Chapter 9: Forest of Secrets
870 7 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Her butt hurt. The saddle was uncomfortable and Ivana wanted to go home. It had been 3 weeks since they had left the castle and they had lost any sight of civilization as fields of tall grass gave way to trees. They had entered the northern territory. Her horse trodded on the bumpy road, jostling Ivana around, making her wince at the pain.

I swear to god, I need to learn how to fly. This was only something high-tier mages could do. Most had different methods of doing so but the entire concept had been dubbed “fly”. Zogard noticed her pained face and called the troops to a stop. The 30 of them slowed before dismounting. Ivana dropped off the horse saddle, happy for relief from the pain.

“You okay mistress?” Zogard asked her.

“I’m fine. And how many times have I told you to call me Ivana? I’m not the young mistress anymore, I‘m a knight!”

“Fine, fine, I’ll call you Ivana,” he sighed out.

“OBJECTION. You said that last time too.” She posed and accused him of his crime.

“What are you a judge? Instead of mistress, should I call you your honor instead?”

“Just call me Ivana! I’m not a kid!” This banter continued for a while and Ivana began to feel better. Then it ended when Zogard called for them to pack up and continue. While watching him direct around the other troops. Even though he was a battle maniac, he was also pretty smart. He could’ve easily been a commander if he went to the center. Suddenly a soldier tapped Ivana on the soldier.

“Mistress, we got to go now. Could you get on your horse?”

***

Upon nightfall, the group stopped in a large clearing meant for traveling merchants, a few who they passed on the way.

“Mistress, would you like to hunt?” Zogard asked her. He was hoping to teach her how to hunt. But this phrase annoyed Ivana even more. They wouldn’t stop calling her mistress.

“Hmph, you can go hunt yourself. I can eat my rations.” She was upset at all of them, they wouldn’t stop even if she asked them to. 

“Mistress, that is a terrible idea. Rations are for emergencies, it would be better to hunt when we can.”

“Fine, I’ll hunt by myself!” Saying this she runs off before they can stop her.

They treat me like a kid. I’m grown up now! I bet I could beat half of them in a fight. Ivana wanted to be treated like an adult, to be their equal. She had run quite the distance from the camp, having no idea where it was now. Hearing no sign of pursuit from the knights, she tried to clear her head and focus on hunting, having never done it before. She stopped between the trees keeping a lookout for signs of life. It’s just shooting an animal right? I don’t have a bow but I have my sword. Thinking this, she began to coat her blade in mana, shaping it into the spell she wanted. She discovered a simple method to do so. Magic was based on runes, which her library skill allowed her to store and abuse. The Ivana in the game used this to be a merchant with master crafting skills, but Ivana had no plans to enter that path. It wasn’t the cheat ability that made the user but the user that made the cheat ability. Suddenly some rustling in a bush disturbed her thoughts

Mana Bolt,” she whispered. Mana began coating her blade and it launched forward in a thin bolt

“OWWW, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!?”

“YOU IDIOT, OUR COVER IS BLOWN. EVERYONE ATTACK.” Not expecting humans, Ivana began to run away, jumping over trees. The sudden sound panicked her. She was fearful of what the sketchy men were trying. She looked behind her and saw armed men dressed in light, ragged clothing running after her.

“CATCH HER!” a man in the front yelled. “IF WE CAN SELL A MAGE LIKE HER AS A SLAVE. THAT MAN WAS RIGHT, SHE DOES HAVE SPECIAL MAGIC!” The panicked Ivana began to run even faster after hearing that. While the west banned slavery, the other regions didn’t do so. She had heard the horrors of slavery from the maids, eavesdropping on them. It was oftentimes a fate worse than death. 

“GET AWAY YOU FREAKS! Tidal Wave” She yelled. She coated her blade in mana once again and launched it back towards her pursuers. This time it was tinged blue and spread out to hit them but the spell suddenly vanished. The bandits started smiling. They were beginning to catch up to her. Suddenly an unseen rock wall loomed over her. She had run into a cliff and was now trapped. She was surrounded as the men began to enter on all sides.

Tidal Wave,” She yelled again, trying once more. But just like before, the magic disappeared right before hitting the bandits.

“You can’t run now little missy. You’re trapped. You thought you could beat some common folks like us, but you’re useless without your magic. We’re lucky that that rich-looking guy gave us this after telling us about you.” The lead bandit said. They all had drawn various weapons and began to close in on Ivana. Suddenly one leaped forward, slashing downwards.

His movement is really bad, he has no finesse, Ivana thought as she put up her sword to block. But when the attack connected, her arm felt numb. She gritted her teeth, trying to push back the attack. What the heck? She forgot that there might be a level difference. Even if they sucked at fighting, they could beat her with pure stats. Then the one that attacked first, suddenly kicked out with his leg, catching Ivana right in the stomach. She went flying and hit the rock behind her.

“Uwack!” she cried as pain spread in her body. She stood up again ready to fight some more, but couldn’t feel the sword in her hand. She spotted it in the hands of the bandit that kicked her. She panicked as she realized there was no way to escape.

Someone help me. I don’t wanna be sold as a slave. 

Your wish has been granted. You have been permitted to enter the grave of the 6th hero.

Announcement
So the chapter may be slightly confusing so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them!
46