Chapter 6
Id by Vast
71 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

6

 

Julia’s condition failed to improve. Although George poured all his earnings from hunting evil beasts into the Sanctuary of Nordburg, the priests’ sacred treatments were barely sufficient to keep Julia’s condition from deteriorating. The biggest problem was that George’s income was not reliable.

 

Going hunting didn’t guarantee he would always catch evil beasts whose fur was sold at a high price. George had not seen an evil beast for almost an entire month recently. As a result, Julia hadn’t been treated for a long time, although the treatment was meant to be done regularly.

 

“Aaaaaaaaaaaag”

 

Unable to put up with the pain, Julia screamed desperately. George’s face was haggard. It was hard to express in words the pain he felt, as his loved one suffered due to his lack of money for her treatment. Finally, unable to tolerate it, George stood up.

 

“What the hell…….”

 

He decided to travel to Nordburg and search for high-paying jobs. As a group of merchants from Nordburg was staying in the village, George didn’t hesitate to join them on their return trip to Nordburg. He believed his friend working at the Nordburg Mercenary Guild would find a profitable job for him.

 

…….

 

“I’m going to do it.”

 

Hearing George’s comment, a grey-haired man opened his eyes widely.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I mean, I’m going to sign a contract.”

 

George’s expression was determined. In contrast, his friend Ivan shook his head in disbelief. 

 

“Are you crazy? Recruiting mercenaries at a high price in a battle between the feudal lords means they are losing. In nine out of ten cases, you’re going to be killed.”

 

“I’ll do it anyway. I need the money.”

 

Ivan frowned. He had fought on the battlefield together with George for a long time before finding a job in the Nordburg Mercenary Guild. George was always quiet and not talkative, resulting in his nickname, the Gentleman of Silence. It was by no means uncommon for George to be so obstinate.

 

Ivan was well aware that George had started a new life in Derevnya with his new family a year ago. So he didn’t expect things to be so desperate when George visited him a moment ago with a gaunt face.

 

“Are there any lucrative contracts? No matter the risk, I want high payment.”

 

Ivan thought George was kidding.

 

“Lords in a feudal battle with another lord pay higher than anybody else. At the moment, Baron Kozlov is recruiting many mercenaries at a hefty price because he is fighting against Viscount Korolyov.

 

“How much does he pay?”

 

“Baron Kozlov will pay thirty golds a month to a second-grade mercenary like you. It’s quite a large sum, isn’t it?”

 

Thirty golds a month was by no means a normal sum. Any experienced mercenary worth his salt would question such a high price.

 

“Then, how much does Viscount Korolyov pay?”

 

“They haven’t decided yet whether they will recruit mercenaries or not. If they decide to recruit more mercenaries, the payment would be five golds a month for the second-grade mercenaries.”

 

George nodded as he heard Ivan’s answer. Five golds a month. It was a fair price for mercenaries who were recruited into such battles. He gave a determined reply.

 

“I’m in. I’ll be paid half of my wage beforehand, won’t I?”

 

“Looks like you really need the money urgently. But the Korolyov family doesn’t pay any amount beforehand. There are many mercenaries who want to fight for them.”

 

“No. I want to make a contract with Baron Kozlov.”

 

“What!? Are you insane?”

 

“I’m completely sane. I mean what I said, I’m going to be hired as a mercenary for the Kozlov feud. I am sure I am qualified for employment.”

 

“I don’t understand you... you are qualified, of course. The Kozlov family would like it if you fight for them. But why are you taking such a great risk? Money is important, but it means nothing when you’re dead.”

 

Ivan’s concern made sense. Feudal warfare was the most radical and primitive way to resolve disputes between aristocrats who owned feuds. It was a war waged by mobilizing all of the land’s capabilities and, as a result, distinguishing who’s right and who’s wrong. Usually, the winning side could exercise their authority over the losing side at will. The winning aristocrat could confiscate the loser’s territory and even sell the serfs on the estate as slaves.

 

That kind of feudal battle occurred between the two aristocrats whose territories were not far from Nordburg. So, almost all the mercenaries staying in Nordburg have been employed by the two aristocrats, respectively. It was no longer important where the dispute between the two aristocrats had started because it had already become a competition for pride between the two noble families. The actual problem was a significant difference between the size and the capacity of the two estates.

 

The estate of Viscount Korolyov was a relatively substantial and solid feud. The lord managed it with considerable care, so there were many yields, and peasants and serfs of the estate lived a better life than other feuds. On the other hand, Baron Kozlov was a lord who made a mess of the estate’s management and collected too much tax. So during the season of spring poverty, many peasants and serfs on the estate starved to death every year.

 

Originally, Baron Kozlov was a member of the central aristocrats, who were in charge of Scandia's state affairs. He was a count before he was defeated in a political dispute and, having been demoted, was thrown out to the estate adjacent to the northeastern border. All Baron Kozlov was interested in was somehow to find somebody who could back him up and help him return to the central political system. To obtain the required fund for his purpose, he collected abnormally high taxes from his estate.

 

The estate of Baron Kozlov was the most impoverished feud in Scandia’s northeastern region. He was then in trouble since he started a feudal battle against the adjacent feudal lord, Korolyov, under such circumstances. A dispute wouldn’t have arisen if it weren’t for the baron’s pride as he had been a count and a member of the central aristocrats once before.

 

Nevertheless, having received permission from the king, the two lords eagerly prepared for feudal warfare. They trained their private soldiers hard and recruited competent mercenaries. But in many aspects, such as the power of Knights, the number of ready troops and the supply system of food and armament, the viscount’s army was predominant over that of the baron.

 

“Everybody thinks Baron Kozlov will be defeated. Commoners and peasants of the Korolyov estate are voluntarily supplying food and armament to their army. They don’t want to belong to the Kozlov estate. Contrarily, the people of the Kozlov estate are hiding to avoid conscription. It’s clear who will win.”

 

Hearing Ivan’s explanation, George frowned.

 

“Is Kozlov enlisting peasants and serfs?”

 

“Yes. Although Kozlov knows it will cause a major setback in the management of the estate, he has no other methods to fall back on.”

 

A thoughtful lord would never conscript his people for a feudal battle. Conscripts were significantly weaker in combat than standing elite soldiers. There was bound to be a clear distinction between professionals and non-professionals. Besides, if conscripts died in battle, there would inevitably be a significant setback in estate production.

 

Even if an elite soldier died, you could recruit a new man to train. There were many volunteers for soldiers. In case conscripts died, there would be no way to substitute those in charge of the production in the estates. Serfs, of course, didn’t have the freedom to move from one estate to another. It’s hard to find new peasants, especially for the estates like Kozlov's, where the lord collects excessive taxes. As a result, the dead conscripts’ farmlands would be devastated even after the war. So, if Baron Kozlov even conscripted, that meant he had only a slim chance of winning.

 

“Are you still going to join Kozlov's estate?”

 

George nodded, unshaken.

 

“Yes, if they’re paying half in advance.”

 

Having stared at George for a while, Ivan clicked his tongue.

 

“I don’t know what happened to you. But this is not a good choice at all. Nevertheless, I can see that I won’t be able to convince you otherwise...”

 

Reading the documents, Ivan continued.

 

“It is possible for you to get paid half in advance. I’ll ask one last time before I enlist you. Are you sure of this?”

 

George’s answer didn’t change. With fifteen gold coins, Julia could be treated by sacred power at least five more times. If he could see Julia sleeping in peace, he would have no regrets, even if he died on the battlefield.

 

George was hired on the spot. Upon hearing that he was a second-grade mercenary, the baron’s estate officer immediately paid fifteen gold to George. Those fifteen gold went directly to the Nordburg Sanctuary.

2