Cadets.
54 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XXth September 845

An open field, barren ground, scorching sun, and a unit of people. Time passed by and by the end of it, this is where we were.

"WHO ARE YOU?" A bald man shouted in front of us. His skin was tanned and burning red from the blazing sun, and his eye bags remained as dark as they could possibly be.

"SOLDIERS, SIR!" We answered as practised before the application.

"WHAT ARE YOU FIGHTING FOR?"

"TO KILL THE TITANS, SIR!!" We yelled in unison.

"WHO ARE YOU FIGHTING FOR?"

"FOR HUMANITY!!"

"DOWN!" We bowed our heads. "INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!"

The bald man came down and started to walk amongst the unit, starting from the first row.

"Jean Kirschtein, sir!"

The man moved on. Without any reaction.

"Ymir, sir!"

"FULL NAME!"

"I don't have it, sir!"

"Hmph." He moved on.

"Historia Reiss..."

"LOUDER!"

"Historia Reiss, sir!"

The introductions dragged on for a while until-

"S..ha Br..s:

"I COULDN'T HEAR YOU!"

"Sa..pha...Bw..auugh phir!"

The man turned towards a brown-haired woman. And so did everyone else. The sight of her was frightening. It was even more uncanny than things I had done in the past.

"Are you perhaps eating?" The man said with aggression quickly filling his voice.

"Yeph phir!" This girl was insane.

"WHA- Whyyy are you eating now?" You could practically hear his teeth grinding.

"Do I need to have a reason to eat, sir?"

"No, but."

"Are you after this potato, sir? I can't give it to you."

The man exhaled as if to retain his sanity. "I'll deal with you later. Next."

"Mikasa Ackerman, sir!" Mikasa answered. I didn't want her to be here, but she was a little harder to shake off.

"Armin Arlert, sir!" I let him join planning on having him go even further inside the walls.

The man walked past the two of them while rubbing his temple.

'Let's get my introduction over with too.'

"Eren Yaeger, sir!" I hit my fist on my heart. But then suddenly he stopped and eyed me top from bottom. Examining me.

"Yaeger, you say?" He finally asked while putting his hand down.

"Yes, sir!"

"Are you perhaps the son of Grisha Yaeger?"

How famous was that bastard? Why did everyone know him?! Oh well, let's just get this over with.

"Yes, sir!" I answered confidently.

"He was an acquaintance of mine, how's he doing now?"

"He passed away during the invasion." Lying became second nature to me over the duration of the previous months.

"Oh, I see. Is Car- your mother alright?"

"She's alive and under the care of the survey corps, sir!" They seemed like acquaintances. Even though I had never seen him in our district.

The bald man nodded his head and moved on.

"Reiner Braun, sir!" The ball rolled on to the next cadet and the one after him.

Then we dispersed to get our stuff together and unpack in the dorms.

.

.

.

"Eren, are you already done with unpacking." Mikasa met me outside as the sun began to set.

"Yep, there wasn't much to unpack anyway." I answered while leaning against the door.

"I thought I would have to help you out. So shall we go now?" She started to walk towards the large building that acted as both the meeting hall and the canteen.

"What about Armin?" I asked as we passed by the final dorm.

"He's already in the canteen."

"Oh." I didn't expect him to grow out this soon. I mean he was talking to the others before we dispersed. I was happy that Armin was expanding his horizons and growing out of his shell.

He wasn't assigned to the same room I was. I had to stay with Reiner and Bertholdt.

As we neared the canteen the figure of a girl running laps around the field came into our sight.

"So he got her, huh?"

"She was pretty brave for eating like that in the middle of a meeting." Mikasa added.

"This is pretty entertaining in its own way." I hurry ahead a little. "Oi Sasha, Keep it up!"

I don't this she's quite in her right mind. Not a mind right enough to hear me at least. I sort of related to her insatiable hunger now. But I wouldn't tell her that.

I headed inside and Mikasa followed me. She went to the serving place and I started heading to the table.

"Aren't you going to eat?"

"Ah, yeah... a little later though." I already 'ate' as much as I could before coming to the camp. But I still needed to eat once a week. That meant that I would have to escape the camp regularly. I needed to figure a plan as soon as possible.

I looked for Armin and ran up to his table.

"Yo!"

"Ah, Eren! I was talking to Connie and Marco here."

A small boy with a shaved head and a tall boy.

"Are you the Eren he's been on and on about?"

"Yep." How much did he even talk about me?

They ate their food and peaceful chatter and noises filled the canteen. Mikasa sat behind and silently ate her food. But it wasn't like she wasn't enjoying this.

There was a certain joy in meeting people in similar situations as us.

"Umm... Eren." While everyone was eating, a little blonde woman walked up to me.

"You... are?" I looked at her from top to bottom. "!!" My blood left my face.

"I am Historia Reiss, I wanted to thank you for helping me the other day."

There was no mistaking it, she was the girl in the back alley. She saw me like that- She saw me when I was a ghoul!

Without thinking for another second, I grabbed her wrist and ran outside. "Ah, Eren..." She resisted... But I didn't stop.

After getting out of the canteen I let her go in a secluded place.

"What are you doing?" She rubbed her wrist but still asked politely.

"What do you remember from that night?!"

"What do you mean? I was getting attacked and you saved me."

'Is that the extent of what she saw? Nothing about me shouting that I wanted to eat the man? Or how my eye looked at that time?'

"Is that all?"

"Yes, I was too shaken up to remember the detail, but you were definitely the person who saved me."

I breathed out a sigh of relief before sucking it back up. But I still couldn't trust her.

"How did you even end up in a situation like that?"

"... I was with a friend of mine in the market, and then I got pulled in the backstreet alley by that man."

"What happened after I left?"

"That man stopped moving, so I ran away."

"I see." He probably died. That would make it my third murder, huh? Well, he was just a huma- STOP! What was I even thinking about?!

"...Historia, is it?"

"Yes."

"Can you please keep that incident a secret? I wasn't supposed to be out that night."

"If that is what you want." She nodded. "You did save me after all."

"EREN!" I heard Mikasa's voice.

"HISTORIA!!"

"Ah, Ymir is here. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

.

.

.

"Who was she?" Mikasa asked me on the way back to our temporary housing.

"Historia Reiss."

"Do you know her?"

"Nope. We just mistook each other for someone else." It sounded like a blatant lie but she still bought it.

Mikasa looked happy for some reason. I patted her back.

::XXX::

"So... who's your favourite one?" Reiner asked.

"I like Historia..." Bertholdt answered meakly.

"I see... we have the same taste after all." Reiner nodded.

"It's only the first day, and you guys already got favourites?" Are all sixteen year old's like this?

"Shut up! You already have Mikasa."

"Well, I guess that's true. What about it?"

"This man really doesn't have a hint of romance in him."

"You don't need romance to put food on the table. And it's not like I'm a fourteen year old girl." I have plenty of responsibilities as is.

"The wrong people are blessed with luck in this world."

"You two really don't know a thing." The first night continued and ended with pointless banter.

2