Chapter 27: Mystery Statistics
3.5k 11 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vidir's and Aema's watch their tests get carefully inserted into a magical machine similar to a scanner. Vidir's go first: the scanner closes, makes a few noises, then opens revealing the score Vidir got on the test. He loudly breathes a sigh of relief as he manages to pass by three points. Aema's is next: although she didn't ace the test, she got nearly double Vidir's total.

"So, what are your combat skills?" asks Katherine.

"I'm a melee expert. Master of the hammer," proclaims Vidir.

"You don't even have a weapon on you," Katherine replies. "Well, that isn't much of a problem anyway. What about you Amy?"

"Oh, um, you see," Aema looks to Zeruna who tilts her head as a response. "I'm a, um, ranger, yeah! I'm a ranger. Archery is my thing!"

"You don't sound too sure," comments Katherine.

"No, that's how she is!" intervenes Tina. "She's never sure about anything. It's just the tone of voice she speaks in."

Zeruna casts another Greater Appraisal spell and is immediately surprised by the results.

[Name: Aema Caelesi

Occupation: Ranger

Level: ???
Health Points: ???
Mana: 5,000,000
Stamina: 6,500,000

Race: High Human

Titles: ???

Stats:

Melee - ???
Defense - ???
Speed - 20,000
Agility - 20,000
Finesse - 25,000
Strength - 15,000
Vitality - ???
Magic Attack - 20,000
Magic Defense - ???
Total - ???

Skills: Sure Shot MAX, Spellcraft MAX, Mana Manipulation MAX, Mirage Clones MAX, Gate MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX, ??? MAX,]

'This is incredibly fishy; it is only now her data is revealed to me. Why wasn't it before at Caspian's castle when I appraised her then? Was it because she was just summoned? No, unlikely, she could've been in the crystal for decades without actually knowing. She explained it to me herself, it felt as if time never passed while she was trapped which is why she was so surprised when she awoke.'

"An archer, ey?" Vidir says.

"Magical Arrows, like a magic archer — I don't know how best to describe it. Instead of using arrows, I use raw mana and craft it into arrows with different effects, like explosive arrows."

"Ah yes, about magic! Our crystal arrived hours ago!" exclaims Katherine. "It may be a bit pointless now, but Merille and Shi can have their test now. You already are B ranks, but, doing it could increase your rank. I've seen it happen before."

"It isn't repaired; however, it is in an operatable condition."

"Seems like an idea," says Zeruna.

"The brighter the light, the higher your magical levels are."

Yulia disappears into the backroom, then reenters with a crystal ball resting carefully on a pillow in one hand and a diagram in the other. She places it on the desk then requests the three girls to pump as much magical energy as they can into it. Zeruna goes first, only supplying it with a little amount. The crystal glows causing Yulia to look into the paper carefully.

"Not bad! Unfortunately, it isn't enough to raise a rank, it was worth a try though. Next!"

Tina does the same, only providing the crystal with a fraction of their mana. Yulia repeats the same sentence for here. Then Aema steps up. As soon as her hand comes into contact with the item, there is a blinding light followed by a crack darting up the crystal ball. Luckily, there isn't a magical explosion but the deafening sound from it breaking is enough to convince everyone in the Guild building to hunker down.

After a few seconds, everyone starts to stand up. Fortunately, there aren't many other people in the building, which means there aren't many other witnesses. Zeruna and Tina turn to Aema with scorn while Vidir stays on the ground, still in fear.

"No way!" yells Yulia. "You broke it! Don't you realise what that means? Your mana levels on in the same league as the heroes that slew the Zeruna and the Children of Chaos. Maybe even more! The wizards in the League of Heroes could never break the crystals."

Zeruna grits her teeth and twitches in anger for a split second at the mention of those 'heroes'. She nearly balls her fist in anger. She manages to control her emotions before they go out of control again. Her then locks onto Aema who gulps in response to the powerful feeling washing over her.

The man at the Guild bar rushes over. It's the first time Zeruna's gotten a good look at him. It's also the first time she's seen an Elf outside of herself and Tina since coming to this world. He has short brown hair and a pair of sharp glasses. His ears, unlike Tina's or her own, point downwards as if they're forever upset. Zeruna's are relatively long and curl slightly. Tina's ears are slightly shorter than most Elves and curl upwards.

'Alright, Voice of Charm, help me to convince these girls. Psionics, help as well.'

"Yulia, Katherine! What was that!?" the man yells completely ignoring the source of the problem (Aema) and focussing more on the two receptionists.

"Arish, when this girl, Amy, put her hand on the crystal it broke," replies Katherine. "This is Arish Fennijir, Guild Leader in Sevis."

"Which one's that?" Arish barks.

"Me," Aema says quietly.

"Ahem, okay. Okay then," the man begins mumbling about something. "Right, I guess that means you mana levels are in the league X-class, or the crystal was still broken and you could merely be an A-class. You are probably a high A-class. Can I have your full name?"

"Amy Lee Orion," Aema replies.

"I have to inform the king of this. Since you broke the crystal, you will have to replace it. Ten gold in costs."

Zeruna picks up the now split crystal pieces and pretends to inspect it carefully. She looks like a pawnbroker looking to see if a gem is real or not. Al she needs is the single-eye binoculars to fulfill the look.

"This wasn't repaired properly. It seems it was strained after I and Merille had our turn. I can mend this."

"You can, great. How long? It normally takes hou–"

Zeruna hands the crystal back to Arish before he could even finish speaking. The Elf stands there dumbstruck, he takes a deep breath to compose himself.

"Not only did you bring back the item that caused the localised wave, but now this? You're quite the extravagant individual," comments Arish. "Yulia, get Aema their card. We have a strength test in the back for warriors."

Vidir got a good score on the strength test, but due to his low score on the intelligence test, his rank was limited to a C. Aema got given an A-Rank even though Zeruna tried to undercut her and get Aema B-Rank; however, Arish was adamant about giving her A-Rank. The reason for this was simple: any adventurer whose rank is above B is required to answer the call of the king. With Zeruna 'spotted' in the general area, it is likely the king may call upon Aema's magical skills.

Zeruna makes her way to the quest board and begins scanning the quests available: goblin extermination, group of bandits, item fetching, subjugation targets, bounties — the stereotypical quest postings expected. Then there's one that caught Zeruna's eye as she reads it.

Possibility of a new dungeon. Investigate the reports of strange mana waves originating in the city of Rigis. Posted by Xander Maul.

Ten silver upfront. B-Rank party required.

'A new dungeon? A rare event in Chroniks, and one that calls for immediate action. New dungeons are usually the result of Liches or Devils attempting to get a foothold in a place. Worst case scenario is that the creator is a Majin. Majins are part of the Demonkin and are incredibly troublesome and chaotic forces who sometimes manage to crawl their way out of the underworld. I would know (Varsarius). Most have a level exceeding 400 and live for destruction making them not only a massive pain, but a huge threat.'

"We're taking this!" declares Zeruna to her party.

"Whatever you say," Vidir replies.

"Possible new dungeon? Shi, could this be a Majin?" questions Tina.

"You always know my thoughts. We have a sizeable amount of money, so accepting a quest isn't necessary. I came over here out of curiosity anyway and saw that. Rigis is quite close to Tevin (the border village). If there is a dungeon there, monsters will certainly make their way to nearby places."

"Seems troublesome," Aema comments. 'I thought Fantasy stories like mine would be a lot less dark and more whimsical. First, a crazed Vampire. Second, this person in the body of the villainess of my web novel that I didn't get to finish. Now, a Majin causing trouble. Wait, Majin. Could it be a reference to an old anime? Dammit, I can't remember the name for the life of me.'

72