.
Many Weeks ago, I realized that… We might not have a Baby just yet. Katya’s Belly wasn’t growing and nor did any obvious Signs of Pregnancy appear. 

 

I was anxious about reality - didn’t want it to happen - I never gave up hope until… Katya told me herself that she wasn’t pregnant.
Katya - Dan~, we can visit the Doctor, you know? | She can read my Mind like an open Book.
- I believe you! There’s no need for that.
Katya - Of course, you do. Just to be on the safe Side, what do you say?
- I-If you know a Doctor and trust her… we’ll go.
Katya - Otherwise not. I understand. | My Wife gets close, leaning herself against me.

 

I lay my Arm around her, pressing my Head onto hers and holding her Hand.
Katya - You know~... We’re still - in a way - Freshly married. Don’t you think we’d skip a whole lot of Preparations and Time if we had a Baby now?
- Now that you say it… It’s quite obvious that we would end up making a mistake or… being unprepared for something. Maybe… Life is right in this case...

 

Katya - Let’s not give it too much credit. Fate has her Hand in this as well, don’t forget~.
- Most likely… Yeah.
Katya - Shall we go eat? I already smell the Coffee. | Katya looks up at me, smiling warmly.

My Arm squeezes her against my Torso and promptly let’s go.
- Let’s go.

 

Katya shoots up from the Bed and twitches her Head - signalling me to follow her. 

 

In the Kitchen, I feel the effects of the gradually growing Cold outside. The small radiant breeze the Walls emit, the Sisters don’t seem to notice.
Katya - Cereal? | Katya’s Vision alternates between Lena and me.
Lena - I was thinking… Pancakes.
Katya - Excellent! Dan. Sit. | Not a chance I can say no to any of their Wishes.

 

My Wife creates the mixture needed for Lena’s desired Breakfast as I sit and admire my Family.
This is Heaven on Earth, Raven. I can’t say it enough. | I might understand the meaning of your Words, but… Not the feelings. | That’s all you, buddy.

 

Katya - Lena, what do you want on yours?
Lena - Nothing. I want to eat them like that.
Katya - Alright~... Here they are~! | Eyes filled with joy, Lena hungrily stares at her Breakfast. Why doesn’t she eat?

 

Katya - Here’s yours, Dan. Now… to mine. | As she spins back to the Counter, I slowly move the Plate over to her seat.
Kind of you, Sir. | Nothing worthy of mention, Raven.
Lena - Nii-san, I need more Puppy Food. They eat quite a bit lately… | Can they put on Fat? | They can, Sir. But it’s an instinct, even with the Blankets given to them by Miss Lena. 

 

- We’ll buy some Today. Promised.
Lena - Thanks!
As the Pan gradually sizzles, Katya takes her seat opposite Lena to my right.

 

Katya - Maybe we can squeeze in some Groceries, we need some items that we can’t find in Town.
- Before we leave the City?
Katya - I’ll keep a few Bags f---Vrrrr! Vrrr! Vrrrrrr! | Katya’s Phone rings in her Pocket.

 

Katya - Da, Mama? | That’s all the Russian I can understand… Lena’s sharply fixated on her Nee-sans Call.

Katya - Dan, here. | Oh great… 


- Hello?
Woman - Dan, it’s Lina. Mind passing by my Office on your Shopping Trip?
- We can make a stop, sure. | I rather not ask the Reason for it.
Lina - Take care, of them and yourself. | About the latter… Eh… I’ll have to see.

 

I hand the Phone back to Katya and they continue talking.

Lena - Dan, what about my Puppies?
- Raven will be here to watch over them.
Lena - Oh! His… Pa...Pansar… I can’t say it…
- Ehehehe, it’s not an easy language. If you keep trying to say it, you will.
Lena - I’ll keep trying.

 

My Wife lays down her Phone and sighs.
- What did she say?
Katya - Nothing much, she just wants to speak to us. About what, no Idea. 


- Perhaps… Oma told our Mothers about the Home. Wouldn’t surprise me, her caring Nature doesn’t know harm. 

Lena - Isn’t that good? | My little Sister says with a curious look on her Face.
- It is, no doubt.
Katya - We’re not saying it is bad, it’s good that she told our Parents. They can help, if we need it.
Lena - I see now…

Guessing we’re going after Breakfast. Our Shopping Trip might be cut short if we are to stop at the Kreznov Tower.

 

 

Dressed up, I wait for the Girls outside the Home. The Car is already warming up, ready for their Presence.

 

Minutes Pass, the Sisters come out dressed in similar Clothes but different Colours. Katya’s choice is Dark Gray Jeans and a White Hoodie. Lena’s choice is Dark Bue Jeans and a Dark Gray Hoodie.
- Looking good, Ladies.
Lena - Thanks!
Katya - I’ll buy you some Clothes soon.
- What? Aren’t my Gray Clothes okay?

Katya - They suit you, Dan. But don’t you want variety?
- Not really…
Katya - I’ll buy you some regardless.
- I’ll accept the Gift. Shall we depart?

 

Hastily they enter the Car and relax thanks to the cosy temperature inside. Joining them in the Driver’s Seat, I carefully drive through the Town.

 

On the Road, I spot fewer Cars than usual. Still early Morning… 

 

Lena - Dan, can Raven feed my Puppies, please?
- You can ask him yourself.

 

Raven - Greetings, Misses.
Katya - Hey, Raven.
Lena - Raven, can you feed them, please?
Raven - On it, Miss Lena. Shall I also pour them fresh Water?
Lena - Yes, please!
Raven - Will do.
Well done, Buddy. This Car is convenient, even if it is just for the ability for you to speak to them. 

 

It could do and deliver way more, were it not for this Engine and other Features. | Can’t have everything in Life. 

 

As Tokyo rages strong on the Horizon, we spot the Towers of our Families. It’s very obvious that the Engineers who designed and built them didn’t waste a single centimetre on useless Features.

 

Lena - We won’t stay long, right?
Katya - No - no, we still have places to be, Lena.
Lena - We’ll buy Puppy Food, right?
- A few Sacks, yeah.

Lena - Sacks?!
- Yeah… Don’t you want that?
Katya - You only bought her Bags, until now.
- My Bad, Lena… I thought I did buy Sacks until now…

 

Lena - That’s okay… Uhm… Thanks, Dan.
- No need for that. Also, make a list of other Items or Things you need. We won’t go shopping again too soon, after this one.

Entering Tokyo’s bustling Streets, Residents cover the Sidewalks, Cars are few to be seen still.
Did the Gas prices skyrocket? | No, Sir. I believe the sudden drop in temperature has some People work from Home. | Ah, what luxury for them. | We can do that too, you know? | In a way, we can. Don’t think we’ll need to do that anytime soon.

 

Approaching the Kreznov Tower, I find a parking spot close by and we get out slowly.

Into the windy Outside, I lock the Car and we continue inside the Tower. The Lady at the Desk quickly points us towards the Elevator. Without saying a word. 

 

Once inside, Lena presses the Button and we start going up.
Katya - You got any… Pantsar… Eh…
- Panzermenschen. With a, Z. Not a, ts.
Katya - I see… It’s not that hard to say then… Pansarmensen.
- Nope.
Katya - Ugh! Fine! You win. For now! | Katya pouts at me. Lena enjoys the moment. 

 

The Elevator opens and a blast of Warmth rushes into the Elevator.
Lina patiently waits at her Desk, my Mother is also here.
Katya & Lena - Mama! | There they go.
Lina - Hello, you two! 

 

My Mother walks up to me, anxiously holding back a Motherly Hug. I take the initiative and hug her first.
- Missed you.
Akari - My dear Boy~... | It’s been… it’s been… a while since I felt this specific warmth during the Cold Season.

Lina - Akari, should I explain?
Akari - If you want to. Go on. | My Mother lets go of me and turns to face Lina.

Lina - Dan, your Grandmother called Today, sharing with us what she shared with Katya.
Akari - Oma didn’t mean to hide it from you, she didn’t think it’d be a needed concern.
- Calm down. I didn’t expect it either, even though I knew about this Year’s Winter.

 

Lina - In this case, we can move to the next Matter at Hand.
- That’d be?
Lina - I want to send my Husband to get the Materials needed for proper Insulation.
- No need. I want to do it myself.
Lina - That’s completely fine. But let us provide Aid.
- Thanks, but I’ll have to kindly refuse.
Lina - Dan?

 

- I have bigger Plans than just adding proper Insulation to our House. But for that, I need Summer to come back.
Akari - What are those Plans? | What’s the best way I can explain them…?

- Lina do you have a Projector or TV here?
Lina - I have both, why do you need either?
- Please let me use the TV.
Turning to her Desk, she grabs a Remote and points it at the Wall behind her Desk. 

 

Two large Pieces of the Wall sink in and move aside, revealing the massive TV.
- Thanks. | Raven, if you will. | Sir.

Gradually, I walk up to it and wait for Raven to switch to a Panzermenschen’s View.
Lina - What is…
Akari - That’s your House… Are these Pictures? | The Video Feed shows the Backside View of our Home.
- This… Is the View of one of my Panzermenschen - The big Machines that walk around your Offices. 

 

Lina - We know what they are. But why do you show us this View?
- So you understand my Plans. | Move into the Garden and look at the back Wall of the House.
Obeying my Words, the Machine executes them perfectly.

 

- This Wall will be moved back a few meters, giving the Kitchen needed Space for Katya’s convenience. The Rooms above… | The Panzermensch looks at Lena’s Room. | These will be rearranged, I’ll also move Bedrooms to create a spacious Living Room upstairs.

I look at my Family and the Mothers, the Sisters are in front of the Mothers - as if they’re watching a Movie.

Akari - What about the Water, Heat and Energy needed?
- I’ll do it all myself. That’s why I have the Machines to help if need be.
Lina - What about the Layout?
- Not definitive. I’ll need the Sister’s Approval, Opinion and final Thoughts on everything before proceeding with building it. 

 

Lina - Very Impressive, Dan. I must say. | Lina nods her Head lightly.
Katya - What about the Baths?
- They’re still unused space in the Plan, we’ll put it to use. As a Family.
Lena - You’re the best… Dan… | Lena stares into the TV in surprise.
- Ehehe… Thanks. 

 

Akari - That’s more like it, Dan. Now we can put this worry at ease. | Mother looks at Lina, they exchange confident looks.
- Now, thanks for the TV, Lina. I’ll retract my Access to it. | I walk up to them.

 

Lina - How can you access my Belongings this easily?
The, why? For your Safety. The, how? I created all the Apps I use. Nothing is of foreign or unknown origin when I’m arround.
Lina - Well spoken. 

Katya - Mama, can we go? We still got stuff to do.
Lena - I have to go to the Toilet First!
Katya - Heh, go on. | Lena runs past me into the Door behind Lina’s Desk. Watch over her, maintain her privacy though. | Understood. 

 

Lina - You three can go. Dan, I’d like to ask you something.
- Hm?
Lina - How much… will it cost me to… Say… Own a few of your Machines? | I didn’t give her any during Summer, I see… 

 

- Nothing. It’s on me---Us! It’s on us.
Lina - In that case… | Nice Smug, Lina | I’ll want thirty of them.
- For your entire Tower?
Lina - Yeah. Too much?
- Too little. I’ll give you forthy.
Lina - Heh… Then someone say Kind Men don’t exist anymore.

- Actually, they mostly don’t. They’re a few… Kind Souls out there still. But even they are corrupted on some level. Nothing is pure in this World anymore.
Lina - … Shame. 

 

Lena - I’m back!
Akari - Lena, how are your Puppies?
Lena - They’re probably tucket in their Blanket.
Akari - That’s good. I hope, Dan is also caring for them? | Don’t grin at me like that, Mother!

 

Lena - He is. He promised me a few Sacks of Puppy Food.
Akari - Really~...? That’s nice of him. | Please stop grinning like that, Mom. It’s scaring me.

 

Katya - We’ll be going then. Dan, please send the Machines over here, please.
- Speaking of which. They’re here.

 

From the Door connecting the Kreznov to the Natsumi Tower, emerge the Panzermenschen. The copies of myself - so to speak.
You’re not a machine, Sir. | Of course not. Just meant to be… cool.

The Panzermenschen align themselves into two 2-Machine Rows.

 

Lina - Heaven Above…
- This is the Batch from Summer, meaning it’s the Model equipped with 23mm Guns. | I start walking around in front of the Machines - as if I’m advertising something.
Lina - So… Those are my Guns?
- Yup. You’re getting them back basically.

 

The Kreznov Mother takes a few steps forward, approaching the Machines. 

 

Her reaction is as expected. Shocked at the reality of Things. Much like me...
Lina - I can’t…
Lena - Mama...?
Lina - I’m fine, Lena. Just… Ohh… | Help her sit down. 

From the first Line a Panzermensch slowly moves, trying to assist Lina in her Shock. 

 

Akari - Lina, will you be alright?
Lina - Y-Yes… I just need a minute… | With the Machine’s help, she sits down at her Desk. Staring at the Ceiling.

 

Katya - Mama, are you sure you’re okay?
Lina - Yes, absolutely. I’m merely shocked by your Husband’s readiness to help his Family. | I must admit, she doesn’t look too good. 


Akari - Ah! Lina, you forgot to drink Water again! | Mother rushes to hand her a Glass of Water from her Desk.
Lina - Thanks, Akari.

Lena - Water? | My little Sister looks at her Mother. Katya close behind her.
- I’ll send them through the Tower, they will be hidden from anything and everyone.

Lina - Thank you, Dan… 

 

Ten of you spread out in the Office, the rest… Throughout the Tower. Leave not spot un-surpervised.
>/ Command - Accepted. Executing.
Ohh… I miss the German UI…  | Sir, you told me to change it. | I know, but still! | In that case, you can change it yourself from now on - I made that possible. | Thanks a bunch, buddy. | Just doing my Job, Sir.

 

Katya - We have to go now. Talk to you soon, Mama.
Lena - Bye Mama! Aunt Akari!
Akari - Take care, you three
We enter the Elevator and I spot Lina staring sinisterly at me.
Lina - Watch over them, Dan.
- As if I’d do otherwise.

 

Lena happily presses the Elevator and we head down.
Katya - Mama needs to be careful.
Lena - Should we call her, as a reminder to drink Water? | Lena looks up at her Nee-san.
Katya - Splendid Idea. Let’s do that a few Times.
Lena - She’ll remember afterwards, right?
Katya - Most likely.

 

Bottom Floor - The Sisters take the lead and with hasty steps move back to the Car.
The Lady at the Desk, when one enters the Tower has left for Today.

 

In the Car, Katya starts typing on her Phone. Lena is - much like me - waiting to see what Katya’s doing.
Katya - Here. Can you drive us here?
- Is this a Mall?
Katya - It’s a Shopping Center. The Biggest - I think - In Tokyo when it comes to Anything except Fashion.
- Let’s go there. Lena, don’t worry. We’ll find Puppy Food and buy a few Sacks - as promised.
Lena - I know that, Onii-chan. 

 

I release the Break and gradually drive off.

Sir… What about a Solution to our Problem? | We’ll create one soon, first come the Girls. | Obviously, they do, Sir.

Welcome all of you to the second Entry in my Original Series, Gray Ghost. I sincerely hope you enjoy it.
Very happy to be back! It's been a few Months without Action, but that changes now.

I have a Discord Server and a Twitter Account!

Thank you very much for reading!

3