Chapter 145 – Preparations
119 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a lot to do before they were ready to attend the Academy since Aarav had no idea what was required. The next few days passed with Boren and he being fitted for uniforms, urgh! Apparently, the faculty of the Academy thought that everyone wearing the same clothes meant that they would get along better. Yeah, as if that ever worked in any school! For Aarav, that was particularly difficult with his regularly changing size and shape. He had to keep to the same body size; otherwise, they would need to make him something new each day. If only it would be as simple as that. It was challenging to handle his inconsistent intake and required him to eat regularly like any other living creature.

 

Eventually, he settled on eating the bare minimum after reaching the 10 kg threshold, which seemed to work. Still, he gradually started feeling more and more unstable as the days went by. Eventually, he knew he would need to Consolidate again, but hopefully, it would not be before he started. He found out that they would both be staying in a room provided by the Academy, and only the staff would know who they both were. The rest of the students would remain oblivious. This meant it would be high school all over again for Aarav. The Prince would have to behave like a regular person, something that he was suspiciously good at when Aarav put him through the paces.

 

“You’ve done this before, haven’t you?” When Boren smirked guiltily, he had his answer.

 

“It’s hard to get around when everyone knows you are the Prince. Even in the Palace, it is nice to have a little freedom to explore. I couldn’t get out of the Palace so easily, not that I hadn’t tried. Still, it seems them being distracted by a fairy in their midst was enough for me to finally surmount the last obstacle.” Aarav gave him a droll smile and then continued organising the things he was likely to need. Paper and pens or stationery, in general, weren’t really a thing here, so his packing consisted of the uniforms that sort of fit and some of the Mana potions Haemish had given him. He still had enough for about a month, but Aarav resolved to learn how to make more himself. He didn’t want to be caught with his proverbial pants down.

 

Aarav had to agree with him and that he, by association, would have a much more normal experience. However, he wasn’t sure if that was something he wanted. At twenty-three and a half years old, did he really want to go back to school? Primary school, but still. With a bunch of nine and ten-year-olds? Not exactly fun times, was it? Still, he couldn’t deny the good it would do for him to gain a proper foundation in this world to understand their customs and rules and how to advance more effectively.

 

“What else do you have to organise before we go?” Aarav asked, unsure where to take the conversation but unwilling to let the silence stretch. “I don’t see you organising anything, and you know you will have to do it yourself when we get to the dorms, and you can’t expect me to do it for you.”

 

“Don’t worry, I will, but I have the staff helping me pack just this once. I will do it in the room, I promise!” Boren was eager to be off, and Aarav was concerned about the Academy. He hadn’t thought all of this out and fully understood the implications of what he was stepping into. He would be entering the Academy as a commoner, not a Prince or even a noble. There were always cliques in these environments, and children could be brutal. Aarav knew first-hand what they could be like from Earth, especially if you were from an underprivileged background.

 

“Whatever you say, buddy.” Aarav left him to it. Leaving the rooms, they shared here to go back to the lab and check on the experiments he had Haemish had started after his recovery.

 

***************************************************

 

Fifteen minutes of non-stop walking saw him in front of Haemish. “Why is this place so damn big!? I can’t get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Isn’t there any room closer to the lab? How long does it take you to get here?”

 

Haemish chortled loudly, only adding to Aarav's annoyance. “First day jitters, eh?” He asked.

 

“No! It just takes ages to get anywhere in here!” Aarav complained, then in a much quieter tone. “Also, maybe a little of the jitters thing.”

 

Haemish chuckled again. “I would not worry about it overmuch, and you will settle in soon enough. And I will still need to work with you regularly regarding the experiments.”

 

The Slimes had grown substantially this time. Aarav wasn’t sure if it was the increased density or the Consume Skill evolving. Now things moved faster, even for his offshoots or offspring? He wasn’t sure what to call them, but the Slimes were growing impressively, now each contained in their own buckets.

 

A part of Aarav was a little sad that he would not be able to oversee the day to day progress personally. Still, it was equally important for him to learn what the Academy taught. Boren, at least, seemed excited he allowed some of that to infuse his mood.

 

Nothing remained now and Aarav knew he was just stalling for time not wanting to leave familiar ground. So much had changed in such a short time. If he had been told three weeks ago that he would no longer be living in the forest he would have laughed but slowly it seemed to be getting further and further away. The Slime wasn’t sure how he felt about that. No time to think about it now anyway. There are more important things to be about.

 

“Okay Haemish, I’m off, hopefully I can come back regularly to check on the progress. Don’t do too much without me!” Haemish simply waved him off and it made Aarav feel a little better that the man was not treating this like goodbye.

 

Aarav then slipped out of the lab and on to Boren’s room where he knew the young Prince was preparing. He should have been as well but couldn’t bring himself to do it. What would he prepare anyway? He didn’t need clothes or dental hygiene or anything else for that matter.

 

They would be heading to the school dormitories in their new disguises tomorrow morning. Apparently someone would be coming to set Boren’s. Aarav’s was less important since he wasn’t a well known celebrity in this city, or country for that matter. He would stick to his fairy façade and see how far that took him. Hopefully if he could get to a higher Tier his weight restriction would be lifted and he could become a normal sized boy. Knowing his luck though, that was unlikely.

 

“Boren, are you there?” Aarav called as he walking into the room with the fear inducing bear on it. “How are you getting on?” There were servants everywhere, it seemed the Prince hadn’t been exaggerating when he said this was the last time he would have things done for him. Aarav hadn’t seen this many people packed into one space since the market. He dodged and weaved between people until he found the Prince quietly sitting in a corner of the room while everyone did his work for him. I guess there have to be some perks to giving up your freedom and space.

 

Boren grinned as he saw Aarav coming toward him through the crowd. “No more servants after today so I am making the most of it!” The young boy said through the bustle.

 

“I can see that. Any chance you can get them to pack a few things for me?” Aarav asked. “I have no idea what sort of thing I will need but anything would be better than none and if we are going to be sharing a room then that works for me.” Boren nodded and waved one man over before quickly issuing the order.

 

The rest of the evening and then night passed in a blur, the two of them discussing specifics of the Academy and what things Boren was looking forward to the most and how the hierarchy worked, they would be entering at the bottom just like everyone else since they did not have the backing of any noble houses. But hopefully with dedication and focus they would be able to advance in their chosen classes.

 

Unfortunately Aarav as a Slime couldn’t not get a class, not from lack of trying but Haemish had told him that if he had not achieved the class yet even after all the work he had been doing then there was some other barrier to his progress. Aarav suspected it was to do with his Tier 4 status and how sentient creatures existed in the higher Tiers. Only a matter of time, I will get there. I just need more time.

3