Chapter 6: Class selection
196 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[

Ah, I am so proud of you. Look how far you have come. You have managed to survive your first day in this new world. I have been watching your progress so far and I have to say I am really impressed by your growth and character. Impressed enough to give you a price. You know what I think you might even have what it takes to be the best of the best.

I am just fucking with you.

This is another automated message like I would be so free to watch any of you runts. This beautiful one has a whole world to run if you have not noticed. You survived for a day, big deal. I hope you are not stupid enough to forget just how long humans are supposed to live. If you had a hard time surviving for a one day, you might as well go kill yourself now. Save us all the trouble.

I am just messing with ya. But serious you will be better off dead. Things will only get harder from here and those who are stupid enough to overestimate themselves will be the first to go. With that piece of advice from the beautiful me lets get this over with.

I have to first tell you that I have retracted the Calm Mind skill. It was mostly there to help you get assimilated into this world: help you stop thinking about the morality of your actions if you ever had to kill someone and to stop you from crying like a bitch afterward. It was there to help you make sense of this world with having your brain explode, that kinda stuff. Do what you will to survive I always say. The other gods also wanted me to tell you how your Sanity Attribute works. I am against this as it takes away from the fun of the game, but apparently, all their candidates died out young because they did not put any points in it. You think I am wrong when I call you lots stupid. Most of you idiots would have allocated zero points towards Sanity if you were given the choice. I can bet this entire world that you would have done the same if you were also in charge of the Intelligence Attribute as well. Bunch of dumpfucks.

Think of Sanity as the threshold of how much your brain can take before it collapses. You don’t “use up” Sanity whenever you experience something intense and then regenerate it back over time like Mana. No, Sanity works more as a line you don’t want to cross. For example, if you have 100 points in Sanity, you can handle watching somebody else die in front of you. But 100 points might not be enough for you to handle it if someone you love is killed right in front of you. Those numbers are just hypothetical and don’t articulate to real life, but you get the idea. Just keep that Sanity par high. Of course, there is more to than that, but those are for you to discover. It wouldn’t be much fun if I told you everything, now will it.

There, I explained Sanity to you, let us see if any of those old geezers dare complain to me again, see if I don't slap them silly.

Anyway, as a price for finishing the tutorial, you get the chance to select your class and subclass and officially join the game. You also get Attribute points and new skills depending on your class selection. Oh, ain't I just the best? There is no need to answer that, I know I am. There is no need for an insect like you to state the obvious. Now you go and level up fast, the battlegrounds have been running low on cannon fodders highly trained soldiers.

]

Another demoralizing letter from the Admin. I wonder why she has to be the one to always send these letters if you don’t want to do it let someone else do it. Why make me suffer for it. I also need to make a mental note to stay as far away from those battlegrounds as possible. Well, unless there are pretty girls there, I must not forget my goal for coming to this world.

We still have not made it to town, Maya told me the earliest we’ll get there will be by nightfall. We have been walking for hours now and I only got the chance to read the letter when we rested under a tree. It was noon and neither of us wanted to walk for hours with the sun right on our face. Maya had decided to take a nap, giving me the opportunity to finally read the letter.

Again, the letter was filled with bullish as before even though it was a bit darker: some more bragging of one narcissistic goddess, actual important information that I care about like the class selection and some hints about the crazy shit that await me. The class selection was something I really needed. I have been asking myself all day long about how I was going to get my hands summoning spells. I had for sure thought I wasted all those Attribute points on my Mana and was even considering changing my build. But god damn it, couldn’t you have let me pick a class earlier. What is the point of making a build if you are only going to let me choose the class after I almost died?

Never mind, it is not like damn motherfucking goddess can hear me anyway. Let get started with the class selection. I opened up my Status screen to learn the names of new skills.

Name: Felix Casimir

Race: Human

Age: 23

Level: 1

Title: [Outerdweller] [Lost Sheep]

Karma: Neutral

Class: None

Subclass: None

Mana: 87

Sanity: 54

Stamina: 14

Agility: 5

Active Skills:

[Summon Item]

[Onetime-use Class Selection]

[Onetime-use Subclass Selection]

Passive Skills:

[Master Linguistic]

[White Space]

* You have 20 Attribute points to spend

I guess I really did lose the Calm Mind. I am going to miss that skill.

“Class Selection,” I whispered to myself not wanting to wake Maya up.

A new screen popped up in front of me. The screen had a total of 12 boxes laid out in a 4 by 3 grid. In each box, there was a class to choose from. I did not expect so many options to choose from. Most of the classes were the generic RPG classes like warrior, mage, rogue and so on forth. But there were quite a few classes that caught my attention. There was a monster hunter class, a class I wanted ever since that stupid Lizard almost bit off my leg. The monster tamer class also caught my attention because I do want to tame a strong beast to fight for me. But there was one class that blew my mind away: the God Slayer class.

I could not believe that such a class was even an option. Does that mean that if I choose this class I can potentially kill that pesky Admin goddess? Wait, why would she allow people to choose such a dangerous class. There must be a trick to it. It must either be a hard class to level or must have some serious limitations. Something like a boost in attack damage, but only when facing a god or something similar. In any case, my goal is to make a harem, not killing gods so it is not my thing anyway. Besides, I almost got killed by a random monster a day ago. Killing gods is not my highest priority right now, but it is interesting to know that such a class exists.

After looking around some more, I ended up going with the mage class anyways. While I was interested in the monster taming class, I rather not actively look for monsters while I can help it. After choosing the mage class, the screen changed and a description of the class appeared.

Class:

Magician

Description:

Makes it easier for the users to level the Mana attribute, learn magic spells and unlock magic skills. The user also gets the [Regenerate Mana] passive skill.

The window also gave me the choice to go back or confirm my choice. I went back to the selection menu to check out the other classes. They all gave the same buffs. The warrior and monster hunter class made it easier to level up stamina. The rogue and hunter class made Agility easier to level. The only ones that were different where monster tamer, blacksmith, engineer class and all crafting related classes. Instead, those class gave bonuses on those specific crafts. For example, the engineer class gave the [Intelect] Attribute to level, which affects your understanding of complex machinery.

Sadly the god slayer class turned out to be just as I suspected.

Class:

God slayer

Description:

Allows the user's attacks and skills to be effective against a god while also giving them a 25% boost in all attacks when facing a god. The user also gains the [Divinity detection] passive skill which allows them to sense the presence of a god or their avatar.

The divinity detection skill seems interesting, but the 25% boost is nothing if your still level 1. Such a class is a cool thing to have in the endgame, but for a starter like me, it is a suicide invitation. I went back to select the Magician class and confirmed my choice.

After confirming the class change in my status, I went on to choose my subclass.

“Subclass selection,” with those words a new grid screen popped up with new choices. Luckily for me, there was a Summoner subclass. The other Subclasses were the priest, the glyph master, the battlemage and the necromancer. I really wanted to try out the battlemage subclass, but after remembering how low my stamina was I decided against it. Hopefully, there is a way for me to switch subclass later on. I also wanted to try out the necromancer subclass, but I don’t want to deal with the issues that come with it. I don’t want some religious cult followers going out of their way to fighting me to death every time I used a necromancer skill. With that, I picked the summoner subclass and confirmed my choice.

[

Skill upgrade!!

Summon Item –> 2.

]

Nice, I was not expecting Summon Item to level up so soon. I guess changing my subclass must have caused the skill to level up. I hope this level up decreases its cooldown period. It is such an OP skill and with it, I don’t have to worry about being defeated by anyone at the same level as me. I also finally gained actual summoning skills, I can finally put those 87 Mana points to use. I wonder what their effects are.

Skill:

Bloodpact

Description:

The user is able to use his blood to bind a creature as his familiar, given that the creature in question is willing. The user is then able to access the Status of his familiars and give them commands.

Warning: Powerful familiars can refuse to follow a command and may harm the user if an attempt is made.

Familiars: 0/3

Mana cost: 20(-10%)

 

Skill:

Summon Familiar

Description: The user is able to summon a familiar to their side.

Warning: Powerful familiar may outright refused to be summoned or even harm the user if an attempt is made.

Cool down: 20 minutes

Mana cost: 40(-10%)

 

Skill:

Summon Item (level 2)

Description: A skill that allows the caster to summon any nearby object to their hands. The range of the spell and the level of the item that can be summoned depends on the level of the user.

NEW: The user is now able to use the [Bloodpact] skill to bind one item to himself and summon that item without using up a charge.

Cast time: 3 sec

Charge: 3/3

Cooldown period: 60 min(-10%)

 

The Summon item level up was not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a cooldown period reduction, that combined with my summoner subclass I could have brought down the cooldown period even lower. But I guess you can’t always have what you want, better get started to figure out the limitations of this new skill. For example. is the summoning range for the item also 15-meter radius or can I summon it from anywhere? Can I unbind an item and bind a new one after a while? That last one is going to be tricky to test out as if I am wrong I could waste my skill by on a spoon. Well, even then it would make eating more enjoyable getting a spoon whenever I need one.

I finally got some real summoning skills, I am starting to feel more and more like a proper mage. But I wonder if I can use the Bloodpact skill on a human. The description states creature and humans are technically creatures. Besides, I would rather have a cute girl as familiar than a fox. Not that I have anything against foxes, it is just that they are not the same. As I was thinking of all of this, my eyesight landed on Maya who was sleeping peacefully right next to me.

I wonder?

Goddamn it, Felix no, don’t even think about. You just made a breakthrough with her, no need for you to make things weird again. With that, I waited in silence for Maya to wake up. Looking at her sleeping face, I think she did not sleep last night. With her thinking that I was after her body, she might have spent the night in her tent thinking I was going to attack her at any moment. And now she was trusted enough to sleep right next to me.

I don’t want to be one to toot my own horn, but I got to say I did an excellent job boosting Maya’s moral. I do feel a little bit guilty for lying to her about my past, but that was done for my own safety. Besides all of those were white lies, I had no ill intention towards her.

“What are you staring at?” Maya asked suddenly opening her eyes. When did she wake up? Imagine if she woke up while I was testing the skill on her.

“I was just admiring your sleeping face. Did you know that you smile more when you're asleep than when you're awake?”

“Huh, did your master teach to say that to every girl you see?” Maya asked picking up her bags and getting ready to move.

“No, she only told me to always tell the truth to beautiful girls,” I answered grabbing my own bags.

“Huh, really smooth. Wasn’t she the same master that refused to teach you magic? When did she start teaching you how to flirt with girls?” Maya waited for me to get up before continuing our walk back to town.

“She did not. She mostly told me that so I would never lie to her. She was quite the narcissist, to be honest.”

“I find that fact a similarity between the two of you.”

“What gave that idea? I am a down to earth guy. Have you seen me boast once ever since we have been together? I didn’t do it even after I killed that monster and saved you.”

“And you just boasted.”

“Hey, It is not boasting if it is true. I did take down a strong beast all on my own. ”

“Don’t let that get to your head, you almost died in the process. While this area is mostly save being so close to town, don’t let your guard down. A monster could attack us at any moment.”

“Don’t worry, I know my limitations. By the way, are there any Summoner adventurers that live in the town.”

“No, most of the mages in the town are either Priests or Elementalist. Why do you ask?”

“It is just that I am planning to be a Summoner and wanted to ask them questions. I guess that is not possible.”

“I am sorry, most Summoners are often nobility or rich merchants who are not that easy to meet. Most adventures have a hard time feeding themselves let alone another creature and considering how hard it is to find a strong familiar and how long it takes to train them, hardly any mage choices to be a Summoner and those that do don’t live long enough to teach others. Did you already pick your subclass, if you have not it is not too late to change it.”

“I am afraid I have already chosen my subclass. Is there a way for me to change it.”

“I am afraid not, you have to level up before you can choose another subclass to level. But there are a lot of experience adventures in the guild you can ask.”

“It is fine, it is not the first time I am at a disadvantage. You are being awfully helpful today, what happened? Did My charismatic character charm you last night?”

“And you say you don’t boast. No, I just decided I will be your guide from now on.”

“Guide?”

“You said this was your first time leaving your master's side so you probably don’t know much about the outside world, in that case, I will be your guide. Feel free to ask me any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them. And since you did save my life and I consider you a friend, you will get a discount for my service.”

“You are actually still planning to charge me for this?”

“I see you don’t want me as your guide,” Maya whispered, “ It must be because of my eyes. You don’t want to associate with me after what I told you, right? Don’t worry I understand.”

“No!” I exclaimed and quickly explained myself, “That is not what I meant. I have no problem with you being my guide.”

“Good!” Maya responded with a smile, “first payment is due at the end of the week. Let's get going then.”

“Huh?”

What just happened?

3