Chapter 6: The 6th birthday
971 10 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the week passed on more and more of the employees left the mansion as their replacements came in. Ivana learned that they had been threatened to be tried for treason. Their replacements were greedy, unskilled, and always looked at Ivana with jealous, hate-filled eyes, wishing that they could have what she had. She felt isolated, alone in this mansion. She slowly started hiding away from the gazes, trying to escape into her memories, wanting to go back. 

A month later her father returned. She was elated at his return.

“Papa, you’re finally back!” Her father smiled, but she could see the weariness in his eyes.

“Hello sweetie. Where is everyone else?” Her father was confused at the lack of reception. Hearing this Ivana looks down feeling ashamed. She mumbles her answer to her father. “What was that sweetie? I couldn’t hear you.”

“The duchess fired them all. She said she would try them for treason.” Ivana refused to call the duchess her mother. That filthy woman could be dying and she wouldn’t care. Her father looked at her in disbelief.

“SHE DID WHAT?” The duke was fuming. Half of the staff were there when he was raised. How could that bitch just get rid of them all? He slowly put Ivana down before storming his way through the mansion. Ivana followed behind him. He marched right up to the duchess' room and upon entering immediately began yelling at her. But then it quickly quieted down and the duke left the room shortly, despair written all over his face. Ivana runs up worried.

"What happened Papa?" Upon that the duke clenches his fist.

"I can't do anything about it. She has the full support of her father. Even if I could get rid of him, some greedy bastard will take this opportunity and impose even heavier restrictions after taking his place."

"Then when I grow up, I'll get rid of all of them! That way they can't bother Papa," Ivana said, making this her new life goal. Her father smiles at Ivana, hoping that one day his daughter doesn't go through the same hardships as him.

I'm sure many of you are somewhat confused on why Ivana keeps changing her viewpoints/perspectives. The way I kinda imagined this situation is that because she's a kid and I think kids should have low attention spans. IDK, I'm not a kid.

***

Congratulations on surviving until your sixth birthday!
Initiating system...
System load successful

Ivana woke up in the morning to a little status screen in front of her. She had been waiting for this since she learned of its existence.

"Status!"

Initiating status...
Status load complete
You have unlocked pure water and pure wind magic
You have gained skill Library(Epic)

Reminders
You cannot distribute status points until 12
You cannot gain a class until 12
Unless they have a special skill, your status cannot be viewed by others

Name: Ivana  Age: 6
Race: Human
STR: 6 END: 4 INT: 15
DEX: 5 LUK: 7 WIS: 3
 
Skills: Library(Lv.1), Water Magic(Lv.1), Wind Magic(Lv.1)
Titles: Princess

No way! An epic skill and two magic types at 100% synergy! Ivana was ecstatic. If she had gotten a common and uncommon skill, it wouldn’t have been worth it all, cause she could have gained those skills by herself. And two magic types were nice to have. Let’s check it out! She clicks on the skill name and another window pops up.

Library(Epic): Lv.1

The user remembers everything after they gain the skill. They can recall anything at need. They can also touch books to store information for later use.

+2 to intelligence per level
+10% growth to intelligence-related skills
Mastery of every written language

This wasn’t what Ivana was expecting, but it was still a great skill to have. And who knew, it could evolve into an even better skill!

She jumped out of bed and ran to tell her father the news. On her way there, she passed by a maid who suddenly stuck out her leg and tripped Ivana. Ivana went flying and hit her jaw on the floor.

“Owwie,” Ivana groaned, holding her chin. The maid seems to revel at the fact that she could bully someone of a higher rank than her.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there," the maid says teasingly. Ivana gets up and glares at her. 

Wait till I tell Papa. Then you won't enjoy it. She then continues down to her father's study where she knows he'll be working. She enters the room when she hears the duchess' voice.

"Come out with me today. We need to get some clothes for Brian's 6th birthday. We'll have a splendid party in the capital and all the other nobles will envy us."

"I can't. At least not today. It's Ivana's birthday and I would to spend it with her."

"You'd rather spend it with that disgusting half-born than me? Remember why those filthy commoners you care about so much are alive. One word to my father and within a month they'll all die."

"You disgust me. You're jealous of a child. Why? You know I originally had the same thing planned for her as you do for Brian but no, you blocked it with the same threat. You would've been hanging in the gallows if it wasn't for your father." Silence envelops the area.

I was supposed to have a party? Ivana was annoyed. She had wanted to make new friends for ages but just because of the stupid, ugly duchess coming she couldn't do anything she wanted anymore.

Ivana then hears large thumps coming to the doorway. She runs behind a potted plant in the hall and sees the duchess exit the room with a smile on her face as if she had won. After making sure she left, Ivana ran inside the room only to see her father weeping, looking much older at the moment. With this, the invincible image of the duke came crashing down.

Announcement
So I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew but I decided to make a new story to enter in the second tempest contest. It's called Dark Hero of Music. This is kinda the opposite of Villainess in a sense because I planned the beginning more rather than the later/middle sections. Here's the link.

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/380699/the-dark-hero-of-music/ 

Hope you enjoy it!

50