Ch.5 – Grey like morning fog.
488 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Iris opened her eyes and again saw that the sky was no longer a starfield. At that point, she decided to give up on trying to return to sleep. She felt far too awake, which she put down to a combination of excitement and anticipation.  

  

So, after climbing out of her bedroll, Iris pulled on the clothes she had been wearing the day before. She had put them into her inventory before crawling under the sheets.   

   

Figuring that they had hardly been worn the day before, they would be fine for another day at the least. Then after she was fully clothed, she climbed out of the wagon to stretch her muscles. Deciding to follow the routine that she was used to from her training with the Seraphim in Raianya’s realm.   

   

When she got down from the wagon, she was able to see Doxan sitting near the campfire. He had a book in his hands, but he had noticed her alighting from the wagon. He lifted a hand to wave good morning to her, letting her know he saw her.   

   

A seeming silent understanding between them arose as Iris realized that Stavic was still in bed. She lifted her finger up to her lips and tilted her head a little to ask the question without words.   

   

Doxan had been on the morning watch after Stavic had gone to sleep. The pair had forgotten to ask Iris if she wished to be part of the watch cycle. As such, they had simply followed their usual routine. Both planned to take turns getting a nap in the wagon as they traveled on. Yet when Doxan saw her question, he agreed with a silent nod of his own.   

   

Letting his friend get longer sleep would only be a benefit in the long run. Doxan decided to delay the morning preparations to leave for a little longer. Settling in to read a few more pages from his book.  

   

Iris, on the other hand, started with some warmup stretches. She stretched until she felt the tension and burn from her muscles and tendons. It was a whole new experience in her new body. After about half an hour of basic exercises and getting the feeling of how her body now stretched and moved, Iris popped back onto her feet.   

   

After Iris had a good look around at the clearing. She noticed it was a good size area. Iris decided to jog around the perimeter of the campsite to see how her stamina would last. Also, Iris knew she was about to spend a day in the wagon as they continued their journey, which made her want to burn off some of this energy with a good bit of cardio.   

   

So, she started to jog. Pacing herself as she began to get her stride right. Feeling the force and feedback of her feet hit the ground. She also felt the reactions her body was having to the new movements. Soon she was into a steady groove. Her brain ticked over to some of the songs she remembered well, humming their tune as she slipped into her own pace.   

    

Doxan had stopped reading as he saw Iris begin to jog around the camp, watching her circle the camp a few times before he noticed something wrong. When Iris came around for another pass, he spoke up, calling her name to get her attention.  

  

Iris was deep in the groove of humming her song as she was enjoying the morning exercise. Unfortunately, she had not noticed his attempt to garner her attention.  

  

Doxan got up and picked up his staff before moving over to the path Iris was taking around the camp. He then waited for her once again, but when she jogged past him, he used the staff he was carrying to tap her ankle. Causing her to tumble forward into the grass and leaf matter that was on the ground.   

   

Iris popped back up and looked around in a complete daze. Not knowing what suddenly took her out of her groove, “What? Huh?” then her eyes hit the grinning old dwarf, leaning on his staff, “Doxan?” she asked in confusion, “Did you trip me?”   

   

The old dwarf nodded as he replied to Iris, “Yes, and that is a problem. You can’t let yourself get so distracted that an old dwarf like me can sneak a hit on you. If I were some nasty monster, you’d be bleeding out or just dead. You need to keep your attention on your surroundings. Even in a town, it is better not to let your guard down entirely. It wouldn’t be safe.” He smiles and moves over to look at her leg, “Did I do any damage? I could heal you up if I did.”    

   

Iris then quickly went through a basic check for pain and stiffness. When she found no injuries, she shook her head in the negative. “No, nothing worth a healing spell.” she smiled at Doxan, “Thanks, I’ll pay more attention to my surroundings. I don’t feel like being monster food.” 

  

She then took a moment to contemplate her actions, “I've never felt this urge to keep in shape before. I-” a smile slid across her face as she realized the feelings that were rising up inside her, “I really like it.” 

  

Iris felt a sense of pride, a feeling of desire to keep what she has now. She knew exercise would let her body stay fit and shapely. In her old life, Iris had not felt any want or need to exercise. No desire to cater to the improvement of a body she had no love for. With this revelation, she knew that there were a lot of reasons she had felt so down back then.   

  

Knowing that she had a new body, one she wanted to look after. One Iris wanted to try and do her best to keep fit. To treat well.  

  

That was a huge step forward. Iris used to hate exercise. Now she felt the need to make sure she made time for it every day. Iris knew that those that wanted to explore and see all there was to see in this world needed to be fit. So, Iris would be, and she would be someone able to do all she wanted to.   

  

It did not take long for Stavic to wake from his slumber, and then they all helped to strike camp and begin their journey to the city. Loading up into the wagon once more, they moved along the road.  

  

Doxan had gotten into the back of the wagon and went ahead to get comfortable to get a nap in after his early morning watch had him up earlier than his companions. Stavic was up on the driver seat, guiding the horses along the path, keeping an eye on the road.  

  

Leaving Iris to sit on the back of the wagon as it rolled along. Contemplating the next steps of her new life with her legs dangling over the back of the wagon. Her mind was whirling through the possibilities.   

  

This quiet reverie lasted many hours. The horses moved the wagon at a constant yet sedate speed, as its occupants were left to their own devices.   

  

Doxan awoke shortly before lunchtime and saw the young woman sitting on the back of the wagon, her thoughts obviously off in their own little pocket dimension. Doxan then decided to go ahead with the plan he had made that morning, and he moved over and sat beside Iris.   

  

His gruff old voice seemed to get her attention much more than him sitting beside her, “Copper for your thoughts.” is what he asked, as he looked out at the scenery behind the wagon.  

  

Iris had taken his earlier advice to heart, so when he sat beside her, she had noticed him moving about, her hearing was so much better than before. She had just been waiting to see where he decided to go first.  

  

Iris replied to the question Doxan asked, “I am thinking about what job I should do. I mean I’m a pretty good bruiser with my weapons and the fighting style I know. I can cast some magic. I think I could be a dungeoneer or maybe even a mercenary. Lots of options are available to me. Just don’t know which one would be the best.” 

  

Doxan looked at her for a moment, then smiled at her, “I suggest using the class that is open to you already. Priestess.” he noticed the shock on her face, and it made him laugh. “Hear me out before you turn me down.” he waves at her, “First. It would be an absolute waste for you not to. It’s rare for someone of your level to have it open to you. Yes, there are other paths you can take. Some of them might be better for someone wanting to be a mercenary, but I have a proposition for you.” 

  

Iris took a few seconds to get her mouth working again, “Really? Priestess?” she shakes her head, “I’m not disagreeing. It just feels out of the left-field for me.”   

  

Doxan’s smile didn’t go away, “I guess it would be for you. Just hear me out.” he took a breath and began. “For the first point, the blessing you received from the goddess, that alone is something that, as one of the elder priests of the church, I would dearly love to have tied to us. Yes, that’s my own desire, but this does have plenty of upsides for you.”   

  

He motions to the wagon, “You plan to travel a lot once you are ready, do you not? You mentioned to us last night that you planned to explore the world. To see the fantastical and the wonderful. Then, being a member of the clergy is something that would help with that. The church is generally allowed to travel anywhere, if it isn’t someone's private domain, or there are other political reasons.”  

  

He grinned at her as he continued, “Next, is that you don’t pay tolls to enter other countries or domains. The Church also doesn’t pay any taxes. Which is another nice benefit. The church does tithe your income, but that’s a lot less than the taxes most countries put on mercenary bands.”  

  

Doxan plowed on, “Then there is the fact that you can stay at any church for free, instead of paying to stay at an inn.” he then pointed a finger at Iris, “Last, but not least. Since you have no papers of identification, nor any history of living elsewhere, having me claim you as a junior priestess gives you a very nice cover story, I can just say you came with us from the grand church. You lost your identification somewhere on the road, and we’re just waiting for your replacement to arrive.”   

  

Doxan looked at Iris, waiting for her response to his barrage of information. His dark brown eyes glittering out from under his white bushy eyebrows.   

  

Iris was gobsmacked. She had not expected to get an offer like that, not on her second day of existence in a new world. “I mean...” her voice faded away as she lost some confidence in replying to the offer. Iris's thoughts slid down into the dark corner of her mind. Her anxiety grasped at her thoughts. It chose this moment as it reached up and whispered all the dark possibilities that this could be leading to. The reasons Doxan could be using to try and pressure her into joining his Church.  

  

A smacking sound loud enough to startle both the horses and Stavic was heard from the back of the wagon. Causing the wagon to jolt a little then stop. The man sticking his head through the front flaps of the wagon cover to look into the back of the wagon, “Did something happen? Are we under attack?” 

  

What he was able to see, was not something attacking them, but a wide-eyed Doxan, looking at Iris, who had both her hands on her pale cheeks. Her hands come down to reveal red finger marks on her skin, showing where the noise had come from.   

  

Stavic’s low voice was heard saying, “Dammit, don’t frighten the horses.” before he turned around and got the horses underway again.  

  

Doxan had a look of concern on his face as he looked at the slightly swelling finger marks, “Are you alright? Do... Do you want me to heal that?”  

  

Iris looked embarrassed as she nodded to Doxan, “Please. I think I’m a bit stronger than I thought.” 

  

Doxan lifted his hand to start the healing spell, “Would you enlighten me as to why you would assault yourself in such a way?” 

  

Iris let out a sigh of relief when the spell healed her sore cheeks. She then took a little time to gather her thoughts before speaking again, “I-I have moments of anxiety. Where I have a problem-” she stops and takes a calming breath. “I slapped myself to stop myself spiraling into some of the stupid dark thoughts I get.” 

  

Doxan’s eyes widened as one of the young woman's titles now made much more sense to him. “Are you alright now?” worry was heard in his tone of his voice, as he seemed to restrain himself from reaching out to comfort her.   

  

Iris smiled slightly and looked down at her own still stinging hands, “Yeah. It was me reminding myself, Raianya wouldn’t have dropped me off here if you weren’t good people. She then told me you were. That your church actually helps people.” 

  

She smiled sadly, “Sometimes my brain can simply ignore all the good things and just dredges up everything I am worried about and tries to drown me in it all.” 

  

Iris took a deep breath and let it all out in a burst before straightening her back, “Thank you, Doxan.” she smiled at her new companion, “That sounds like a great idea. I mean there are many benefits, but I need to know, will I still be able to travel around at my own discretion?” 

  

Doxan’s response was cheerful as he tried to match Iris’s new mood. “Yes, but I would recommend spending some time getting some training and getting to know your own abilities before heading out on a grand adventure.” 

  

He then looked at the track as it passed under their feet, “We would need to sign you up for a Church mercenary charter. This would allow you to gather a group of mercenaries to travel with you and allow you to complete mercenary contracts to make money while you travel.”  

  

Iris’s eyes widened at that, “I think I know about that. Mercenary Contracts are put out by the country for mercenaries to complete, like hunting contracts, and monster part collecting? Dungeon clearance, and other things like that. Right? There is a Mercenary Guild building in most towns, run by the country. They put out the contracts, and make sure the mercenaries aren’t running rampant?” 

  

Doxan’s smile returned as Iris spoke, “Yes, that’s it. Church Mercenaries can’t be called on by a country to act as soldiers for war. Instead, they act as first responders for any nearby disaster. We are here to help people. Not to get involved in wars or other stupid things.”  

  

Doxan nodded to himself as he spoke. “In fact, I’m heading to Dungeon town, because there has been a request for a neutral party to oversee some of the things that have been happening there. My partner went ahead of us and will meet me at the church in the town.” 

  

Iris nodded along at Doxan’s explanation, then thought a bit more before speaking again, “So as a Priestess, am I stuck in that class? I mean, being a priestess isn’t terrible, but I wasn’t expecting to be a caster class.”  

   

Doxan got a confused look on his face for a moment, “A Caster Class? You mean a spell caster?” he then continues as Iris nods to him in confirmation, “Well no, you aren’t stuck in that class, but it does open several possibilities. Namely a set of classes that require the Priestess class to access.”  

  

Doxan smiled to Iris as she listened, “Consider it a shortcut truthfully. Where the warrior classes and the early classes can unlock some pure combat classes. The priest and priestess classes have some useful class bonuses that carry on to their later stages.”   

  

Iris continued to listen to Doxan, amazed at how in-depth the people of this world understood the class system. Then had to mentally slap herself. Of course, the natives know how the system works. They have lived with it their whole lives. Entire generations of people have probably studied and tested the system to understand its complexities. What the hell was she thinking.   

  

“So, your starting class expands out down a tree of possible classes?” Iris asked as Doxan stopped speaking, then continued her analysis, “And Priestess is an advanced class unlock? I’d also be skipping working towards getting it? As well as getting an early start on unlocking even higher advanced classes in that class tree?”  

  

Doxan broke into the kind of smile he reserved for particularly brilliant students. “That is correct. I'm glad you understood.” He then continued, “Also, once you reach a specified level of competency with your class, you can unlock a second class. Which is then able to be stacked alongside your main class. Meaning there are many benefits to having an advanced class early. Growth will be a little slower, but you’ll definitely have a much easier time growing once the second class unlocks.” 

  

Iris looked out at the scenery as she took the time to contemplate what Doxan told her. She wanted so very much to just jump into a warrior class and go beat on some monsters. The gamer inside her just wanted to go wreak havoc on the local monster population.  

  

However, in the long run, Iris knew Doxan was right. She needed a backstory and a base of operations. Iris also thought that possibly the goddess wanted her to join up with this Church. If Raianya thought they were okay, that was even more of a reason to hook up with them.  

  

The other benefits were also pretty sweet in the long run. The caveat of being a disaster responder was not much of an issue. Iris knew she would want to help if she was able to in that situation. So, was her hang-up that she would be getting to be a priestess? Does that not mean she would get to dress up in cool robes and get to look all cute?  

  

The thought of doing that got her desire to see herself dressed up, screaming like a teenager in her head as she started to blush in embarrassment at her own eagerness to dress up. 

  

Doxan had sat there patiently, waiting for Iris to come to a decision. He could see the emotions pass across her face as she played through the decision-making process. His eyebrows lifted when Doxan saw her blush and look back at him. He pondered why she would be embarrassed by her answer. Maybe she was about to turn down the offer. 

  

Iris grinned at Doxan, her blush still coloring her cheeks, "I would like to accept your offer Doxan. I would be a fool not to accept such a kind offer. So." She grinned widely at him. 

  

"How do I become a priestess?" 

25