4
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kail had not expected to hear that. “This is the first time?”

Teacher James nodded. “There were a few times where the idea had been proposed but it was always dismissed for one reason or another. It may happen again this time as well.”

Teacher James looked Kail over once before clicking his tongue in annoyance. In his eyes, Kail was losing value as a student. If it turned out that Kail had the darkness element, James’ reputation would be ruined.

Kail frowned. He didn’t like how James was acting. At first, Teacher James had been friendly. But after bringing up the topic of elements, his whole attitude changed. I get the feeling he will be talking about me with my parents today.

A knock at the door interrupted the increasingly tense air between teacher and student.

“Enter,” Kail called.

The door opened and his older brother entered the room. His brother was named Storm. He was fifteen. He had their father’s dark red hair and green eyes. He had their mother’s gentle features.

Kail guessed that his appearance meant that he had returned from his aptitude test. Teacher James bowed as Storm entered the room.

“Hello, Young Master Storm. How are you this fine day?” James greeted with a bright smile.

Storm had a big smile on his face. He couldn’t hide his obvious excitement. “Hello, Teacher James. I’m doing great! I just returned from my aptitude test.”

“Oh? What was the result?”

“I am of the light element!” he revealed.

Kail’s eyes widened at the news and he looked up at his brother. Storm glanced at him. There was darkness in his eyes when their eyes met. Kail knew that he had been informed of his element. Damn Goddess of Light! She’s already trying to ruin my life!

Storm returned his gaze to Teacher James. “I need to borrow my little brother for a bit. I hope I’m not interrupting an important lesson.”

Teacher James shook his head. “Not at all. I was just giving him a brief history about the royal family today. I have another appointment to get to. I’ll take my leave now.”

Storm nodded before turning to Kail. “Follow me, Kail. I have something to show you.”

Kail kept his guard up as he reluctantly followed his brother out of the room. Storm led him into the game room down the hall. Once the door was closed, Storm leaned against the billiards table in the center of the room.

He rested his bright green eyes on Kail. “I spoke with the Goddess of Light while I was at the temple to take my test. Would you like to know what she told me?” His smile was gone and his expression was dark.

The affection he once had for Kail was gone. Kail simply nodded his head. In truth, he already had a hunch as to what the goddess had told Storm.

Storm crossed his arms and continued to look at him with a penetrating gaze. “She told me that you’re of the darkness element. I had suspected of such based on your hair and eyes but then I told myself maybe it’s because you have Mother’s eyes.”

Storm shook his head and sighed. “She also told me that you’re from another world. That your soul replaced my original brother.”

Kail’s rage blew up inside him. That bitch!

The Goddess of Darkness spoke at the same time, saying his thought out loud. Storm did not react for he did not hear her.

“Tell me why you decided to try and live a lie, Kail.” Storm’s voice was full of hatred.

Kail glared at Storm. He was desperately trying to think of a way to escape this sudden situation. He couldn’t play dumb and he couldn’t just change the subject. Storm would never let him get away with that.

“Answer now or I will go tell my parents the truth,” Storm threatened.

“Because the Goddess of Light ruined my first life!” Kail blurted, panicking.

Storm raised a thin eyebrow. “Oh? Why?”

“She hated me because I was blessed by the demon king of my first world. But I didn’t live like I was. I never used my powers to commit bad deeds. I only tried to live a simple and happy life. Yet she refused to let me have that. She always destroyed any source of happiness that I was able to obtain,” Kail explained.

All he could do was hope that his explanation would turn Storm to his side.

“I doubt you can prove all of that so I won’t ask for proof. It sounds pretty unbelievable. The Goddess of Light spoke of you as an evil person who terrorized everyone in your first life,” Storm said before flinching when a voice reached his ears.

“Not on my watch! I refuse to let things go wrong so early!” It was Izabella, Goddess of Darkness. She had given Storm the ability to hear her for just this moment. “My sister lied to you, child of light. Kail is no evil person.”

Storm looked at the empty space beside Kail where the voice resounded from. “Who are you? Are you the Goddess of Darkness? The Goddess of Light warned me about you as well.”

“What? How dare she? She is lying to you, human! You weren’t even supposed to have the light element originally! You were supposed to be fire!” Izabella felt livid with how things had turned out.

“Fire?” Storm laughed. “As if! I’ve never heard of a divine being able to change someone’s element.”

“You dare to mock a goddess? We have the ability to select a warrior and change their element to the one we represent. You living beings know a lot about our abilities but you don’t know everything.” The goddess was tempted to smite him.

Unfortunately, the Goddess of Light had placed a special protection spell on him that prevented Izabella from harming him.

Storm rolled his eyes. He knew she couldn’t do anything to him no matter how angry she got. “Whatever.” He turned his attention back to Kail. “You’re planning to get revenge against the Goddess of Light? I’d like to see you try. Grow up and get stronger. When you think you’re ready, we will face off in battle.”

He sneered at Kail as he spoke. “Be warned: I will be far stronger than you when that time comes. I will be training as well. For now, I won’t tell anyone. Well, at least until you’re fifteen. The test will tell everyone for me.”

With that, Storm left the room. Kail was shaking from his anger and fear. He had hoped to be able to keep everything a secret before running away at age fifteen.

The Goddess of Darkness huffed. “That bastard is too cocky for his own good. Alright, Kail. I’ll go find you a teacher. We’ll have you start training in secret. I don’t trust that brat to keep his mouth shut.”

“But I’m five years old. Who would want to teach me?” Kail refuted.

“I know some people who will have no qualms about teaching a kid,” she said before going silent. She had left.

Kail sighed and sat down on one of the couches sitting against a wall. “No doubt Storm will be working to make my life a living hell.”

The rest of the day passed slowly and tensely. Kail was woken up early to prepare for the meeting with Prince Diacus. Kail couldn’t stand the preparation and wanted nothing more than to go back to bed.

The servants made quick work of getting him ready for the day before he left for the palace a few hours later. Kail looked out the window of the carriage as they made their way to the massive palace and capital.

It would take them about three hours to arrive. The scene that passed by slowly changed from fields on either side of the road to a forest and then to the large wall around the capital. There were several people set up outside, selling wares and mystic services.

“Mother, what is going on?” Kail asked quietly, curious about the festivity in the air as they continued past the gate.

His mother, whose name was Esmerelda, smiled. “The Harvest Festival will begin soon. Do you want to go this year?”

Kail became a bit excited. “Yes, please!” His first event in this new world! The idea of being able to actually participate in a fantasy festival was a dream of his. He lost himself in thought as he wondered what the festival would hold as they continued through the capital.

The palace was soon revealed when they left the residential and market areas. The palace was a beautiful shimmering white and gold. A few other smaller palaces were set in orderly fashion just behind it on either side.

A giant flag bearing the emblem of the Skye family was hoisted up on a tall pole at the castle gates. The emblem was of an orange bird with long tail feathers that was flying while carrying a sword with one foot. A sun was behind it, its rays radiating around the bird.

1