Chapter 2: “Cai”
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The kid showed no signs of stopping. Cai prepared by brandishing a throwing knife from his pouch. ‘I won’t throw it directly at him, I’ll just try to interrupt his path forward.’ Cai thought. He swung his arm back in an arc to throw the knife at the ground. In one fluid motion, he flung his arm forward and let go of the knife.

In a flash Cai’s instructor appeared between them, their movements like water flowed beautifully. In the same smooth motion they caught the knife Cai hurled and grabbed the kid by the collar. “Got ya!” The teacher stared daggers at the child who squirmed in their grasp.

The teacher glanced back at Cai and smiled. “Great aim and technique, but I won't have you messing up the floorboards.” Cai shivered at the hidden warning behind those words. Cai carefully walked around the scene before him. He glanced at the child and recognized him as a new child that came to the orphanage.

He pretended not to notice. ‘I don’t want to call to attention that he’s clanless, they would find some way to reprimand me as well.’ Cai rushed down the hallway and through the door into the village. The academy sat atop one of three hills that overlooked the village. It was a warm sight as the afternoon sun dipped in the autumn sky. Its rays fell like golden leaves on the backs of the hard-working citizens below.

Cai’s classmates lined the streets in small groups. Normal roadside gossip on the way home was natural. Cai however, had to walk home alone. His status as clanless marked him as such. He started his way down the road when a familiar voice called out to him. “Cai! My boy! Could you help me carry this?” An old man shot a toothless grin at Cai, beckoning his help.

“Yes sir!” Cai jogged over to the geezer and grabbed the water bucket from his trembling hands. “Where too?” Cai asked through a stiff grunt. The water bucket was quite heavy. ‘How did he carry it this far?’

“To my home down the street.” He smiled and pointed down the road. “It’s downhill so I’m sure a young man like you can carry it down.” We began to walk to his house while he whistled tunes.

Cai’s face twisted in annoyance at the old man’s nonchalant attitude. ‘He could have carried this for sure he’s not even sweating.’ Cai gritted his teeth. The old man glanced at Cai and chuckled. “You are still in the academy, huh?” They arrived at the old man’s porch. “I even hear you are going to meet the Iteshk clan to see about being adopted into their family.”

Excitement welled up in Cai’s heart. His hard work was about to pay off. “Why do you want to become a cultivator so badly kid?” The old man pointed his question and struck through Cai’s enthusiasm. “All it will bring you is pain, look at me I’m a doddering old fool cast aside by my own birth clan. All because I crippled my cultivation protecting the village.” Decades of sorrow and resentment saturated the air.

 

“The heavens are cruel to some without much reason, you must be prepared for that kid.” The old man looked at Cai for a response only to be met with a sunken expression. The old man waved his arms up and down frantically. “Don’t listen to this old fool kid you’ll be fine probably.”

Cai mumbled and his shoulders slouched a bit. “I’m going to head home now old man.” A tinge of guilt struck the old man. “Maybe I was too harsh.” He whispered. “Hey, kid!” Cai turned around, arms dangling in a depressed posture. “You’re going to do great!” The old man shouted.

Cai’s demeanor improved. “Thanks, old man!” He smiled and waved back.

The old man sighed in relief. “Thank goodness.” He picked up the bucket with ease. “Kid is still a bit naive though.”

///

With each step, Cai neared the old orphanage building he knew well. It was a simple building from which you could hear the sounds of children. ‘I suppose it's nearing dinner time now.’ He thought. Outside of the front door was an empty way to remove one’s shoes. Out of habit, he kicked both sandals off trying to land them right next to each other.

“How many times have I scolded you for that Cai?” The voice of mother Seraphine startled him. She had snuck up behind the young man. “Well, I suppose I don't have many more opportunities to, scold you.” Her voice trailed off into a teasing tone. “Of course naturally it’s because I’m such a great mother, but it seems one of. My children is being honorably accepted by a local clan.” She did no work to hide the pride in her voice.

The older woman flashed a warm smile at Cai. One he knew very well also hid a dangerous side you should never cross. She brushed the stray strands of hair that escaped the messy bun she had her hair in.

“I’m sorry Mother.” Cai bowed respectfully.

Mother Seraphine giggled. “You makes us very proud Cai. After all, the last person to have started a path.” She stopped abruptly after she realized what she was about to say. It was too late. Cai's expression sunk as he lowered his gaze from hers. “I know whose name you were about to say, Mother.” Cai's voice quivered and his eyes welled up.

“Cai, I’m so sorry—”

“Revan.” Cai interrupted her apologies.

0