8
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Spider leaned against the table. “Contracts are made normally through giving the spirit an offering. If the spirit likes the offering, they will make a contract with the living. But there are those who will force a spirit into a contract. Though that method has been locked away.”

“What is the method?” Kail asked.

“It’s a spell. The spells binds the spirit with a magic collar. It’s more like slavery than a contract,” Spider explained. “I once went through it myself when I died. My people couldn’t let me go and forced me to serve them till I was freed by a Phoenix family member. That’s why I’m here.”

“Why would your people do that to you? And I had been wondering why an elf spirit was here.”

“I had been the guard against the Giant Night Spiders. They terrorized my clan for a long time. But as I grew up, it was discovered that I could control the spiders. They used me to keep them away and even to the point where we used them for purposes like battle.” Spider sighed sadly.

“I wish things had been different. I was foolish and let myself be blinded by their showers of material objects and affection. Only when I was killed did I discover the truth.” He looked down at Kail. “There is one more method of contract. If the living and the spirit form a bond, they can make a contract with a simple oath.”

“Really? What’s the oath?” Kail was finding this contract stuff interesting.

“Before I tell you, would you like to make a contract with me? I willingly offer you my powers so that you may walk the path of darkness unhindered.” Spider smiled as he spoke. “I sense you will bring the darkness element back from the brink of extinction.”

Kail smiled and nodded. “Yes, I would like to make a contract. I will do my best to save our element.”

Spider held out his hand. “Place your hand in mine and repeat after me.”

Kail stood and placed his hand on Spider’s. He felt anticipation and nervousness spreading through his body as a hum filled the air. The air around them began to shimmer beautifully with many colors.

“When I say ‘living,’ you say ‘death.’”

Kail nodded and Spider closed his eyes.

“Child of living.”

“Child of death.”

“This bond between us is pure.”

“This bond between us is pure.”

“I gift my powers to this child of living.”

“I gift my powers to this child of death.”

“I will not harm this child of living.”

“I will not harm this child of death.”

“I willingly intertwine my life with this child of living.”

“I willingly intertwine my life with this child of death.”

“I hereby announce my commitment to this child of living.”

“I hereby announce my commitment to this child of death.”

The shimmering colors suddenly shot towards their hands. The colors combined together to form a band around their wrists. Power shot through their bodies and Kail felt his strength surging.

He watched as the band turned black and Spider’s body solidified as if he were alive again. The black mana that once formed his body was gone. Kail was mystified by that event.

Spider opened his eyes and chuckled. “It is always a strange feeling to walk among the living again.”

“Wait. So does this mean other people can now see you?”

“Yes.” He lifted his hand and pointed at the band. “This will tell you what my element is as well. Anytime that you see this band on someone, it is an indicator that they are in a spirit contract.”

“What if someone makes it a tattoo?”

“They can’t. The divine casted a spell a long time ago to prevent that. Anytime someone thinks of making a band as a tattoo around their wrist, they will be shocked. It isn’t strong enough to kill them or gravely injure them though.”

“I see.” Kail found it odd but if they wanted to keep it clear who was in a spirit contract and who wasn’t, then measures needed to be taken to prevent confusion.

Spider snapped his fingers and black webs formed around his hand. “It is great to use my magic again.”

Kail found it cool that he could use webs like an actual spider. “That’s amazing!”

Spider went quiet for a moment as a dazed look took over his face. It was gone quickly. “You’re from another world?” he asked in complete shock.

Kail was surprised to hear that question. “How did you know?”

“When a contract is made, the memories of the living are passed to the spirits. Not all of them but enough to where we can figure out exactly who we’re serving. Your first life was so tragic. The world you lived in is so different from this one. How are buildings that tall and made of glass?”

Kail smiled a bit. “They’re called skyscrapers and they have a metal frame hidden behind the walls and windows.”

“How curious! What are those moving large objects on wheels? They’re like metal carriages but in such strange designs.”

“They’re called cars. It’s actually short for carriage.”

“You had the darkness element even in that life?”

“Apparently the demon king blessed me with it.”

“Wait...you’re a warrior selected by the Goddess of Darkness?!”

Kail couldn’t help but laugh at the bombardment of questions. Spider seemed like a kid right now. “Yes. She is the reason why I’m here.”

“Amazing! I really lucked out on a contractor.” Spider shook his head in disbelief. “I knew you were special but I had no idea you were this special. To think the Goddess of Light put you through so much tragedy in your first life.”

Spider let out a hum. “I did find it odd that Storm had suddenly changed to the light element and the Purification branch. Originally he was supposed to be of the fire element and the spectrum branch.”

“I knew it had to be possible to change someone’s element!” Kail complained.

Spider nodded. “It is very possible but it’s rare. It only happens when a divine being chooses a warrior or if someone uses unorthodox methods to force the change.”

“Unorthodox methods?” Kail echoed.

“Yes but I don’t know much about them other than that they exist and that it can cause the death of those who use them.”

“You would need some serious ambition and will to put your life at risk to change your element,” Kail said as he came up with an idea. “What if someone were to force the element change on someone else? Is there a method for that?”

“Perhaps. We would have to explore old ruins to find it. It would stop Storm from being your enemy. There is also a way to take his element away from him completely and leave him forever powerless. That is also an unorthodox method.”

“Ha! This world is truly amazing the more I learn about it.” Thanks to Spider, a plethora of possibilities to win against the goddess had been given to him. “I just hate that I’m stuck in a child’s body.”

“Even with my abilities, it will be quite difficult to poison Storm,” Spider added. “You will have to go to the black market to obtain some without leaving a trail.”

Kail was disappointed to hear that. “I figured as much. Where do I go to get some poison then? Do you know anyone who is part of the black market business?”

“Unfortunately no. Though I do know that most dealings are hidden within taverns and bars. I was in a few dealings myself but those people are long gone and those locations are far from here.”

Kail felt like the door to cheating a victory against Storm was closing. “There wouldn’t happen to be a spell that can make me into an adult temporarily, would there?”

Spider grinned. “Why, yes, there is. It’s a lucrative spell that can be learned by anyone with the will. You’ll have to spend quite a bit of money to obtain it though. Perhaps one of the spell shops will have it. If not, we can always see if we can find it in the palace.”

“You and I are going to get along just fine,” Kail said with a smile, liking how he was thinking.

After their talk, Kail went to his room. Spider used one of his spirit abilities to hide himself from the others at the request of Kail. Kail didn’t want to be discovered so soon about his contract with a dark spirit.

If anyone found out, it could put a damper on his plans. Kail still did not hear the Goddess of Darkness as he sat in bed that night. The God of Death’s raven was back at his window, asleep this time. It had even made a nest.

Kail envied its ability to fly freely wherever it wanted. He wished he could come and go so easily. But those days are far in the future. One day, I’ll be able to sit down and relax without worry. He had always wanted to be able to live simply and happily without wondering how soon the next horrible event would occur.

Now that he had magic, he didn’t doubt that he would finally be able to obtain that dream.

0