Chapter 3: “A Bandit Ambush.”
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wind rustled the traveler’s cloak. It was a peaceful day on the road, making travel much easier than it has been. The crackling of orange and brown autumn leaves was a comforting sound. Each leaf found the freedom of flight at the end of its life. Making room for a fresh green leaf in the spring.

The peace was interrupted by a throwing knife that landed in the stranger’s path. “Hold it right there traveler.” Three bandits came out onto the path from their respective hiding places. The bald one was the leader of the pack who called out to the stranger.

“This here is a toll road, it’s gonna cost you 5 silver, or we can take an IOU and your finger as collateral.” His toothless grin was disturbing. Despite the threat, the man remained silent and unmoved by the bandit’s presence.

The lack of response angered the bandit. “You heard me! at least give me face and respond.” He shouted, unable to hold back his frustration. “Tell ‘em boss!” one of the other bandits shouted.

The stranger began to walk again as if those three weren’t in his path. He did not acknowledge them however, the wind began to whistle a ghastly tune. It picked up the dead autumn leaves and swirled around the stranger unnaturally. “Whats a bandit’s role in the world?” The man spoke, his voice was distant and hypnotic.

The bandit leader didn’t even notice the man’s question and lunged forward lashing out. His rusty knife plunged into the stranger’s chest. “Take that you dog!” The stranger stopped his movement. “Boss…” One of the other bandits stammered.

“What are you stuttering about? The poor bastard didn’t stand a—” He was cut off by the stranger’s voice coming from behind him.

“Your path is filled with blood. I wonder if you can turn away from your destination.” The bandit slowly turned his head to see the stranger standing behind him. He panicked and turned back around, to face what he thought was the stranger, burst into swirling leaves in the wind.

The man screamed as his mind filled with the screams of his victims. “Get out of my head freak!” He lashed out wildly at the stranger behind him.

In a flash, the stranger drew a sword and stabbed the bandit in the heart. “Your path ended.” The man’s words held a sense of remorse. The other two bandits dropped to their knees in shock, their eyes glazed over as they too experienced the pain of their victims.

“This will be the outcome for you too… unless you turn away from the pain you cause and choose a new path.” Even though he sounded like a young man his words held what seemed like decades of wisdom. This warning moved the other bandits’ hearts as they began to cry.

As if nothing happened the stranger continued on his journey forever altering the course of these bandit’s lives.

///

“Anyways, we need to get you something to eat so you can get to work at the library.” Seraphine hurried inside the door and motioned Cai inside.

Once he stepped in it smelled of a rich stew. ‘I’ll never get tired of this smell.’ The aroma never ceases to lighten his mood. After all, it’s Mother’s specialty. He stepped up to the counter and sat on a stool. His mouth watered with anticipation.

Seraphine retrieved a wooden bowl from the cupboard and ladled steaming hot stew into it. Pieces of savory venison floated in the rich broth. “Here you go.” She sat it down in front of the hungry boy. “Thank you Mother Seraphine.” Disregarding manners he tore into the meal with a spoon devouring the contents faster than what should be humanly possible.

Seraphine laughed at the crude sight before her. “I taught better manners than that, what will the clan think if they take in a viscous beast like you.” She teased.

Cai chuckled and smiled widely. “I’m just trying to hurry to make sure I’m on time to attend to the library. He gripped the bowl with both hands and slurped down the broth. “Thank you, Mother!” He set the bowl down on the counter and scurried out the door. After struggling to get his sandals on and tightening the rope belt around his waist he sprinted off. “See you later.” He yelled back at the house.

“Ah, Revan would be so proud of you today. Even though he wouldn’t show it.

The streets were beginning to empty as the sunset swiftly approached. Within sight was the village library, a place that held records of many things. Technique manuals, Qi cycling techniques, ancient accounts of clan rivalries, and even cookbooks. The possibilities for learning were fast here. Which is why Cai loves it so much.

Outside the door where it usually perched was the library’s true keeper, an owl spirit known as The Watcher. Cai bowed before climbing the steps to the massive building.

“Welcome little one.” The owl’s voice was raspy.

“Thank you honored spirit.” His head still bowed, excitement crept into his voice.

“This one has heard news of your soon-to-be change in status. Are these whispers truthful?” The owl asked.

“Yes honored spirit, this one is humbled by your interest in them. It is this one’s wish to be accepted into the Iteshk clan.” Cai responded respectfully holding back the urge to jump up and down from glee.

“Well before I lose you to your inevitable clan duties please inventory the historical tomes section today.” The doors opened slowly allowing the warm air to rush out.

“Yes honored spirit.” He diligently walked up the steps into the great library.

[author][/author]

0