Chapter 1: Rebirth
2.2k 9 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An endless void surrounded a soul. They stared into its vast expanse, not knowing anything. Suddenly tears began opening in the darkness, bringing color in the form of horrifying monstrosities. Their cryptic whispers reached the soul, with hopes of this one joining the ranks of the monstrosities. But before anything else could happen the soul vanished.

***

The de Vermillion estate housed the duke of the west and his family. The grounds were maintained and clean, the garden kept, rooms well decorated and comfortable, the hallway barren, but spotless. All around the property, there was no sign of human life except outside a bedroom where the staff was crowded around an open door. Inside a beautiful woman with orange hair lay on a bed with a handsome man, a priest, and an old lady around her bed. The woman lay gasping with her hands holding her swollen belly. Loud screaming began filling the hall and soon after the cry of a baby was heard as well.

The baby was soon taken away from one room to another by the old lady while the man lay holding the young woman's hand. Tears streamed down his face.

"Don't cry, Johann. It's okay. We knew that someone cursed the child to die, I should die than the child." The woman said, raising her other hand to touch his face, wiping away a tear. "Don't blame yourself or the child. It's my choice and the one at fault is the one who cast the curse

"I could take the curse. That way you could raise the kid."

"If you did, who would keep the other dukes in check? Next thing you know, well be invaded from the north and the south. They fear your power, thus are scared to make a move." She goes silent before beginning to cough out blood. He runs over to his wife asking if she is alright, as the priest runs behind him to see what happened. The man turns to the priest, shaking him.

"I THOUGHT YOU SAID SHE HAS ANOTHER HOUR?" He yelled shaking the priest.

"S-she di-di-did. I-I don't know-ow what ha-happen-nned." He was unable to speak clearly due to the shaking, which he wished would stop because it was starting to make him dizzy. 

"Johann *cough* stop it you're *cough* making a fool of yourself." The woman looked at the man sternly before letting out another mouthful of blood. She looks at the priest, calmly, before asking, "So what is the issue?"

"Someone must've sped up the curse. I don't know how, even with everything we did and set up. They must be a powerful wizard or cursed priest if they could do this, more powerful than we could handle." His gaze filled with empathy to the man in front of him. "There's nothing we can do now except seeing her final moments," he said.

***

The soul woke up, and not seeing into endless darkness, was relieved. They were unsure of where they were now and how they got there, but they were in a crib, looking up at a relatively fancy wooden ceiling, carved into shapes of knights and dragons. They tried moving around but failed to do so, and were stuck looking up with squinty eyes at the world above them.

Looking at the familiar shapes and symbols, her head began to hurt as information rushed into her head. A life on earth, with a school, office job, and more. She remembered her parents, who had died after she finished college when they were getting on in the years. She remembered her failed loves and attempts at picking up girls. She also remembered what happened to her most recently, her death. She was walking home, bored of her slaving self scrunched over a desk, typing for hours into the night. She pulled an all-nighter and started to walk back home excited for a break off work, with no work left to complete. On the way, she got distracted by a newly released galge, one of her favorite genres due to her failed love life. She went to the bank to get some cash to pay for the game, as she left her purse at home the day before. She was thinking of how unlucky she was waiting at the end of a long line in the bank, when as if the gods were playing tricks on her, seven men dressed in black, wearing masks, stormed the building. Many of them had guns which they began to point everywhere they yelled for people to get on the ground. She dropped her head to the floor, hoping the robbers wouldn't notice her. It was quiet for a while, the process going to the robber's plans when a child started crying. Upon hearing this, one of the robbers panicked and moved his gun towards the source. He pulled the trigger to end up hitting a woman who ran in front of the crying child.

Well looks like I was reborn. Maybe god's gift for my good deed? Right? Her thinking about her new situation was interrupted by a door opening and an old woman looking at her from above. Although her smile was bright, her eyes were teary, and on the verge of crying. She looked down on the baby saying words in an alien language, before reaching down to stroke the baby's head. Although she couldn't understand, the baby felt soothed by the words, and now the song of the woman in front of her, and begin to lose track of her surroundings as she focused on the song. The door then opened once more, and this time a handsome man by nearly everyone's standards came to pick up the girl. Is this guy my father? He's got some good genes, I hope I inherited a few of his. The man picked up the baby, his tear-stained face having a strained smile Why does everyone seem so sad? Was there a funeral before I was born? His embrace was warm, comforting, and safe, a feeling unknown to her for a long time. Slowly more questions came into her head, each one more simple than the one before until finally consciousness slipped through her grasp and she fell asleep. 

 

Announcement
FYI this is the beginning of the rewrite. If anyone notices a disconnect between this and future chapters, please forgive me as I probably haven't reached there yet.
69