Chapter 41: Familiar Strangers
2.8k 18 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryota slowly makes his way to his lavish bed in his extravagant bedroom that could only be fit for royalty. His legs are heavy, and he is dragging his entire body across the room. Despite the state of his confused brain, he's generally excited at what will happen in the future. Orcs, a possible Dragon, that beautiful Zeruna — only three of the things that this infinite fantasy world has to offer. He wishes to explore the world to its fullest as well as its long-eared residents. Especially Zeruna.

But Ryota cannot help but feel homesick already. He knows that he will most likely never see his squad of radically contrasting friends, his calm and loving mother who'd always warm his heart whenever he was upset and his rather perverted fantasy-loving dad who is probably the origin of his love for long-eared humanoids. His uncle definitely had a hand in that too.

"Mom, Dad, Uncle, Mei, Daisuki, Rantaro, I'll miss you forever," mumbles Ryota as he lies in bed.

His body is suddenly heavy much to Ryota's surprise, it is as if something or someone is tightly holding onto him. Ryota sits up and attempts to look at whatever is grasping him only to see empty space. Where is this weight coming from then? The strange weight begins climbing up his body and wrapping around his neck.

In a panic, Ryota tries to throw off whatever is on his neck to no avail. Whatever is mounted atop him is too strong. Then he feels a soft and warm breath on his face. Ryota relaxes as the "assailant's" body slowly comes into view. He then hears a strange mix of quiet whimpering and giggling. The girl has their arms wrapped firmly around Ryota's neck; however, the position of the arms show they have no intention of harming him.

"Who are you?" squeaks Ryota.

The girl looks up, gets up from the hero and bows awkwardly. Ryota looks at the girl unable to fathom words to reply to the situation. He's never seen her, yet he feels something is off. Something odd.

"I'm sorry, Ryota, I guess that was a bit sudden. It's been too long since I've seen you. No, I don't even remember your face; only your name remains in my mind, Ryota."

"Do I know you?" asks a puzzled Ryota.

"You should remember my face; however, I guess my face has developed since highschool, Ryota," the girls leans in closer to him and points to a mole on her face that Ryota had missed in his struggles. "Recognise me now?"

"M-Mei?" stammers Ryota.

"In the flesh."

"How are you here?"

"It's a long story so buckle-up buckaroo," says Mei. "It all started with me suddenly losing a gap in my memory. You see, when you presumably got pulled off to another world, my memories were wiped along with your entire existence by a deity who calls herself the Goddess of Creation. Unfortunately, this led to a tiny mistake on her part. She erased everything about except your bag which had your name on it.

Me, being the nice person I am, attempted to find the person this bag belonged to. Nothing. Not a person in the school called Ryota Sora. I followed the address on the inside of the bag. Mister Sora and Miss Sora have no children due to infertility. Nothing. This 'Ryota Sora' had disappeared from this world completely. Your existence had been erased. I wondered why until the day I died.

Upon my accidental death in 2049–"

"You died? Then how are you here?" asks Ryota suddenly.

"I'll get to that soon. I lived a good life, although I didn't have any children, my siblings had plenty of children. Maybe too many. They were so energetic and fun and filled the strange hole in my heart. Alas, I slipped in the shower like the clutz I am and bashed my head open. 

Anyway, I was confronted by the Goddess of Creation who was forced to reincarnate me due to the rules established by another deity. She suspiciously didn't describe much about this 'other' when I asked and just reincarnated me.

Luckily, I was reborn as a Vampire which is why I haven't aged much visually. I've been alive for 350 years which means I have personally witnessed the rise and fall of Zeruna. Listen to me when I say this, she's dangerous, you can't imagine the stuff her and her subordinates have done."

"350 years? But it's been not even a full day since I got kidnapped."

"The Goddess said that time between different dimensions is iffy and isn't consistent. We could be transmigrated at the same time; you could end up in the past and me in the future. It's complicated and quite difficult to explain properly."

"Are you sure it's okay to tell me this?" asks Ryota.

"Yes, the Goddess of Creation says I can tell anyone who will listen. My allies know of my true nature of being a Vampire, but not an otherworlder."

"Worry not, I've solved the Zeruna problem. I can absolutely handle her without violence."

"Nearly 400 years and you're the same idiot," mutters Mei while shaking her head. "I don't think you realise what you're dealing with, she's a monster. I fought with the members of Azure Azur Azure and the League of Heroes, she by herself nearly killed half of the collective of people."

"She's that strong?"

"I'll list the people she's slain: Cataclysm, Catastrophe, Calamity, Demon King Volomir, Devil Queen Lucretia, Majin Overlord Pent, the World Serpent, Nine Liches of the Sea, Demigod of Souls and I could go on. Barons to Emperors have met their end at her weapons! There have been many who've thought they've had their finger wrapped around her, only to be exterminated like insects by the Dark Elf! Listen to me when I say this: she's not one to be toyed with!" Mei yells. "I've had friends and what I could consider family murdered by this girl. She has no remorse, it's like everything is game to her and nothing has any real impact. I've been waiting for her to come back for centuries wherever she's been so I can have my revenge."

"Mei, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I'm perfectly fine. Everything's okay. Just a bit confused and puzzled myself despite me being here for centuries. You've been here for a day and are doing better than me," following Mei's words, there is an awkward silence.

There is a knock on the door that splits the quiet in the room. Mei waves goodbye while smiling before transforming into a bat and disappearing out the room. Simultaneously, a person walks through the door that Ryota identifies as Merrick, advisor to the King.

He looks around confused for a few moments.

"I could've sworn I heard another person," he mumbles. "No matter. Sir Hero, I know it is relatively late, but the King requests your presence in his quarters. He wishes to discuss, in private, more about you and your world. I wish I could hear; unfortunately, I'm not of high enough status so I have no business listening."

"Wait the hand of the royalty isn't high enough status."

"I imagine what he will ask you will be extremely sensitive information. The orc spy seems to have shaken him too."

"Please tell him I will be there momentarily."

62