Chapter 136 – Discussions
118 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Boren, any idea where his rooms are?” Aarav asked, looking for any way to find out about the man’s whereabouts. Boren simply shrugged but then it was like a lightbulb had turned on in his mind, and he smiled.

 

“I just thought, what is the one place that knows where everything is? They have to know?” Aarav just looked at the excited young boy, confused. The guard was doing the same when Aarav looked back at him. Finally, Aarav shrugged and motioned for Boren to continue. Boren just rolled his eyes, smile widening further as he exclaimed, “the kitchens, of course!” A light sparked in Aarav’s eyes then as well.

 

“Come on then, let’s go. At least then we will know where the man is, and we can bring the most annoying treasure hunt in the world to an end.” Aarav griped. “How are we going to get them to spill the beans on Haemish, though? It isn’t as if they would just tell anyone? And what about Cook? The last time I saw her, it was not a fun experience, and I wasn’t even in the line of fire.”

 

They proceeded to make for the kitchens post-haste as they continued to talk. “We are going to the kitchens, but why would they spill beans?” Boren said with confusion. Aarav waved him off.

 

“Nevermind, I mean, how are we going to get them to tell us where his room is?” Aarav asked.

 

“Cook? You mean the nicest, sweetest, most welcoming head of the kitchens we have ever had in the palace? You can just leave that questioning to me!” Boren said, a fond smile forming on his face.

 

At those words, Aarav actually stopped in the middle of the corridor, and the guard might have stepped on him if he hadn’t stumbled and fallen flat on his face at Boren's words as well. Cook’s temperament was legendary in the palace. Could this boy really be in that much of a bubble that he didn’t know what she was like?

 

Aarav turned, gaping at the guard who was just lifting his head from the fall. They just both exchanged looks in a surprising show of camaraderie that could only be in the face of knowing the true personality of the Head Cook. No one said anything, and Boren also seemed oblivious to the commotion he had caused in his two companions this evening. Wow, this kid is really clueless about the people that work in this palace.

 

The guard, a little flustered from his fall, just cleared his throat and continued to step forward behind them. Boren looked back and asked, “are you alright? Sorry, I didn’t ask your name.”

 

Now doubly embarrassed by the question, the guard just cleared his throat again before replying. “No need to apologise, your Highness. My name is Ordric, sir!” For some reason, the man felt the need to do a full salute at this proclamation before continuing walking. Aarav was facing forward, shaking his head in amusement. I suppose it is propriety, isn’t it? I just haven’t been following along.

 

Boren took it in stride, his royal training shining through. “At ease, Ordric. Happy to have met you. Thank you for escorting us so far and on this merry chase to find the elusive Haemish!” The prince’s good mood had not diminished at all. In fact, it seemed to have become brighter at the prospect of meeting his precious Head Cook.

 

“We’ll let you do the talking with Head Cook then since she is so sweet and caring.” Aarav's voice dripped with scepticism, but Bren clearly had a relationship with her that was different to everyone else’s. It makes sense since she effectively works for Boren.

 

“Yes, I think that makes sense.” There was an audible sigh from behind him, and Aarav quirked a smile seeing the guard expression from his third eye at the back of his head. Having that third eye was insanely helpful, and he didn’t know why humans weren’t designed that way from the beginning. It was totally ridiculous.  But then, Humans had been weakened by their ability to create and use machines to make life easier. The human body needed to do less and less for itself. Oh well.

“In fact, it might be better if we wait outside the kitchens. You know how Head Cook likes things to be kept clean, best if we stay out of the way.” Boren continued to nod along to Aarav's suggestions. It was all Aarav could do not to roll over the floor laughing as the tension in the guard's shoulders seemed to slump further. Aarav thought he was in grave danger of melting into a puddle on the floor. Clearly, this guard knew the Head Cook, and very well indeed. Perhaps he had had a run-in with her? Either way, Aarav would need to get the story from Ordric, and it was bound to bring him a few laughs.

 

“Good idea, Aarav, Okay, I will go in alone. Head Cook might not like to have others there, and I have seen that she seems a little less welcoming when others are with me. Not to me, of course, just that she prefers I come alone. Though she is too nice to say it to my face, I know.” Boren was quick to add the last part.

 

“Yes, of course.” Aarav said, trying to sound as sincere as possible and most likely failing. Thank god I have never spoken to the woman; if I never have to, it’ll be too soon. She sounded like a true tyrant.

 

In short order, they were in the kitchens. They were exactly the same as Aarav remembered from the bag pretending to be a patch of grass. Busy and chaotic, but work was getting done. As discussed, both Ordric and Aarav waited outside the kitchens, much to the rest of the staff’s amusement, and Boren entered the beast’s lair alone.

 

Usually, Aarav wouldn’t allow the sheep to enter a wolf’s lair alone. Still, in this case, the wolf would be the doting grandmother.

 

As Boren continued into the room, Aarav watched from just around the corner, poking one eye past the wall to monitor his progress. The kitchen staff constantly passing him on their way in and out of the kitchen continued to smirk. Then the dragon entered from one of the side pantries, and all mirth was stripped from their faces. No one could smile if faced with a fire-breathing dragon.

 

When they finally met in the middle of the room, there was a hush that had fallen. A little of the clanking of pots and pans was the only sound permitted as the two spoke. Even so, Aarva had a hard time hearing them. His hearing was still nowhere near the levels of an average human, let alone a power enhanced one. So he contented himself with keeping an eye on the woman before him and waiting for Boren to conclude the conversation.

 

About ten minutes later and a lot of giggling on the Head Cook’s part. Boren returned to a shocked and spluttering guard and Aarav. “Forgive my saying this, Prince, but I have never seen Head Cook act that way, ever!” Ordric could still only gape at the retreating woman who had the reputation of a dragon.

 

Boren laughed, “of course she does! She is always like that with everyone!” Aarav just patted the guard’s hip in commiseration since it was the highest part of the guard he could reach. Still, the gesture was appreciated nonetheless if the guard's nod to Aarav was any indication.

 

“So that was a long conversation Boren; what did you manage to find out?” Aarav asked, prompting him to divulge the information.

 

“Oh, right, of course. Yeah, Haemish is in one of the towers, on the Northern side of the palace, closer to my own chambers, actually.” Boren said, his cheeks once again flushing with excitement. The next step in their treasure hunt had been revealed. “Come on! I know the way!”

 

Aarav rolled his eyes at the boy’s excitement but then just followed in his exuberant wake.

 

It felt like the sun had fully set, and darkness had come in by the time they reached this part of the palace. That was the annoying thing about having a big house. Everything took ages to get to. In truth, it was probably already getting dark when they were in the kitchens, and the walk took them twenty minutes but wow. It was a trek! Aarav was just thanking his lucky stars that they didn’t run the whole way. Otherwise, his Stamina would have bottomed out long since, even with restored regeneration levels.

 

“Okay, this way!” Boren seemed to get more excited the closer they got. “Why don’t I show you my rooms first! That way, you will know where to come to find me if you’re going on any other adventures.” It truly felt like the child Boren was in complete control now. He seemed excited, and there was no way Aarav was going to rain on his parade.

1