Chapter 3: A Tiger’s Heart & Chicken Noodle Soup
73 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calmly, Qiao Lu opened his eyes, this sentence hanging hazily at the back of his mind. However, when he opened his eyes, he didn’t see the familiar dull white roof, and instead saw one that was dimly lit by the warm, soft light of a lamp. The delicate and cozy aroma of congee wafting gently in the air.

Qiao Lu was slightly confused by this scent until he heard the quiet and slow thuds of someone knocking on the door. After a moment of not hearing any response, the door was finally opened. With it, came the refreshing scent of congee that blended pleasantly with the warm and tender atmosphere. 

Qiao Lu watched on silently as the other approached him while carrying a tray. On it was a bowl of freshly made congee and a cup of warm milk. Seeing this, Qiao Lu’s nose felt a bit sour, and his heart a bit tender. 

“Ah, you’re awake. I thought you would be starving from sleeping all day so I made you some food. It’s a bit late, so try to sleep after you finish eating.” He said gently, his tone warm and kind.

Qiao Lu hesitated a bit, not knowing how to react to the other’s kindness. Still, he slowly nodded, and whispered in a nasally voice, “…thank you.”

A soft chuckle. “Anytime.”

Slowly, Qiao Lu raised the bowl to his lips, and averted his eyes from the other. A shyness that he had never felt before diffusing into the warm atmosphere, giving it a light, yet slightly different taste. 

Although Qiao Lu felt shy, and slightly nervous, he still felt joyful and cozy. The silent companionship of Ying Chen slowly melted all of the tension and nervousness Qiao Lu felt, and left him relaxed and content. 

As he was sipping at his congee, Qiao Lu had glanced over and saw that Ying Chen was snugly sitting in a chair and reading a book. Curious, he asked, “What are you reading?”

Looking up from his book, Ying Chen gave a soft and nasally, “Hn,” before saying, “Mh, you don’t recognize this book?”

Qiao Lu stared at him in a puzzled manner, then leaned closer to him to get a better view, asking, “Should I recognize this book?”

Ying Chen naturally adjusted the book so that the other could see it better, and then said, “Well, yes. You are the author of this book after all.”

“Oh.” Qiao Lu said with a blush, and embarrassedly rubbed at his nose.

Ying Chen laughed good-naturedly at this, a genial smile teasing at his lips. 

“Which book is it?” Qiao Lu asked softly, his voice as quiet as a mosquitos. 

“Ah, it’s an older book of yours. It’s titled, Strawberry Milk For Two.” Ying Chen responded gently as he smiled softly at Qiao Lu. “A very charming and relaxing read.”

“O-oh.” He stuttered, his face turning a shade redder. “It’s that one. Uh, p-please don’t read it. It’s a very old novel, and uh, it’s very embarrassing.” 

“Oh? But I think it’s very charming and sweet. The romance is endearing and innocent, and honestly, all the food that’s described in this book makes me feel very hungry, ah.” Ying Chen said with a teasing smile, his eyes curving into beautiful crescents.

Qiao Lu smiled at the praise, his cat like eyes squinting in joy. To hide his happiness from being praised, Qiao Lu raised the bowl of congee to his mouth and began to sip at it once again.

“Meow.” 

Startled, Qiao Lu jumped at the unexpected sound, and choked on the congee that he had been swallowing. Ying Chen hurriedly began to pat him on his back, concern and worry hanging on his brows. 

Once he was done coughing, Ying Chen took the bowl of half-finished congee from his hands and stuffed them with the glass of still warm milk. Taking it, Qiao Lu took a few gulps before it slowly turned into small, hesitant sips.

Laughing softly, Ying Chen lightly picked up the small round mochi and presented the mochi before Qiao Lu’s eyes. Seeing his eyes begin to glitter with joy, Ying Chen happily continued to show off his cat as he stuffed her into Qiao Lu’s arms and took the glass of milk from his hands.

“This is Fengfeng, my cat. She’s very sweet and friendly so no need to be scared. If you want, you can pet her as much as you’d like.” Ying Chen explained, unconsciously moving the glass of milk to his lips, before awkwardly setting it down after he realized what he was doing.

Luckily, at that moment, Qiao Lu was enraptured by the soft and fluffy Fengfeng. Happily, he petted and played with the cat’s fur. Saying, “I’ve never had the chance to pet a cat. When I was younger, both of my parents were often too busy to take care of me or any pets, so I’ve never had a pet before.”

Ying Chen listened quietly as the other spoke, his hand drifting over to briefly caress the cat. Looking up, he watched the other’s joyful expression with drooping eyes.

Pausing for a moment, Qiao Lu hurriedly explained, “Of course, they didn’t always leave me alone, we had a nanny robot and my Grandma and Grandpa would often visit… and-“ Qiao Lu felt a bit helpless when he tried to explain, not wanting to dampen the atmosphere. As he was trying to explain though, he suddenly felt a warm, and large palm resting at the top of his head. Slowly and soothingly, it began to rub his head in a familiar rhythmic motion. With it, Qiao Lu felt his back numb and his legs soften. 

Qiao Lu felt as if he suddenly given a precious and sweet ball of sugar. He couldn’t bare to put it in his mouth lest it melt, and couldn’t bare to eat it. All he could do was treasure it in the palm of his hands, and carefully watch over it. 

Awkwardly, all he could do was sit and be caressed by a careful and gentle palm as the other comforted him warmly. “It’s okay, no need to explain, I understand. If you feel the need to explain still, then slow down and talk slowly. I will listen and I won’t go anywhere till you have finished.”

Qiao Lu gazed up at the other through lowered eyelashes, and slowly repeated, “…thank you.”

A warm, melodic laugh. “En.”

With the calm reassurance of the other, Qiao Lu slowly explained, “My parents didn’t have a happy marriage, they would often fight and yell at each other. However, because of me, they decided not to get a divorce. So, they would try and avoid each other every time they went home. Sometimes, they wouldn’t come home just to avoid the other. Of course, they didn’t mean to neglect me. They were very apologetic to me, and my mother would cook and talk with me every time she came home.”

“My father was a bit more indifferent towards me, after all he had lover outside of our home. He didn’t cheat or anything, he only took her as his lover after he and my mother agreed to it. In turn, she could of course find a new lover.” Qiao Lu paused, then continued to explain. “It was only after I had turned 18 that they divorced, and for that I feel indebted to them. After the divorce, they both got remarried. My father and I don’t really stay in contact other then on holidays, while my mother and her wife are busy with their new child, so they haven’t had the time to visit often.”

After that, Qiao Lu didn’t know how to continue, he had only wanted to restore the atmosphere by assuring the other that he had a good childhood, but somehow ended up telling his life story. So now, he felt a bit vulnerable, and a bit awkward too.

Warmly, Ying Chen took Qiao Lu’s hand and gently put the bowl of half-eaten congee into his hands, and then laughed as he dragged the purring Fengfeng from his arms. “Finish your meal first, and then I’ll fix up a light snack for you, how about it?” He said with a smile, and gently petted Qiao Lu’s long ruffled hair until it was smooth.

Qiao Lu accepted this petting quite naturally, and softly asked, “Nothing else?”

The hand on top of Qiao Lu’s head seemed to briefly pause, then it continued to pet and tease his hair as a warm and mellow voice said, “Yes, there is. What type of snack would you like? Do you prefer savory or sweet, do you like spicy food? How about sour food?” He stopped, his voice turning so gentle and tender. “It’s okay to feel sad, it’s okay to feel nervous and uneasy. However, I do hope that in this house you can feel safe and relaxed. So, feel at ease. You are safe in this house.”

Once again, Qiao Lu’s nose felt a bit sour, while his heart felt sweet and tender. He… felt as if his heart had been encased by a layer of honey and syrupy sugar. It felt like his heart would just melt and drip down into a puddle along with the honey and sugar.

It felt good, it felt a bit painful too. But mostly, it just felt as if a big weight had fallen off his shoulders. He felt… relieved. 

“…okay.” He whispered.

With a gentle arc of his lips, Ying Chen responded with, “Don’t okay me, tell me what you would like as a snack instead.”

Qiao Lu rubbed his nose in embarrassment, and shook his head. “No need. I’m fine, truly. I’ve already bothered you so much.”

“What are you talking about, ah? You’re the Big Boss of my stream, have some confidence. You’re no trouble, in fact, I enjoy cooking for you. It feels nice to cook for other’s for a change. Besides, aren’t we friends?” He nagged, his eyes filled with mirth.

Qiao Lu listened obediently at first to his long speech, but when he took a tentative glance at Ying Chen, only to meet his eyes which were filled with playful delight did he realize he was being teased. “…”

Qiao Lu, “…” Qiao Lu.exe has stopped working.

Being teased repeatedly by the other man made Qiao Lu almost combust. Making him feel a bit panicked as he clumsily tried to hide his gaze. A rare frustration from his overreaction making feel even more awkward.

Ah, ah, ah. What was that reaction? You made it look so obvious that were looking. Ah, ah, ah, why is he looking at me? Stop looking at me!

Finally, after what seemed like centuries, Ying Chen removed his gaze from Qiao Lu, asking in a gentlemanly manner as if he hadn’t just been teasing the other, “So what do you want to eat? Hn, it has to be something easy to digest though. Hm, how about some… tomato soup?” 

A certain red as a tomato Lu: “…” Was he being teased again?

Of course, Qiao Lu was no match for this gentlemanly scammer who had easily kidnapped a certain idiot, and continued to remain in a muddled state of embarrassment and confusion.

He truly didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, being teased so much… he really couldn’t handle it, ah.

With a face full of innocence and gentleness, Ying Chen asked, “What do you think?”

To which, a tired Qiao Lu said, “Anything.”

Like that, Ying Chen waited until Qiao Lu finished off the bowl of porridge and glass of milk, then he took the wooden tray and put the empty bowl and cup onto it and swiftly left.

Tiredly, Qiao Lu leaned against the head of the bed. The soft pillows and blankets along with the faint yet comforting spicy scent of cinnamon and pine left Qiao Lu in state of being half-asleep. He tried to will himself awake, yet the peaceful and warm ambience quickly put him back to sleep. 

Thud, thud, thud.

Three soft thuds awoke the sleepy Qiao Lu. Hurriedly, he sat up, and rubbed roughly at his face to wake himself up. Then, he coughed a few times to clear his throat before calling quietly, “Come in.”

The door was quietly pushed open, the soft creak like a warm whisper as it blended gently along with Ying Chen’s smooth and mellow voice into the warm and relaxed ambience. The appetizing yet slightly spicy scent of ginger mixed with the comforting and nostalgic aroma of chicken noodle soup came wafting from the tray. White steam drifted  up from the bowl of noodle soup, and seemed to stretch endlessly over to Qiao Lu, relaxing his heart and soul.

Qiao Lu bathed in the warmth of the atmosphere, feeling as if he was soaking in a hot-spring as his tension melted from his body, and his fatigue drifted away like mist.

Setting down the tray once again, Ying Chen looked over at Qiao Lu, and had to stifle a laugh.

Ying Chen stewed for a moment as he looked at the birds nest at the top of Qiao Lu’s head, and after a moment of contemplation, decided his next course of action.

“One moment,” he said, leaving behind the confused and bewildered Qiao Lu before returning with something in his hand and saying, “You’re always staying up so late, even getting sick like this, you need to take better care of yourself.”

His plan of action being, since he cooked up some chicken soup he might as well cook up some chicken soup for the soul to the distract the enemy. 

Qiao Lu, “...?”

Then Ying Chen began to nag all about how to practice self-care, and somehow Qiao Lu ended up with his back to Ying Chen, allowing the other to brush and play with his hair as he pleases. 

Qiao Lu, “???”

Ying Chen sat on the bed behind Qiao Lu, brushing his hair gently as he smoothened it with his long and slender fingers. The soft touch making Qiao Lu’s scalp tingle. 

As he gently combed through his hair, Ying Chen would lean towards his ear whispering and laughing as he chatted comfortably with Qiao Lu. The soothing action of having his hair teased felt good yet also intimate. This made Qiao Lu feel both happy, yet slightly embarrassed. It felt nice to interact with Ying Chen for real, and not just through a screen, yet also so very embarrassing since Qiao Lu didn’t know how to act around the person he liked.

Before, it was only a slight crush which stemmed from admiration and comfort, but now that he had actually interacted with the other, he felt as if he could just melt under the other’s soothing gentleness.

Ying Chen on the other hand was at ease, struggling to tie Qiao Lu’s hair into a braid after having his fill in teasing and playing with his hair. Laughing sweetly, he said, “Ah, Xiao-Lu, you’re too easy to fool.”

Xiao-Lu too realized he been tricked, and laughed. “Hah, this pitiful Xiao-Lu can’t compare to a gentlemanly scammer like a certain someone surnamed Ying.”

The gentlemanly scammer surnamed Ying, “…” 

Amused from having been teased back, Ying Chen lightly carded his hand through the other’s hair and playfully ruffled the just combed strands. With the twitch of his lips, a pleased and contented smile plastered itself to his lips. “Ah, Xiao-Lu, your hair feels even better to touch than Fengfeng’s. What’s even better is that it’s long so I can even style it however I please, ah.”

Qiao Lu slightly tilted his head to listen, then glanced down at the messy and crooked twisted up strands of hair that the other called a, ‘braid’. 

Qiao Lu, “…”

Soon, soft laughter resounded behind him. As the other laughed, he would sometimes accidently press his chest lightly against Qiao Lu’s back, the soft vibrations of the other’s laughter tickled poor Qiao Lu senseless. 

Heat rushed to his cheeks as he heard the other say in a slightly breathy voice, “Don’t be so disdainful of my hard work, ah. My hair usually only grows to my shoulders before I cut it, so i’ve never braided hair before, okay?”

At this, Qiao Lu couldn’t help but to let out slightly helpless chuckle. “So that gives you the right to tease and play with my hair to your hearts content?”

“Exactly.” 

Speechless, Qiao Lu lightly blew on the wooden spoon that had just been raised to lips, and took a small sip from the spoon. The soup was salty yet light and fragrant, the perfect match for this warm and idyllic moment.

Lightly, Qiao Lu shifted back and leaned on the other’s chest. After that, he tried to keep his tone of voice as natural as possible as he said, “Mn, but from what I remember, I only allow my parents or my lover to play with my hair so carefreely, ah.”

Hearing this, Ying Chen paused, then said, “So you—” he drawled, “—want to call me Daddy?”

Qiao Lu, “…”

Qiao Lu, “…….”

Qiao Lu almost self-combusted right then and there. However, a burst of melodious laughter roused him from his embarrassed and dazed state, effectively reviving him.

“Okay, okay, I won’t tease you anymore. Since i’ve already played with your hair to my hearts content, then I’ll just have to take responsibility. I can’t be your parent, however I can be your lover, of course, that’s if you’ll have me.” Seeing how red Qiao Lu’s face had flushed, Ying Chen quickly stopped his teasing before the sick little baobei’s feverish brain was directly fried.

Though still slightly embarrassed, Qiao Lu still gave a small and light, “En.”

“Ah, it seems I really have tricked this little sweetheart home. Or is it that I’ve accidently picked up a little treasure? Either way, it seems I’ll be cooking for two from now on.” Ying Chen once again began to tease the other, his arms wrapping around the other in a loose but warmth filled hug.

“Mhm.” Qiao Lu hummed, his lips pursed in a small smile as his cat like eyes squinted in joy.

In this peaceful, harmonious atmosphere, the two cuddled as Qiao Lu finished off a bowl of chicken noodle soup, his stomach satiated and his heart tender and full. 

Ying Chen’s eyes curved into beautiful crescents as he watched the other eat, the small nibbles and joyful squints directly melting his heart into a puddle of spring water. Softly, he shifted back, and surprisingly, the other followed. So with a kind and doting smile, Ying Chen explained, “Let me get up and go brew us some tea. Afterward, you can go to sleep, okay?”

Nodding in an obedient and lovable manner, Qiao Lu said, “Okay, but be quick… please.” The last part being merely a soft murmur.

Luckily, Ying Chen was close enough to hear, so he happily got up and tucked the other in. When he was done tucking Qiao Lu in, he gave the other’s forehead a gentle and tender kiss as he agreed in a soft yet affectionate tone, “Okay.”

7