Curiousity has it’s Burdens (SSSC 6 Writing Contest)
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

SSSCVI Written Contest. I've chosen the first prompt:
VAMPIRE: you see, this town is under my spell
MAN: actually I'm not
VAMPIRE: what
MAN: I'm not enchanted
VAMPIRE: but you did all those chores
MAN: you seemed stressed
VAMPIRE: you dusted my coffin
MAN: I wanted to
VAMPIRE: we had dinner
MAN: it was beautiful
VAMPIRE (Blush)

 

*Entering Level 5 Zone*

Uh...

Only level five?

Well...If I hadn't fallen to such an extent, where I thought I was ganna die...I would have thought that this was a level fifty zone!

How...Boring.

Looking up...To see such a high...Long...Way to climb...I sort of lost my resolve straight away...

Yeah, this sucks!

 

I had a teleport and all but it would take me far away from here and I still had to come all the way back!

I was just getting a herb to help in the dungeon tonight, but no...Curiosity ruined...Everything!

Oh, let's check out over here! Oh, let's check out over there!

Ah, I was like a little rat...Or whatever...

Right, I have to have something that will help me get back up!

Searching through my inventory, I had a rope...A rope that...Was far from the length that I needed!

Besides, how was I going to use it?

Attach it every now and again?

Whatever, I should have something else...

 

'Ten second flying flask', that will come in handy!

'Wings for twelve seconds', man, really! That wasn't easy to get! But...

Maybe I should just teleport away and then come back...

'Feathers to slow fall', I suppose they are easy to get...

'A mage's magic, *Can be explosive*'

...I need to get rid of some of this stuff...

 

Well, was I going to use my cool stuff and waste them getting back up to the top of the...Huge cliff...Or was I going to teleport?

Decisions...Decisions...

Just as I turned, considering now that I had investigated the last little part of this side of the map that I never knew about, I saw a person...Trying to cut down a tree with a knife.

No Kidding!

It was just a kitchen knife and he was wholeheartedly trying to get the tree down, no doubt for some wood...

That was just plain weird...

 

I admit it, I was intrigued...

There it goes! That curiosity again!

Dam this character sucks!

I've nearly died several times in caves, gotten schemed god knows how many times and now...Now I'm looking at some dude throwing arrows at a bird...There was no bow and no...The arrow did not get close to the bird whatsoever, but the dude was so wholeheartedly throwing the arrow at the bird...

What the hell!?

 

Walking further into the level five zone, not having any type of resolve to hold myself back, I saw even more strange things...

People were digging vegetable patches with their hands, giving the horses and what not a real vacation!

People were trying to make fires with sticks, even though there was a more advanced way to do it just beside them...

I saw that the shops sold 'hands' and people were literally trying to get them to work but they were just puppet hands and they wouldn't do a very good job at digging holes or making fires...Well, they would become part of the fire so I suppose they did actually help.

This was...Too weird...

 

What in the world was going on!?

Don't ask! Don't ask!

I really...Shouldn't have asked!

It's done! I can't take it back!

Argh!

Calm down dude! It's only a level five zone...Geez!

Oh right!

Then it's all good! I've got time! Yeah, let's find out what the hell is going on here!

 

After another hour of walking around this strange zone, seeing even more strange things, I started to understand what was going on.

The people weren't complaining, they were all working like a zombie, even some were looking like they hadn't eaten in days!

Some looked incredibly weak and skinny and those were the ones that were doing the most stupidest of things.

There were some that looked like healthier zombies, who actually did use a saw to cut down a tree and use a bow with an arrow to get a bird...

So...Was it me, or was it that these people were enchanted?

If they were zombies, they would just want to attack me but they acted as though they don't even know I'm here...

 

So...Who was it that did it then?

I would know when I saw them, right, but I can't feel their presence at the moment.

Mmm...

Could it really be that simple?

Shrugging, I look into my inventory and made sure that I have my immunity on, not even sure why I even made sure of this...This was a level five zone after all, I really wouldn't need it!

Whatever...You never know!

 

Thinking that I would only get the see the mastermind behind this when it becomes dark, I already know that I might be delaying a dungeon that my mates and I were supposed to be doing later tonight.

It was a new dungeon that we had already started to clear and the specifications for it was really annoying!

Obviously, one factor was that it was only able to be done at night.

We really did try during the day but there's nothing to kill! Literally, you might as well just listen to the birds!

The harshest thing was that when night came, we would suddenly be overwhelmed with enemies and we had to boot scoot and jump out of there!

 

Another specification to the dungeon was that we couldn't be grouped up together, we had to message each other through the message system, not able to just freely talk, which was obviously a lot harder.

Our healer would have a more horrid time healing, we couldn't even just tag someone and easily have it known that they would be the first to die!

No, everything was to be done by attempting to read someone's mind or through messages!

Even coming up with ideas upon how we would proceed hasn't helped...

The dungeon would come up with random things that would put us off guard and so our so called 'ideas' would just...Fly out the window!

Ah, the dramas!

 

Ah...I was sort of over it anyway!

I mean, my curiosity is a bad thing but when it was held to ransom for so long...It gets tedious and I'm just no longer curious anymore...

And...Doing something different and completely new sounded good! Great even!

The problem was...I had to wait!

It was literally hours away till dark...

 

Considering that I had nothing better to do, I decided to have a nap, pretty sure that it had to be night-time for the mastermind to come out and show his ugly head.

Laying back against a tree, I wondered if the mastermind really knew what he was doing.

I'd seen people who enchanted others and they did a much better job than this!

Perhaps it was someone new that was levelling up their enchanting?

Perhaps it was someone that was playing around with the NPC's?

Whatever, I was interested in finding out!

 

*Message: Hey man! What are you doing!? Are you still on for the dungeon tonight!?*

Sighing, I quickly typed a reply, stating that I wasn't coming.

I had come to the highest part of the map for a reason, which was to get a specific herb, so after this, I still had to get it and this message only reminded me of my predicament!

Really though, has anyone ever been here before?

I mean, when you see a cliff, I suppose it isn't normal to jump off it right!

Haha, honestly, I didn't...Really...Serious!

 

Yeah, yeah, 'so how did you get here then!?'...Shuddup!

Seriously, my character was the one that jumped, not me!

When I made this stupid thing, I choose it to be ridiculously curious and so far...It's been so fun!

...So...Much ...Fun!

Ok, I'll stop, my character is getting all depressed...

He's no fun when he's depressed. He...Doesn't do anything...

What a strange one though, he's like the opposite! Maybe I should yell at him all the time and then I wouldn't get into so much strive!

 

Anyway, I'm guessing that a lot of people didn't know of this place...That, not too far away from the herb, on a cliff edge, there is a sort of track, that there was another place...There was a place like Alice in Wonderland!

I sort of felt like...I was the only one that knew of it...

Feeling good to thinking that I had found a secret, it only gave me more resolve to stay here and check it out!

Perhaps the curiosity of my character actually found something unique that no one else has!

Perhaps I was destined for this!

I wonder if I'll get some awesome loot!

Letting out a crazy type laugh, I couldn't help but think that there could be this slight chance of picking up something great!

 

As I relished in pretend 'loot', a black shadow went over me and I opened my eyes, to see someone walk past me.

Seeing that they didn't do anything at all to acknowledge my presence, I sighed.

Well, it looks like I won't be able to sleep...

Thinking that nobody had made it here, I end up wanting to investigate the area. Maybe there's a chest or some...Cave.

Oh, just the thought of a 'cave' makes me get goosebumps!

 

But...Over another hour of searching for 'loot', I didn't find anything!

Well that sucks...

Seeing the sun slowly...Slowly descending, it was the only thing that made me feel a bit better!

Sigh...

Again, curiosity took me to another level and I then decided to check out the people with more interest.

*Level 32, Human Dwarf*

What the hell!?

How could this NPC be...

What!? Are you kidding me!?

This isn't an NPC!

...I think I'm in trouble...

 

What do I do?

What do I do!?

I was still curious, I was still higher than that poor soul and I was...Still here in the slowly looking scarier place then before...

Really, as the sun descended, the place really did take on a spookier look!

Mirrors seem to show themselves above a lake and...I don't think what they are supposed to do has even started yet!

The cliff...The cliff suddenly looked like mouth that was swallowing up the whole zone...My god, was it that big before...

What have I gotten myself into!?

 

Yeah...I'm just going to get my teleport...Uh?

Wait a second...

Just for giggles and perhaps a more deep throated laugh, perhaps I'll just act like the others here...I mean, I still haven't seen the master mind yet!

Argh! I should go!
No, I should stay!

Dammit, be a man!

 

Growing balls, I decided to fill in some time, trying not to get scared, and helped the idiot zombies do some chores.

I poked some holes in birds in a jiffy, sending out some needles that were, to my awesomeness, absolutely epic!

I tried to make sense of the strange looking house, or houses, but they didn't...Nope...Nothing did!

They didn't have any beds...They had showers!

They had...Coffins...

Really weird...

Literally, there was like fifty or sixty coffins so...I assumed that the people here slept in them...

The scary thing was...One of them was closed!

 

Getting away from the scary, closed, now clean coffin, I then cut down several trees in just seconds, cutting them even more and proudly smiled at the zombie who didn't take any notice of me.

Really?

Come on!

Where's a cheer leader when you need one?

I even used up some useless things in my inventory to get fires started and holes dug up, doing it so quickly that...I was bored not long after...

 

"You have done all the trees! Thank you! I needed them for tomorrow!"

A voice made me slowly...My god even I was freaking myself out now...Slowly I turned to it.

I nearly fell over...

What was I expecting!

Really!

It wasn't this handsome, cute looking boy!

"Oh, great, great! The vegetables are ready to plant! Haha, that's great!"

 

What is he talking about?

He wanted all the trees cut for tomorrow? What for? A huge bonfire?

Why did he want the vegetables planted? If he was a vampire...He wouldn't need to eat...

I was...So confused...

"I'm very happy with you all, come, let's eat!"

Oh...Ok...Sure, why not...

 

Actually, dinner wasn't all that bad!

It seems all those birds that I had shot down had made the meal very...Meaty...

They had used them all!

Scary, what if I had shot down every bird, leaving nothing left ever again...Would they ever eat meat again?

Nonetheless...I liked meat, so I suppose I enjoyed it.

It seemed, the rest enjoyed it too...

What worried me...Is what the cute, handsome vampire was doing...

 

With all the trees, he used his claws to make all these little gadgets that I so desperately wanted to play with but I knew...I knew that they were dangerous!

Sharp spikes, large and small...And...Looking rather...Similar to...

Hang on just a minute here.

I let out a small laugh and shake my head...No way!

Looking at the people around, those who were skinny and eating with a puppet hand.

No...Way!

 

"Mmm, I don't remember you."

Oh...Oh...

I think he's talking to me!

Don't look...

Dammit, I looked at him...Stupid curiosity.

Derr, of course he's talking to me, idiot!

"I'm easy to forget." I let out, trying to be vague and keep the peace.

Honestly, this vampire...He was a lot more scarier now that he was right next to me...

*Level 90*

Holy crap!

 

I should leave!

Right now!

Getting up, holding onto my teleport device, I was just about to use it, when I heard him laugh...

Goosebumps...

Dammit...

"You see, this town is under my spell. All these people were nasty to me and...They deserved what they got! If I brought you here...I can't remember why..."

I looked at the vampire and cringed...

Time to teleport!

"Spit it!"

Uh?

Suddenly my mouth moved, "Actually, I'm not under your spell."

Oh crap!

 

"What?" The vampire blinked and just stared at me. "Say that again!"

Again, my mouth just really 'spat it out'!

"I'm not enchanted!"

Dammit, my immunity wouldn't completely work with a level 90 vampire!

I needed to get out of here and fast!

"You are here..."

Yeah, I think he's just as dumbfounded as I am!

Yep, I'm...Here...

Why the hell am I here!?

 

"Yes, I am here."

The vampire still looked confused, "Clearly, nothing else has changed except for you so you are the one that made me happy!"

Excuse me?

Ok...So, I may not die...That's cool...

"I was trying to help the..."

Zombies...

Zombies...

"Trying to help the..."

Clearing my throat, I told myself not to say 'zombies'!

"Trying to help my...Friend..."

Well...Whatever...If I said zombie, perhaps he would have gotten mad!

"You...Weren't helping...Me but a...Friend?"

Oh...Dammit, maybe I made things worse!

 

"Who is your friend!?" The handsome and cute vampire asked.

Should I say him?

What about...Him...

I pointed at some noob, enchanted woman who looked sorta hot...

Whatever...

"She is your friend? You...But you did all those chores...For...Her and not me?"

I just smiled sheepishly and didn't say a word...

Yeah, this is starting to feel familiar.

I got into trouble a lot and so...

I just wanted to hang my head and cry out that my character was to blame and not me!

 

"I was so happy to have finally gotten ahead! The trees wouldn't have been ready for the dungeon tomorrow! The vegetables for the loot and..."

...Uh?

Dungeon?

I shake my head, yeah...

No way!

"This problem always occurs! People come after me and try to defeat me but all I have time for is to make traps! I don't want to fight, there's just too much other things to do! You know how long it took me to come up with loot that the people like!?"

 

"You seemed stressed..." Was all I could say, but really, my thoughts were elsewhere...As in all the times that I had been in the latest dungeon!

I bit my lip...It couldn't be possible...

This dude was the dungeon boss for the dungeon we've been trying to clear all this time...

The vegetables was a loot but...They were enchanted and had special...

Oh crap!

This was...Wasn't this heaven!

Man, I should get those vegetables!

I should grow them!

'Increased strength', 'Increased Stamina', you name it, all of them by ten percent!

 

"I am stressed! It's terribly hard to be a boss of a dungeon! I don't want to do it!"

I nodded, still somewhat distracted.

Honestly though, seeing this, I didn't want to be a boss of a dungeon either!

"Then, thank you. I also noticed that you dusted my coffin. For that I am grateful!"

Wow, he's so polite!

I smiled. Actually, I never had a conversation with a dungeon boss before...Not that I ever thought I would have...

"It's no problem, I wanted to!"

 

Holy crap!

The smile that the cute, handsome vampire did made me step back in astonishment.

Right...Remember...All vampires are like this...

They want to mesmerise you...

Yeah...Well, it's working!

"This is nice! Normally when I wake and we had dinner, it isn't so...Happy..."

I swear...Some of me just disappeared...

"Dinner..." I started to feel...Enchanted! "It was beautiful!"

"Oh, you...Really!"

Seeing the vampire blush, I felt everything then disappear...

I was a goner...Before I saw black, I suddenly realized that these people weren't NPC's and that...I hadn't been the first one here...

*Your character is now no longer under your control*

Dammit! He never was in the first place!

 
(No ratings, 305 views and 2 favs)
1