9
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Kail and Spider sat together in Kail's room. Spider was looking over a map that Kail had taken from his father's office.

"Here. This is where my clan used to live. We should make a stop there when we leave. There's spells and artifacts that I'm sure you would find useful for your journey." Spider's finger was on the middle of a mountain range known as Ametrine Range.

It was named as such for the ametrine minerals that could be found there. The beautiful purple and yellow gem was popular among Fire Mages. Ametrine was perfect for those who wanted a boost in their magic's strength. It only boosted the fire element so mostly Fire Mages purchased the inexpensive gem. There were currently four mines where ametrine could be found.

"What is the name of your clan?" Kail inquired as he circled the spot with a red marker.

"U-na-tsi. It literally translates to snow. My people are snow elves. Typically we have the ice branch of the water element. There are a few rare exceptions like myself. We were probably the first to discover the use of ametrine. We would use the rough gems to cook, create weapons and those who did not have the ice branch would use them to keep warm," Spider explained.

"Ametrine produces its own heat?" Kail had figured it would be a simple gem with just a strengthening feature.

Spider nodded. "We would use our ice abilities to control what temperature of heat was produced. This prevented accidents for the most part. Apprentice mages typically struggled the most with it so most times the accidents involved an apprentice or two."

"How curious," Kail mused.

"Did you have ametrine in your world?"

"Yes but it was a simple gem. It did not have the powers that you know of but it did look the same. It was cheap too. Just like it is here." Kail had been surprised to have found a similarity between the two worlds when he read about the mountain range during one of his days in the family library.

"It still boggles my mind that there is a place with no magic."

Kail smiled. "It shocked me when I learned there was magic here." He looked back at the encircled location. "Is there a chance that the U-na-tsi clan survived after all these years?"

"Yes but it's a slim chance. The Giant Night Spiders were a menace to my clan. They reproduced faster than we could kill them. They could have been annihilated by the creatures."

Kail lost himself in thought. "If I try to send someone to investigate, I would be questioned about my intentions," he thought out loud. "It's too far to investigate myself. My absence would be noticed shortly after we leave."

"Has the shadowy goddess not spoken to you yet? She might know."

Kail shook his head. "I haven't heard a word from her in a while. She might still be looking for someone to teach me."

"She may end up recruiting a Night elf. Their natural element is darkness. They're very difficult to track down though because they stay hidden from the world to protect themselves." Spider's words made Kail look up.

"There's people who naturally have the darkness element? Are there other elves like the Night and Snow elves?" Kail asked.

Spider nodded as he placed his finger in the middle of a massive forest known as Star Forest. There was a red border outlining the forest. The center resembled that of a five-point star. There was the marking of a mine that had been crossed out with a red 'X'.

Kail only knew the name and nothing about this forest. "Why is it in red?"

"Star Forest is a forbidden zone. This is because it is a place that radiates dark mana. The forest was once a haven for those of the darkness element. You used to be able to find hundreds of Dark Mages in the forest every day, absorbing the mana for a variety of reasons. Mostly to get stronger."

"What about the mine?"

"You could find star diopside there. It's a unique gem that's black with four to six-ray white stars. The gems are somewhat rare which is why there is only one mine. Typically the stars are made during the cutting process after the rough mineral has been obtained from the mine. These gems were essential for Dark Mages. They had a healing ability that was sought after by Dark Mages throughout the years."

"I'm guessing that's because Light Mages cannot heal Dark Mages in terms of grievous wounds. They're natural in opposition. Blood Mages can't heal Dark Mages either?" Kail had not expected such information. That would mean he would need to be careful with his body during his journey.

"No, they can't. It is unclear why the darkness element rejects the blood element in terms of healing. But thanks to the star diopside, Dark Mages were able to solve that problem. Absorbing dark mana also helps with the healing process. If one could not obtain a star diopside, they would seek out dark mana," Spider explained.

Kail listened closely.

"The Star Forest was also once home to a city of Night elves. But when the war between light and darkness was at its peak, that city was destroyed." Spider went quiet for a moment, sadness written on his face. "That day was a massacre. I lost my life that day. I had gone there to help fight to protect the city. But the Goddess of Light had created far more Light Mages than we realized.

"The army she sent to destroy the city was massive. According to records, there were about a hundred thousand Light Mages. The Dark Mages numbered fifty thousand strong in the city. At first, we were winning because of the strategies we used. Then her warrior showed up and changed the flow of battle. That insanely powerful bastard was able to kill a hundred Dark Mages with one swing of his sword."

"That's incredible," Kail breathed. That showed just how much the Goddess of Light hated the darkness element.

"I don't know where the bastard came from," Spider continued. "He just showed up one day. For about ten years, he was legendary among the people. It was said he stopped the fight between demons in the Plain of Demons."

Kail's eyes widened at his words.

"What was his name?" Kail demanded.

Spider arched an eyebrow. "For some reason, I do not remember." He furrowed his brows in thought. "I should know his name. I know information about him but not his name."

"That's because a spell was placed on you to block out your memories of him. The Light Warrior's name was Oppor," Kail said as he circled the Plain of Demons on the map. "I already have plans to go to the plain for my own reasons but now we will go there as a way to unlock your memories."

Spider was confused. "But how do you know that my memories are blocked? Why the Plain of Demons?"

"The Goddess of Darkness told me. The spell was powerful enough to affect everyone alive during the time it was cast. I don't think she is able to get rid of it though because it most likely has to do with the Goddess of Light."

Kail was excited at the prospect of learning forgotten knowledge through Spider. "The Plain of Demons was where the battle between the Light Warrior and a person known as The Bloody Claw took place. It had nothing to do with the demonic race," he went on.

"If we go to the scene of the great battle, we might be able to unlock your memories by interacting with the God of Death there."

Upon hearing Kail's words, Spider frowned. "But the God of Death is dead. No one has replaced him. How do you expect to meet him?"

"He's not dead. He visited me in my dreams and watches over me with his ravens," Kail said as he got up from the chair he was sitting on. The two had been at his desk. Kail went over to his bed and got on his knees.

He reached under the bed and pulled out a leather journal. He hurried back over to the desk and opened the journal. Inside were entries of his time in this life and a to-do list. He grabbed a pen from one of the drawers and added to the list a small description of unlocking Spider's memories.

Spider laughed a bit as he watched. "What a turn of events. I had no idea that I would have memories locked away. I am quite curious to remember this missing information."

"We'll head to the plain first when we leave," Kail said as he wrote down the learned information in a new entry. "I made a promise to help the God of Death as soon as possible."

"We might also learn why a replacement God of Death has not been found while we're there," Spider said as he looked back at the map. "There are too many reports of the undead wreaking havoc across the world."

 

0