Chapter 87: Immoral choices
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nikola watched as the angels of Samjin brewed the mind control potion. A lighter variant of it that would act on suggestions. Pan Zixin added the mermaid eye and stirred counterclockwise. Blue fumes escaped the pot and the liquid inside cleared. It was done.

“He needs to drink one cup,” Said Pan Zixin as he kept stirring. “Why didn’t you make it yourself?”

Nikola peaked inside the pot to see the tea like potion within.

“And leave traces of my magic? I can play being confused if someone points a finger at me this way. And you are all toddlers, no one will suspect you,” Pan Zixin nodded his approval at that and placed some potion in a tea cup.

“I have to say we never thought of enthralling the Emperor himself. But maybe we should give the rest of the pot to some nobles?”

Nikola stared at the angel and wondered if he hadn’t made a mistake and a demon stood before him now. Oh, well. The kid had a right to live now that it was born. He grabbed the cup and placed it on a platter with sweets. Then he personally carried it to the only guest room in the entire house where the Emperor stayed.

Nikola knocked on the door and it creaked open. The Emperor smiled at him and greeted him with a happy yell of “Brother”.

“I brought you a little something to tie you over before dinner,” said Nikola as he was let inside. The room was a mess. He would need to clean it as soon as he got the Emperor out.

“Why, thank you, dear brother. The tea smells very nice. What is it out of?”

“Simple black tea,” responded Nikola. There was indeed some black tea in the potion. So, the strong scent could mask the other ingredients and the bitterness could be explained. The Emperor reached for the single cup on the platter and took a sip, eyes closing in delight.

“Strong brew. But why didn’t you bring any for yourself?” Asked the Emperor, and Nikola lowered his head as if humbled.

“I wouldn’t presume to behave as if I were your Imperial Majesty’s equal,” the Emperor puffed up like a rooster. His reign had achieved nothing, the most interesting thing in it being Gangcho’s prosperity. But if the Emerald Emperor himself respected him, then he was deserving of said respect.

“Quite right. You are no longer an Emperor, brother. And yet, you can become one again. Perhaps I will give you Xiongnu to rule after we conquer it.”

Nikola silently fumed at the attempt of the Emperor to make a puppet out of him. The Emperor took another sip, and Nikola forced himself to calm down. He needed to be like a still lake. Deed enough to drawn, but so calm that no warning of the danger was given.

“I no longer have a taste for ruling,” said Nikola as the Emperor raised the cup again. “I’m sure you have something better than me in mind for the position of King of Xiongnu.”

The Emperor looked taken aback at that.

“Xiongnu is ruled by an Emperor, brother. They call him Chanyu,” he blurted out, not being able to comprehend how someone was refusing a crown.

“They should not be allowed to style themselves with the same title as you,” said Nikola, and the Emperor raised the cup for the final time. Then his eyes closed half-way.

Was it working? Nikola wasn’t sure. He snapped his fingers in front of the Emperor’s face and when no reaction followed, he grinned.

“My children will marry for love, as it is your wish,” The potion wasn’t forceful, so Nikola had to be cautious to word his commands in such a way that the Emperor didn’t snap from his trance.

“Yes, of course. My Han Guo is so happy with your Wei Lihua. He calls her fairy, did you know, brother?” The Emperor had a loopy smile on his face, and so he must be genuinely happy about it. Nikola smiled politely and thought about the next command.

“I will go to the progress of your land to find more precious deposits. But half of what I find will go to Han Guo. To be managed by him as a form of training for the throne,” he had nearly said Wei Lihua, but that would have been too suspicious. The boy trusted him. Nikola would be the one to manage his new holdings.

“I…to Han Guo? I understand. I was going to make him a magistrate, but this is better. A comfortable life is what those two deserve. That and independence.”

Nikola grinned. This was going better than he had expected. Time for the final push.

“And as for the war. Well, I would like to sit it out…”

“Now listen here, brother!” Snapped the Emperor and his eyes opened fully. “Xiongnu is besieged by nomads. If I skip on this opportunity, then some nomad would claim Longcheng! We build the Great Wall because of Atlantis, but Xiongnu tried to breach it as well. It is only right you deal with these upstarts, since it was one of your grandsons who founded the nation.”

Nikola blinked. Was it, really? Then the royal family of Xiongnu were his descendants. Or were they?

“Is the royal family…” Began Nikola, but the Emperor shook his head.

“Have no fear that you will become a kinslayer. Your grandson just founded it, gave it, it’s laws, and left for greener pastures. Or returned to Atlantis. The myths are unclear.”

Disappointment went through Nikola. Had he had more family out there, he would have prevented a thousand wars. But since he didn't, he had to think of the family he did have.

“Then I will help with the war effort’s provisions,” the Emperor brought his fan harshly down on the table.

“Your place is on the front lines! I have spoken,” then he stared at the door and Nikola left, leaving the platter with the sweets behind. He went back to his room and saw Wei Caihong working on a study plan.

“How did it go?” Asked the noble. He had thought it too risky, this plan of Nikola’s. But he had still chosen to remain quiet about it.

“He won’t decide the fate of the children,” said Nikola, and Wei Caihong smiled at him. Then the noble’s face fell.

“But?” He asked and Nikola gulped.

“After I litter this country in precious deposits, I am to go to war against Xiongnu,” said Nikola and Wei Caihong bit his lower lip.

“You couldn’t have brewed something stronger, could you?” He asked and Nikola shook his head.

“It had to be something that he could break from. If he went around half-asleep then people would have noticed,” Nikola went to lay on the bed next to Wei Caihong, and he felt strong arms wrap around him.

“I am coming with you,” said Wei Caihong. Nikola shook his head.

“No, you and Penemue have to take care of the children. What if she gets pregnant again just as we are leaving? We can’t leave her with twelve children by herself, even if she would have Wei Zhaohui and Han Shanyuan to help her. She can feed you blood. You have my soul piece now, so you can walk in the sunlight even without my blood. And the children can drink transformed water. Do they still think it is berry juice?” Asked Nikola, and Wei Caihong snickered.

“Wei Lihua tried to give some to Han Guo, but I stopped her. Now they think it is a medicine,” They shared amused looks and then a kiss. It was so good these days, even with the slight problems coming up now and then. They heard a knock on the door and Nathaniel came in.

“Father, Auntie. The Emperor wants to see you both.”

Both of his parents groaned but got up. They send Nathaniel to check on Bjorn, who was teaching his daughter, Ingrid, how to brew mead. The two Nephilim were as thick as thieves. Nikola just waited for Azazel to give the green light, and he was going to hold an engagement party in a heartbeat. It was not like Penemue and Azazel were actual siblings.

The Emperor greeted them with a scroll in his hands.

“I can’t begin a war campaign during winter,” it was autumn, so that meant that they were going to be travelling and improving the land during the winter. Joy. “But I can’t keep taking from the Wei family without giving back a boon. Cousin Wei, I know of no one worthier to sit in as an Emperor while I am in Xiongnu.”

“What of Han Guo?” Asked Wei Caihong. Before, he would have jumped at the opportunity. Now he felt dread because of it.

“He will learn from you. But I can’t leave the country to a child of nine,” said the man, and he handed the scroll to Wei Caihong. He was named as regent. To continue to rule in case the Emperor died during the war, until Han Guo came of age.

“I am most grateful…”

“Yes, yes. As you should be. Now, brother. You have been a magistrate for four years, and yet you never pledged your loyalty to me. If we are to go to war, then that can’t stand,” Nikola nodded and knelt down, taking out his sword and offering it to the Emperor, who smiled.

“I Nikola. Also known as the Emerald Emperor of Atlantis, do hereby swear eternal loyalty to the Emperor of China, whose last name is Han. May I suffer great pain if I go back on my pledge.”

Nikola felt the binding magic grip him. Any pledge a ruler who practiced magic made was binding. The Emperor must have known this. The Emperor took the sword and inspected it. Then he cut his palm on it.

“And I, Emperor Han Zhangzhong, accept this pledge for all eternity. May it never be said I made Nikola, the former Emerald Emperor, do something dishonest. May I die if I do so,” Nikola felt the magic wrap around the Emperor, but the man himself looked like he didn’t feel it.

Do you want to die?

Then so shall you.

Promised Nikola in his mind. Men like Han Zhangzhong cared only about victory. He would make Nikola commit one war crime too many. And then Nikola would plunge his sword into him, and Wei Caihong would rule until Han Guo became old enough to do so himself.

And what was more, no one was going to learn of what Nikola has done. No one had made him swear fealty before. And he was going to make sure that the one who did was going to pay for it.   

1